Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:23:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227844 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1567115 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #8340 on: December 14, 2020, 02:22:14 PM »

No other fanbase goes through the mental gymnastics we do to explain the lack of output from our favorite band.  The Wheel O' Excuses never stops spinning around here.

Viable artistic entities release new music.  Nostalgia acts tour behind back catalog to rake in as much loot as possible.

There is no shame in being the latter.  But the only way to make a legit claim you are the former is up to you. 

None of us can force you.  But nor do any of us have to hold our tongues calling a situation for what it pretty clearly is either.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #8341 on: December 14, 2020, 02:29:59 PM »

No other fanbase goes through the mental gymnastics we do to explain the lack of output from our favorite band.  The Wheel O' Excuses never stops spinning around here.

Viable artistic entities release new music.  Nostalgia acts tour behind back catalog to rake in as much loot as possible.

There is no shame in being the latter.  But the only way to make a legit claim you are the former is up to you. 

None of us can force you.  But nor do any of us have to hold our tongues calling a situation for what it pretty clearly is either.

No, you don't have to hold your tongue. But at some point, the same tiresome complaints about the lack of new music get, well, tiresome. New music will come out when it comes out, or it won't. It's not as if the band is out there doing some big bait n' switch and pushing back release dates. I'm pretty sure there's never been one set in stone.

This thread has gone on years and these same silly arguments still haven't changed. It's mind-boggling really.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #8342 on: December 14, 2020, 02:35:40 PM »

No, you don't have to hold your tongue. But at some point, the same tiresome complaints about the lack of new music get, well, tiresome. New music will come out when it comes out, or it won't. It's not as if the band is out there doing some big bait n' switch and pushing back release dates. I'm pretty sure there's never been one set in stone.

This thread has gone on years and these same silly arguments still haven't changed. It's mind-boggling really.

I've never expected new music from the current band.  Not even one single.  No one should either.

This is a touring band that is out to make as much money as they can after leaving so much of it on the table for 20 years.  And you know what...that's all just fine.  The shows are great.  The band actually looks like they are enjoying themselves.  And the buildings are full of happy fans.  Everyone is coming out ahead, as far as I see.

But when the usual suspects want to start in with how they are "plotting their next move" or "figuring out what makes sense"...c'mon, huh?  Go sell that shit up the street.  No sane person is trying to hear any of that.  So when someone starts down that futile road, a reality brick to the head is not out of line.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8343 on: December 14, 2020, 02:55:49 PM »

New music will come out when it comes out, or it won't.

Exactly  ok

Will it make people happy once it does? Yes.
Will it change peoples' lives and fix everything? I doubt it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #8344 on: December 14, 2020, 03:09:16 PM »

I'll take anything.  I think most people would.  Anything that comes out, there will be interest.

I listened to the shit out of those leaks we are supposed to pretend never happened around here.  Came to really dig some of them.  Some neat stuff there.

So if its newer versions of those?  Cool.  If its something entirely?  Bring it on.  

The only wrong move is no move.

Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #8345 on: December 14, 2020, 04:40:58 PM »

Just want the second half of the double album personally

That's more reasonable than "I want new music (that sounds like AFD)"...  hihi

/jarmo

Maybe that’s part of a perception issue that puts a lot of the hardcore fans in a bad light. There’s only a small percentage of fans demanding a new AFD. I genuinely suspect most long-term fans like myself are keen to hear the rest of what Axl had planned for GnR

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #8346 on: December 14, 2020, 04:45:18 PM »

I think people are frustrated in that every 6 months or so there is talk of new music.  Next year will be proof positive if this is a touring band or a complete band. beer

Rizzo160
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8347 on: December 14, 2020, 04:56:36 PM »

Maybe that’s part of a perception issue that puts a lot of the hardcore fans in a bad light. There’s only a small percentage of fans demanding a new AFD. I genuinely suspect most long-term fans like myself are keen to hear the rest of what Axl had planned for GnR

I was half joking.

But, keep in mind, that there still are fans who take issue with Chinese Democracy being released under the GN'R name.

My point was that these same fans who want/need new music, possible featuring Axl, Duff and Slash on the recordings, will suddenly be more open to it? Even if the songs are in a similar style like CD? It'll be interesting to see....

Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8348 on: December 14, 2020, 05:00:40 PM »

I've never expected new music from the current band.  Not even one single.  No one should either.

If you never expected anything, why have you been complaining this whole time? I don't expect Honda to build me a personal rocket ship, so why would I harass their social media accounts asking for one?

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8349 on: December 14, 2020, 05:01:58 PM »

I was half joking.

But, keep in mind, that there still are fans who take issue with Chinese Democracy being released under the GN'R name.

My point was that these same fans who want/need new music, possible featuring Axl, Duff and Slash on the recordings, will suddenly be more open to it? Even if the songs are in a similar style like CD? It'll be interesting to see....

Smiley

/jarmo

Heck, some people still can't accept the musical growth of UYI some 30 years later!

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8350 on: December 14, 2020, 05:22:58 PM »

Smiley

/jarmo

Since this is a speculation thread... I'll speculate.  **Speculation in italics** I think part of what could be an ongoing delay is that we (they) may be experiencing a little of what happened in 1994-1996. While Slash put on a smile and played CD songs in an effort to do what he loves, I wonder if there is a hard time getting "new" music together because Slash (and potentially Duff) want nothing to do with recycled CD2 material or "CD Like" ideas and want to write/record/and perform the same style of music that they have written and performed inside and outside of Guns N Roses.

You (Jarmo) obviously have had access to the venues when the band "worked" on riffs and jams during soundcheck. Maybe they have been working out some CD2 material, but just going off of 30 years of history Slash tends to write a very specific type of music and I would think that is what he would continue to want to do.

Difference between 1994-1996 and now is that there is a maturity to not fight over that and continue printing money on tour and not rock the boat.

Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #8351 on: December 14, 2020, 06:00:05 PM »

I was half joking.

Smiley

/jarmo

Don’t know about you but the main reason I got hooked on GnR 33 years ago was because they didn’t give a fuck what anyone else thinks. It was that ballsy attitude that struck a chord with most people, myself included. Who gives a fuck what the mindless idiotic few think. Chinese is an amazing album and, personally, I couldn’t give a rat’s ass about what some two bit punks say online about whether it was or wasn’t a gnr record. It damn well IS a gnr record and I say let’s hear more of where that came from 👍

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8352 on: December 14, 2020, 06:14:24 PM »

It's not so much about caring, it's more of an observation about what you see on social media etc.

To me, that kind of behavior makes little or no sense. When there's a photo posted on the band's social media and the first comment you see is something about new music, you're like "really?"....

It's nice that people are interested, but there's a line... Maybe someone has crossed it if every post/comment they make about GN'R is something along the lines of WE WANT NEW MUSIC...Huh  hihi

/jarmo

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #8353 on: December 14, 2020, 07:36:33 PM »

Look, even though you don’t want to hear this and you are going to say “Gnr is different. They are much bigger than The Replacements”. Well, to some people from the 80’s, The Replacements were the definition of rock and roll anti industry types.

When they did their semi reunion tour every Replacement fan out there was screaming for new music. The simple fact is they went in the studio and tried to make an album. It just didn’t work. Obviously Westerberg and Tommy didn’t think it was ok to release. It’s been years since Westerberg/Stinson and Axl/Slash have made records together. 30 years...1991!

You have to accept the fact that the magic just may not be there in the studio anymore. Acceptance.  Undecided
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 07:41:15 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #8354 on: December 14, 2020, 08:21:02 PM »

That's where I'm at.

Axl is like, my favorite guy ever.  I am interested in anything he does.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #8355 on: December 14, 2020, 08:23:56 PM »

Yeah, but you can't help those people.

It's always going to be a complicated issue.  No one has the same stance.  Some people, all GNR is GNR.  Others, CD was GNR in name only.  I'm more in that second camp.  Doesn't mean I was any less interested in hearing CD.  And I'd have the same stance about the current band retouching stuff from that era, even if it wasn't my favorite.

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #8356 on: December 14, 2020, 08:54:29 PM »

Yeah, but you can't help those people.

It's always going to be a complicated issue.  No one has the same stance.  Some people, all GNR is GNR.  Others, CD was GNR in name only.  I'm more in that second camp.  Doesn't mean I was any less interested in hearing CD.  And I'd have the same stance about the current band retouching stuff from that era, even if it wasn't my favorite.

If the current band put their own additions to some of the unreleased CD era material, I wouldn't think anything less of it. I actually hope they redo some of that era's songs for whatever they put out next.

CD to me in hindsight was an Axl Rose solo album with stellar musicians on it. And I take no issue calling it a GNR album.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #8357 on: December 14, 2020, 08:57:16 PM »

If you never expected anything, why have you been complaining this whole time? I don't expect Honda to build me a personal rocket ship, so why would I harass their social media accounts asking for one?

Think you have me confused with someone else there, guy. 

I don't even have a Twitter account.  I know people here were going after Fernando and demanding answers on their timeline, but that wasn't me.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 09:15:00 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #8358 on: December 14, 2020, 08:59:55 PM »

Look, even though you don’t want to hear this and you are going to say “Gnr is different. They are much bigger than The Replacements”. Well, to some people from the 80’s, The Replacements were the definition of rock and roll anti industry types.

When they did their semi reunion tour every Replacement fan out there was screaming for new music. The simple fact is they went in the studio and tried to make an album. It just didn’t work. Obviously Westerberg and Tommy didn’t think it was ok to release. It’s been years since Westerberg/Stinson and Axl/Slash have made records together. 30 years...1991!

You have to accept the fact that the magic just may not be there in the studio anymore. Acceptance.  Undecided

This could well be the case.  Sometimes, you just can't get it back.  

I don't know how serious an effort they have made.  But, all those years on the road, all that time spent together...you do wonder if inspiration hasn't struck yet if it ever will again.  Maybe that book is just closed.

Josh
Headliner

« Reply #8359 on: December 14, 2020, 09:59:00 PM »

It’s been years since Westerberg/Stinson and Axl/Slash have made records together. 30 years...1991!

More really, since quite a few UYI tracks came out of their pre-Appetite work.  Working on stage together is one thing, crafting art together is a very intimate thing when you think about it.  Imagine a 58 year old man getting back together with the wife he divorced when he was early 30's (no disrespect to Slash/Duff there).  Then there's the legal aspect, God knows they're probably all pretty guarded on songwriting credits etc given everyone's history in court. 

I want new music as much as anyone.  TSI was released when I was going into 7th grade, and my son is in 7th grade now.  Whole generation goes by, just one album.  Yeah I wish everyone could have got their shit together long ago, but having their shit together never really was a characteristic of GNR back then.  Can't judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree right?  Anyway it's naive to think it's just a matter of 'well they should just book a studio and get it done'.  None of us have any control over what happens, why get worked up about it? 
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: