Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:03:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227899 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dizzy Reed appreciation thread
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dizzy Reed appreciation thread  (Read 7255 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 09:42:58 PM »

A song like 'Pretty Tied Up'?  I love the keyboards on that one.

Can really hear it in the intro from Rock In Rio II where its the show opener. 

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 01:37:30 AM »

Dizzy also co-wrote (musically) Oh My God with Paul.

People bitch about "GN'R shouldn't have piano" but piano in GN'R predates Dizzy. First GN'R song to have piano was One in a Million, keys played by a Mr. Howard Tenman (who also does percussion work on that album, covered for Steven live in 1988 when Steven's hand was shattered, and plays piano on "So Fine")
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 02:43:43 AM »

Dizzy also co-wrote (musically) Oh My God with Paul.

People bitch about "GN'R shouldn't have piano" but piano in GN'R predates Dizzy. First GN'R song to have piano was One in a Million, keys played by a Mr. Howard Tenman (who also does percussion work on that album, covered for Steven live in 1988 when Steven's hand was shattered, and plays piano on "So Fine")

Haha are you trying to reference Howard TEMAN??  hihi
Any card carrying GNR fan is aware of who Mr. H. Teman of Tman tats is.

Here he is playing on a suprise gig to benefit Reuben of Rock City News 1/10/88
https://youtu.be/hkmiXmM4I1s
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:08:12 AM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 06:37:39 AM »

Jarmo, have you ever seen Dizzy and Axl in a "piano battle"?  Would be really cool to see footage of the two of them dueling each other.  I got to think it's happened once or twice.

Not that I remember.

Dueling pianos?  Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
gnredwing
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 12:48:57 PM »

I think Dizzy brings nothing special to the band. Watching him bang the bongo drums during 90% of the live performance is a waste. If Dizzy left GnR I think it would be totally irrelevant. It seems like now Dizzy is just a kiss ass to Axl and will defend him no matter what.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 01:11:27 PM »

On other forums I see people hate on Dizzy and I've never understood why.

As someone who allegedly doesn't understand a lot, I'll try to offer an explanation even though I don't agree with it.

I suspect it has to do with the idea some fans have of GN'R. It was a band of five guys. No additional piano or keyboards.
Dizzy joins and that changed. Suddenly the band isn't the same as it was before, it doesn't equal the idea these fans have in their heads.

So instead of having five guys and a touring member who plays piano on tours, Dizzy is in the band. Unlike a band like the Rolling Stones for example.

Instead of being open minded and accepting it, they choose to hold a grudge, so to speak.

Also, I think some saw him as "Axl's guy". So that's obviously a bad thing....

And yes, he's a cool AND talented guy.

Like I said.... And then this:

I think Dizzy brings nothing special to the band. Watching him bang the bongo drums during 90% of the live performance is a waste. If Dizzy left GnR I think it would be totally irrelevant. It seems like now Dizzy is just a kiss ass to Axl and will defend him no matter what.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 02:13:50 PM »

Lots of the best GnR songs have keyboard or piano parts.   Street of Dreams, Estranged, Civil War, Madagascar, etc.   The list goes on.

So if you don't think Dizzy brings anything to the band, who do you think should play those parts?
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 06:02:08 PM »

I have no issue with Dizzys contribution to the music or the band. Hes been there a very long time and in my mind i treat him in the same vein as the classic band tbh.

I kinda think its cool Axl has someone that is so loyal to him through everything too, the dude seems like a pretty good guy from what ive read and watched so i dont really have an issue what so ever with him.

Far bigger issues in GNR then Dizzys worth IMO.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 06:09:22 PM »

Jarmo, have you ever seen Dizzy and Axl in a "piano battle"?  Would be really cool to see footage of the two of them dueling each other.  I got to think it's happened once or twice.

Not that I remember.

Dueling pianos?  Wink

/jarmo

Wasn't dueling Banjos the theme music for Deliverance?   nervous

Not sure I want to see GNR do dueling pianos.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 06:21:33 PM »

Yes it was. Exactly my point. Wink

/jarmo

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 09:21:19 PM »

Not that I remember.

Dueling pianos?  Wink

/jarmo

Wasn't dueling Banjos the theme music for Deliverance?   nervous

Not sure I want to see GNR do dueling pianos.

Umm....I was actually going for dueling pianos, as in a dueling piano bar.  Wasn't really going the Deliverance route.  no

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dueling_pianos

I just got to think that, at some rehearsal along the way, Dizzy and Axl were goofing around and went toe to toe on the piano.  Maybe it's part of the UYI tour tapes, maybe more recently.  Shit, they've been together 20+ years.  It's had to have happened.  It would be cool to see. 
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 10:21:40 PM »

DIZZY vs AXL

beer

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Annie
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 10:28:43 PM »

I met Dizzy at one of the meet and greets in Las Vegas. He was very nice. And he liked and noticed my Hello Axl tattoo. He is great musician as well.
19AT5
Opening Act

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 04:55:23 AM »

Dizzy comes across as a really nice guy and added some nice touches to the Illusion records as well as Chinese. Plus he's obviously been a good friend to Axl as well, which is cool. But let's be honest here (and this isn't a criticism of Dizzy as such), he was nothing more than a glorified sideman during the Illusion-era. I think he maybe played on half the songs on the record and during concerts spent most of his time banging on bongos that nobody could really hear! That said I like the percussion during the breakdown on Rocket Queen - it sounds cool. But could you really class him as a fully fledged member during this period?! I know he technically was, but you get my point (hopefully)... 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 07:18:27 AM »

Umm....I was actually going for dueling pianos, as in a dueling piano bar.  Wasn't really going the Deliverance route.  no

It was just a lighthearted joke.  Smiley

/jarmo

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: