Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:35:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227924 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 187901 times)
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »

Torry Holt was released by the Rams today. Had a bad year on a horrible team last year after 8 straight 1,000 yard seasons. He's only 32 and I think he still has a couple good years left. Interesting to see where he goes because I still think he is a great wide reciever.  smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2009, 07:46:40 PM »

Torry Holt was released by the Rams today. Had a bad year on a horrible team last year after 8 straight 1,000 yard seasons. He's only 32 and I think he still has a couple good years left. Interesting to see where he goes because I still think he is a great wide reciever.  smoking

Re-unite him with Kurt Warner maybe?

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2009, 05:15:30 PM »

I love Holt...the Torry Holt of old.  Now, it's just old Torry Holt.  He's not worth the amount of money he's got on his contract right now.  If you saw any of the Rams games last season, he wasn't really separating from defenders off the line or deep.  I think he's an average #2 receiver and good #3 guy...who's going to want #1 receiver money.

I heard things fell through with him and the Titans because he wouldn't re-structure his contract or something. 

I also heard the Giants are not interested in Holt...or Boldin!  The G-Men not being interested in Boldin surprised me.

Get Boldin to Minnesota pronto!!!

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 01:45:11 AM »

I also heard the Giants are not interested in Holt...or Boldin!  The G-Men not being interested in Boldin surprised me.

I'm still holding out hope that the Eagles make a big trade for Boldin. The Eagles have stockpiled a shitload of picks in this year's draft, way more than they need. They're also in a great situation as far as salary cap goes. They have two first-round draft picks to work with. DeSean Jackson and Kevin Curtis are small, speedy WRs. The team needs a big, physical WR like Boldin. I'm pretty optimistic that it may happen. Plus I'm sure that McNabb is lobbying for Boldin behind the scenes. Bringing in Boldin, a legit #1 WR, would finally get everyone in Philly to stop whining about the team not re-signing Dawkins.

Here Today . . .
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2009, 10:44:29 AM »

I'm still holding out hope that the Eagles make a big trade for Boldin. The Eagles have stockpiled a shitload of picks in this year's draft, way more than they need. They're also in a great situation as far as salary cap goes. They have two first-round draft picks to work with. DeSean Jackson and Kevin Curtis are small, speedy WRs. The team needs a big, physical WR like Boldin. I'm pretty optimistic that it may happen. Plus I'm sure that McNabb is lobbying for Boldin behind the scenes. Bringing in Boldin, a legit #1 WR, would finally get everyone in Philly to stop whining about the team not re-signing Dawkins.

Mark my words, if Philly gets Boldin...they'll be representing the NFC in the Super Bowl.  As quality a guy Dawkins was in the locker room, Sean Jones is an upgrade.  Younger, fresher legs.

That said, let Minnesota get Boldin!   Smiley

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »

Pats talking to Panthers on deal for Peppers.  This would be the missing piece of that Cassel deal that everyone seemed to be up in arms over.  It isn't close to being done yet, but it does appear to be in the works.

NFL.com's Vic Carucci reports that the Patriots are "likely" to execute a trade for Panthers franchise player Julius Peppers.

New England reportedly plans to deal the No. 34 overall pick -- acquired for Matt Cassel -- for Peppers. Peppers would play opposite OLB Adalius Thomas, giving them an imposing edge presence. A contract would appear to be the significant hurdle left. The two sides should talk at the upcoming owner's meetings, but the NFL Draft would be the true deadline for a deal. Mar. 16 - 3:42 pm et
Source: NFL.com

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2009, 10:55:30 PM »

How the hell is Julius Peppers being traded for a 2nd round draft pick?Huh

Is he being paid too much or something???  This just looks completely insane at first glance.  Faldor, if it happens, I'm happy as hell for ya, but please explain how this can happen.  Does Belichik have secret video of the Panthers owner fucking a donkey?  Jesus Christ...please explain.  confused

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2009, 11:34:13 PM »

Is he being paid too much or something???  This just looks completely insane at first glance.  Faldor, if it happens, I'm happy as hell for ya, but please explain how this can happen.  Does Belichik have secret video of the Panthers owner fucking a donkey?  Jesus Christ...please explain.  confused
Well there are other reports saying it could be more than just that one second round pick, but he is due to make a lot if Carolina keeps him franchised. 

I think all of Belichick's secret videos have been destroyed.   Wink

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2009, 03:01:09 AM »

It has to do with a few things. Peppers doesn't want to play for Carolina and has thus far refused to sign the 1-year franchise deal. Carolina still has to count the money against its cap and needs to get him signed long-term or trade him to make cap room. Signing him long-term at this point doesn't seem to be an option as Peppers is adamant about his desire to play elsewhere. Its possible a high first round draft pick could get peppers but I doubt Carolina wants a mid to low first rounder for him. The financial risk of drafting a player that early isn't worth it for a team that just went 12-4 and is looking to keep it going when they don't have huge wholes to fill like the Patriots did last year at linebacker. Trade bait for a pick that low is never high anymore. A low second round/high first rounder makes the most sense. You can get a quality player, get rid of a player that has desire to play somewhere else and not take a significant financial risk.

The downside for the patriots is how are they going to be able to sign wilfork long term. Hes going to demand a huge contract and Peppers will eat up a sizable portion of cap space. With the signing of peppers, if it happens, even though he will play linebacker most likely it almost assures that Richard Seymour is gone because the Patriots will not be able to afford the contract he'll want. Though that's probably going to happen anyway. The way I see it is the Patriots are trying to find a way to get a quality player like Peppers and re-sign Wilfork while letting Seymour go after this year since its the last year of both of their contracts. How their going to be able to do it is the question.

This is nowhere near a done deal. But I hope they get Peppers. With the signing of Springs, Bodden, Taylor, Galloway, Baker and Peppers it looks like the Patriots are getting some really good free agents. If they get peppers it would seem to me the priority with the first round pick falls on drafting Seymour's replacement or by what I would call sheer stupidity, but in bill I trust but still would feel like stupidity, drafting Wilfork's replacement.  smoking
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:04:10 AM by High_times » Logged

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2009, 05:39:27 PM »

Thanks guys.  Good explanation...but I still can't see it happening.  If I'm not mistaken, Jared Allen was had for a 1st round, and 2 3rd rounders...and he's been worth every pick and then some for my Vikes.

2nd question, can someone explain how or why Donte "I'm always injured" Stallworth got a 5 year $35 mill. contract from the Browns?  I know he showed flashes of brilliance, but the guy is always fucking hurt...and now he killed a man.  Toxicology report is pending, could take up to a week to get that back. 

...and how 'bout Cutler?  What do ya'll think Denver would ask for?  My Vikings do need a quarterback.  I'd take him in a heartbeat even though I think he's crazy for wanting out of Denver.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2009, 07:09:51 PM »

...and how 'bout Cutler?  What do ya'll think Denver would ask for?  My Vikings do need a quarterback.  I'd take him in a heartbeat even though I think he's crazy for wanting out of Denver.

As for Cutler staying in Denver, I can see how it probably comes across that the head coach doesn't want Cutler as his starting quarterback and I wouldn't want to be on a team where the head coach his shopping me around already before he's coached a game much less held a practice. I haven't bought in to all the fuss about Cutler and his potential but I still think it's a pretty dirty move on the head coach's behalf. Although I will say this as well, I would have loved to have seen the Broncos get Cassel and he be the starting quarterback when the season opens.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2009, 11:16:19 PM »

Cutler's a little b'yatch!  He's a cry baby.  The right thing to do would be to suck it up and move on, like many others have done.  What has he really accomplished so far for him to be making such a fuss about being on the trading block?  I mean, it does appear he has the goods to be a great QB but he's not there yet.  He hasn't paid his dues.  He can't take criticism, gets all hot and bothered by Phillip Rivers.  He's got to grow up, bottom line.

Rage in the Cage
Headliner

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2009, 11:30:24 PM »

Cutler wanted out of Denver before the botched Cassel deal even happened. All because the Broncos let Jim Bates go. Jays a great quarterback but hes gonna have to grow thicker skin if he wants to be respected in this league.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2009, 12:18:16 AM »

Its official, Denver are shopping Cutler

Minnesota should do a Ricky Williams type deal to get Cutler. All they need is a QB. I'd trade a 1,2,3 and a 3 next year.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2009, 03:21:15 AM »

If i'm denver I'm on the phone with the Browns immediatly and I take Brady Quinn and a lower draft pick(s) for Cutler.

Gets you a decent prospect at quarterback from a College program that ran a New England type spread offense. He ran it in College with Weis. Yeah its different but Josh McDaniels was QB coach when Weis was in New England and so at least Quinn may have some familiarity going in. Weis was pretty high on Quinn and I could see it being a good fit.

Its also low risk because Quinn comes with a decent contract so you don't have to worry about shelling cash on sanchez or stafford in the draft, like some analysts have stated denver might do, and it gets the QB replacement immediatly.

The Browns have expressed insterest. So I say ship Cutler there for Brady Quinn and a pick(s). I don't like Cutler and think Quinn could still prove to be something in the NFL.  smoking

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2009, 02:43:55 PM »

If i'm denver I'm on the phone with the Browns immediatly and I take Brady Quinn and a lower draft pick(s) for Cutler.

Gets you a decent prospect at quarterback from a College program that ran a New England type spread offense. He ran it in College with Weis. Yeah its different but Josh McDaniels was QB coach when Weis was in New England and so at least Quinn may have some familiarity going in. Weis was pretty high on Quinn and I could see it being a good fit.

Its also low risk because Quinn comes with a decent contract so you don't have to worry about shelling cash on sanchez or stafford in the draft, like some analysts have stated denver might do, and it gets the QB replacement immediatly.

The Browns have expressed insterest. So I say ship Cutler there for Brady Quinn and a pick(s). I don't like Cutler and think Quinn could still prove to be something in the NFL.  smoking

if I were Denver, I would trade it to Detroit for the number 20th pick and the first pick in the 2nd round, Sign Jeff Garcia and retool my Defense with those two picks and then with  their 12th pick, they probably would be able to get Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez.Stafford could really drop if Det don't take him

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2009, 08:08:21 PM »

if I were Denver, I would trade it to Detroit for the number 20th pick and the first pick in the 2nd round, Sign Jeff Garcia and retool my Defense with those two picks and then with  their 12th pick, they probably would be able to get Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez.Stafford could really drop if Det don't take him

Now I know historically Detroit has been rather stupid...but they aren't that stupid.  There's an article over at Yahoo right now talking about the huge importance of picks 20-50.  Overall #1 draft picks are extremely expensive and don't always pan out.  Is there really a clear-cut #1 pick this year?  I don't think there's a consensus out there.  One writer advocated the Lions let the clock run out.  Apparently, that would allow them to make their pick several picks later when the price isn't so costly.  Now we all know that isn't going to happen...but if another team got a boner for a top pick, if I was Detroit, I'd trade #1 overall in a heartbeat. 

Now how do I see it going down?  Millen-Free Detroit wisens up and selects a stud O-lineman with the 1st overall pick...Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe. 

I love the NFL Draft!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Cutler will be good no matter where he goes...but...a 1, 2, 3 and another 3???  He's not worth that.  Minnesota needs a good o-lineman with their 1st round pick, and help in the secondary in the 2nd and 3rd.  I saw a mock draft that had us taking Percy Harvin WR in the 1st round, I'm not sold on him though.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »

Denver wouldn't want the first overall pick though because they aren't going to want to pay 30 million guaranteed.

Axl4prez Think about this for a second:

The Arizona Cardinals were this close to winning the superbowl. The Arizona Cardinals!

Minnesota with a QB are a superbowl team, without a QB they are forever going to be 10-6

Who do Minnesota need really? Great Run Defense, great O line, Great RB's. WR's kind of suck but that could be due to the shitty QB also.

U give up your 3 first day picks, which is steep, but Cutler and AD on the same team........... that is scary.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2009, 10:05:05 PM »

Denver wouldn't want the first overall pick though because they aren't going to want to pay 30 million guaranteed.

Axl4prez Think about this for a second:

The Arizona Cardinals were this close to winning the superbowl. The Arizona Cardinals!

Minnesota with a QB are a superbowl team, without a QB they are forever going to be 10-6

Who do Minnesota need really? Great Run Defense, great O line, Great RB's. WR's kind of suck but that could be due to the shitty QB also.

U give up your 3 first day picks, which is steep, but Cutler and AD on the same team........... that is scary.

D, I'm glad you're not running the Vikes!  hihi  Seriously, our secondary is in shambles.  Yeah, we can stop the run, and Jared Allen is an awesome pass-rusher...and I'd love to have a real qb...but we also need a solid o-lineman on the right side.  We can't stop the pass.  That said, it comes down to best player available at the time they pick.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2009, 11:02:28 PM »

As the only resident TO supporter, I am gonna defend this guy one last time and hopefully change some of your minds.

Philly aside, which in my opinion was DONOVAN MCNABB's fault.

I know that is hard for most of u to even entertain but it was.

McNabb's jealousy drove the initial wedge into that relationship. I'll never forget clear as day when TO got injured and McNabb said how they didn't need him to win.

U just don't say that about ANY teammate, let a lone someone like TO. So for me, McNabb started that feud.

Now, Fast Forward to Dallas.  The only thing about TO is, he is honest to a fault. Dallas being my favorite team, I pay very very close attention to everything.

TO absolutely does not care as long the team is winning. However, when he isn't involved in the offense and we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs, he bitches and rightfully so.

Romo does suck, so TO I think was polite when he spoke of his and Witten's relationship. U see great QB's when their WR is in man to man, they throw up the ball and let their receiver make the play. Romo didn't have the confidence to let TO make the plays.

Jason Garrett's offense SUCKS. So what is TO doing wrong criticizing Garrett? I mean he is 100 percent correct.

TO works hard, practices hard, plays the games hard.   If he is too honest off the field, who cares cause he normally is right about most stuff.

I actually agree with a lot of this.  I have used the whole "honest to a fault" thing on other boards before myself, but it doesn't matter.  It seems like wherever he goes, his reputation proceeds him, so it wouln't really matter what he did.  He's gonna be the bad guy.

That being said, all of the things that I can be used to defend T.O. can also be used against him.  It is his nature to bring an uproar with him, and that is obviously not what we need.  It's done now, so I just hope we can get something going for next year.  I'm ready for another Cowboys Superbowl appearance.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: