Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:33:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  axl's voice in 2006
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: axl's voice in 2006  (Read 15014 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 08:46:06 AM »

As someone who has had some vocal training, I can say with confidence that if he wanted to have a rougher edge to his voice, he could - all that takes is pushing it harder. The ability to produce a clear note is what a singer loses over time, especially when the voice is over-used. If vocal cords are functioning well, and properly trained, air flows through them in a smooth stream and you will hear a clear note. If they are over-used, or if a singer's technique is bad, nodes can form on them, which are roughly equivalent to getting a callous. This harder formation prevents a clear stream of air from passing through the cords, and consequently a note sound rough or uneven. If anyone has heard the difference between how Brian Johnson sounds on Back in Black compared to more recent AC/DC, it's a great example of someone who has really messed up their voice.

As far as how that pertains to Axl, it's going to be interesting to find out. He is a bit of a freak vocally anyway, but in my opinion, he sounds better trained at the 2002 shows, and more operatic now - more like Tate or Halford. On the UYI tour, he was definitely injuring his voice. No one who sings that hard can have longevity in the ranges Axl sings in.

Apparently, you can ask Steven Tyler about all the above, as well.

I'm pretty sure that the throat surgery he had to have recently was to remove the nodules described above.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2006, 08:56:03 AM »

from the boots i heard of the those shows in 2002 it didn't sound all that great....as for 2006....I'll let y'all know in about 3 weeks
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2006, 08:57:50 AM »

from the boots i heard of the those shows in 2002 it didn't sound all that great....as for 2006....I'll let y'all know in about 3 weeks

As the tour progressed, he sounded better and better.  By the Boston, Hartford, and especially the MSG show.....I think he sounded great.

Together again,
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2006, 08:58:45 AM »

As the tour progressed, he sounded better and better.? By the Boston, Hartford, and especially the MSG show.....I think he sounded great.

I was at the Hartford show and he sounded amazing.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2006, 09:00:54 AM »

As the tour progressed, he sounded better and better.? By the Boston, Hartford, and especially the MSG show.....I think he sounded great.

Me too! Smiley

He did sound amazing.

Together again,
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 09:02:16 AM »

Me too! Smiley

He did sound amazing.

Very Cool. Its still one of my favoite nights of my life, but I think May 14th will be in front of it.  ok
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2006, 09:04:47 AM »

I wouldn't know because I had tickets to the show the night after the MSG show hihi

but i heard from people that were there that it was a fucking awesome show.....one of which will be going to the 5/17 show w/ me
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2006, 09:35:54 AM »

Hartford ruled all, I wish there was a sb from it. "She'll be coming around the mountain when she comes" 

Perhaps Axl could just slightly rhasp his voice, not too much but just a little?  I would take a 2002 boot over a 91 boot any day.  He sounded like a dying from in some of those 91 shows.  I'm glad he's attempting to protect his voice now a days
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2006, 09:43:28 AM »

it depends on the shows you`re judging on.....  his voice was simply AWESOME in albany, cleveland and new york 2002...

his voice was the best at vegas 01-01-01 imo. i like how it`s  raspy and very high at the same time.... really great...

in 1991 his voice was really fucked up the most time...  listen to the last couple of songs from noblesville 91... his voice was fucked up and it`s a pain listening to it no    in 1987-1990 axl was perfect though...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2006, 10:41:52 AM »

i think his voice in better has that rough edge everyone is talking aboutr. whats cool about better is that during the verses he doesn't sing high, he sings relativly low but with that raspy edge to it. it sounds amazing.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
gnrlies247
Rocker

Axl- you fuckin' rock!

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2006, 10:53:14 AM »

it depends on the shows you`re judging on.....? his voice was simply AWESOME in albany, cleveland and new york 2002...

his voice was the best at vegas 01-01-01 imo. i like how it`s? raspy and very high at the same time.... really great...

in 1991 his voice was really fucked up the most time...? listen to the last couple of songs from noblesville 91... his voice was fucked up and it`s a pain listening to it no? ? in 1987-1990 axl was perfect though...

I agree, in boston 02 he sounded amazing singing the new songs: madagascar ,the blues; whereas in leeds 02 he didn't sound as good.
I think his voice was really tired at the UYI tour shows because as the band were very popular,they were playing to massive crowds, so axl had to sing louder so they could all hear and he ran about a lot, so they could see him(and cos he wanted to put on a great show).It is weird that from 1986-1990 axl's voice was spot on, but after that he didn't sound the same.I still loved his voice though. Wink
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2006, 10:56:01 AM »

His best voice was between 1985 and 1989, pr?-AFD and AFD erea. Listen to "You"re crazy" or "I used to Love Her" from the Fox night show in 1988, listen to the accoustic part of GNR-Lies, Listen also to the 1985 (or 86) pr?-AFD Roxy/troubador shows at L.A. (on youtube).
He sounded like Janis Joplin. Phenomenal.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:06:37 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2006, 12:17:52 PM »

As someone who has had some vocal training, I can say with confidence that if he wanted to have a rougher edge to his voice, he could - all that takes is pushing it harder. The ability to produce a clear note is what a singer loses over time, especially when the voice is over-used. If vocal cords are functioning well, and properly trained, air flows through them in a smooth stream and you will hear a clear note. If they are over-used, or if a singer's technique is bad, nodes can form on them, which are roughly equivalent to getting a callous. This harder formation prevents a clear stream of air from passing through the cords, and consequently a note sound rough or uneven. If anyone has heard the difference between how Brian Johnson sounds on Back in Black compared to more recent AC/DC, it's a great example of someone who has really messed up their voice.

As far as how that pertains to Axl, it's going to be interesting to find out. He is a bit of a freak vocally anyway, but in my opinion, he sounds better trained at the 2002 shows, and more operatic now - more like Tate or Halford. On the UYI tour, he was definitely injuring his voice. No one who sings that hard can have longevity in the ranges Axl sings in.

great post. just look at Chris Cornell these days. of course he still sounds great on record
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2006, 02:00:23 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the throat surgery he had to have recently was to remove the nodules described above.

I'm sure you're right, and what boggles my mind is that it's the 2nd surgery of its kind he has had. He came back from the 1st one sounding good, but every time I hear him doing that high screaming it makes me cringe because you can't go on doing that forever and expect to still sing Dream On, Back in the Saddle, etc. Cornell is another good example, and Robert Plant is as well. The male voice is not meant to sing in those ranges! (Sounds good, though)
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2006, 02:38:31 PM »

I'm sure you're right, and what boggles my mind is that it's the 2nd surgery of its kind he has had. He came back from the 1st one sounding good, but every time I hear him doing that high screaming it makes me cringe because you can't go on doing that forever and expect to still sing Dream On, Back in the Saddle, etc. Cornell is another good example, and Robert Plant is as well. The male voice is not meant to sing in those ranges! (Sounds good, though)

a male can sing in that high range. the key is to not strain but then its not rock n roll without the straining..it's opera
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2006, 02:46:25 PM »

I hope he's more prepared for this tour. Not that he wasn't in 2002.

jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2006, 02:54:34 PM »

I hope he sounds in NY like he did in vegas, Rhasp, although I think the pitch was off
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2006, 02:59:58 PM »

Ive said this from the beginning

1. He learned how to sing properly That rasp and all that on the Illusion tour was cause his throat was fucked up.

2. He can still do it but this new style saves his voice and doesnt fuck his throat up.

3. Axl needs to turn his fucking mic up. I have no idea why he is so low in the mix.

4.Axl doesnt hit the high notes with his normal vocal power anymore, its almost like he has to go falsetto now to hit those notes which explains the lack of power.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2006, 03:26:26 PM »

a male can sing in that high range. the key is to not strain but then its not rock n roll without the straining..it's opera

Yes, but in opera they just get a woman to sing the soprano parts, aside from the occasional counter-tenor. You're right, though - there is a way of doing it and maintaining range and tone - it's just that most rock singers don't figure that out. People like Dio, Halford, Tate, Dickinson - the more "metal" type singers- have had good success with it, and I think that Ray Gillen would have been fine if he'd lived.

On topic, I'm sure that Axl will bring his A game. I'll find out on the 15th.  ok
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2006, 03:30:05 PM »

I'm almost positive Axl had the nodule surgery done in the early 90's. There was a bigger than slim chance he wouldn't have been able to perform again. This happened to the Spin Doctors vocalist.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: