Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 10:29:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Getting Rail
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting Rail  (Read 2497 times)
The1FrmTheRegistry
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: November 14, 2006, 12:07:54 PM »

Hi, I'll be attending tomorrow night's Toronto show. I have a GA ticket and I'm wondering what's the best way to go about getting right up to the rail to watch a GnR concert? I've read several reviews from past shows and a lot of posters here start off with "I was right at the front". I'm curious as to how you got there.

Being a chick, and a petite one at that, standing anywhere else in GA tends to result in a not so great concert experience. At concerts I've been to in the past, when I stand behind the pit I can't see the stage AT ALL. When I've been inside the pit, well, this usually results in an ass whooping of glorious proportions. Now just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I can't take the roughness, but again, being small AND being jammed in there results in absolutely no view of the actual performance. And also, no bloody air to breathe. I'm afraid I just don't have enough testosterone to find the thrill of the battle inside the pit very enjoyable. I'd rather see the show. I've had rail to other shows (non GnR) and it's by far the best spot in the house. The crush of the crowd is absolutely worth the concert experience from that vantage point.

So if I've managed to get rail to other shows, then I should know how to get rail to this show, right? I'm thinking no. Different bands have different vibes about them as do their fan bases. Some shows, it's impossible to push your way through to the front and lining up before the show for a ridiculous amount of time is the only way to do it. But it's November here in Canada. It's too bloody cold for that. I'd like to see the show AND have feeling left in my extremities. But maybe I'm asking too much. Meh.

This is my first GnR concert and I've been waiting for this a very, very long time so I'd like it to be as enjoyable as possible. Any advice GnR rail veterans can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.  Smiley
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 12:14:54 PM »

I now have 4 GA shows under my belt, and 3 of them were at different venues.  I am also a girl and not all that big. 

At the Hammerstein, I was out front all day for the 2 days I had GA.  I got right up front because of that.

At Worcester, I got there after the doors opened.  I tried to get up front, but it was horrendous....before Papa Roach! I gave up and went to the back of the crowd and managed to get a good show, although I spent most of it on my tiptoes hihi

MSG, I got there right before Bach came on.  I got front row again.  I was all the way on the far left side (from the crowd POV)  The right side and the center were just jam packed.

My advice, get there during or before opening acts and go for the extreme sides of the stage.  Bring water too Wink

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
The1FrmTheRegistry
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 01:14:56 PM »

Thanks for the reply!
So from your experience it's still possible to get right up front (at the sides) even if you get there after the doors already open. That's really great to know. And you said bring water -- you're allowed bottled water on the floor? I haven't been to a concert that allows that.
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 01:31:19 PM »

Not bottled water.  Last time 2 times, I went and got water from the concession stand to bring with me on the floor.  I don't drink, and I think that the water would keep you going longer, and you'll remember more! hihi 

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 01:36:06 PM »

Good luck getting on the rail, hopefully I'll see you there

Your best bet is to just rush up when the show starts.  Thats the easiest way to move forward.  Girls have it a bit easier cause most guys will let you through.  Guys have to fight to move up.

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 02:02:46 PM »

What I do, and it's worked everytime....when "Jungle" kicks in, everyone starts jumping, and you can push them out of the way and just charge right up front, just pretend your a running back, lol

Axl is God.
The1FrmTheRegistry
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 03:38:11 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys (and girl).
I guess I'll try the 'weaseling through the crowd during the openers' strategy. jbenzz, you'll be going to tomorrow night's show too? Do you know if there are a lot of board members planning on attending? Are you doing the 'rush the stage strategy' too? I'm thinking that 99% of the people on the floor are going to have that exact same idea though, so I guess it'll be a free-for-all and whomever makes it to the front gets to breathe. Battle of the fittest I suppose. Don't get your ass kicked too much and enjoy the show. Have fun storming the castle!
dizzy68
Banned
Rocker

Here Forever!

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 04:43:18 PM »

I now have 4 GA shows under my belt, and 3 of them were at different venues.? I am also a girl and not all that big.?

Wow... Good to see you have all this time on your hands now. I remember not to long ago when you didn't have time for anything.  hihi

HOT GIRL VIDEO HERE
Click here to check her out.
fear the juggalo
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 04:44:49 PM »

if you are short , dont get in the middle. axl puts his monitor right in front of you. i am 6'2 & still had a tuff time seeing at inland invasion
The1FrmTheRegistry
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 05:02:49 PM »

Oh, I have no plans of trying for centre rail, that's where all the body surfers sit on your head and compress your neck and spine on their way out. I can't believe people still body surf. Is there much of that going on at GnR shows? And moshing/body slamming, is there a lot of that too? Some bands have very little of that sort of thing going on at their concerts while with other's it's crazy nonstop. At most shows the moshing usually doesn't reach up as far as the rail, though the front is where the body surfers always end up.
handsareshakin
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 05:09:56 PM »

Every GA show for every concert I've been front row. I'm not a strong girl so I'm not going to do much damage shoving the big guys. All I do is wait for at least 3 hours (I waited 4 for GNR) It may seem like a long time but if your with your friends or you got your cell phone or iPod or something to that effect it'll go faster than you think. It pays off in the end.  beer
TurboTravis
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 05:11:35 PM »

If you are a dedicated fan, just show up early to the show and get to the front of the line. As soon as the doors open, skip everything and run to the floor. Get your GA rocks off, and just get good seats after that.
Amari2677
Headliner

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 05:17:13 PM »

I was front and center on the for MSG.  Other than some big fat football player looking guy, it was like a warm knife through butter.

I'm free of all the chains we held together...
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 01:37:51 AM »

If you are a dedicated fan, just show up early to the show and get to the front of the line. As soon as the doors open, skip everything and run to the floor. Get your GA rocks off, and just get good seats after that.

That's what I'm planning on doing... All the HTGTH people try to get up to the front... the band will see all of us singing along to every song (new and old)!  I'm sure a crowd of us could take care of ourselves and not get pushed around too much!  I'll be the 5'11 guy in jeans listening to his iPod the whole time while waiting.

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: