Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 04:35:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227866 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "70% Awesome 30% weird"-Dave Navarro
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "70% Awesome 30% weird"-Dave Navarro  (Read 14441 times)
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 06:16:36 AM »

I thought WTTJ was weird the first time I heard it.  yes

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 07:26:26 AM »

um, maybe we read different articles.  he said it was 30 percent weird, but that it became awesome.  so why not just say it was one hundred percent awesome?  simple... because he, like a lot of other assholes out there, just love to find any opportunity they can to trash axl.  so even when he loves the album as he clearly does, he still has to go out of his way to trash it in the same breath.

and even when axl has settled the 'solo project' business once and for all, he CONTINUES to spread that bullshit.  he knows it's not a solo album.  he knows it's a gnr album.  but he's still running his mouth, trying to put the new band down.  so quite simply... fuck him.  i have no need for haters, moaners and whiners in my life.

Do you think everyone outside the wee bubble of Guns N' Roses internet fans has been avidly reading Axl's posts on message boards about why it's not a solo record?  He thinks it feels like a solo record - so what?  Fair enough, to a lot of people it will.  Does that mean they hate Axl, does that mean they just want to "bash the new band" or does it simply mean that this sounds like Axl Rose's project?

At some point you're going to realise that not everybody thinks that Chinese Democracy is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  This doesn't make them idiots, haters, or any other abusive names you feel like adding: it just means the record doesn't do "it" for them.  Fair enough, all music is like that.

The last line of your post did make me chuckle, by the way. 

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 07:39:45 AM »

fuck dave.  who is he anyways?  a nobody.  does anyone give a shit about his stupid bands anymore?  who is he to say anything critical about axl rose?  he can go straight to hell as far as i am concerned.
Janes Addiction. one of the best rock bands to come out of the late 80s.

Hes played with the Chili Peppers, hes played on a Marilyn Manson album, hes also played guitar for a GNR song.

Who are you?

I think Dave ment because he is knew the old guns personally, it feels more like an axl record.

Because he personally knew Axl and the rest of them. To him, its Axls output.

He also goes on to talk about how he doesnt know the guys in the band now, which would also make sense about his comment.

html sucks
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 09:40:16 AM »

fuck dave.  who is he anyways?  a nobody.  does anyone give a shit about his stupid bands anymore?  who is he to say anything critical about axl rose?  he can go straight to hell as far as i am concerned.
Well he did say the album was pretty much completely awesome.  Not sure that's so negative.

um, maybe we read different articles.  he said it was 30 percent weird, but that it became awesome.  so why not just say it was one hundred percent awesome?  simple... because he, like a lot of other assholes out there, just love to find any opportunity they can to trash axl.  so even when he loves the album as he clearly does, he still has to go out of his way to trash it in the same breath.

and even when axl has settled the 'solo project' business once and for all, he CONTINUES to spread that bullshit.  he knows it's not a solo album.  he knows it's a gnr album.  but he's still running his mouth, trying to put the new band down.  so quite simply... fuck him.  i have no need for haters, moaners and whiners in my life.

Man, you've got issues!  rofl
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 09:54:30 AM »

Overall it sounds as though he loves the album..He didn't mention playiing on OMG....
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »

Well he did say the album was pretty much completely awesome.  Not sure that's so negative.

Man, you've got issues!  rofl

yeah, my issue is that i love the best band in the world and don't like it when people shit on them.  my 'issue' is called loyalty and respect.  look into it some time.
Erin
Opening Act

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 02:54:41 PM »

yeah, my issue is that i love the best band in the world and don't like it when people shit on them.  my 'issue' is called loyalty and respect.  look into it some time.

I think you're reading too much into it. I thought what he said was pretty positive. He's entitled to his opinion just like the rest of us.
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 03:03:36 PM »

I think you're reading too much into it. I thought what he said was pretty positive. He's entitled to his opinion just like the rest of us.

and i'm entitled to my opinion that he's a trash talker with a stupid opinion.  so deal with it.   beer
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 03:07:20 PM »

He never actually said it was an Axl solo record, he said it felt like one to him because he's not that familiar with the rest of the band. I don't think there was any spite involved....

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 03:10:02 PM »

In the United States?

Nooooo.....that's some crazy talk!  Grin
sandman
Legend

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 03:30:27 PM »

navarro played on a gnr song, so his opinion is worth more than anyone's on this board.

yes, this is a gnr album and this is Axl's vision.

but it's completely unrealistic for people to expect everyone to feel the same way. for OVER 20 years, people associated Slash with gnr. and slash has a very distinctive sound. so when people hear gnr and they don't hear slash or anything that resembles slash, it doesn't sound like gnr to them.

i'm not sure why this bothers or surprises people. who cares what they think. just be glad they are listening at all.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 03:52:53 PM »

navarro played on a gnr song, so his opinion is worth more than anyone's on this board.

Except for Mr. Dexter and Fernando Lebeis.  ok
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 04:10:41 PM »

Chinese Democracy is what GnR sounds like now.   That album is the current GnR sound, so to say it doesn't sound like GnR is simply a false statement.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 04:52:21 PM »

Especially considering Lies didnt sound much like Appetite and UYI didnt sound like Lies or Appetite. Saying Chinese Doesn't sound like GN'R when its Axl singing and the songs are masterful is silly. But, saying that, Dave was real fucking positive and cool. You people seeing it any other way are fucking nuts.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 05:04:46 PM »

but it's completely unrealistic for people to expect everyone to feel the same way. for OVER 20 years, people associated Slash with gnr. and slash has a very distinctive sound. so when people hear gnr and they don't hear slash or anything that resembles slash, it doesn't sound like gnr to them.

i'm not sure why this bothers or surprises people. who cares what they think. just be glad they are listening at all.

because... if someone isn't performing metaphorical fellatio about the album/Ax,l then they're talking shit. Dave Navarro is a great musician and songwriter. his opinion does carry something. and he wasn't bashing the friggin' album. the album has the GNR name. but it sounds nothing like classic GNR. he's not taking away anything from the current band/sound. he is just stating that based on nostalgia... it's not old GNR.

Axl did say it's not a "solo record", but he is the only original member. i think this is a GNR record, but it isn't the GNR i grew up listening to. simple as that.

some people are just to damn sensititive. does Navarro have to say it's the greatest record ever made for him to think highly of the record? he obviously does.

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »

what strange reasoning.  slash played on lots of gnr songs.  so does that mean that his opinion is worth more than the loyal fans who've stayed loyal to this band through the highs and lows?  by your reasoning, even a lying manipulative snake would have an opinion that's worth more than mine just because axl allowed them to do some recording in his band. 
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »

what strange reasoning.  slash played on lots of gnr songs.  so does that mean that his opinion is worth more than the loyal fans who've stayed loyal to this band through the highs and lows?  by your reasoning, even a lying manipulative snake would have an opinion that's worth more than mine just because axl allowed them to do some recording in his band. 

I don't understand.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »

because... if someone isn't performing metaphorical fellatio about the album/Ax,l then they're talking shit.

some people are just to damn sensititive. does Navarro have to say it's the greatest record ever made for him to think highly of the record? he obviously does.

it's insane isn't it?  Some of the people on this board are beyond obsessed.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2008, 05:59:20 PM »

I don't understand.

I don't think we're supposed to  hihi

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
sandman
Legend

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 07:48:12 PM »

Except for Mr. Dexter and Fernando Lebeis.  ok

actually, i don't consider Axl's comments an "opinion." he is the decision-maker. and Fernando's opinion is worth no more than yours or mine. and based on all his retractions, his comments are worth less.  hihi 

and yes, the opinion of a guitar player that contributed to a gnr song who was NOT part of the "old gnr" carries more weight IMO. he was directly involved with the "current" gnr.

it's like interpreting a song. Axl said he wants "to give people the opportunity to get what they can from the material for a while before clouding that with my inspirations." it's the same with the band name...Axl has his vision and belief of what "gnr" represents, but other people have their own interpretations of what "gnr" means to them.

i just think some people are way too sensitive about this stuff. who cares what people think about the band name??? it's the music that matters.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: