Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 01:38:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Robin Finck
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Finck  (Read 261446 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2009, 05:10:17 AM »

I'm sorry, but I know for a fact that Sorry and Street Of Dreams were not butchered by DJ. Far from it.
You prefer Robin, fair enough. But don't go making accusations like that, which are just ridiculous.
Sorry, but he did. It missed the purpose of the original solos. In SOD he even wasn't able to play the bends as they are supposed and it sounded out of tune.

Funny is that I even liked his Sorry solo, even kinda fucked up.

DJ and Robin, and Fortus are all around the same level in skill.  I wouldn't say they are "elite" players, but they are solid touring players for sure.  Bucket and Bumble are on another level. 
I agree.

Once you start nitpicking this "who is a better guitarist", you start to lose out on what makes a great rock band.  These shows shouldn't be exams on technical skill.

What's the "rippin-ist" Beatles or Who solo??  I think Keith Richards put it best when he said it all becomes a "fastest gun in the West" mentallity when you try to compare technical soloing skill.

The original line-up had obvious chemistry while it lasted.  Time will tell with this group, but so far they seem like they are having fun and giving the crowd a great show.
I'm not talking about technical skills. What I'm saying is both Robin and Ashba fuck up their live performances, as much as some people tries to make it like DJ is flawless.

IMHO, DJ isn't really the right person to play Robin's stuff. Still, he has a great vibe and does play and sound more like Slash (which makes some people wet their pants), so in a different angle, he does fit in the band, of course. I'd rather have someone sounding like himself (even if it's far from Robin's style), but oh well...

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2009, 07:22:49 AM »

Or as one reviewer put it: "Like a cat being raped in front of an orchestra" rofl
yeah, we get it, we got it the first time,
yeah reviewers kick ass, they have better taste in music then us and are more important than us
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2009, 07:24:59 AM »

Well, he's probably not used to playing such a random, unmelodious solo. Hell, that thing is so random, it's hard to remember after even so many listens. The fact that a good guitarist like Ashba can't play Robin's solo as well as he does Slash's, IMO, says more about how poor the solo is than his skills.
So you think that Robin's solos are random and unmelodious. Whatever, Axl seems to be very happy with them and he even said how much he liked Robin's TWAT solo - oh, wait, Ashba fucked up that solo as well and Robin played it much better in 2006! He fucked up a riff in Better after Ron's slide. He not only missed when to start playing but he played the riff ridiculously. Ron even tried to extend his slide to cover Ashba's ass but he couldn't play for him. Sadly.

Great guitar solos are not ambiguous. You don't have half the people who listen to it say that it is crap. If you say that the solos in 'Hotel California', 'Sweet Child O' Mine' or 'Stairway To Heaven' are not good, you either don't know WTF you're are saying or you're biased. Everybody agrees those are exceptional solos.

TIL doesn't even come close.
Really? Funny, because to me TIL solo is at least as good - those solos are fucking overrated, just like the SCOM intro riff. Oh and there are plenty of people that hate SCOM's solo and they do know a lot about music.

Just saw him screwing up his November Rain solo too.
You forgot Live and Let Die (At rehearsals)!

Ha, the funny thing is... everyone's talking about Ashba n' all, but he fucked up plenty of solos. Bumble and Richard did NOT hit any wrong notes or w/e. But no, we don't need Bumble and Ashba's the best thing to happen to GnR since Slash's departure.

DJ bucthered Sorry, November Rain, This I Love and Street of Dreams. Not just "a solo". Still, people rather comment on how cool he looks while saying Robin was the worst thing ever.
I'll add... Better, Live and Let Die, TWAT and so on...

I'm sorry, but I know for a fact that Sorry and Street Of Dreams were not butchered by DJ. Far from it.
You prefer Robin, fair enough. But don't go making accusations like that, which are just ridiculous.
Sorry, but he did. It missed the purpose of the original solos. In SOD he even wasn't able to play the bends as they are supposed and it sounded out of tune.
You are right. He missed the purpose of the original TWAT solo as well.

I'm not talking about technical skills. What I'm saying is both Robin and Ashba fuck up their live performances, as much as some people tries to make it like DJ is flawless.
Ashba fucked up his live performances more so than Robin did in Rock in Rio or Las Vegas. The problem is that Robin doesn't try to sound like Slash so he's the bad guy.

IMHO, DJ isn't really the right person to play Robin's stuff. Still, he has a great vibe and does play and sound more like Slash (which makes some people wet their pants), so in a different angle, he does fit in the band, of course. I'd rather have someone sounding like himself (even if it's far from Robin's style), but oh well...
Don't get me wrong, I like his playing style and all and I'm glad he's in the band now, his tone and playing really fits GnR nicely, but he ain't the 'best guitarist of the GnR's history' like some people said.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2009, 07:28:30 AM »

He's not as bad as you people are trying to say he is, either.
You can't write an entire post bitching about things that he fucked up only in your minds, and then go on to say "don't get me wrong, I do like his playing". You obviously don't. Either that or you're just trying to find anything to complain about.
Bruno Poeys
VIP

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2009, 07:31:32 AM »

We're not trying to say he's bad, we're saying that he in fact fucked some of his solos.

You can't write an entire post bitching about things that he fucked up only in your minds, and then go on to say "don't get me wrong, I do like his playing". You obviously don't. Either that or you're just trying to find anything to complain about.
Only in our minds? Roll Eyes So you are tone deaf or just don't want to hear it.

Koskenkorvasieni
Rocker

Guns N' Finland

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »

DJ butchered his November Rain solo? Okay,fine. Heres Robin's version and here's Ashba's version. Anyone who says Robin is better must be fucking tone deaf, but anyway, you be the judge...  Roll Eyes

So Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always thriumph, because good is dumb.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2009, 07:48:37 AM »

Well, he's probably not used to playing such a random, unmelodious solo. Hell, that thing is so random, it's hard to remember after even so many listens. The fact that a good guitarist like Ashba can't play Robin's solo as well as he does Slash's, IMO, says more about how poor the solo is than his skills.
So you think that Robin's solos are random and unmelodious. Whatever, Axl seems to be very happy with them and he even said how much he liked Robin's TWAT solo

I was talking about the TIL solo, not Robin's TWAT or anything else.

Great guitar solos are not ambiguous. You don't have half the people who listen to it say that it is crap. If you say that the solos in 'Hotel California', 'Sweet Child O' Mine' or 'Stairway To Heaven' are not good, you either don't know WTF you're are saying or you're biased. Everybody agrees those are exceptional solos.

TIL doesn't even come close.
Really? Funny, because to me TIL solo is at least as good - those solos are fucking overrated, just like the SCOM intro riff.

Don't let your lurve for Robin cloud your judgement. Those solos are overrated? Shows you don't know WTF you are talking about.

Oh and there are plenty of people that hate SCOM's solo and they do know a lot about music.

Oh? Who might those people be? You? I concede there might be plenty of people who don't like the SCOM solo but "Knowing a lot about music" doesn't form the basis for liking or disliking something.

Fuck 'Em All.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2009, 08:00:11 AM »

I don't think I've shown any bias towards Robin here. But I do agree that This I Love's solo is one of the most beautiful pieces of music in the history of beautiful music (and the highlight of one of the best songs in years). You seriously have to have no soul to not find it beautiful. And whereas I don't think Hotel California, Sweet Child O' Mine or Stairway To Heaven are overrated, it's pretty clear that not "everybody agrees those are exceptional solos". Because that would be impossible.
Bruno Poeys
VIP

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2009, 08:10:58 AM »

I concede there might be plenty of people who don't like the SCOM solo but "Knowing a lot about music" doesn't form the basis for liking or disliking something.
If you say that the solos in 'Hotel California', 'Sweet Child O' Mine' or 'Stairway To Heaven' are not good, you either don't know WTF you're are saying or you're biased.
You said that, not me.
So who doesn't like SCOM solo is biased and doesn't know what he's talking about. Shows how much you are biased and a fanboy.

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2009, 08:19:53 AM »

I never said I wasn't biased at all. I'm not a fan of Robin's playing, that's quite well known. Liking the TIL solo has nothing to do with being biased, if it were I wouldn't like any of his solos.

Fuck 'Em All.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2009, 08:49:44 AM »

He isn't as bad. He's not the second Jesus either and he's not fucking up "only in my mind". If you can't hear obvious fuck ups, then I'm done with you.

And yes, I'm not saying I dislike him. All I'm saying is that people who put Robin down because of fuck ups should just shut the fuck up because Ashba does the same thing, sometimes even worse.

DJ butchered his November Rain solo? Okay,fine. Heres Robin's version and here's Ashba's version. Anyone who says Robin is better must be fucking tone deaf, but anyway, you be the judge...  Roll Eyes
Lame to search for a bad performance to make a point.

I prefer Robin's take on November Rain, for sure. Like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htZaXpXmrR4

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2009, 09:19:59 AM »

not too professional with those fuck ups, huh?

Re-Union time, baby!!
Koskenkorvasieni
Rocker

Guns N' Finland

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2009, 09:24:57 AM »

Lame to search for a bad performance to make a point.

I prefer Robin's take on November Rain, for sure. Like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htZaXpXmrR4

To me that sounds maybe not as awful as the other version, but still awful compared to Slash's or Ashba's version. I did not hear anything wrong with Ashbas version except maybe one missed note, but still Ashba didn't make my ears bleed like Robin did. But you have a right to your opinion and I'm not gonna argue over matters of taste.

So Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always thriumph, because good is dumb.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2009, 11:17:50 AM »

The November Rain solos are not hard to play, but they to require the right feel and phrasing.  I think Fortus does good on his solo as does Bumble, but Voodoo is right, DJ has a couple of mishaps.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2009, 10:08:04 PM »

I would have liked to have seen Robin in the band again. I too prefer his style of playing. But in all fairness he was better in 2006/07 then he was in 2001/02. BBF sounds like he is playing better now then he was in 2006. So DJ deserves some time, I'm sure it ll seem he is playing better once the Canada shows come around.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2009, 01:46:26 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv1LCLKE6Qw&feature=related

imagine axl screaming on this song, would be so fucking heavy
Koskenkorvasieni
Rocker

Guns N' Finland

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2009, 01:01:11 AM »

I guess the thing with Robin can be compared to Metallica with Kirk Hammett and Dave Mustaine: I've heard some of the demos that Mustaine recorded with Metallica and after getting so used to Kirk's solos, Dave's solos sound so different from Hammett's that it makes it almost impossible to enjoy. On the other hand, Mustaine's Megadeth stuff is simply awesome. Same thing with Robin, a lot of us have gotten so used to Slash's solos, that when they're played so differently (so much worse) than on the albums, it ruins the entire feel of the song. SOD and TIL solos are awesome though and on the live version of November Rain, Robin plays are very beautiful backing guitar melody to the song, whereas the old lineup could really never get a good guitar melody going throughout the song live, as Axl's piano and Dizzy's keyboards pretty much dominated the soundscape, except for Slash's solos.

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »

Same thing with Robin, a lot of us have gotten so used to Slash's solos, that when they're played so differently (so much worse) than on the albums, it ruins the entire feel of the song.

Your opinion, the majority of the fans would disagree with you there.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »

Same thing with Robin, a lot of us have gotten so used to Slash's solos, that when they're played so differently (so much worse) than on the albums, it ruins the entire feel of the song.

Majority of fans on this site?  Yes.  Majority of fans that used to attend GNR shows, No. 
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2009, 01:06:31 PM »

Majority of fans on this site?  Yes.  Majority of fans that used to attend GNR shows, No. 

Fans that don't attend fans anymore aren't fans.

And there goes the challenger...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: