Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:31:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Cypriot airliner carrying 121 crashes near Athens
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cypriot airliner carrying 121 crashes near Athens  (Read 5338 times)
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« on: August 14, 2005, 07:29:00 AM »

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-08-14T112430Z_01_KWA433859_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-CRASH-GREECE-DC.XML

By Brian Williams
ATHENS (Reuters) - A Cypriot airliner carrying 121 people crashed north of Athens on Sunday after the pilot and a passenger reported cabin pressure problems moments before the plane was due to land.

"The pilot has turned blue," a passenger said in a mobile text message to his cousin, Greek television reported. "Cousin farewell, we're freezing," it said.

Greek TV station Alpha reported that the pilot had told air traffic controllers the plane was experiencing air conditioning problems. Moments later, communications with the plane were cut.

Greek police and firefighters at the crash site said there were no immediate signs of survivors. Plane wreckage was scattered widely about the mountainous, uninhabited area, about 40 km (25 miles) north of Athens.

"We have yet to locate any survivors. There is a small fire still burning, but it will be dealt with very quickly," a firefighter at the scene told Reuters.

Two Greek F-16 fighter jets were scrambled after the Helios Airways jet, en route from Larnaca in Cyprus to Prague via Athens, lost contact with the control tower at Athens international airport.

One of the F-16 pilots reported that he could not see the captain in the cockpit and his co-pilot appeared to be slumped in his seat, a Defense Ministry official told Reuters.

Greek police said there were no signs the plane had been hijacked.

LOST CONSCIOUSNESS

Cypriot airport officials said flight HCY522 left Larnaca at 9 a.m. and lost contact at 10:30 a.m. The pilot appeared to have lost consciousness due to a loss in cabin pressure in the cockpit, Larnaca airport officials said on Cyprus state television CYBC.

"I saw the plane coming. I knew it was serious or that it was some kind of VIP because I saw the two fighter jets," said witness Dimitris Karezas, who owns a summer camp in the area.? ?

"Two, three minutes later I heard a big bang," he said.

A Greek police spokesman said there had been 115 passengers and six crew members on board, of which 59 and eight children were heading to Athens, with 48 continuing on to Prague.

A spokeswoman for the Czech Airport Authority, Anna Kovarikova, said the flight had been due to land in Prague at 1. 10 a.m. (1110 GMT).

As the extent of the disaster became clear, Greek Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis broke off his holiday on the Greek island of Tinos to rush back to Athens.

Cypriot President Tassos Papadopoulos was heading to Larnaca, where frantic relatives and friends began gathering outside the offices of Helios.

At the airport in Prague, where friends and relatives were gathering to meet the flight, screens showing departures and arrivals read simply "delayed."

Helios, Cyprus's first private carrier, established in 1999, flies to Dublin, Sofia, Warsaw, Prague, Strasbourg and several British airports using a fleet of Boeing B737 aircraft.

(Additional reporting by Karolos Grohmann in Athens, Jean Christou in Nicosia and Alan Crosby in Prague)

R.I.P to all the persons aboard... Sad

Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 07:57:25 AM »

yeah read that

i could so see the f-16 pilot looking at the cockpit .... i know the story is sad .... but it hink f-16 are beautiful .... and the fact that a pilot can look out the window to see the empty cockpit .... that's cool.

sad story anyway. 

Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 01:00:18 PM »

It's my idea a lot of airplanes are going down?? Yesterady In Venezuela there was also a crash and not long time ago I think it was in Canada right, so I think is kinda freaky  nervous

No man can be my equal
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 03:16:42 PM »

It's my idea a lot of airplanes are going down?? Yesterady In Venezuela there was also a crash and not long time ago I think it was in Canada right, so I think is kinda freaky  nervous

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=22113.0
Wink

Dust N Rose
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 03:03:14 PM »

It seems that months August and September are full of such accidents since people are not carefull enough when they're used to relaxement (due to the vacation period).
This incident took place in my country and the medias covered it a lot these days. The company was a cheap one. It was reported some problems in older flights as well but I guess they didn't give much attention. I think the pilot made some mistakes as well.
What else can I say, it's sad. We should take care, if you pay too little, you get what you paid for, and I don't think that Cyrpiots have a low income so they couldn't afford money.
MCT
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 03:25:32 PM »

Look, if human beings were meant to fly, God would have given us antigrav!

But oh no, we never got anything like that! All we friggin' got off the prick was free will, and that movie SUCKED ASS, BLEW GOATS and just generally WASN'T VERY GOOD; even though it made me cry; several times; last night.

<singing>

Hold me
Like the river Jordan...
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 04:13:36 PM »

But oh no, we never got anything like that! All we friggin' got off the prick was free will, and that movie SUCKED ASS, BLEW GOATS and just generally WASN'T VERY GOOD; even though it made me cry; several times; last night.
What?

Fuck 'Em All.
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 04:25:55 PM »

Where does Christos live?
Anyone heard from him?

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 04:29:29 PM »

It seems that months August and September are full of such accidents since people are not carefull enough when they're used to relaxement (due to the vacation period).
This incident took place in my country and the medias covered it a lot these days. The company was a cheap one. It was reported some problems in older flights as well but I guess they didn't give much attention.

I had never heard of Helios before this accident. Why should they? It has all been reported now. Where were all these people that report these shitty stories now?

I think the pilot made some mistakes as well.

We don't know anything about this yet.

What else can I say, it's sad. We should take care, if you pay too little, you get what you paid for, and I don't think that Cyrpiots have a low income so they couldn't afford money.

It is naive to make such generalisations and comments.

There are rich Greeks and poor Greeks. There are rich Americans and poor Americans. There are rich Cypriots and poor Cypriots.

So, should all the people that fly Easyjet die just because they paid less money than the ones who flew with Olympic Airways or Virgin Atlantic?

How many accidents have you heard concerning Easyjet? It's not about cheap companies. It's about greedy people. These companies that have had accidents, had people with no mind in key positions. You can't cut expenses off the service costs, this is what happens. They are simply irresponsible.

Helios was a fucked up company, they only had 4 planes and they had constant problems. People don't search about a plane's history when they get cheaper tickets. They're just trying to get through life and save as much money for the future cause they have children.

10 families were in that plane. Do you think these children's parents wanted them to die? Do you think that's why the got cheaper tickets? No. They were just trying to save some money, so they could give them a better future.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 04:31:07 PM by Christos AG » Logged

R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 04:32:18 PM »

Thank fuck for that.
I know this happened a few days ago but his absence from the thread scared me a little.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 04:32:59 PM »

Where does Christos live?
Anyone heard from him?

Don't worry you little punk, I'm here to spank your little English ass...? smoking

R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 04:57:36 PM »

Don't worry you little punk, I'm here to spank your little English ass...? smoking

Oh good, email me for our next secret liaison!  Kiss
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 05:17:10 PM »

Oh good, email me for our next secret liaison!? Kiss

Can't do that.

I'm still washing up from our last time...  Tongue

Dust N Rose
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 05:19:15 PM »

I think the cost of living in Cyprus is far better than the Greek one and I don't think someone should risk his life to save money. Perhaps they couldn't afford, who knows? Too late now.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 05:21:00 PM »

Don't worry you little punk, I'm here to spank your little English ass...  smoking

Oh good, email me for our next secret liaison!  Kiss

Can't do that.

I'm still washing up from our last time... Tongue

When are you guys gonna start inviting others to join in on the fun instead of being so secretive about it? ?Cry
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 05:24:36 PM by the dirt » Logged

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2005, 05:26:24 PM »

I think the cost of living in Cyprus is far better than the Greek one and I don't think someone should risk his life to save money. Perhaps they couldn't afford, who knows? Too late now.

You probably haven't given enough attention to my post. Please read it again and you'll find the answer to this post.

Dust N Rose
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2005, 05:40:36 PM »

I think the pilot made some mistakes as well.

We don't know anything about this yet.

Yap, that's why I say I think instead of talking certain.

So, should all the people that fly Easyjet die just because they paid less money than the ones who flew with Olympic Airways or Virgin Atlantic?

Of course not.
Paying less money doesn't mean you have to die but it means you get less quality in your flight and you put yourself in danger. I don't blame the people, it's just a finding.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2005, 06:07:26 PM »

Of course not.
Paying less money doesn't mean you have to die but it means you get less quality in your flight and you put yourself in danger. I don't blame the people, it's just a finding.

Exactly, less quality not less safety.

The fact that I won't get to eat or drink for 3 hours doesn't mean that my safety is being compromised.

People think "why should I pay all this extra money for some shitty food and some orange juice or a coke. I'll get them myself."

That's what you pay less for. Not to get yourself killed...

Dust N Rose
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2005, 06:16:09 PM »

True.
It's the damn companies that don't respect it...
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2005, 06:21:42 PM »

True.
It's the damn companies that don't respect it...

That was my point.

We shouldn't generalize cheap air companies. Just because some irresponsible people still work at some, doesn't mean that they're all bad.

Take for example Easyjet, Ryanair etc...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: