Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:02:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227920 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Will the Greatest Hits outsell Contraband -VR's opening week?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will the Greatest Hits outsell Contraband -VR's opening week?  (Read 10457 times)
outlawaxl
Rocker

The King of Kings

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2004, 11:25:51 AM »

its that the 3 others are in charge of making all decisions related to the GNR back catalog.
no they are not... only Axl is... thats why they are suing him... Axl owns GnR...the record label owns the back catalog...

Izzy and Adler are not involved in that decision making process.
neither are slash or duff....
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2004, 11:31:10 AM »

its that the 3 others are in charge of making all decisions related to the GNR back catalog.
no they are not... only Axl is... thats why they are suing him... Axl owns GnR...the record label owns the back catalog...

That was what I thought as well. Didn't Axl threaten to quit if they did not sign over the G'n'R name to him or something along those lines? So then when Everyone quit everything still belonged to Axl and he could do as he damn well pleased? (Just a question, not meant to be a slam)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 11:33:33 AM by Neemo » Logged

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2004, 01:38:12 PM »

I thought we should not be comparing VR and Gnr on either board?

I thought we should not be pulling rules out of our ass on either board?   Huh
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 01:39:11 PM by Sky72 » Logged
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2004, 02:16:58 PM »

that's not correct. Slash, Duff and Axl are in charge of the back catalog, but Axl has been making decisions on what do do with it without Slash and Duff, and THAT'S why they are suing Axl!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2004, 02:22:35 PM »

Wasn't Axl thinking about re-releasing AFD with the new band?

If so, maybe then, since none of the orig members were playing on the album, they would receive no more royalties, then Slash and Duff say that Axl does not have the music in his best interests or whatever their reason was for suing him? Could that be the case?

outlawaxl
Rocker

The King of Kings

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2004, 03:48:41 PM »

that's not correct. Slash, Duff and Axl are in charge of the back catalog,

they dont have too much control over the back catalog since we have the GH cd....

if axl wants the Guns n Roses name used on soundtracks thats his decision... he owns Guns n Roses, and has the final say on what CD's will have the Guns n Roses name on it...

The back catalog songs are owned by Geffen....

thats the way i see it... but what do i know....  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 05:15:48 PM by outlawaxl » Logged
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2004, 05:11:13 PM »

Contraband should outsell GH with no problems, but who know what will happen...
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2004, 08:38:34 PM »

Not to be an asshole but how the fuck can you make a statement like:

You insecure Axl freaks who are just aching for Contraband to sell like shit (as if that will make Chinese Democracy come out faster or better, or as if that would somehow validate Axl?s neurotic behavior when dealing with former bandmates) need not worry: I think it?s safe to say that Contraband will not come close to matching Appetite?s sales, or even those of either Illusion album. And it shouldn?t. It?s a great album, but few could reasonably argue it?s even in the same realm of those three classics. Plus, the studio music industry is dying, or at least morphing into something completely different, making sales comparisons between any album that comes out today with one released five or more years ago a dubious exercise.

and then say:

As a side note, I really wish people weren?t so sensitive around here. How nice would it be to have a discussion that went like this:

Me: ?That Contraband, what a cool album! It?s no Appetite, but I like it.?

You: ?I agree. How much better is driving down the expressway with a blasting stereo now that I have TWO bands to like. Aren?t those people who feel the need to ally themselves to one band primairly by ranting mindlessly about how much the other band ?suks? a silly bunch? Boy, not getting emotional and parochial about the business decisions of perfect strangers really opens the door to a lot of good music out there.?

As far as I can see, you're the only person on this thread to do any bashing/bullshit talking.

What's wrong discussing whether GH or VR will sell more. I find it very interesting. I, and everyone else who has posted on this thread haven't mentioned anything about how we want VR to sell less, or how it means anything.

@#$%Muther
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2004, 10:20:49 PM »

It was funny to talk to the girl at the register. She said when it came in that nobody knew who the hell this was. They sent in as many copies as Avril's CD. It was like a big band, but nobody knew who it was. I told her about the GN'R members and she said "o' cool". It is going to be interesting how this does.

-5th

That is pretty funny. Here we are talking about these bands (GNR & VR) like they are the be-all and end-all, and most kids have no thoughts about them either way. As such they will be objective buyers: If one of the Contraband ballads catches fire on radio or MTV, a la Hoobastank, lotsa kids will buy the album and find out all about GNR etc. If a third single does the same thing they'll be counting sales in the millions. It could even end up helping Axl if he ever bothers to release his album.

As for the question about Contra vs. GH, it's not entirely a fair fight on both sides. On the one side you have the whole GNR legend and those pre-digested songs helping matters along -- almost 20 years of history and legend.

On the other you have a label pouring tons of cash into promoting Contraband, singles, a tour, newspaper articles, etc. In the end of the year I think VR will have the sales edge, because they can put out another single and video and start selling all over.  

I've seen enough.
Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2004, 10:57:33 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Contraband will outsell GH.  It's all NEW music.  Greatest Hits don't usually sell well...or that's what I thought.  Especially since there aren't any new tracks.  But, maybe VR will boost the number of GH sold.  You know, new kids getting into Slash, Duff, and even Matt might want to check out some of their previous efforts.  Same goes for a renewed interest in Scott causing new interest in STP.  
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2004, 02:18:26 AM »

I think it's pretty obvious that Contraband will outsell Guns N' Roses greatest Hits.Like sukie said it may help boost sale of GH collection from both STP and GN'R.I think it may boost sales of AFD,UYI 1&2,core Purple and NO.4
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: