Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 03:52:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better" - "Download Now" review (RS)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better" - "Download Now" review (RS)  (Read 26949 times)
bazgnr
Legend

« on: March 08, 2007, 06:18:45 PM »

Every month, RS Magazine has a section devoted to single downloads.  The current issue features a stage shot of Axl with the caption "Step Away from the Pro Tools Console."  "Better" is highlighted and labeled as the "MUST-HAVE" download of the month.

"Axl slips out the first tune from Chinese Democracy - or is this just a cry for help? (Leaked)"

"It's fitting that Axl Rose called what could be the first single from Chinese Democracy "Better" - he's been futzing with the same set of songs for years, polishing them until he can see his cornrows reflected in every gleaming note.  And now that this apparently finished version of the tune has leaked, it's time for him to stop.  As live versions and a previously leaked demo have revealed, "Better" kicks ass - it attempts to be both the poppiest and the heaviest Guns 'n Roses tune ever, and it nearly succeeds.  This verion, however, is almost hilariously ornate.  There are several different guitar solos in wildly varying styles (from Tom Morello-esque bleeping to Slash-like lyricism), disparate sections that sometimes sound like altogether separate songs and at least three different Axl voices (creepy baby, sexy pop crooner, and heavy-metal she-devil).  One thing's for sure: Even a single additional overdub would definintely make this worse."
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 06:23:58 PM »

This is big news and I'm sad to say I think I agree with their assessment. I love the first leaked demo and love it live, but am still not crazy about this current leak. Too bad this is the one everyone's hearing.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 06:24:05 PM »

I like the "Step away from the pro-tools console" bit. ?I agree. ?Cool that RS gave the tune some pub.  Although them assuming its the "finished" version is a little hasty.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:24:55 PM »

cool nice find ok

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 06:43:30 PM »

meh i liked the first leak and live versions better than this new version that is out.

I would also like to add Chinese Democracy from Rio 2001 is the best version of the song.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
evergreen_layne
Rocker

People have waited a long time for this

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 06:45:33 PM »

Aww man if Axl reads this we ain't never gonna get a single.  He'll only focus on the "wildly varying styles" part and commence "re-tooling" to infinity. 

11.08.02 - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
12.10.06 - Everett Events Center, Everett, WA
12.11.06 - Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 06:46:13 PM »

They don't seem to be able to properly judge a mix if they think this newest demo are a final version. I'm sorry, but it's pretty obvious that this is not a matter of overproducing the song, but rather understand that this is only a demo - with a different mix than the previous, but still a demo.

But I agree, I prefer the first version.

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 07:00:55 PM »

Me, I'm hoping that the version reviewed isn't the final version.  I *love* the added vocal harmonies at the end, but wish the guitar hadn't dropped in the mix, especially considering it meant pushing the effects and keys higher.

I was just happy to see the leak getting such a prominent feature - again, it's the "Must-have" download with a 1/4 page pic. of Axl onstage.  I love how the review is both fair and positive, and totally agree with the reviewer's message:  enough is enough.  Time to put the music out there.   beer
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 07:03:24 PM »

Since this song is not available on itunes or anything arent they promoting illegal downloads  Huh

Lets bust em  hihi
Mike McKagan
Rocker

I'm a small town white boy...

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 07:29:02 PM »

I agree with evergreen.  This little blurb probably just pushed CD back another three months.  Hehe.   smoking

VR--Nashville, TN--10/16/2004
GN'R--Portland, OR--12/11/2006
GN'R--Rosemont, IL--11/15/2011
GN'R--Nashville, TN--07/09/2016
GN'R--Saint Louis, MO--09/09/2023
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 07:50:02 PM »

People seem to get aggitated around here anytime someone has brought up the concept of the album being overproduced, this commentary seems to validate that concern. I am just hoping someone from the GNR camp saw this blurb and decided to get the final version of this and other songs closer to the original leaked sound than that of the latest leak.

I suspect this version of Better was leaked to get some feedback on how people felt about the production value before final mixing commences, and lets hope they see that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 07:53:45 PM »

agree with the article, enough is enough lets hear some songs. I also agree that i liked the first version better. At the same time if i never heard the first version id be happy with the leak that is out now.
badapplex
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 07:59:58 PM »

Most of those "download now" songs have star ratings,right? So what was "better" rated?? Could somebody post a scan if possible?
badapplex
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 08:05:40 PM »

P.S. Umm.I'm sure I'm the minority here,but seriously ... I honestly do NOT hear that much of a difference in these 2 versions! Jesus,people act as if it's a complete re-work of the track,when in reality ... Yes,it is more polished ... The lead guitars are slightly farther back in the mix ... and of course,the added vocal harmonies at the end,but still ... it's the same damn song.It rocks just as hard as the original leak.I'm not sure which I prefer,really ... but the new leaks tinkering (in my opinion) doesn't justify a "this song sucks now" type of comment.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 08:08:26 PM »

Most of those "download now" songs have star ratings,right? So what was "better" rated?? Could somebody post a scan if possible?

Oddly enough, "Better" was the only one that didn't have a "star" rating.  All others did.  So can we assume a 4/4 rating?

Not quite sure how to post a scan, by the way...
MotherGooseLuvR
More synthesizer (and Pitman) please
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 08:08:40 PM »

I don't think this reviewer really knows what he's talking about.

He mentions all the new guitar solos... but that's just wrong. ?

He probably heard TWAT or something else a while ago and just got them confused.

? Mother Goose sez: GET YO SYNTH ON, BITCHES!? 
badapplex
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 08:16:11 PM »

Baz,I think it's only the leaked songs that never get the star ratings,now that I think of it.I'm curious who wrote the current review? Was it Brian Hiatt?? If so,he's the one who wrote the initial review for "IRS",TWAT" and "Better" back when they were originally leaked.Of course,he loved "Better" and referred to it as a song that beats most of Use Your Illusion.He also wrote the concert review for the NJ show last year,and once again,praised it. "The poppy yet headbanging "Better" is among the best he's (Axl) has ever written" he said

And Goose, I hear ya.It sounds to me like he's describing a completely different song.To go from loving it,to all of a sudden talking (against) the various guitar solos,various Axl vocals,etc ... That just doesn't make sense.Like I said before,it's the same damn song.
EstrangedReality
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 08:20:24 PM »

Put the fucking album out, Axl. For god's sake, put it out.

(DISCLAIMER: Yes, I'm talking to myself. I'm not totally delusional yet.)
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »

Baz,I think it's only the leaked songs that never get the star ratings,now that I think of it.I'm curious who wrote the current review? Was it Brian Hiatt?? If so,he's the one who wrote the initial review for "IRS",TWAT" and "Better" back when they were originally leaked.Of course,he loved "Better" and referred to it as a song that beats most of Use Your Illusion.He also wrote the concert review for the NJ show last year,and once again,praised it. "The poppy yet headbanging "Better" is among the best he's (Axl) has ever written" he said

And Goose, I hear ya.It sounds to me like he's describing a completely different song.To go from loving it,to all of a sudden talking (against) the various guitar solos,various Axl vocals,etc ... That just doesn't make sense.Like I said before,it's the same damn song.

Yep, it's Brian Hiatt.  Sorry for not listing that in the original post.
badapplex
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 08:31:50 PM »

Yep, it's Brian Hiatt.? Sorry for not listing that in the original post.

What an ass he is.I was really happy to see Axl had somebody on his side in the media,especially a guy like that from Rolling Stone ... but yeah .... eventually,they'll all find something bitch about.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: