Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 06:45:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Iron Maiden Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 116439 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2005, 04:32:06 PM »

Thanks for the infor dude ok I think we can all agree then that Bruce Dickinson is the Ultimate Iron Maiden frontman and he sings all the songs better than anyone else can through his great stage presence and vocal ability.  I'll be interested to see what the next album sounds, i hated the direction they took on the last but i've found that despite what people think they have a totally different range they don't all sound the same each album seems to have it's own uniqueness while still keeping the classic Maiden style.  I would love to see another one in a similar vein to Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son i love the story throughout that despite the praise The Number of The Beast gets i would say Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son is the definative Iron Maiden album.

I remember hearing that Dance of Death was just the leftovers from Brave New World thats why it wasnt so  good

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2005, 04:37:09 PM »

The Number of the Beast is probably the worst of Maiden's first 7 albums. Without Hallowed Be Thy Name on it, it would be a complete waste of an album.
Woah, slow down. I hate Gangland as much as the next man, but c'mon, it has Invaders, one of their best anthems ever in The Prisoner, and of course the two awesome crowd-pleasers Run To The Hills and Number Of The Beast, that everybody knows and loves. Then at the end Hallowed Be Thy Name, which is an absolute masterpiece.

I would say NOTB, Powerslave and Seventh Son are the three 'must-own' Maiden albums.
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, Brave New World & Number of The Beast would be my 3 choices for the essential ones, i don't mind Gangland but i am one of the few who hates Run To The Hills i feel it's one of those tracks like Fear of The Dark which is great live but the studio version somes pretty lame to me, same goes for Running Free. ?Fear of The Dark is the greatest example of that though, studio-wise i despise it but the live version is one of my fave songs of all time and one of those tracks i have slammed on numerous times when i am drunk...so atmespheric.

Just the leftovers from Brave New World you say Malcolm, still seems like they put a lot of effort into it some complex tracks they don't just seem like cast-offs they just don't work for me they seem crap but that's just cos i don't like the sound.? There is one stand-out track on that album Rainmaker, Wildest Dreams is quite good and the rest...well fuck them, i feel they were trying to be to epic and tried to hard they need to take a step back to go forward on their next album as far as i am concerned.
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2005, 04:52:25 PM »

I admit I haven't heard Brave New World, but for my money Dance of Death is a great album. I'd rank it up with Piece of Mind in that second tier of Maiden albums. I thought No More Lies was a Fear Of The Dark-style anthem for the crowds to chant, Rainmaker and Journeyman are epics, as is Paschendale, one of Maiden's best war songs. Wildest Dreams and Montsegur are just the rock-out with yer cock-out tracks every Maiden album needs, and the lyrics to Dance Of Death and Age Of Innoncence are mindblowing.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2005, 05:34:14 PM »

I admit I haven't heard Brave New World, but for my money Dance of Death is a great album. I'd rank it up with Piece of Mind in that second tier of Maiden albums. I thought No More Lies was a Fear Of The Dark-style anthem for the crowds to chant, Rainmaker and Journeyman are epics, as is Paschendale, one of Maiden's best war songs. Wildest Dreams and Montsegur are just the rock-out with yer cock-out tracks every Maiden album needs, and the lyrics to Dance Of Death and Age Of Innoncence are mindblowing.

I agree, I thought Dance Of Death was their best album since at least Fear Of The Dark.  I saw them live shortly after it came out and they played a bunch of songs of it.  They all sounded great and the crowd was really into them.  Actually this board is the only place I've heard any negative stuff about the album.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2005, 06:46:51 PM »

Just to clarify things.I didnt say i did not like Dance Of Death..I loved it..But i just thaught i heard somwhere it was the leftover from BNW

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2005, 07:27:11 PM »

Just to clarify things.I didnt say i did not like Dance Of Death..I loved it..But i just thaught i heard somwhere it was the leftover from BNW

No, Brave New World actually had a couple songs that were left over from the Blaze era.  Dance Of Death was all new stuff.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2005, 09:10:10 PM »

iron maiden is ok but their songs are too simple and too cheesy and bruce dickinson's vocals are no where near axl's. but then again, nobody's is.

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2005, 10:35:24 AM »

Well Im a big Iron Maiden fan but I had high hopes on Dance of Death and I don't think that DOD is better than BNW anyway I heard somewhere that DOD was going to be better that 7th son album which I think  no
Anyway I have DOD but I don't listen to it so often I still listen to 7th son and Brave New World  peace

No man can be my equal
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2005, 03:59:50 PM »

iron maiden is ok but their songs are too simple and too cheesy and bruce dickinson's vocals are no where near axl's. but then again, nobody's is.

Too simple?  They're one of the most musically talented and complex bands out there.  How are they simple.  Listen to The Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner and tell me that's simple.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
dustNroses
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2005, 03:42:36 AM »

Maiden fucking rules. I think they are one band that are consistantly awesome.
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2005, 07:32:15 PM »

Maiden fucking rules. I think they are one band that are consistantly awesome.

100% Agree

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2005, 07:55:50 PM »

iron maiden is ok but their songs are too simple and too cheesy

Simple? Cheesy?  I can?t believe it!

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
dustNroses
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2005, 11:45:10 PM »

Simple and cheesey?Huh Id like somebody to start a poll on people who like maiden who also like guns. That would be interesting.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2005, 12:25:38 PM »

Simple and cheesey?Huh Id like somebody to start a poll on people who like maiden who also like guns. That would be interesting.

I think that people will start a thread that guns is better or maiden is better stuff, even though both bandas are completly different, both bands are my all time faves just along with Queen and Helloween, but sometimes people can't difference between two differents class of music.  peace

No man can be my equal
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2005, 09:21:49 PM »

Either...

#1 You've only heard Run To The Hills, The Number Of The Beast, and The Trooper
#2 You're trolling

Bruce isn't as good as Axl, but Axl is far from being the greatest singer. Ever heard of Geoff Tate, Rob Halford, or dare I say Jim Gilette? Wink Axl has the trademark rasp, but he's technically mediocre, except maybe on The Blues. He has unrealized potential.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2005, 02:34:27 AM »

Tim "Ripper" Ownes of Iced Earth (formerly of Judas Priest) is in my opinion the greatest pure singer in rock/metal.  I saw Iced Earth last summer and I was totally speechless at his vocal ability.  Never seen anything like it live.  I like Axl's voice better, but Dickinson is also a better pure singer.  Watch that old concert footage from The Number Of The Beast Tour on the Early Days DVD.  Dickinson does stuff with his voice that Axl never could, and he makes it look totally effortless.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2005, 10:45:35 AM »

The other on Mtv news they had a headline reading something like "the original lineup performs together" or something.... I thought Bruce was out and Paul in, those Mtv guys don?t know their metal.

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2005, 12:42:00 PM »

Metal Edge magazine recently conducted an interview with IRON MAIDEN frontman Bruce Dickinson. An excerpt from the chat follows:

Metal Edge: In past discussions, you've expressed a strong distaste for "greatest hits" tours. Yet now you're doing another one on Ozzfest. Why do you have such an issue with them?

Bruce Dickinson: "'Greatest-hits' tours are very seductive things, but what annoys me is, when we do the 'hits' tour in Europe, it's got a different perception. When you do the 'hits' tour here [in the U.S.], the audience is smug, and there's a sense of self-satisfaction, like, 'We got what we wanted?' In Europe, there's a sense of celebration, an ecstasy that goes with it. If I'm looking at an audience that is self-satisfied and happy and fat, and getting what it wants and isn't prepared to get off its ass, what am I? A cabaret? Am I dancing bear that just performs in little circles and they clap? I cannot exist for longer than about five minutes like that. Every now and again I don't have any objections to it, but if it becomes a regular thing, that's not why I got involved. I got involved to become a creative artist. I know human nature, and I accept that people like to hear songs that they know, but not withstanding all that, seeing people who are spiritually dead, applauding not because you did a great version of a song, but only because they're familiar with it, is soul destroying. For all of us in MAIDEN, we put so much into the performance? We're actually better, and more effective, now, physically, than we were when we were 25. When we were 25, we were young, dumb and stupid, drunk all the time and hung over. We appreciate what we can and can't do now, and we feel like we owe it to ourselves to give people 100 percent of our heart and soul. When it's the audiences that are apparently just there for the ride, for a while it's disappointment, then it just turns to anger. Why are we doing this to ourselves when the people apparently don't care? They want to see some pastiche shit, and they don't seem to understand that this is our life!"

Metal Edge: That's America, though. This country doesn't want a challenge, they want to be spoon-fed.

Bruce Dickinson: "I understand that's America, but we don't have to tolerate it. It's not a question of being childish and trying to punish them, but if people don't understand what we really do, why do we beat ourselves up by coming here to do it, only to torture ourselves? Because you need the money? We are permanently astonished, in the band, by the different reactions throughout the country, and we can't make any sense of the whole pervasive influence of corporate U.S.A. When you can talk to kids, one on one, it's a completely different than when you get 6,000 of them together. I don't know how we're going to approach America in the future?"

Metal Edge: Does it bother you that people are so driven by the hits that they don't give new material a fair shot?

Bruce Dickinson: "We're very philosophical about it, because we're very aware? Going back to the earliest days of IRON MAIDEN, our first label said we'd never happen in the States, because we were too aggressive, and too out of left field. This was even before I was in the band. Then when we had 'Number of the Beast', people thought we'd convert to TWISTED SISTER and be a flavor of the month. In reality, though, we have more in common with the GRATEFUL DEAD ? that's more of who we are. A GRATEFUL DEAD now would be impossible in the United States. The closest you'll get is PEARL JAM, or maybe NEIL YOUNG. We're going to do what we do, which is what we have done. Europe, South America, they've embraced MAIDEN, and to a certain extent, it's unbelievable how the fifteen-, sixteen-year-old kids continue to embrace us there. Where in America we headline a 6,000-seat [venue], in Europe we'll headline a 50,000-seat stadium. For example, French Canada is such an amazing market for us, we deliberately go back there and return the favor. But if people think they just want to see a rock version of 'David Letterman', why should we go there? The money is irrelevant. We can make more money with a two-month hits tour in America than we can touring Japan and Europe. Yes, it's about making a living, but it's about making a living with dignity. Do we really need to go down on bended knee to people that don't care that much about the band? I hate Walmart, and I hate the corporatization of everything in America. I despise it. People need to have their minds made up for them, at this moment, and they need to liberate themselves from that. It drives me nuts? And it's not just America."

Bruce Dickinson's entire interview with Metal Edge is available in the magazine's September 2005 issue, out on the stands now

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2005, 01:52:41 PM »

Bruce Dickinson is one of the few musicians with integrity out there. Metal tends to have more of that than most genres. Smiley If they only play old songs, they're set to fade away, when the sheeple get tired of them. They have to make new music to keep people aware of them. I think people in poorer countries, like South and Central America, tend to enjoy music more anyway. Rock in Rio, anyone?

Of course, playing an old song in a new style can really be a cool experience.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2005, 08:12:45 PM »

LMAO!!!! He rocks, thats cool what he is saying lol thats funny.

html sucks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: