Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:33:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227916 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl on Sebastian Bach's "Angel Down" album - discussions about the songs
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl on Sebastian Bach's "Angel Down" album - discussions about the songs  (Read 232671 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1560 on: January 07, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »

I have to go with jarmo on this one...you can't compare the two.  I could rephrase it, but I'll just post it again.

Many of us don't even compare this fun project he did with a friend to his own material.

It's like comparing a fun jam session early in the morning to a show that's well rehearsed and features the full production.

Both can be enjoyed for what they are, but the comparisons are a bit pointless. Apples and oranges....

/jarmo

Well said. ok
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:17:33 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1561 on: January 08, 2008, 08:13:36 AM »

Dude ... grow the fuck up and learn to accept when you're wrong.

Ditto.

Comparing a guest appearance Axl made in a day on his friend's album to Chinese Democracy is well beyond my understanding. It makes zero sense.

I could understand if it was some casual rock fan who didn't understand the difference between a one day fun recording session and your own album you put more work into, but you're someone who, at least thinks he, knows everything.

But considering you didn't respond to the points I made and instead insulted me, I guess I should take that as a sign.

Have a good day.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #1562 on: January 08, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »

ditto to norway.

@ Nytunez you're right This is a Sebastian Bach record.
but this is a thread in the GNR section and there's another thread in the bad obsession to discuss the album from that angle.

Yeah, i know..Smiley
But im mostly talking about the Tunes with Axl. I mean.. I think the tunes are awsome "love is a bitchslap" is a "slager" in my cdplayer!
But what i really  mean, is that this is Axl doing favors for his mate. And having fun! This isnt Axl "soulwork". So if these tunes are awsom,
i wonder who awsome Chinese Democracy will be! And if someone thinks that the tunes aint that good, then they sholdent compare them
to whats ahead of us on CD!

Haha! The opening line to Love is a bitchslap are awsome! And also when Axl start singing along! Goooosbumps!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #1563 on: January 08, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »

Haha! The opening line to Love is a bitchslap are awsome! And also when Axl start singing along! Goooosbumps!
But it's so fucking low in the mix...you can only hear Axl good in the end of the vocal notes tho and the "duet" parts peace

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #1564 on: January 08, 2008, 09:06:10 PM »

Dude ... grow the fuck up and learn to accept when you're wrong.
But considering you didn't respond to the points I made and instead insulted me, I guess I should take that as a sign.
Have a good day.

I've learned that from you.  Since it's how you get out of most of the arguments you have here.

I merely said Axl's vocals were sub-par compared to his usual abilities.  And the album overall is not very good.

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1565 on: January 09, 2008, 10:29:57 AM »

Yeah, i know..Smiley

my wording was dodgy. fixed.

ditto to norway.

Nytunez is right This is a Sebastian Bach record.

and this is a thread in the GNR section and there's another thread in the bad obsession to discuss the album from that angle.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1566 on: January 09, 2008, 11:29:07 AM »

I merely said Axl's vocals were sub-par compared to his usual abilities.  And the album overall is not very good.

And I said comparing something done for fun in a day to his previous work is kinda weird.

You obviously think everything should be compared.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #1567 on: January 09, 2008, 12:00:19 PM »

hey, if it wouldnt have been a 2-days-fun-project then chances are high we would also add the Baz cd to our hope-to-be-released-soon-list.

as for my opinion i like Axl's "fun" work on it but 2 of those songs with him ("Back In The Saddle" and "Stuck Inside") unfortunately are just no good songs compared to most of the rest on Baz's album. and yes, his voice could be louder, too.

Re-Union time, baby!!
OreGunsNRoses
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1568 on: January 09, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »

I merely said Axl's vocals were sub-par compared to his usual abilities.? And the album overall is not very good.

And I said comparing something done for fun in a day to his previous work is kinda weird.

You obviously think everything should be compared.

/jarmo
I have to agree with Jarmo on this. And I disagree with the vocals being sub par at all. His voice sounds badass to me, esp in Stuck Inside when he does the part " I know your feelings changed" or whatever he says.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1569 on: January 09, 2008, 03:00:04 PM »

^^I agree with you on the vocals and so do others. Wink

?Angel Down? contains all new material, save one song. Bach and Rose duet on a blistering cover of Aerosmith?s gritty ?Back in the Saddle? from 1976?s ?Rocks? album. The only person who could possibly up the sleaze factor from Steven Tyler?s original vocals is Axl Rose, and he does this masterfully.

-------------------------------

Sebastian Bach, Angel Down (Caroline Records). This long-overdue slab of meathead metal from the former Skid Row singer sounds like it could easily be a totally forgettable record. It's not, though, because Bach somehow got his current BFF Axl Rose to sing on it, and the pair's duet on Aerosmith's "Back in the Saddle" is rock-and-roll ecstasy. ? Brandon Daviet

-------------------------------

A hodge-podge of '80s heavy metal and radio-friendly hard rock, Angel Down kicks off with the face-peeling title track then rolls into the hooky "You Don't Understand," both showcasing Bach's sizeable range and acrobatics, plus his obvious affinity for Rob Halford. The next three tracks feature none other than Mr. Rose on dueling vocals. Stealing Bach's thunder, Rose imbues the duets with sizable grit, making them the most-rocking bits on the album.

--------------------------------

Axl is switched on big time on 'Angel Down'. If he is this hot on Bach's album, I cannot wait to hear 'Chinese Democracy'.

--------------------------------

From Rolling Stone...
Continuing with national radio?s habit of leaking new music, last week a Texas rock station played Sebastian Bach and Axl Rose?s version of Aerosmith?s ?Back in the Saddle,? one of three Bach/Rose collaborations we told you about in August that appear on Bach?s November 20th?s LP Angel Down. ?Saddle? instantly became the station?s most requested track, as well as the victim of numerous radio rips (like this one). More than anything, the song acts as a public-service announcement, proclaiming the Guns N? Roses leader is alive and his voice is very, very well as he takes over the song ? a tough task considering Bach delivers strong with full Celebrity Rap Superstar intensity. Rose adds vocal embellishes to another leaked tune, Bach-dominated post-grunge track ?Stuck Inside,? making us anticipate that one day when Chinese Democracy stops teasing us and finally sees release.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1570 on: January 09, 2008, 04:18:02 PM »

Axl sounds great on the three songs.  His harmonies work great on "(Love Is) A Bitchslap".  His vocals, lyrics and melodies really add to "Stuck Inside" and just ratchet up that song to another level.  His bluesy voice works great on the Aerosmith cover.  It justs helps to capture some of the feel of the original.

Ali
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #1571 on: January 09, 2008, 04:27:58 PM »

I'm listening to "Back In The Saddle" as I read this.  I still dig this one.  Axl sounds great.

williambailey
Rocker

"Axl is just another version of the Ayatollah"

« Reply #1572 on: January 09, 2008, 06:31:43 PM »

The whole CD is growing on me - I've just had it continually playing in the car whenever I go somewhere and I don't mind it.

I'm glad Axl did his bit on a few songs as well.  Plus remember he was just contributing vocals to some songs as a favour to Baz, I doubt he was there to have the final say on mixing and mastering etc since it's not his record.

Sure, coz I'm a GN'R fan and love Axl's voice I would love to be able to hear him clearer in the songs he does sign - hell I would love to just hear Axl sing it without Baz lol.  But that's not what the record was about.

I bet Axl had fun doing it and good on him for helping Baz out!
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #1573 on: January 09, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »

I finally heard the whole album!!!

Cheesy

It's shit.? Shame.? I was hoping for it to rock hard.? But it falls very short of being any good Sad

You didn't even comment on the reason why most of us bought it...

Makes sense.

/jarmo

Sorry ... I don't really care why you bought it.? Personally I don't think it warrants being purchased for Axl's sub par vocal work.? His vocals on CD will be insane I bet, but on this ... there's nothing drawing me to the album.

I truly would love to love the album.? I have a HUGE record collection with a very diverse set of artists... rock, to all kinds .... but I don't think it stands out.

And ... sorry, what makes sense?

I just put an opinion on the album in general.? My opinion isn't meant as any kind of fact, other than what I thought of it.? It certainly wasn't an attack on Axl or whatever.? His work on the album is really average for him.? I hope everyone agrees, because if not, there's a lot of low expectation for Chinese Democracy.? Tho, I don't think anyone expects Axl's vocals on CD to be as average as the ones on Angel Down.

like to see you do better

Me too man ... I can't sing for shit compared to Axl.? But ... I am comparing this work to his OWN work.? And I'm afraid that by judging Axl by MY vocal standards, you're really falling short of the mark.

Axl is a pro.? His voice can be incredible.? Just listen to the Illusions albums.? Holy shit ... he's insane.? His vocals are incredible.? In my mind, unmatched.? But his Angel Down work is not a patch on that.? That's just because he spent more time in the studio doing his Illusions vocals I'm sure.? But whatever.? I'm just opinionating.

I'm not saying Angel Down had to be better than any other rock album ever to make it qualify as a good album.? If that were the case, I'd say every straight ahead rock album since Appetite was released was shit.? And that's not the case.? I just don't like the album.? However ... as with many albums I don't like ... I WILL go back to it in a few months, try it again, and see how I feel then.? Beacause I'm not small minded enough to believe that my mind at the time was the way I'll feel for the rest of time.

Dave it took me 3 - 4 times to listen to the album to really appreciate it. The lyrics are fun and the songs are fun. Check it out again sometime and you WILL like it

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #1574 on: January 14, 2008, 11:05:32 PM »

I thought I'd share an incident that I witnessed the other day at a used CD store in LA.  (One of the last for that matter...and no it's not Amoeba.)

I was looking at the CDs when another customer asked the guys at the counter what they thought of the new Seb Bach album.  Two of the guys who had heard it both said emphatically that it sucked.  The customer was visibly disappointed.  He asked about the Axl Rose songs.  Again the guys behind the counter said those were the worst songs on the album.  The customer was about to put the CD back when one of the guys finally said..."well I never liked Skid row or Guns N roses.  if you liked that stuff...then you might like it."  the customer was still debating, when I felt like I should say something.  I told him that I was a big GNR and Seb fan back in the day and found the album rather enjoyable.  It's not the greatest album ever...but definitely worth getting.  The customer ended up buying the album and the counter guy told him "good luck."  I felt like that was a rather douchey move.  First of all, why even bother discouraging someone from buying a product?  But secondly...if you don't even listen to that type of music, why bash on it to someone who may enjoy it?

I know that this type of incident isn't the reason that AD has struggled...but I know this type of feeling is the reason no one wants to take a chance on it.

Ps...I didn't know if this should go in the AD discussion...move it if needed.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #1575 on: January 14, 2008, 11:10:09 PM »

1. What record store?
2. What kind of music did the employee's like?
3. Can you give me the list of their addresses?
4. Do you know if they are allergic to me peeing in their butt?

In all seriousness though. I hate people like that. If you don't like it, fine, explain your opinion logically and rationally. Not like a 5-year old who refuses to eat his vegetables.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #1576 on: January 14, 2008, 11:12:43 PM »

Is there such an allergy? hihi

Hey, at least the guy bought the album anyway!

TrueRock&Roll
VIP

Guns N Roses = Best band of all time

« Reply #1577 on: January 14, 2008, 11:23:40 PM »

I've heard it's a bad allergic reaction if that happens to you.  I would never let some ass at a cd store talk me out of a cd though.  Why would they try to discourage someone from buying something?  I'd be pissed if I owned a cd store and my workers talked people out of buying things that they didn't like.  Freakin' Wankers
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #1578 on: January 14, 2008, 11:29:28 PM »

That says a little more about you and what it should imo rofl

In all seriousness though. I hate people like that. If you don't like it, fine, explain your opinion logically and rationally. Not like a 5-year old who refuses to eat his vegetables.

I agree yes

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
CaughtMeInaComa
« Reply #1579 on: January 14, 2008, 11:53:01 PM »

What are the sales on Angel Down? Sounds pretty low.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: