Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  VR To Release 'Melody And The Tyranny' EP
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VR To Release 'Melody And The Tyranny' EP  (Read 76169 times)
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2007, 02:09:36 PM »

If you're not releasing it in the US, then FU, VR

its the record company has say in this, not VR
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2007, 02:43:28 PM »

Riiiiiiiiiight.
Like I said before, it wouldn't be that hard to ask.
Or at least say something about it while they're out pimping the new CD. Oh, by the way, all you people in America waiting for the EP, don't. It ain't coming to you.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #202 on: June 08, 2007, 03:23:29 PM »

Riiiiiiiiiight.
Or at least say something about it while they're out pimping the new CD. Oh, by the way, all you people in America waiting for the EP, don't. It ain't coming to you.

So order it from overseas... there's probably not a big enough market for this EP to make it worth releasing in the US (plus the whole purpose was for people going to the shows to be familiar with some of the new stuff they will be playing).

Besides which, who cares?  You're only getting the cover of Psycho Killer... the other songs will be released in a couple of weeks anyways.
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #203 on: June 08, 2007, 03:26:44 PM »

dude stop complaining and just accept that its not going to be released in the US, your not going to get anything out of complaining so why even bother.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2007, 03:46:12 PM »

i went to my local record store and they didnt even have it on the system....i asked the guy why it wouldnt be on there and he said cuz the singles market is dead in north america

MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #205 on: June 08, 2007, 05:01:01 PM »

Riiiiiiiiiight.

So order it from overseas... there's probably not a big enough market for this EP to make it worth releasing in the US (plus the whole purpose was for people going to the shows to be familiar with some of the new stuff they will be playing).

Besides which, who cares? You're only getting the cover of Psycho Killer... the other songs will be released in a couple of weeks anyways.

Actually, I wanted it for the Psycho Killer cover.
But, I'm over it now.

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2007, 07:05:57 AM »

well, Im IN Europe, and I have been to 5 record stores here in Brussels. none of them had it...so it's not really easy to get over here either. guess I have to order it online or something.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #207 on: June 09, 2007, 08:36:08 AM »

I read something at Sputnikmusic that it was a limited pressing of 5,000 units (for Europe and Australia.)

Here's the quote- "...satisfying one?s curiosity before upcoming festival dates and Libertad?s release on July 3- perhaps that?s why it?s only been released in Europe and Australia with a limited print run of just 5,000."

So if that's the case maybe that's why they're so hard to track down in Europe as well.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #208 on: June 09, 2007, 09:54:50 AM »

If you're not releasing it in the US, then FU, VR

its the record company has say in this, not VR

And you know this how? You guys said the same thing when it was announced that they were releasing this "EP". That turned out to be the bands idea, so it's a safe bet it was their idea to do this as well...
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #209 on: June 09, 2007, 01:16:18 PM »

Umm, kind of obvious the actual band members wouldn't handle numbers and locations like that.
how many to print, where to distribute them. 

the guys said they wanted libertad to be released months ago
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #210 on: June 09, 2007, 02:25:48 PM »

Umm, kind of obvious the actual band members wouldn't handle numbers and locations like that.
how many to print, where to distribute them. 

the guys said they wanted libertad to be released months ago

You people said the same thing about the ep before Duff said it was their idea. It's never the band's idea with you people, it's always the labels idea.  Roll Eyes
SlashRock
Rocker

G'N'F'n'R

« Reply #211 on: June 09, 2007, 03:39:44 PM »

Bought it today for a fiver and it was well worth it. Bring on Libertad!  ok

'Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky!'
Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #212 on: June 09, 2007, 03:46:10 PM »

I want to have this now!!! The release seems to be a bit delayed in Sweden, and the fact that it seems to be limited makes me nervous!

Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #213 on: June 10, 2007, 12:17:51 PM »

I just downloaded the songs. OK I guess. Just 16 was definately better when I saw them live. Psycho Killer cover is pretty good, even tho I don't like the original. And She builds quick machines....well no matter how many times I listen to it it still won't grow on me. It's just not a good song. I was really Looking forward to Libertad being great  but I actually think my hopes have been dashed a bit. Just hoping Let it Roll is going to be as good as I Think it will be.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #214 on: June 13, 2007, 05:14:55 AM »

Yeah, even in the UK, i couldn't find it in HMV, and Virgin didn't have many copies.  Glad i got hold of mine, cost me ?4, and it's a good release.  Not a fan of SBQM, but Just 16 and Psycho Killer are fantastic!  If the rest of Libertad is up to the standard of these two, i'm very excited. 

Seems to have been a great year for ex gunners already, with Izzy releasing Miami (good album) and putting out all this concert material for free over summer and hopefully touring, and VR releasing an EP, Libertad, and touring. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #215 on: June 13, 2007, 07:52:25 AM »

I got my copy in the local CD store today, but I think they only had a couple of copies of the EP. And one of the biggest internet music sites in Sweden (www.ginza.se) says it's soon sold out. I guess it's limited afterall.

don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #216 on: June 13, 2007, 08:12:14 AM »

Well then, it should be worth a few bob in a few years time. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
GeraldFord
« Reply #217 on: June 13, 2007, 10:09:15 AM »

average by Dave de Sylvia STAFF (110 Reviews)

2007-06-08 | 11 comments | 700 views

Summary: There?s little reason to actually own Melody and the Tyranny beyond satisfying one?s curiosity before Libertad drops

?Melody and the tyranny?- that?s only one step away from ?melody and the tranny,? right? It?s like the 80s never ended.

Not so for Velvet Revolver; formed from the ruins of sleaze metal kingpins Guns N? Roses and Seattle bandwagoners Stone Temple Pilots, they?re aiming to dump the dubious ?supergroup? tag with their second full-length album Libertad next month and fortify their position at the top of the hard rock establishment. Though guitarist Slash punctuates the lead track of teaser EP Melody and the Tyranny with sharp glam rock chord stabs and dizzy leads, ?She Builds Quick Machines? bears most of the clich?s associated with heavy rock in the post-grunge era: slick, though sludgy, production; a quiet verse, loud radio-crafted chorus dynamic; and the rehashing of ideas from a previous hit (an all-too-common occurrence known as the ?Nickelback Model?)- in this case 2004?s far superior ?Slither.?

Yet it?s not so much the ?Slither? similarity which is bothersome, rather the sledgehammer chorus which lodges itself in the brain through excessive repetition rather than a genuine melodic construct, and the generally poor standard of the often nonsensical lyrics. At one point, Weiland opines, ?she ran away to Texas, to keep away the excess,? where a rhyme wasn?t really needed at all. Elsewhere he trots out the tired rock clich? ?she keeps her motor clean,? which only makes slightly more sense in the context of the nonsense title. And those are just the memorable lyrics. More convincing are the EP?s two other audio tracks: album track ?Just Sixteen,? essentially ?Hot For Teacher? taken to its logical conclusion, and ?Psycho Killer,? a surprise cover of Talking Heads? post-punk classic.

?Just Sixteen? succeeds everywhere ?She Builds Quick Machines? fails, demonstrating a real musical progression from 2004?s Contraband, albeit with Brendan O?Brien?s typically muddy production style. If ?She Builds Quick Machines? represents the blandest of today?s radio rock, ?Just Sixteen? is as natural and uncomplicated a power pop song as the reader is likely to hear. In the grand pop tradition of challenging established norms through infectious melodies, ?Just Sixteen,? possibly from the pen of drummer Matt ?Jailbait? Sorum, tells of a relationship between a female teacher (Mrs. Jones, appropriately) and her sixteen year-old student which is spectacularly busted when she?s caught giving him head in his dad?s car- anybody who?s watched Fox News in the last year will know what a hot topic this is. Slash is re-invigorated, laying simple blues licks over Dave Kushner?s buzzsaw accompaniment, and Weiland reaches into the depths of his bassy repetoire for the chorus vocal.

Melody and the Tyranny?s hidden gem is a heavy blues reinterpretation of ?Psycho Killer? by way of George Thorogood and the Destroyers. While Weiland stays faithful to David Byrne?s vocal, the band take liberties with the arrangement, substituting the original?s clean, funky guitars for slide and wah effects and a heavy, plodding rhythm section. The ?Making Of? video documentary is surprisingly lacking in insight, mostly cobbled together from videos released during the album?s production, offering snippets of songs but hardly enough to turn the listener on or off. The fifth and final track is a live video recording of Contraband?s ?Do It For The Kids? from a concert in Houston, Texas, in 2004; this energetic number was chosen to open the band?s set at Live 8 in 2005 and features the memorable pseudo-refrain: ?went too fast I?m outta luck and I don?t even give a ***!?

The relative sparsity of new material included in Melody and the Tyranny is disappointing, though understandable as the album is a mere four weeks away. ?Just Sixteen? will give Libertad?s prospects a whole new complexion for many disappointed by the rock-by-numbers ?She Builds Quick Machine.? ?Psycho Killer? and ?Do It For The Kids? are worthwhile collectors items, at least while the band holds off on a concert CD/DVD, but as a record there?s little reason to actually own Melody and the Tyranny beyond satisfying one?s curiosity before upcoming festival dates and Libertad?s release on July 3- perhaps that?s why it?s only been released in Europe and Australia with a limited print run of just 5,000.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=12314

evergreen_layne
Rocker

People have waited a long time for this

« Reply #218 on: June 13, 2007, 05:02:12 PM »

Not too bad.  He's right about SBQM sounding a little too much like Slither.  The band said they wouldn't have chosen it as the first single.  The record company put it out cuz they think Slither worked so well last time let's just do that again!  I think the rest of the album is gonna blow that single away.  Album sales will hopefully be decent at first and then take off if they release "The Last Fight" and "Just 16" as singles.....

11.08.02 - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
12.10.06 - Everett Events Center, Everett, WA
12.11.06 - Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #219 on: June 14, 2007, 01:30:34 AM »

I read that review, don't really agree with it though, nor the 2.5 rating. The 'EP' is pretty much just a single, and a bit of a preview for Libertad. As a single I think it's great. 2 rocking songs off the unreleased album to get the anticipation going, a cover not on the album, a making of, and a live song. That's pretty awesome as far as a single goes. Lies was an EP- this is a single, and you get alot for what it is.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: