Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Potentially habitable planet found
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Potentially habitable planet found  (Read 12488 times)
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2007, 11:28:38 PM »

hey nice find Axlfreek ok where'd ya get it?

www.unexplained-mysteries.com

its on the main page.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2007, 12:20:39 PM »

You're failing to see the bigger picture and prattling on about practicality here and impracticality there and whatnot, and it's hardly lending credibility to your line of thinking.
For one thing, the probability of extraterrestrial life is fascinating. And to confirm it would put Humanity in perspective in relation to the Universe. Cherished notions would crumble, religious and societal institutions of all sorts would scramble to adapt, new ones would crop up, governments would react,etc etc etc

It is utterly heartbreaking you regard my line of thinking ever so lacking in credibility.

Also, it is interesting you manage to dismiss my line of thinking lacking in credibility as a whole and hop into  few paragraphs of new age filosofy of how mankind responds to alien life in very same post.
Not that there was anything wrong with that, as Seinfeld could tell you. It's just that hop from knowing there is a planet we know next to nothing about some 20 light years away to spreading red carpent to our ameba/furry/humanoid  neighbours is pretty huge one.

Again, as it is now we can't "see" the planet at all. When we manage to bring to the table some  info about it's atmosphere, what it is made of, conditions in there in general..then it is time to get exited or disappointed. And again I am sure when that happens we have a good selection of more interesting/equally interesting things to look at in the sky.
As it is now we are far away from being able to rule out there isn't life in our very own solar system. Searching for it some 20 light years away makes nice food for thought and is great for imagination and all that but..we have no means to really do so yet.

The TPF  sounds like an interesting idea. Based  on the site you linked though, it looks like yet another  exiting concept by nasa that is miles away from being anywhere but at the very beginning of it's development and has ridiculously optimistic ETA dates slapped all over it.The site itself hasn't been updated in 3 years.
Obviously It will be very exiting to see what it is capable of doing/finding if/when it gets finished.

It does little to my main argument though.As long as we know nothing about this planet and are unable to actually look at it, it just isn't  a big enough turn on. The mere fact that hay it exists isn't a huge deal. Well it is fun to know for sure. But do understand that it doesn't spark a religious crisis and journey to my within just yet. The fact it was discovered so soon (alongide with another small distant planet at some point last year was it?)after we began using the um " double star light based detection method" would suggest that it is not very uncommon sight to have planets ize of earth  that close to a star. As do statitics as a whole.
Just give it some time, they'll keep popping up.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 01:31:38 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2007, 02:13:25 PM »

why would it cause a "religious crisis"?

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2007, 04:23:01 PM »

Because a lot of people are small minded?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2007, 08:24:13 PM »

Didn't God create aliens also?  Huh

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2007, 10:53:04 PM »

Because a lot of people are small minded?

true, but still i don't get it Undecided

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Tatu
Rocker

God

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2007, 10:55:37 PM »

"I saw it first" will say Bush.

You really know who's Maradona!
WhiteRose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2007, 11:24:56 PM »

Didn't God create aliens also?? Huh

That has got to be one of the most beautiful posts I've ever seen here... and what a delightful question too.? Smiley

Cheers,
W.R.
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2007, 11:27:34 PM »

That has got to be one of the most beautiful posts I've ever seen here... and what a delightful question too.? Smiley

Cheers,
W.R.

i'm gonna ASSuME something*

was that a seriouse question or a smartass remark bashing religion?

i'm not gonna preach to you if it is........just asking...........

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
WhiteRose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2007, 08:17:48 PM »

i'm gonna ASSuME something*

was that a seriouse question or a smartass remark bashing religion?

i'm not gonna preach to you if it is........just asking...........

I'm not sure as to the intensions of the question that 'GnRFL' asked (perhaps they'll provide some clarification) but I think it's a fascinating question none-the-less.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2007, 08:40:14 PM »

I think God and religion are two different things. Religion has given God a bad name in many cases.

I do believe there is a God, but is God what religion would lead us to believe he is? ( this could have an entirely new thread devoted to it)

So I guess I ment the question to cut both ways.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2007, 10:14:07 PM »

I do believe there is a God, but is God what religion would lead us to believe he is? ( this could have an entirely new thread devoted to it)

A better question might be "Is religion what God would want it to be?"

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2007, 10:52:03 PM »

i wonder how many ufo sightings there have been compared to "Axl" sightings between 1994 and 2001 ?

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2007, 11:30:05 PM »

A better question might be "Is religion what God would want it to be?"

thats actually a good question really.

cause with all the bombing and shit like that, if you ask me the muslims are the most fucked up of all. I think they believe that "if your not a muslim or if you don't agree with there faith then you must die" or something like that.

I'm no where nere an extreme anything i'm a Lutheran actually which is just this side of Catholic.

any way back on topic now, anything new about this planet? does NASA or ESA have a website where you can look at things like these?
peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
MCT
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2007, 08:26:41 PM »

It is utterly heartbreaking you regard my line of thinking ever so lacking in credibility.

What's really heartbreaking is that you quoted but a fraction of my post and freely stuck undue ideas in between my lines.

Look, I threw a few cents into the mix and I made a point or three. And contrary to what you think, I didn't conform to any standardized box. So lay off with the filosofy and the like. And go read more. Your argument needs it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: