Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 02:52:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Axl's War Quote"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Axl's War Quote"  (Read 29834 times)
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2006, 09:35:48 PM »

All of you anti-war & Democrat people are wrong. Axl's not on your side either.

Years ago he did an interview, probably around 1992, and I can't remember the quote, but basically he said he was anti-government. He hates both Republicans & Democrats. He thinks all politicians are liars, and basically really trashed the entire setup of the U.S. Government.

Back in the '92 election, he bashed the dog shit out of both Bush & Clinton.

I'm sure it's no different now, if not worse. He hates the government as a whole. He's not on either side.

It sounds like he hates politics.. not government.

I'm not trying to be a smartass at all btw. Just pointing out that theres a difference.

He said government out of his own mouth, so...

I really wish I could find that quote.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 09:37:56 PM by The Legend » Logged

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2006, 09:49:59 PM »

"Our government talks about freedom and liberty while they exercise and maintain and enforce and strive for and fight for all the control they can have over the people. Since day one we've been taught to support our own oppression, and I think it's time for things to change." - W. Axl Rose, RIP Magazine, 1992.

Here we are in 2006, and nothing has changed...

And that's after both 8 years of a Democrat, and soon to be 8 years of a Republican...

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2006, 09:56:23 PM »

In my opinion, like many have said so far, Axl is neither a Republican or Democrat. ?Almost all of his political stances showed no strong support for either side. ?He obviously criticizes Republicans for their lack of initiative for AIDS and health care reform, yet also rips Tipper Gore for her censorship campaign and Clinton for his pot smoking debacle. ?He seems mostly anti-religious, yet has crosses in his house. ?He didn't seem to have a strong stance in support or against the first Gulf War, but obviously supported the troops. ?So, all in all, I'd say Axl doesn't like the government much either way without taking one side or another. ?Btw, a lot of these things I mentioned are things I've read in several different Guns articles; the exact ones, though, I cannot remmeber.  Also, Axl DEFINITELY has the right to say WHATEVER HE WANTS, but that doesn't mean I LIKE THE FACT THAT HE OR OTHER CELEBRITIES SAY THE THINGS THEY DO.  Just because certain people, like myself, don't like celebrities using their status for stating their political opinions does not mean that we believe they don't have the right.  If Axl were to do rants like Scott Weiland during the middle of a show, I would be pissed, because I am going to see Guns N' Roses, not the Republican or Democratic Convention.  If it's a band like Green Day or Sex Pistols, etc., that's different because much of their music is based on politics, whether I agree with them or not.  But Guns N' Roses have never been about that, and even though Axl has the right to say whatever he wants, that doesn't mean it's something I want to hear.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2006, 10:28:42 PM »

In my opinion, like many have said so far, Axl is neither a Republican or Democrat. ?Almost all of his political stances showed no strong support for either side. ?He obviously criticizes Republicans for their lack of initiative for AIDS and health care reform, yet also rips Tipper Gore for her censorship campaign and Clinton for his pot smoking debacle. ?He seems mostly anti-religious, yet has crosses in his house. ?He didn't seem to have a strong stance in support or against the first Gulf War, but obviously supported the troops. ?So, all in all, I'd say Axl doesn't like the government much either way without taking one side or another. ?Btw, a lot of these things I mentioned are things I've read in several different Guns articles; the exact ones, though, I cannot remmeber.? Also, Axl DEFINITELY has the right to say WHATEVER HE WANTS, but that doesn't mean I LIKE THE FACT THAT HE OR OTHER CELEBRITIES SAY THE THINGS THEY DO.? Just because certain people, like myself, don't like celebrities using their status for stating their political opinions does not mean that we believe they don't have the right.? If Axl were to do rants like Scott Weiland during the middle of a show, I would be pissed, because I am going to see Guns N' Roses, not the Republican or Democratic Convention.? If it's a band like Green Day or Sex Pistols, etc., that's different because much of their music is based on politics, whether I agree with them or not.? But Guns N' Roses have never been about that, and even though Axl has the right to say whatever he wants, that doesn't mean it's something I want to hear.

Very well said.  The exact point I was trying to illustrate earlier.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2006, 02:01:03 AM »

There's nothing more offensive than "interpreting" someone's political beliefs- especially when that person hasn't said shit. There is absolutely NO evidence about what Axl feels about the current Iraq War, George W. Bush or anything else. If Finck is on the left... good for him- but that doesn't say shit about Axl. Raise your hand if you would want someone to interpret your political beliefs based on your co-worker's opinions?Huh  Literally.... all we know is that Axl supported the TROOPS who served in the Gulf War 15 fucking years ago. No more. No less.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2006, 02:39:36 AM »

There's nothing more offensive than "interpreting" someone's political beliefs- especially when that person hasn't said shit. There is absolutely NO evidence about what Axl feels about the current Iraq War, George W. Bush or anything else. If Finck is on the left... good for him- but that doesn't say shit about Axl. Raise your hand if you would want someone to interpret your political beliefs based on your co-worker's opinions?Huh? Literally.... all we know is that Axl supported the TROOPS who served in the Gulf War 15 fucking years ago. No more. No less.

This is what I was trying to say on the last page.  We are debating quotes that are OVER 10 YEARS OLD.  No one here has any clue of Axl's current opinion of the government, politics, or the like....and even if you did why would you care?  Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  I can see if he said this last week but we are talking about things he said in the early 90's for crying out loud!  I was in my early teens back then and I certainly DO NOT have the same views I did back then and I seriously doubt he does as well, people change, grow, mature....  If he said this shit over the past year I could ALMOST see debating it here but this is just ridiculous.   Put it to bed already.

Do you like his music? Great, now leave it be and stop rehashing crap he said in a totally different CENTURY.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2006, 03:35:17 AM »

Are you guys kidding me with these responses??!! Looks to me like there's a lot of "americans" on here!

ummm yeah, Guns N' Roses are an AMERICAN band...so I would think there would be alot of americans on this board....whats your point?
GeraldFord
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2006, 03:45:23 AM »

Right. We have no way of knowing how Axl feels about any world events or what his beliefs are.
gnrlies
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2006, 04:01:45 AM »

I wont tie this to any belief of axl's as no-one can really say what he thinks - but I do support the war in Iraq....

I dont want this to turn into a big political discussion (although it already has) but you cant just sit on your ass and let people blow you up without doing something about it. Its not about revenge, its not about appealing to the right wing conservatives along the bible belt of america - its about defending our right to live without some fucking arab going to extremes in order to destroy all that is the western way of life.

People have a right to be upset about the Iraq war though. Weapons of mass destruction was used dishonestly as a justification for war (I mean north korea and iran is more of a threat on that premise, so its fair enough to question why similar action isn't taken to these countries). It wasn't done efficiently, and a lot of pain has been brought to both sides that i'm sure could have, and should have been avoided. But nonetheless, I believe the world is a safer place with mr Hussein out of the picture, and in the long run it will have been worth it.

A traditional arguement against the Iraq war is that by going to war we are only encouraging terrorists to commit furuther attacks. This arguement is false. In fact its proven false by the simple fact that those people decided to fly two planes into the WTC 5 years ago. That was of course before the iraq war, before the afghani war yet people were still out there willing to commit to such evil.

The anti-west beliefs held by that part of the world stems from a complex array of issues ranging from extremist interpretations of the quoran, as well as israel. This is the real problem.

Thats my opinion, so if anyone wants to pay out on me, at least dont personalise it - because there is nothing more disgraceful than someone attacking an individual for their personal beliefs. If you have a problem with what i'm saying then intellectually challenge it. Dont be petulant.
GeraldFord
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2006, 04:09:06 AM »

I wont tie this to any belief of axl's as no-one can really say what he thinks - but I do support the war in Iraq....

I dont want this to turn into a big political discussion (although it already has) but you cant just sit on your ass and let people blow you up without doing something about it. Its not about revenge, its not about appealing to the right wing conservatives along the bible belt of america - its about defending our right to live without some fucking arab going to extremes in order to destroy all that is the western way of life.

People have a right to be upset about the Iraq war though. Weapons of mass destruction was used dishonestly as a justification for war (I mean north korea and iran is more of a threat on that premise, so its fair enough to question why similar action isn't taken to these countries). It wasn't done efficiently, and a lot of pain has been brought to both sides that i'm sure could have, and should have been avoided. But nonetheless, I believe the world is a safer place with mr Hussein out of the picture, and in the long run it will have been worth it.

A traditional arguement against the Iraq war is that by going to war we are only encouraging terrorists to commit furuther attacks. This arguement is false. In fact its proven false by the simple fact that those people decided to fly two planes into the WTC 5 years ago. That was of course before the iraq war, before the afghani war yet people were still out there willing to commit to such evil.

The anti-west beliefs held by that part of the world stems from a complex array of issues ranging from extremist interpretations of the quoran, as well as israel. This is the real problem.

Thats my opinion, so if anyone wants to pay out on me, at least dont personalise it - because there is nothing more disgraceful than someone attacking an individual for their personal beliefs. If you have a problem with what i'm saying then intellectually challenge it. Dont be petulant.

wow. deep.  hihi
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2006, 04:28:28 AM »

Are you guys kidding me with these responses??!! Looks to me like there's a lot of "americans" on here! "The first gulf-war was a just war! haha! The US doesn't have a free press that reflects the truth about what's going on! So you are hereby excused! Please for the love of God; stop posting nonsense! "I hate Chris Martin and Bono..." ehem!! The next GNR album is called what? CHINESE DEMOCRACY!!!!!! If that's not political, then I don't know what is! If a rockstar like Chris Martin or Bono (or Axl) wants to talk about their political views, let them do so! It's been done for ages by persons with influence! Who cares if Axl has a little dobbel-standard. Search YouTube for the interview from Donnington '88 where he talks shit about Iron Maiden for being a "political-band" Everyone eventually grows up and wants to make a difference; even Axl! PS: love this site! Keep it up guys, most of these posts are interesting and I enjoy reading them. But MOST on THIS thread is pure ignorence! You made my day!!! Smiley (by the way; I work in one of the largest recordstores in Norway. I just spoke to Universal this week. And we're not gonna see CD this year! Take my word for it! Sorry guys!)

I don't understand why a small minority of this board acts like just because the record is called "Chinese Democracy" that it's obviously political. It's just a name.. sounds cool. Contraband must be about the military right man?

And as for the last part of your comment... we all believe you  Roll Eyes. Noob

confused "It's just a name"??!!  Haven't you heard the Las Vegas '01 bootleg? Do your homework before posting ok

Stavanger-rock-city!!
gnrlies
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2006, 06:10:31 AM »

Are you guys kidding me with these responses??!! Looks to me like there's a lot of "americans" on here! "The first gulf-war was a just war! haha! The US doesn't have a free press that reflects the truth about what's going on! So you are hereby excused! Please for the love of God; stop posting nonsense! "I hate Chris Martin and Bono..." ehem!! The next GNR album is called what? CHINESE DEMOCRACY!!!!!! If that's not political, then I don't know what is! If a rockstar like Chris Martin or Bono (or Axl) wants to talk about their political views, let them do so! It's been done for ages by persons with influence! Who cares if Axl has a little dobbel-standard. Search YouTube for the interview from Donnington '88 where he talks shit about Iron Maiden for being a "political-band" Everyone eventually grows up and wants to make a difference; even Axl! PS: love this site! Keep it up guys, most of these posts are interesting and I enjoy reading them. But MOST on THIS thread is pure ignorence! You made my day!!! Smiley (by the way; I work in one of the largest recordstores in Norway. I just spoke to Universal this week. And we're not gonna see CD this year! Take my word for it! Sorry guys!)

Theres a diff between disagreeing with someones views and being ignorant....

Personally I hate it when musicians take up a political cause for one single reason.... Who the hell are they to comment on world affairs? They abuse their position by promoting their views to a fanbase who are likely to adopt their cause just because they are fans of the band.

I mean many muscians arent all that educated. They might be artistic, and even genius in nature, but theres a difference between being gifted in an artistic way, and being educated on world affairs.

In all fairness, some people like bono have a lot to show for themselves and are probably in a better position than most to comment, but there are hundreds more bands who are political in nature who dont have a terrible amount of logic behind what they are saying (you know, the typical anti globalisation, anti corporation types)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 06:12:39 AM by gnrlies » Logged
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2006, 06:47:57 AM »

Are you guys kidding me with these responses??!! Looks to me like there's a lot of "americans" on here!

ummm yeah, Guns N' Roses are an AMERICAN band...so I would think there would be alot of americans on this board....whats your point?

What's my point? Didn't you read the entire post?   Roll Eyes

Stavanger-rock-city!!
gnrfanxxx
Rocker

The majority

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2006, 10:25:32 AM »

this thread is pretty pointless right now

where does it leave me, when you dont believe in me?
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2006, 10:38:24 AM »

This thread is pointless, who cares! The quote was about the first gulf war not the current situation in Iraq, two completly different conflicts. Axl is entitled to his own opinion on current affairs just like everyone else. We can discuss whether going in was right or wrong, or whether supporting troops in various different ways is right or wrong but at the end of the day we are on a Guns n Roses forum on the internet, not some political think tank that advises those that are in power on foreign policy.

It seems to me Axl has a pretty good understanding of War, Civil War reads true!

Jonx
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2006, 01:45:16 PM »

oh yeah and for the person who said "chinese democracy" just sounds cool...you are right...Axl said the same thing in a 1999 interview with kurt loder...
gnrfanxxx
Rocker

The majority

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2006, 02:32:41 PM »

This thread is pointless, who cares! The quote was about the first gulf war not the current situation in Iraq, two completly different conflicts. Axl is entitled to his own opinion on current affairs just like everyone else. We can discuss whether going in was right or wrong, or whether supporting troops in various different ways is right or wrong but at the end of the day we are on a Guns n Roses forum on the internet, not some political think tank that advises those that are in power on foreign policy.

It seems to me Axl has a pretty good understanding of War, Civil War reads true!

Jonx

TRUE if you want to talk about political stuff go to politicalcrossfire.com

where does it leave me, when you dont believe in me?
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2006, 02:44:24 PM »

It would be intersting to see if Axl is as right as he once was.? I mean, the guy used words like "nigger" and "faggot" in a song, he was likely not too far left back then.

But agree with a lot here, his opinion is worth as much as any of ours...no more, no less.

Actucally I think he was not too far right either since he says "radicals and racists don't point your finger at me" in the last verse, which always seems to be forgotten

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2006, 10:54:18 PM »

It would be intersting to see if Axl is as right as he once was.? I mean, the guy used words like "nigger" and "faggot" in a song, he was likely not too far left back then.

But agree with a lot here, his opinion is worth as much as any of ours...no more, no less.

Actucally I think he was not too far right either since he says "radicals and racists don't point your finger at me" in the last verse, which always seems to be forgotten

Radicals & racists = Republicans huh?

Sounds ignorant to me...

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2006, 11:54:33 PM »

The Legend, you're right.  I have personally seen racism from people on BOTH the left and right in almost equal amounts.  That not only includes people that I have personally encountered, but also politicians (i.e. Robert Byrd, Cynthia McKinney, who are as racist as they come and are Democrats).  Are many of the ultra right-wing politicians and people racist/prejudiced?  Yes they are, but there are many people who claim to be leftists who are just as racist, whether some want to be believe it or not.  It works both ways.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: