Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2024, 09:54:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227946 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  2000-2001 GN'R
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2000-2001 GN'R  (Read 23049 times)
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »

But the 2001-02 era GN'R had to face all of this for the first time since, the 'old' era.

then ^^this part of your post is not too exact - because they did shows in 2001/02. anyway the pressure might have been even bigger when being actual on stage during the first shows (than off stage), exspecially during the (nearly) worldwide tv broadcast of vma02 and the reviews from that.

@Voodoochild:
yes, i've meant the missing rasp there, it didnt do that good for most of the old songs (IMO), those were the ones people would re-compare with prevoius times at first. because whats new.....well, is unheard and new?! though i mostly agree with the 01/02 voice and the newer songs compared to post 5/2006 it also could be that we would think different when we wouldnt have heard those songs with the 01/02 voice in the first place (but then again i think a lot of the "unraspy" voice made its way on CD so we're comparing to studio versions often).

I know they did shows in 2001 and 2002  hihi, but what I am saying is that you are basing your assumptions of criticism based on stuff that happened during the live shows like the 2002 VMAs or the cancelled 02 tour. Which anyway this is not a means to criticise GN'R, we don't know what happened with the 2002 tour, but you presume it was GN'Rs fault.  Roll Eyes

What I'm saying is that before they even started to do live shows, they must have had an idea some people were going to criticise them for not being Duff and Slash.  Tongue

I'm talking about 1999 - 2000, when they were just getting together as a band. They had the most pressure of any GN'R lineup, in that they had alot to live up to. So putting themsleves into that situation is very admirable and it took alot of courage.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:03:11 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »

i got your point and sure, the pressure was not lowest level, but see the quote from you....you've mentioned "01-02" (where they did live shows  Wink ), that was misleading in this discussion.
and still i also disagree on the pressure 99-2000 being bigger than 01/02 simply because fans, media etc. werent much aware of anything goin on in the camp 99-00. i also think the pressure after the cancelled 02 tour must have been unbelievable high and was a main part of the next generation of silent years 03-05.

Re-Union time, baby!!
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 04:14:43 PM »

i got your point and sure, the pressure was not lowest level, but see the quote from you....you've mentioned "01-02" (where they did live shows  Wink ), that was misleading in this discussion.
and still i also disagree on the pressure 99-2000 being bigger than 01/02 simply because fans, media etc. werent much aware of anything goin on in the camp 99-00. i also think the pressure after the cancelled 02 tour must have been unbelievable high and was a main part of the next generation of silent years 03-05.

Yes obviously the pressure was more during the live shows, but I was pointing out that seeing as they was representing GN'R there was still pressure in 1999-2000-2002. And I'm not even putting the live shows into the equation. But yes, I agree that the live shows would have been even more pressure, but I was on about starting a new era of GN'R, the Nu GN'R if you like, after the old band disbanded.

I am classing 1999-2002 as one era here, as all the members were the same with the exception of Paul Tobias, and Josh wasn't there for long either. You said that basically they brought it on themsleves because of the cancellations and in your opinion a 'so-so' VMA performance.

I was simply stating that even before the live shows they still had alot to live up to. And I believe no GN'R lineup since has faced that kind of expectation and critique.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:19:50 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »

Indeed. And even with all this pressure, they managed to write and record most of the album during these days. Cheesy

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2010, 01:50:40 PM »

It must of been so strange for the other members of the band, to have a member like Buckethead in the band. like all of the flying, hotels, limos, coaches. think about the interaction between Bucket and the other members at times like these, did he talk to them normally like without the mask?.  Cheesy

I remember a photo of Robin, Richard, Dizzy and Tommy outside a pub in the UK,, in 2002. And I always wonder whether it was a normal thing for Bucket not to be present in situations like this. I suppose it was, due to his image and alter ego character.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »

Maybe he was there, but just not in that pic because he didnt want a photo with him without the mask.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 08:11:32 AM »

In 2004 I was just becoming a fan, and now I'm aware of the situation regarding GN'R playing Lisbon in 2004. And not being able to due to Buckets departure.

But I can't help to dream about what that show would have been like if it went ahead, GN'R live in 2004 with the same lineup from 02. I bet it would of been an amazing show, and I'm so sad we wasn't able to see it happen.  Cry

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 08:15:03 AM »

I just wonder if they would have played more new songs like Better, TWAT or something, or would they go with the same 02 setlist.

I love Bumble, but it would be really something to see Bucket playing some of those new tunes.

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2010, 08:55:48 AM »

Voodoo, no way in 2004. the new songs irs, cd, twat, better, made it into the live set 5/2006 after the leaks. it was a different scenario in 2001 with the come back and the internet not being that common with audio/video (live) leaks.
we wont get new songs in 2010/11 aswell. yeah, all speculation but i'd bet a lot on it.
but i could see Bucket doing some special guest appearance on an US leg, then we might get your request.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2010, 09:15:02 AM »

I dunno, maybe they could do one of those new songs - the scenario wasn't that different from 2001 frankly, I heard Riad, Blues and CD a week BEFORE the RIR3 gig.

I don't think either they will debut new songs next year, that's a total different case now.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2010, 02:46:56 PM »

Line UP 2002, The Best INSTRUMENTAL Version In The History... GN`R

peace

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2010, 11:02:22 AM »

Line UP 2002, The Best INSTRUMENTAL Version In The History... GN`R

peace

You most likely right HBK, definitely technicialy I feel.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2010, 09:15:16 AM »

I tell you something: I don't think the live performances in the 2001-02 era were all that good. I didn't like Buckethead's improvisations because he overuses a lick pattern that annoys me to hell. Overall, it worked in some songs, but not in anothers.

I think the best instrumental version was in 2007, with Ron and Frank adding some powerful sound in the mix.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 08:25:14 PM »

I can't get enough of Welcome To The Jungle from Rock In Rio 2001. It is the best ever intro in my opinion, so much energy and expectation.

I would have given an arm and a leg to have been there.  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcMW31wtwpk

beer
axlpwns
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 09:49:13 PM »

when you listen to the RIR show from 2001 it sounds great it makes me wonder what would of happened if that version of GN'R played those European shows later that year or continued their 01 tour into 02

11/17/2011 East Rutherford, NJ- IZOD Center
11/19/2011 Hartford, CT- Comcast Theatre
2/12/2012 New York, NY- Terminal 5
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2010, 01:40:20 AM »

^^they've toured in 2002 with that line-up just minus Paul/+ Richard

Re-Union time, baby!!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2010, 06:57:20 AM »

I just can't listen to the RIR3. Don't get me wrong, I love the performance, the emotion and all, but the mix was one of the worst I have ever heard from a soundboard broadcast (actually, the 2nd worse). One of the best things in that era makes me cringe: the keyboards are way too high in the mix, at the point that pretty much covers all guitars.

Also, Robin's guitar sounds like they just got the source directly from his guitar, bypassing the amp and just connected straight to the soundboard. Sounds like shit and really made a bad impression of him by that time for those who didn't listen to his superb and far superior tone in the Vegas bootleg.

At least the bass is proeminent in the mix. The ending in The Blues/Street of Dreams really shines with Tommy awesome lines.

I don't know if it's an issue with Rock In Rio, though. The Portugal 2006 edition was even worse - the mix was so bad that I can't even watch it anything more than Nightrain, November Rain and the Beautiful duet with Robin and Richard. They just forgot to mix the guitars there.

If they will indeed play next year's Rock in Rio here in Brazil, I only hope the crew (which I'm sure there's no relation whatsoever with the band) can get things right this time. It's about time. Tongue

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 09:04:40 AM »

I definitely agree with the mixing being horrible on the TV and Web broadcast of the festival in 2006. But I was there and the sound was amazing in person, such a shame the organisors fucked up the mix.

If GN'R play Rio in Brazil in 2011, I really hope somebody from the festival pays special attention to GN'Rs sound and mix. I don't really have any complaints about the sound at Rio 2001, but I have a big complaint about the Lisbon 06 footage.

All who where there knows how amazing the band sounded, and it's a big shame we don't have brilliant sound to go along with the brilliant picture.  Cry
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 09:06:24 AM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2010, 11:19:03 AM »

I'm sure it was amazing there, as it was amazing for the audience on RIR 2001. It was really a problem with the sound mix of the broadcast.

axlpwns
Rocker

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »

^^they've toured in 2002 with that line-up just minus Paul/+ Richard

yeah but not a complete world tour

11/17/2011 East Rutherford, NJ- IZOD Center
11/19/2011 Hartford, CT- Comcast Theatre
2/12/2012 New York, NY- Terminal 5
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: