Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:28:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227894 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  CD returns to Best Buy ad...$7.99
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD returns to Best Buy ad...$7.99  (Read 26110 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2009, 08:13:38 PM »

I am beginning to think best buy have this for life.

Usually that is what exclusive means.

Think about it, AC/DC isn't going to be sold at Target or FYE right?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2009, 09:23:23 PM »

I'm sure they're disappointed it didn't sell as well as they'd hoped. It's not like they're sitting on a steaming pile of shit, you know? It's a good record!
What makes you think they're disappointed in how much it sold so far??  Huh

What other "exclusive" did they ever have that sold better??

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2009, 11:48:48 PM »

I'm sure they're disappointed it didn't sell as well as they'd hoped. It's not like they're sitting on a steaming pile of shit, you know? It's a good record!
What makes you think they're disappointed in how much it sold so far??  Huh

What other "exclusive" did they ever have that sold better??

Gwen Stefani's Sweet Escape? I'm just sayin
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2009, 11:56:20 PM »

I know and it sucks compared to CD

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2009, 12:25:46 AM »

It could be.  The only reason we even discuss when the exclusive is going to end is because the rumor early out of the gates was that it was only a 6 month exclusive.  But I'd lean towards it being a "forever" exclusive too.

An update on my tour of Best Buys in the New England area, while travelling for work.  Today I had to go to Rhode Island and I stopped in a very small Best Buy and FINALLY, a store that had the $7.99 on sale price by the CD's.  Although it was kind of hard to see, I had to investigate closely to find it.  But at least it's SOMETHING.  However, it read that the offer was only good through 8/15, which is this Saturday.  So the 2 stores I went to earlier this week that didn't have the sale price visible will never get around to it by the time the sale period ends I'm sure.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2009, 12:29:02 AM »

Wasn't best buy supose to clapse?HuhHuhHuh

Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2009, 04:07:13 AM »

Not that I'm aware of Jdog, could you be thinking of Circuit City, they closed their doors last winter Undecided.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2009, 10:22:14 AM »

Well this is could lead to a few interesting situations, if it is  lifetime exclusive...

What if GNR tours and promotes the album(even a little)? If CD starts to sell BB will have to order more copies, will they?

What if BB goes out of business (trust me, they will), will CD never be sold in the states, or will it be released wide scale?
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2009, 11:01:18 AM »

so fucking awesome... i went to the best buy in hixson tn yesterday, and they had probably a hundred copies of cd on the shelf.  all of them were marked at the super-bargain price of 7.99!  this tells me one thing... they are expecting to sell a shit load of cd's.  otherwise, why fill the shelves like that?  why advertise that amazingly low price?  could this mean that the better video is about to come out?  either that or a major tour is about to happen.  they know there's going to be a gnr storm blowing through that store soon, and they want to get out ahead of it. 

the only thing that sucks is that they had a main aisle towards the front of the cd section where they had "new releases" "top sellers" and "best buy recommends."  for some stupid reason, they put the "greatest hits" of the "old band" in that section, and only had chinese democracy back in the regular aisles.  but it's probably because they wanted to have a hundred copies of cd on the shelf, and didn't want them to overwhelm the whole new release/top sellers/recommends shelf.  but still, they could have at least put as many copies of cd up there as they did of the (pathetic excuse for a) greatest hits collection.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2009, 11:27:05 AM »

Well this is could lead to a few interesting situations, if it is  lifetime exclusive...

What if GNR tours and promotes the album(even a little)? If CD starts to sell BB will have to order more copies, will they?

They supposedly bought 1.3 million copies so CD would almost have to double in US sales before BB was buying more copies.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2009, 11:39:16 AM »

They supposedly bought 1.3 million copies so CD would almost have to double in US sales before BB was buying more copies.

With a tour and promotion they would sell alot quick..

So where are these copies, in all of the stores, in a warehouse??

If 150 stores get wiped right away out because of a tour but others dont, will they order more or will they get them shipped from another store?

If you get them from other stores you run the risk of them being OOS....
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2009, 12:16:04 PM »

So where are these copies, in all of the stores, in a warehouse??

If 150 stores get wiped right away out because of a tour but others dont, will they order more or will they get them shipped from another store?

If you get them from other stores you run the risk of them being OOS....

Best Buy has big distribution warehouses (there's one where I live) where merchandise goes before being shipped to individual stores. I would guess all these copies are sitting in these warehouses plus what's already in stores.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
AtariLegend
Not User Friendly
VIP

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2009, 01:14:04 PM »

A few weeks ago it was still like the best selling album at Best Buy (according to their own website), but not charting. So that means State Side it was supposedly selling around or less than one copy a week per a store.

Quote from: Forbes
NEW YORK -- A Goldman Sachs analyst removed Best Buy Co. from a list of preferred stocks on Monday and said the electronics retailer faces stronger competition from online and mass market retailers.

Analyst Matthew J. Fassler removed Best Buy ( BBY - news - people ) from the Americas Buy List and now has a "Neutral" rating on the stock.

While the company will gain business from Circuit City  ( CC -  news  -  people ), which went bankrupt earlier this year, Fassler said competition will be significant starting in 2010, especially from online competitors, such as Amazon.com Inc.  ( AMZN -  news  -  people ), and mass market retailers. Wal-Mart Stores Inc.  ( WMT -  news  -  people ), for example, has upgraded its brands and presentation, Fassler said.

"Electronics are well-suited to e-commerce given their information intensity," Fassler wrote in a client note. "The Web is a good source of insight on new and complex products."

Fassler also said that Amazon prices its products competitively, especially in televisions when compared to Best Buy.

Fassler's price target is now $43, from $41 previously, which implies shares have room to rise 5.7 percent from Friday's close of $39.75.

Best Buy ordering more copies of the album presumably wouldn't be a good thing.
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2009, 07:44:24 PM »

Not that I'm aware of Jdog, could you be thinking of Circuit City, they closed their doors last winter Undecided.
i remember hearing best buy was also supose to swim with the fishes but i could be wrong

TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2009, 07:10:37 AM »

so fucking awesome... i went to the best buy in hixson tn yesterday, and they had probably a hundred copies of cd on the shelf.  all of them were marked at the super-bargain price of 7.99!  this tells me one thing... they are expecting to sell a shit load of cd's.  otherwise, why fill the shelves like that?  why advertise that amazingly low price?  could this mean that the better video is about to come out?  either that or a major tour is about to happen.  they know there's going to be a gnr storm blowing through that store soon, and they want to get out ahead of it. 

Please be kidding.

There is no band promotion going on for this album. Best Buy have either realized that there will be no promotion from the band, or their exclusive deal is about to end. Either way, its a fact that they have thousands upon thousands of overstock copies of this album. As there is seemingly no sign of any GNR activity whatsoever at the moment, Best Buy are understandably eager to cut their losses and shift a few of the CDs, hence the discount.

How you can leap to the conclusion that this means GNR world domination or even the Better video are right around the corner is beyond me. If we were really about to be in for some 'monumental promotion', they wouldn't need to half the price of the CDs in order to sell them.

And there goes the challenger...
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2009, 07:15:24 AM »

As far as I understood it, Best Buy's exclusivity only expires when they've sold all of the batch that they originally brought.  At this point, it's probably taking up warehouse space that they need for their next exclusive release.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2009, 07:46:50 AM »

Please be kidding.

There is no band promotion going on for this album. Best Buy have either realized that there will be no promotion from the band, or their exclusive deal is about to end. Either way, its a fact that they have thousands upon thousands of overstock copies of this album. As there is seemingly no sign of any GNR activity whatsoever at the moment, Best Buy are understandably eager to cut their losses and shift a few of the CDs, hence the discount.

How you can leap to the conclusion that this means GNR world domination or even the Better video are right around the corner is beyond me. If we were really about to be in for some 'monumental promotion', they wouldn't need to half the price of the CDs in order to sell them.

The only problem is this sale only runs through Saturday and 2 out of 3 stores I went into this week didn't even publicize the fact it was on sale.  So that's not exactly an effective way to push units out the door.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2009, 08:19:46 AM »

Please be kidding.

The only problem is this sale only runs through Saturday and 2 out of 3 stores I went into this week didn't even publicize the fact it was on sale.  So that's not exactly an effective way to push units out the door.

peace  that's what the music is for!  i guarantee that once someone hears one of the new songs on the radio, they'll buy the cd.  or probably mulitiple copies. 
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2009, 08:26:18 AM »

Because hearing two songs on the radio in the run up to release did just that... oh, wait... if it did, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
In an ideal world, great music would sell itself... but this is unfortunately not an ideal world, and having all three parties that should have been putting out all of the stops to promote the record as much as possible in a stand-off yelling that it's someone else's job has practically destroyed the albums chances.  Sales will almost certainly pick up with a video or a tour... but no one seems to be in a hurry to do either of those things, either.  The band, the label and the store have all fucked themselves over by assuming that someone else would do their jobs for them.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »

The band, the label and the store have all fucked themselves over by assuming that someone else would do their jobs for them.

Exactly! This has been a giant pissing contest from the beginning.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: