Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 08:52:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227844 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Opinions on live shows by casual fans
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opinions on live shows by casual fans  (Read 1925 times)
sandman
Legend

« on: November 17, 2006, 09:12:35 AM »

Alot of the long-time posters here have brought friends to shows that otherwise would not have attended, and there are many new posters in these threads that may not consider themselves die-hards.

The overall opinion in these threads is that the shows have been A or A+, myself included.

So my question is, what has the reaction been of casual fans?

are they any more (or less) interested in hearing CD now?

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 09:16:37 AM »

It's hard to tell.  If there was a lot of press etc then the anticipation would be higher.  From my personal experience at MSG I can tell you that almost everyone seated around me were casual fans.  They were on a nostalgia trip and were going to buy drinks etc when the new stuff was played, or shouting "play a fuckin hit".

However, I didn't once hear a shout for an ex-member, or anyone complaining about the line-up.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 09:17:02 AM »

over whelmingly good ok

i attended rock am ring with three friends and all were surprised how great the show was.

they`re all going to buy the album now by the way...

i talked to one of them about the show at a party and he said that the new band convinced him peace

before they went, they were the usual axl/gnr bashers

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
sandman
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 09:18:16 AM »

that was my experience as well.  ok

i went to 4 shows this year and brought 6 people that otherwise would not have attended the show if it were not for me suggesting it.

all 6 were skeptical, and all 6 LOVED the shows. they are all rooting for axl now, and are very interested in, and will probably buy CD when it's released.

in fact, 2 of the people i took to baltimore were "axl-haters", but afterwards they both agreed that that was one of the best concerts they have ever seen (and they have been to a ton).

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 09:53:08 AM »

This is good news. A grass-roots buzz based on seeing shows will do more to help CD than all the promotion in the world. Plus, if people have actually seen them, they will know better than to buy into the bad reviews, and media negativity.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 09:54:22 AM »

I took a casual fan with me to one of the shows in vegas and he was blown away..   and this guy was at the paris show in 92.    He loved the new stuff, he really liked Ron and Robin too.   Although he might have been biased since we met Robin.  Cool
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 09:59:19 AM »

At Worcester, a fan near me asked how I knew the new songs and what they were called.  I told him, though I'm not sure how much he'll remember hihi

At MSG, the security guard standing in front of me asked about the new songs too.  They both seemed to like the new songs and wanted to hear more  ok

Grin

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
BaDoBsEsSiOn418
Rocker

Yowza!

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 10:03:12 AM »

I brought my buddy with me to the Toronto show.  We listened to the leaked/live new songs on the way there, and he liked them.  He really likes Madagascar.

He had a great time at the show (although he was hoping to hear Civil War, Yesterdays, and jokingly said My World), and not once did he have a negative comment about the band or Axl (he said he sounded great live).  He's hoping, like everyone else, that the album comes out soon. 

Why's everybody so obsessed with the album?  Can't you just be happy that Axl gets to hang out with rich fashion designers? -MotherGooseLuvR
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 10:17:16 AM »

I brought a buddy of mine and his girlfriend to MSG....My friend is a staunch supporter of the "old" band who laughs and scoffs whenever CD or the new band is brought up and refused to listen to the new leaks...

He was rocking out the entire show, said Ron was "Unbelievable."  I looked over at him while "The Blues" was being played, and he was going ballistic...His girl said she'd absolutely go again...He still can't seem to get over the braids, however...
rob919
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 10:31:41 AM »

i,ve been into g,n,r since way back and going to the new shows its good to see some big explosions ,pyro stuff kinda like a kiss show with better music
miss bomb
Rocker

nanook

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 10:32:53 AM »

well my friend started out as not even a casual fan back in june, now she's been to 5 shows with me, even flying to america to see them...she's obsessed! quite rightly so though  ok

7.6.6,11.6.6,29.7.6x2,10.11.6
redarmy76
Headliner

OK, Nevermind

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 10:56:59 AM »

I brought 3 buddies with me who were/are fans, but didn't know the new stuff.  They were all blown away at the show, and now know why I blither on and on about GNR

Bitch slap rappin'
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 11:08:16 AM »

It would be interesting to see whether these people would be willing to buy CD-we've all been to concerts where band was really good, but does that euphoria translate into buying the album-went to a Meat Loaf concerts a few years ago, he was really good, impressed by concert a lot-I know his songs, but didn't buy the album-ask your friends if they will buy it-it is an interesting question

libertad
Ellroy
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 11:09:31 AM »

A brought my dad with me to MSG. He knew all the old hits (SCOM, Jungle, Paradise, Used to Love Her, November Rain, etc.) from hearing them on the radio every once and a while and he absolutely loved the show. He thought all the guitar players were amazing (but he liked Finck the best, he kept going on about his unique playing style and that awesome blues jam he played). He liked all the new songs but definately liked "Better" the best. He thought that song was great. He also was very impressed with Axl as well. He kept talking about his command of the stage and was amazed that Axl's voice was so strong live and that he still had the rasp after all these years. All in all, Guns definately made a new fan that night.

"So, for those who believe in the cause...thank you for your support." - Axl Rose, May 15th 2006
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 12:18:26 PM »

U would be surprised how many people I talk to who dont even realize their is a new band.

Others i have talked to have the whole "It isnt GNR" attitude.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Thorne
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 12:26:25 PM »

I know (or knew, rather) a fair few casual fans.

Casual fan number 1: My mum. Took her to the Sheffield gig, converted her for life. She is now almost as much a hardcore fan as me.

Casual fan number 2: My best mate. VERY casual fan, only into the songs like SCOM, November Rain, Don't Cry. After the Manchester gig however...well she had a great time despite how ill she felt.

Casual fan number 3: My dad. Still a casual fan purely because he doesn't have enough spare time to check them out. After the Manc gig he was completely in awe...couldn't stop praising EVERY SINGLE MEMBER!

Casual fan number 4: My sister. Now she was a tough nut to crack. Heavily into dance, RnB.. you get the picture. She came along for the ride at the Sheffield gig. She went to the mall with the rest of the family while me and my mum were at the gig. On the journey we were blasting AFD and Illusions 2. She started to get into it. Then a week later she was a fully fledged nut like ourselves and bought a last minute ticket for the Manc gig...and man was she rocking out!

So this year alone I've actually converted 4 (actually six but two didn't go to the gigs) by taking them to the gigs! peace

If you hate Thornes then don't pick this Rose.....
Crowebar
Sir Puke-a-Lot
VIP

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »

I took my older brother to Torontos show for his birthday present.

He really enjoyed it.

I thought it was friggin' awesome and I'm glad I bought myself a shirt!!!

Wish it hadn't been raining so bad after though.

We both got totally soaked trying to get a cab, which was almost impossible.
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 12:43:22 PM »

a friend of mine came to Hammersmith - she thought they were good.  She is hard to please and only went coz of what Guns mean to music history - she aint a fan.  Think she left as more of one though.  She did not appreciate the long wait though.  I did tell her to be prepared...!
el_loko
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 12:46:09 PM »

My freind go to GNR show in Warsaw, before this he know just DC, NR etc. After concert he starting ask me about ChD everytime Tongue

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 01:01:59 PM »

I took my cousin to the Athens show.

He only listens to Greek music. If you have any idea what Greek music is, then you know that he would normally hate a band like GN'R.

He loved the band and the gig. He became a fan.

Oh, I forgot to tell you that it was his birthday that day, so I bought him a ticket and I gave him a VIP bracelet. That was given to 200-300 people from the promoter (not the band) so they could enter the pit.

Baby Chaos
Headliner

Still searching for a solution

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 01:05:03 PM »

I think the only thing casual fans didn't enjoy was the solo spots. That certainly got a few people's backs up during the Newcastle gig back in the summer.

"Here man. What the hell's all this like? Divna they know I've gotta get me last bus home man?"  Grin

Be Aware of Legacy
Bad Cover Version
Headliner

I've been around for a long, long year

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 01:07:24 PM »

I took a 'casual fan' friend to the Toronto show. To be fair, she LOVED it and said it was one of the best shows she's been to in a while. However...

She didn't get it when I screamed 'Chris Pitman rules!' between songs.

I was the only one in my section at the Toronto show standing and singing the new songs at the top of my lungs (I paid to hear the 'new' stuff). No one around me had any idea what it was the band was playing. She asked if 'The Blues' was new, and I had to tell her that it was played back in 2001, but it hasn't been released yet. Her reaction was 'it was THAT long ago...?'.

Arg.

Huh??   I'd be straight with you but games are just so much fun to play.?   Huh??
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 01:17:52 PM »

My "casual fan" friend said the Huntington show was the best concert he's ever been to. He's still talking about it, actually.
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: