Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:26:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227924 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Better - Better as a studio song opposed to being performed live
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Better - Better as a studio song opposed to being performed live  (Read 3792 times)
Steel_Angel
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 06:58:59 PM »

it suits it perfectly, in my opinion. love that damn song, "Better"....
dodger girl
Rocker

art is resistance

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 01:44:12 AM »

which would be the best bootleg of Better?

I heard various but I'd like the opinion of some of you to compare..

I agree with the person who said the best part in the live version is the chorus.. it sounds much more groovy, and actually watching videos of their performance of this song, I love when Axl, Tommy and the rest of the guys start jumping and bouncing hehe that's hilarious

Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 02:20:42 AM »

The demo studio version seemed like it could become new GN'R's trademark song and a big hit. Live, it sounds more like Rhiyadh than a radio-rock hit. No offense to Rhiyadh, but Better seems to have much more potential as a studio track, and live it's just not that amazing.

If so,? that might be true of Riyadh, don't you think? We haven't heard any studio recording of the song.

Yes, and the fact that they still consider it an "option" when they play live I think it'll be on the album, and I'm really excited for it.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 07:23:08 PM »

which would be the best bootleg of Better?

I heard various but I'd like the opinion of some of you to compare..

I agree with the person who said the best part in the live version is the chorus.. it sounds much more groovy, and actually watching videos of their performance of this song, I love when Axl, Tommy and the rest of the guys start jumping and bouncing hehe that's hilarious

As you said, everyone's opinion will differ, but my personal favorites at the moment are live at the Hammersmith, followed by live @ Download, and last but not least we can't forget about Budapest Smiley

I think the song is absolutely blistering live, and anyone judging it off of bootlegs or FLACs is missing out hardcore.

Better was the song I was most pumped to hear at the May 12th show, and when everyone was discussing what song would be played first, I honestly expected Better to open the show in place of Jungle.

But when Robin started playing the opening chords right after Brownstone I was so fuckin' excited, it was ridiculous hihi

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
chinesedemocracy05
Banned
Rocker

SPRECHMAN!

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 11:23:15 AM »

The studio version in my opinion is much better. Thew only songs Ive heard live from The 2006 version guns that Ax cant handle is better and IRS, actuially the most recent performance of IRS changed my mind. Axl was phenomenal. But better definately sounds weak in some spots (live) Its a very hard song to sing.

If axl could completely nail that thing that would be the best live song, because the band plays it perfectly, Robin's solo is completely beautiful.

They just thought Id know better. Better.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 11:49:32 AM »

The studio version in my opinion is much better. Thew only songs Ive heard live from The 2006 version guns that Ax cant handle is better and IRS, actuially the most recent performance of IRS changed my mind. Axl was phenomenal. But better definately sounds weak in some spots (live) Its a very hard song to sing.

If axl could completely nail that thing that would be the best live song, because the band plays it perfectly, Robin's solo is completely beautiful.

better and IRS were perfect at rock am ring. wait for the proshot dvd ok       ...........august 11th.....

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
bombom
Headliner

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 10:57:39 PM »

Hey all,

I just got back from the birmingham gig and SHIT if Axl didnt knock Better out of the park!!!  I've heard various boots of it from the tour and heard it in dublin, but tonight the whole band aced the motherfucker!

hope for a top notch boot, I am!!!

BomBom

The Devil Hates a Loser!

25/7/2006 - Birmingham
9/6/2006 - Dublin
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 01:24:21 AM »

I have yet to hear a good live version of Better actually. I think the problem lies with the chorus, which should be a cresending highlight of the song but ends up slowing it down. By relegating the chorus to a backing vocal, you lose the intensity of the lyric, simply b/c no one can really hear it well. In addition, the sound of the chorus vocal is different (and far superior) in the demo version; I really think they should either have a female backup singer or simply play the studio tracked chorus when it comes up.

Other than the chorus, the solo is solid, although I would prefer a less halting "oooh ooooh" vocal and less vocal  shrill as axl begins the song.

IRS kicks ass live. I actually love it more now.

Madagascar has definately improved as well. The Richard/Pittman/Dizzy bridge is absolutely delicious.

Blues has improved as well; i love the new tenderness to the song. I always felt the 02 version existed too tenously between a rocker and a ballad. Now the distinction is clear.

TWAT is a garbled mess at this point. Axl has trouble keeping up with the lyrics and Ron's fingering is a bit too muddled to hear clearly. I think Bucket would have owned this outro.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2006, 05:19:33 PM »

I've seen GNR three times on this tour. I love the song Better but I think its a bit hit and miss live. Last night I don't think they did it justice...particularly at the beginning. The heavy bit also needs to be turned up...its a massive riff and I couldn't 'feel' it enough. It was better at download.

Here today...ready to rock
busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 05:29:55 PM »

The thing about Better live is that the band cannot play it. Not the solos especially as Finck handles those pretty well, its the overall structure of the song. They go wrong from the first aggressive burst and from then on its blur-city.

That is one of the songs they need to practice. The can play The Blues amazingly well and consistently too, but Better they seem to struggle with.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: