Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 12:17:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Axl Rose rocks like there's no tomorrow" - Everett Herald Review
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Axl Rose rocks like there's no tomorrow" - Everett Herald Review  (Read 8578 times)
EET_FUK
Rocker

« on: December 12, 2006, 05:50:31 PM »

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/06/12/12/100ae_d3gunsrevu001.cfm

Axl Rose rocks like there's no tomorrow
Guns N' Roses may have taken the Everett Events Center's stage late, but they give their fans a show they'll remember for a long time.

By Christina Harper
Special to The Herald

EVERETT - Fans of Guns N' Roses hoping to see the band on the remainder of their 2006 World Tour have been living under a rock if they turn up to a show and don't know that they're gonna rock and roll all night. And I mean all night.

Sebastian Bach, that long-haired, boyish, ex-Skid Row frontman, one of three opening acts, whipped the crowd into a rock 'n' roll frenzy, all the while telling them how much ass Axl Rose, Guns N' Roses' frontman, was going to kick when he came on stage, whenever that would be.

Yawn.

Notorious for not arriving on stage until he is absolutely ready, Rose, has been chided throughout this tour for starting his set at 11 p.m., midnight and even 12:30 a.m., being difficult at best, and sometimes even canceling gigs.

Well, people, get over it. Guns N' Roses might not have anything close to their original line-up but they do have a show that will blow your mind and take you to a place you haven't been for about 20 years. You either don't like them to begin with or you'll go to your grave growling an anthem like "November Rain" and loving every moment of this long-awaited tour.

Sunday night's audience at Everett Events Center was in for the long haul, happy to air thump through opening acts Suicide Girls - described as a tattooed, half-naked, hard-to-grasp group of women - and Helmet, a hard-core thrash-rock band. Bach pumped up the audience with lashing screams and renditions of hits like "18 and Life" and "Youth Gone Wild."

After a not-so-brief interlude, the lights went out, not down, and at 11:40 p.m. search lights and smoke got the audience ready for liftoff. And what a blast it was, beginning with booming balls of fire, blasting strobe lights and that all-too-familiar Axl Rose scream welcoming the audience to the jungle.

Rose, dressed in jeans, black shirt and red boots to match his red microphone and stand, and was in great form. His voice, at times, was more here and there than on, but no one seemed to care.

This is not the Guns N' Roses of old. These hand-picked musicians are not trying to cover anthems played by Slash and Izzy Stradlin.

Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and Richard Fortus blazed through "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Used to Love Her" and "November Rain." Those guys could have played "Jingle Bells" and it would have been a head banger's high. They rocked.

During the night, a baby grand was rolled out and Dizzy Reed, long thin dreads and tattooed bare arms, stopped the show with a piano solo of the Rolling Stones classic, "Angie." He played madly and beautifully at the same time.

And where was Rose in all of this? He's the central character in this tour that for the most part is full of pure musical genius, a whirling dervish kind of character thumping his leg and sway dancing in time to the throbbing rock sound of "Paradise City."

Some think Rose is a rock god, maybe a rock demon. He has the Jim Morrison mesmerizing effect on his audience that pounds the air with fists and screams out his songs into the lights. You can't help but watch him and know that, for all his problems (and there have been many), he's the master of the night no matter what he looks like or if his voice is not exactly up to par. He can whistle the beginning of "Patience" and that's what fans have been waiting for, that and the 10-years-in-the-making new album "Chinese Democracy."

This tour has been criticized for being a platform for a Guns N' Roses cover band or the same songs just 20 years later. It's not. It is a comet full of rock music blasting, expertly, through the night with fire and booms. This Guns N' Roses sent a charge so hard and strong that the energy lasted into the streets of Everett well after the show.

The old Guns N' Roses might have been one of the best rock bands ever. The new one is.

Christina Harper is a Snohomish County freelance writer. She can be reached at harper@heraldnet.com.

Jason Fritz / The Herald

axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 05:54:06 PM »

Kick ass, one of the best reviews yet.

"The new one IS" Smiley

Axl is God.
Saboteur
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 05:57:59 PM »

The old Guns N' Roses might have been one of the best rock bands ever. The new one is.

how can someone write such a bullshit? no
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 05:58:09 PM »

A journalist who gets it.

It's not the old band, but it's still one of the greatest bands.

Why can't more people get that?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 06:02:03 PM »

Great review!  My only problem is that they seem to always want to talk about cancellations.  There have been two, and one was due to illness...not a big deal!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 06:07:55 PM »

seems allright with me.how can you say it's bullshit ?

the one an only horsey !
estranged.1098
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 06:10:17 PM »

/jarmo

Because they haven't released an album. All bands are judged based on their material, don't know why you would expect it to be different with this band.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 06:24:41 PM »

Cool review.  I'm with that one dude though, the last line is a little...."err, I don't know about that".  Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but its as if he is saying "the old band MIGHT be one of the best bands ever, but the new band IS one of the best bands ever".

Not taking anything away from the current band, I definitely dig it, but I don't think there is any question what AFD/Illusions guns MIGHT have been in terms of their greatness.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
eraser
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 06:26:29 PM »

And where was Rose in all of this? He's the central character in this tour that for the most part is full of pure musical genius, a whirling dervish kind of character thumping his leg and sway dancing in time to the throbbing rock sound of "Paradise City."

wait!

is that a review of the show where there was NO paradise city?

Huh

edit: ok sorry got confused for a second Smiley
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:30:24 PM by eraser » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 06:30:11 PM »

wait!

is that a review of the show where there was NO paradise city?

Huh

No, Everett was the night before Portland.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 06:45:27 PM »

Wow. Great review. The reviewer is no doubt pushing the envelope with that last line though. Old Guns (whether AFD or UYI era) was without question one of the great rock bands of music history- few people even refute that these days (in contrast to the mid/late 90's)- so I'm not sure I'm down with the word might in that context. As far as the new line-up being one of the great rock bands of music history... I won't say they won't ever be- b/c they're pretty damn amazing and they're definitely delivering live- BUT they need two albums (that's basically all it took for old Guns to be termed "great") out there that kick major ass first. Right now... they're just this amazing band bubbling over with potential... kind of like Live Like a Suicide!?x era Guns in a funny way...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
muffinass
Headliner

I'm a muffin!

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 07:28:37 PM »

/jarmo

the only thing the new GNR can be hailed for (at this point) is being amazing PERFORMERS. like estranged8 said, you can't judge a band without hearing their MATERIAL. yes, WE know that Robin and Pittman have been major contributors to the CD songbook, but even that info is taken from rumours (which, given GNR's excellent PR, are all we have).

have the new guys been given a chance to bond to the public (remember: a great MAJORITY of the audience at concerts don't read the forums) i would maybe understand calling a band. but to give high praise as being one of the greatest bands ever on a concert performance? wow...

i love the new band, but please, let's be realistic and wake up to the expectations that live OUTSIDE our little cocoon of GNR love. hell, i can hardly wait to see a sit-down interview w/ loder, axl and fink...until that happens or until GNR PR handyman Merck starts discussing other topics abotu the band aside from how great concerts were and they're sorry for cancellations (read their official page...what do u see?), i'll refrain from being overly extatic about the BAND (or CD for that matter). their concerts are a different thing.

Nov.15th, Air Canada Center !!!
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 07:39:26 PM »

That was the best review yet with the exception that he didn't mention their best guitarist- Robin (imo but really a fact) hihi

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 07:58:03 PM »

Killer review. I love this chick  peace

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
darkmonth
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 09:39:40 PM »

/jarmo

Well, I think you'll find that he was saying how can the journo who said the old band was one of the greatest bands and the new one IS ... is that the new band is THE best band ....

well, based on the little output they have, the statement is a tad overspoken.... since they ARE just playing through a load of the old band's songs ... which is fine ... and I like them ... they DO rock the tunes ... but they're far (at the moment) from the greatest band!
Crowebar
Sir Puke-a-Lot
VIP

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 12:15:49 AM »

This is cool. yes

Axl and company just need to get the new album out now. beer smoking beer ok
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 06:51:44 AM »

Cool review, but I got a suspicion that the writers wallet is a few bucks heavier now than it was. smoking

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Gunner17
Rocker

What we got here is...

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 10:06:58 AM »

It's a little ironic that the title was printed the day before the 13th show Grin

Cool article
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 10:20:34 AM »

/jarmo

Well, I think you'll find that he was saying how can the journo who said the old band was one of the greatest bands and the new one IS ... is that the new band is THE best band ....

I think what the journalist was saying is that the old band was one of the greatest bands but that band doesnt exist anymore. The new band does exist and it is one of the greatest bands.
Annie
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 10:39:15 AM »

/jarmo
I do! ok
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: