Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 10:11:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1568046 times)
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #6580 on: June 06, 2017, 10:14:30 AM »

Let's all look at this logically. Let's all assume whatever material from the early to mid 2000's that led to the creation of chinese democracy was probably mostly made from guys like Axl, Robin, Dizzy maybe Buckethead. Any material that was left of CD was probably intended for future albums but once guys started leaving like robin and bucket and then BBF and Ashba and whatever they may have tried to add to CD material just never transpired.

Now your Axl you bring back Slash and duff so you scrap whatever was made in those early years and you start over thats why if you go by Richards comments about playing around with things its not hard to fathom that that is the case. Im sure the major thing Axl, Slash and Duff have discussed is what type of direction they want to go in terms of sound for the band. We know Axl has always tried to grow in sound Slash & Duff have stayed more to old school gnr type of sound. They might be trying to find a mix that works for all 3 that they all feel proud of. Only time will tell if this is happening at all. If not then this is probably more towards the end of the line for the GNR brand name because you don't go back from this when it comes to who plays in the band.
that's correct. just don't forget that also DJ and to some extent BBF were talking about jamming and bringing in ideas, but nothing ever materialised at all...

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #6581 on: June 06, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »

You also have to wonder about how dated that stuff might sound by now. 

I don't mean musically, though that's part of it, but also lyrically.  Are they really going to release another batch of songs about how the old band did Axl wrong, the universe is agaisnt him, and everyone can go fuck themselves?

Is that where he is in 2017?  Nope.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #6582 on: June 06, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »

I don't mean musically, though that's part of it, but also lyrically.  Are they really going to release another batch of songs about how the old band did Axl wrong, the universe is agaisnt him, and everyone can go fuck themselves?

If that's the case, salvage the music and rewrite the lyrics.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #6583 on: June 06, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »

If that's the case, salvage the music and rewrite the lyrics.

That was always my argument.

Personally, I would take everything in the Magical Mystery Vault and just throw it the fuck out.  Start fresh with people actually in the band, present day.  Radical concept, I realize.

But I can understand how there might be a great riff or some otherwise great music that might be salvaged from that stuff.  If that's the case, fine, then use it.  Give Robin or Bucket a writing credit and take it to craft a new song with the current band.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #6584 on: June 06, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »

I think best chance of axl releasing anything from the early 2000s era would be his own thing he eventually decides to put out on his own possibly something separate from GNR.  It really has amazed me he has never released anything in his name that was not related to GNR. Has anyone ever asked him if he ever though of doing his own side projects or a band that wasn't named Guns N Roses? I know there was hollywood rose but that pre dates the GNR stardom he got obviously if he had wanted to do something solo he could have after the successes of AFD and UYI albums
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:07:24 PM by GNR4LIFEJD » Logged
GNRMTL
Headliner

« Reply #6585 on: June 06, 2017, 12:23:25 PM »

We all want this we all want that.  She speculated this, he speculated that.  Fact is knowbody here knows or has any idea what will be .  Something is  eventually is going to come out, it's gonna be awesome some will be pleased some won't .  Enjoy the ride
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:07:45 PM by GNRMTL » Logged

Miami 92
Montreal 92
Toronto 02
4 nights at the Hammerstein
Ottowa 06
Montreal 10
Hiro 12
Miami Filmore 12
Montreal 13
New Jersey 16
Montreal 17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #6586 on: June 06, 2017, 02:37:46 PM »

So, this brings up a thing that always nags at the bag of my skull, actually.  And by no means should this be taken as a knock, or whatever. This is just my internal monologue and thought process laid bare.

AFD was written when the band was young, poor, and literally had their fingers on the pulse of the LA "starving musician" scene.  It was raw and brutal and reflected street smarts, and a certain naivete, as well as addressing some risky subjects that resonated with the world at the time.

UYI was written while that same band had been thrown into superstardom and were struggling with the literal rags to riches transition.  And the stunning excesses all that came with. Again, a lot of that material, especially lyrically, dealt with that stuff pretty head on.

CD was Axl's fuck you to the industry, and to those he thought had done him wrong (personally and professionally), lyrically. It was equal parts remorse, sadness, and vitriol, aimed squarely at "whoever".  Musically, it was expressive and experimental, but in achieving that, it lost some of GnR's dirtier edge, from AFD and UYI.  I loved CD, but you can't argue that (and it's to be expected, all things considered) that most of it sounds VERY different than AFD and UYI (cue DX saying "Understatement of the decade").  It's much more slickly produced than even UYI was, much more layered than anything else done in the GnR name. I LOVE a lot of the material...don't get me wrong.

So.....where are we now?  I don't think any of these band members are capable of AFD and UYI anymore.  They lack the life situations to do it, and their current life EXPERIENCE puts them in VERY different places.  I don't think Slash and Duff have any desire to make, musically speaking, CD2 (I'm not sure Axl does, with these players, either).  If Axl really is content, and in good head space....I'm super happy for him.  But what do we get lyrically from that Axl? I don't think we really know.  What I DO think we know is: It's not AFD or UYI or CD. Axl seems to write from where he is, in the moment of creation. 

If the thought process is that, in the next album, we get "more" of AFD/UYI because Slash and Duff are back on board...I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I don't think that's what we get. I'm not entirely sure WHAT we do get.  You have established, happy, content Guns n Roses right now, I think.  We've never, ever, ever gotten anything from "that" Guns n Roses.  It's never really existed.  So I watch, with interest, to see what (if anything) they can do creatively, going forward.  I THINK they have things to say, creatively...I think you might end up with a much more political album, for example.  But I don't KNOW.  None of us really do.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #6587 on: June 06, 2017, 02:45:37 PM »

That was always my argument.

Personally, I would take everything in the Magical Mystery Vault and just throw it the fuck out.  Start fresh with people actually in the band, present day.  Radical concept, I realize.

I suspect that, largely, this is what they do. And I don't think its all that radical. Smiley

They might keep snippets and melodies that everyone likes, that were worked on previously.  But I don' think they're going to keep the recordings from those sessions. And I don't think the songs will remotely resemble, once complete, whatever state they are in right now.

But I can understand how there might be a great riff or some otherwise great music that might be salvaged from that stuff.  If that's the case, fine, then use it.  Give Robin or Bucket a writing credit and take it to craft a new song with the current band.

Sure.  But here's the thing: Given what we know of Slash and Duff....how receptive to that, if they are writing and playing and participating in the album creation process are they going to be to that?

I mean, sure. They're playing a few CD songs on the tour.  But thats a far cry from playing never before released material on an album that will be directly associated with them, 5eva.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #6588 on: June 06, 2017, 04:34:24 PM »

So, this brings up a thing that always nags at the bag of my skull, actually.  And by no means should this be taken as a knock, or whatever. This is just my internal monologue and thought process laid bare.

AFD was written when the band was young, poor, and literally had their fingers on the pulse of the LA "starving musician" scene.  It was raw and brutal and reflected street smarts, and a certain naivete, as well as addressing some risky subjects that resonated with the world at the time.

UYI was written while that same band had been thrown into superstardom and were struggling with the literal rags to riches transition.  And the stunning excesses all that came with. Again, a lot of that material, especially lyrically, dealt with that stuff pretty head on.

CD was Axl's fuck you to the industry, and to those he thought had done him wrong (personally and professionally), lyrically. It was equal parts remorse, sadness, and vitriol, aimed squarely at "whoever".  Musically, it was expressive and experimental, but in achieving that, it lost some of GnR's dirtier edge, from AFD and UYI.  I loved CD, but you can't argue that (and it's to be expected, all things considered) that most of it sounds VERY different than AFD and UYI (cue DX saying "Understatement of the decade").  It's much more slickly produced than even UYI was, much more layered than anything else done in the GnR name. I LOVE a lot of the material...don't get me wrong.

So.....where are we now?  I don't think any of these band members are capable of AFD and UYI anymore.  They lack the life situations to do it, and their current life EXPERIENCE puts them in VERY different places.  I don't think Slash and Duff have any desire to make, musically speaking, CD2 (I'm not sure Axl does, with these players, either).  If Axl really is content, and in good head space....I'm super happy for him.  But what do we get lyrically from that Axl? I don't think we really know.  What I DO think we know is: It's not AFD or UYI or CD. Axl seems to write from where he is, in the moment of creation. 

If the thought process is that, in the next album, we get "more" of AFD/UYI because Slash and Duff are back on board...I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I don't think that's what we get. I'm not entirely sure WHAT we do get.  You have established, happy, content Guns n Roses right now, I think.  We've never, ever, ever gotten anything from "that" Guns n Roses.  It's never really existed.  So I watch, with interest, to see what (if anything) they can do creatively, going forward.  I THINK they have things to say, creatively...I think you might end up with a much more political album, for example.  But I don't KNOW.  None of us really do.

It's truly amazing how much this is lost on so much of the internet fan base...

3 rich dudes.... CAN'T write anything like they once did.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #6589 on: June 06, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »

It's truly amazing how much this is lost on so much of the internet fan base...

3 rich dudes.... CAN'T write anything like they once did.

I mean... I wouldnt want them to.

Music is art. Art reflects (or should, imho) the artist at the time of its creation.

They are not the same people they were 10,20,30 yeaes ago. They SHOULDN'T be. Nobody should expect them to be.

Given that....we dont know what these guys are going to want to say, or how, or when (or, yes DX, if).

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 04:41:11 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #6590 on: June 06, 2017, 04:42:52 PM »

I agree that where they are emotionally is going to impact the content, but I think that will have a larger impact on the lyrics. Listening to VR and Slash's solo stuff at least gives you a glimpse of what you can expect riff wise... I also look forward (hopefully) to see where Richard plays into that process.

I think we will hear something musically that is closer to what we could have gotten post UYI if the band stayed intact (minus Izzy of course). If you think about it Axl still does have some things to draw on that happened after he penned a lot of the CD songs. He lost members of his band, he had huge management issues, etc... He also keeps his personal life pretty close to the vest so there could be material there too. You are right though that will be coming from a different place than anything written in the past, BUT he is very political (at least on twitter) so you could start to hear more of that (like Civil War etc...)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6591 on: June 06, 2017, 06:00:30 PM »

Do you have some sorta cliff notes about what all these albums and songs are actually about?

Geese I do know that a one or two songs on cd may have been written well before 2000. I know all the music wasn't even written by Axl

I know lots of the songs on the uyi album where written many years before the actual recording of the album took place   Same said for some of the music on AFD

I do know that this band songs songs about drinking wine and doing drugs every night still.  So I would never put it past them to write more material regarding that

What I would put it past them is to release anything any time soon   Just cause history says they won't
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6592 on: June 06, 2017, 07:06:45 PM »

I agree that where they are emotionally is going to impact the content, but I think that will have a larger impact on the lyrics. Listening to VR and Slash's solo stuff at least gives you a glimpse of what you can expect riff wise... I also look forward (hopefully) to see where Richard plays into that process.

I think we will hear something musically that is closer to what we could have gotten post UYI if the band stayed intact (minus Izzy of course). If you think about it Axl still does have some things to draw on that happened after he penned a lot of the CD songs. He lost members of his band, he had huge management issues, etc... He also keeps his personal life pretty close to the vest so there could be material there too. You are right though that will be coming from a different place than anything written in the past, BUT he is very political (at least on twitter) so you could start to hear more of that (like Civil War etc...)

Yeah, Axl may be content in his personal life but a quick glance at the state of the world and where it's heading could possibly offer some inspiration.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #6593 on: June 06, 2017, 07:16:28 PM »

I have no idea either. But it seems like Axl has some kind of idea, although he doesn't go into specifics. At least he seems to have an idea of how the "feeling" of the lyrics will be. It doesn't appear to be any specific subjects he feels the need to write about at this point.

Q: For the future, is there any subject that you haven't touched on, you know lyrics in your music that you would like to express towards the fans in the world... emotional.. or justice, things like that?

Axl: I haven't really given that any thought. I mean, I think it's all kinda like right in the back of your head about how you're gonna tackle the next songs and stuff. So part of me feels like I'm happy that I didn't write things a year ago to something because I feel like what I'm gonna go at with now will be stronger.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6594 on: June 06, 2017, 07:33:18 PM »

I have no idea either. But it seems like Axl has some kind of idea, although he doesn't go into specifics. At least he seems to have an idea of how the "feeling" of the lyrics will be. It doesn't appear to be any specific subjects he feels the need to write about at this point.

Q: For the future, is there any subject that you haven't touched on, you know lyrics in your music that you would like to express towards the fans in the world... emotional.. or justice, things like that?

Axl: I haven't really given that any thought. I mean, I think it's all kinda like right in the back of your head about how you're gonna tackle the next songs and stuff. So part of me feels like I'm happy that I didn't write things a year ago to something because I feel like what I'm gonna go at with now will be stronger.

This is actually pretty scary as a fan

What I Msn is. Pat serious song writers are always writing something.  They always have. Pen and paper and are always putting something down

Now he is saying he does don't write anything last year?  When was that?   So I would really love to know how his writing process is now.   Only writes something when he feels he has to?   To a topic he doesn't even know of?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #6595 on: June 06, 2017, 07:36:02 PM »

I'm sure they all have ideas of what they want to write, today.

And tomorrow that could all change.

Thats my point, when it cones to art.....its sorta in the moment of creation.

Together again,
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #6596 on: June 06, 2017, 07:41:51 PM »

I also think it's positive that Axl comes off as optimistic about his creativity now, compared to 2015.

Highly probable, the composition of the current line-up is the reason.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6597 on: June 06, 2017, 08:07:22 PM »

I also think it's positive that Axl comes off as optimistic about his creativity now, compared to 2015.

Highly probable, the composition of the current line-up is the reason.

Slash and Duff have released tons of music since splitting from guns

I have never heard Axl say anything about any of that music.  The type of style.  Lyrics melodies etc. Nothing

All I have heard from Axl is that he wanted to take guns in a different musical direction that where it was

I have also heard him say Duff and slash may be on some new music. 

They have also never played one of slashes or duffs songs live on this return and tons of CD material

The only thing that that gives me a slight hope of getting new material with this band is Axls new found loves for Ac/dc.  I could see guns coming out with a pure rock album inspired by old ac/do stuff

But I think the Janice's are great Axl just writes a album with angus and releases his own Ac/sx album
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #6598 on: June 06, 2017, 08:15:12 PM »

I have never heard Axl say anything about any of that music.  The type of style.  Lyrics melodies etc. Nothing

All I have heard from Axl is that he wanted to take guns in a different musical direction that where it was

They have also never played one of slashes or duffs songs live on this return and tons of CD material

The only thing that that gives me a slight hope of getting new material with this band is Axls new found loves for Ac/dc.  I could see guns coming out with a pure rock album inspired by old ac/do stuff

But I think the Janice's are great Axl just writes a album with angus and releases his own Ac/sx album

I'm not strictly talking about the style of music Slash plays.

Just as much the environment within the band.

Two guys who were good friends back in the day hadn't talked to each other for almost 20 years. Now they are back together, and seemingly having a good time again. That could affect someone's mind, maybe inspire one's creative side.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6599 on: June 06, 2017, 08:34:32 PM »

I'm not strictly talking about the style of music Slash plays.

Just as much the environment within the band.

Two guys who were good friends back in the day hadn't talked to each other for almost 20 years. Now they are back together, and seemingly having a good time again. That could affect someone's mind, maybe inspire one's creative side.

You seem to know a lot more about there relationship than I do

I havnt really heard a interview from anyone in this  band meaningfully in more than 2 years

This is no story telling.  Joke telling major interaction on stage

It sure doesn't look like they are enemy's any more and they have called each other friends

For all I know.  They still all travel separately.  Have little interaction at gigs and between shows and it's mostly just a huge buisness.

I am just wait No for someone to say. Give it another year  hahaha

That's what was said here last year.  Then they announce new arena dates and suddenly everyone is on cloud 9 again 
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: