Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:48:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227840 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robert Williams on Appetite For Destruction painting
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert Williams on Appetite For Destruction painting  (Read 3691 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: March 07, 2015, 05:54:43 PM »

GN'R related excerpt:

Williams found an outlet and acceptance in after-hours galleries at punk rock clubs in L.A. and New York. His art work started appearing on record sleeves and concert posters for bands that have mostly vanished. But mainstream success remained elusive.

Until 1987, that is. That?s when yet another then-unknown band came knocking on his door after spotting what is today considered Williams? most notorious painting.

A scruffy L.A. glam rock band called Guns N? Roses wanted it for the cover of its debut album. They also wanted to name the record after the painting: ?Appetite for Destruction.?

In the painting, which Williams created in the late 1970s, a pretty young woman in a short skirt is selling toy robots on the street. Her kiosk is knocked over. So is she. A menacing robot in a trench coat stands over her.

?There is suggestion of some kind of sexual violation, but you wouldn?t be able to figure out what the robot could do to her,? explains Williams. ?She did have her panties around her ankles and she did have one breast exposed. Now, in the other half of this painting, there?s this monster jumping over the fence to avenge her.

?I have not gone without avenging this graphic crime.?

Williams told the band fine, use it. But he warned them the cover would probably land them in trouble with religious and feminist groups. It did. One organization famously referred to it as a ?glorification of rape.?

The band rallied to his defense, singer Axl Rose telling MTV that he thought people were overlooking Williams? artistic genius.

?I think since it was such an outrageous picture that the skill gets overlooked,? said Rose, standing alongside Williams in an interview shortly after the album?s release. ?A lot more people, I think, are turned on to Robert?s artwork (because of the album) than were before, and I?m really glad to be a part of that.?

But the band ultimately caved and yanked the artwork.

The painting caused a stir again in 2012 when a reformed Guns N? Roses used the image in a concert poster and companion DVD. Subsequent copies of the DVD still employ the Williams painting, but in denuded form. The girl is removed, the painting devoid  of its original power.

Read the whole thing here: http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/03/07/the-glorious-profane-spoils-of-robert-williams-50-year-war-with-mainstream-art

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 07:27:00 AM »

And now I hang this proudly in my living room....

Memories of good, good times.

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 01:27:57 PM »

The painting caused a stir again in 2012 when a reformed Guns N? Roses used the image in a concert poster and companion DVD. Subsequent copies of the DVD still employ the Williams painting, but in denuded form. The girl is removed, the painting devoid  of its original power.

If I remember correctly, the stir happened while the Appetite For Democracy residence was going on. They actually had to remove the artwork from the Hard Rock Hotel because of it....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:43:55 PM »

You remember correctly.  They ended up removing/covering the girl with a the sign.

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:57:38 PM »

If I remember correctly, the stir happened while the Appetite For Democracy residence was going on. They actually had to remove the artwork from the Hard Rock Hotel because of it....

/jarmo

That's true, but the DVD/Bluray also has the modified artwork (without the girl).

Sweetness is a virtue
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 05:07:36 PM »

Before:

After:

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 05:09:11 PM »

There were some protestors because of the street signs as well (Paradise City Road) if I remember correctly. What happened with that?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:11:55 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »

I don't remember that....

/jarmo

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 05:17:02 PM »

Ah, it might be my memory that plays tricks on me and I'm mixing it with the artwork.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 08:13:43 PM »

I would like to get a print of the original piece of art and having it hanging on the wall right next to signed platinum award I am still waiting to recieve In the mail.
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 02:41:17 AM »

There were some protestors because of the street signs as well (Paradise City Road) if I remember correctly. What happened with that?

I think you referring to the frenzy at the $1.99 CD sale a few weeks after its release  rofl rofl rofl
Annie
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 10:33:19 AM »

I never knew the girl was selling tiny robots. I thought the painting was very symbolic about corporate greed and the destruction of the environment. I remember them having to change the signs.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »

I think you referring to the frenzy at the $1.99 CD sale a few weeks after its release  rofl rofl rofl

There you have it... One week after the release wasn't it?  hihi

Sweetness is a virtue
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: