Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 12:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227926 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 187908 times)
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2009, 06:37:58 AM »

If I was a Broncos fan I would hate this young punk of a coach for coming in and trading away the franchise QB of my team. Cutler has an amazing arm on him. He's still very young. Once he matures mentally and improves his decision-making, he could be one of the best QBs in the NFL. You don't get rid of a guy who has that kind of potential, especially when you also have a great up-and-coming WR like Brandon Marshall. Denver already had a good offense. They just needed to upgrade their defense and get a capable RB. Instead they're blowing the whole thing up.

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2009, 07:41:38 AM »

Cutler is soft and thinks he's better than he is.  He's ran himself out of town, much moreso than McDaniels.  He could've easily sucked it up and come back to try to prove he's the guy.  All would've been forgotten.  He's acting like he's the first guy ever to hear his name in trade rumors.  If I were a Bronco fan I'd be kicking his soft punk ass out the door.  I have ZERO respect for the guy.  He couldn't have handled this situation any worse. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »

Well, Cutler's a Bear now!  Ha!  Motherfucker will have jack-shit to work with at wideout.  I'll enjoy watching Orton put up bigger #'s with Marshall and Royal this season.  Cutler you stupid motherfucker!  Ha!  Thanks for dealing away 2 #1's.  My Vikes will benefit greatly as the Bears just set their team back about 5 years.

What was Chicago thinking???

Denver robbed Chicago.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2009, 04:29:20 AM »

Well, Cutler's a Bear now!  Ha!  Motherfucker will have jack-shit to work with at wideout.  I'll enjoy watching Orton put up bigger #'s with Marshall and Royal this season.  Cutler you stupid motherfucker!  Ha!  Thanks for dealing away 2 #1's.  My Vikes will benefit greatly as the Bears just set their team back about 5 years.

Denver robbed Chicago.

I disagree. I think it's the Broncos that have set themselves back. Sure, they can use the extra draft picks to rebuild their defense, but now it'll be their QB who's holding them back. Orton actually won more games than Cutler, I believe, but Orton had a better defense and running game, whereas Cutler had to go out and outscore every opponent. It was Orton's job just not to lose games.

Denver is going to be pretty bad this season, I think. I can't think of a single WR on the Bears off the top of my head, which is a bad sign for Cutler . . . but he is definitely a big upgrade over Orton.

What annoys me is that this McDaniels guy is so cocky and thinks that he can come in and win with just anybody. I say he's fired within the next three years.

Denver would be better off going out and signing Jeff Garcia. He's better than every other QB they've got on their roster. Hell, even Byron Leftwich would probably be an upgrade.

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »

Denver robbed Chicago.

I disagree. I think it's the Broncos that have set themselves back. Sure, they can use the extra draft picks to rebuild their defense, but now it'll be their QB who's holding them back. Orton actually won more games than Cutler, I believe, but Orton had a better defense and running game, whereas Cutler had to go out and outscore every opponent. It was Orton's job just not to lose games.

Denver is going to be pretty bad this season, I think. I can't think of a single WR on the Bears off the top of my head, which is a bad sign for Cutler . . . but he is definitely a big upgrade over Orton.

What annoys me is that this McDaniels guy is so cocky and thinks that he can come in and win with just anybody. I say he's fired within the next three years.

Denver would be better off going out and signing Jeff Garcia. He's better than every other QB they've got on their roster. Hell, even Byron Leftwich would probably be an upgrade.
I'm not convinced that Denver is settled on Orton as their starting QB.  I'd expect them to try and upgrade.  He's a fine backup and a capable starter but I agree, he's a step down from Cutler.  They got a great deal for him though.  They need a lot of help and will change the outlook of their team.  Cutler had a solid season last year but he faded fast down the stretch and so did the team.  It's not like they were building a dynasty behind him, I certainly didn't see one coming, so I don't think they'll be that bad off.  They very well may be better off down the road, perhaps even next year.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2009, 09:53:02 AM »

I don't really think it was a great deal for either team, really. Yeah, Denver needs to improve a lot of positions, so the extra draft picks will help a lot. Although for every draft pick that turns out well, it seems like there's many more than turn out to be busts, so who knows if they'll really upgrade their team or not. No matter what, I don't see their defense being much better this season than it was last year. They have a bunch of backup RBs but no true starter. The only way they could win last year was to outscore their opponents through the air, and Cutler was capable of that. Orton can be a good game-manager, but he needs a running game and a good defense to win games, which Denver is sorely lacking.

I agree that Cutler is immature and acted like a child during this whole thing, but still, he has a lot of talent, and he's only 25. But he has nobody to throw to in Chicago. Plus Chicago's defense is on the decline and they need help on their offensive line. They do have a very good all-around RB in Matt Forte, but I don't see Cutler meshing with Chicago's style of play.

I think he would've been better suited going to the Browns or the Jets.

It'll be interesting to see where the Bears and Broncos are in two to three years. I kinda see them both floundering in mediocrity, although I think the Bears have a much better chance of turning things around.

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2009, 10:24:29 AM »

Well I think Denver was forced into trading him, whether you blame Cutler, McDaniels, or more likely both.  He had to be traded, so in that sense, they got a great deal for him.  Usually when teams know you're desperate to get rid of a guy they won't give you as much in return, but that wasn't the case here.  A 1st and 3rd this year and a 1st next year is a great package for the Broncos considering the situation they were in.  McDaniels has sure made his mark without ever coaching a game in his career.  I can't ever remember a coach getting off to such a controversial start, aside from George O'Leary when he lied on his resume before being named ND head coach.  Josh certainly isn't going into next season quietly, the spotlight will be even brighter now.

Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2009, 02:50:54 PM »

For Jay Cutler the Bears paid 2 first round picks, a third round pick, and Kyle Ortan. Cutler would have to play to Brady's level to be worth that much. There is no way that will ever happen. The Bears paid way to much for a QB who is way over-rated.

I don't like Cutler. I didnt like him in college. I didnt think he deserved to be drafted that low. And he hasnt proven to be anything besides a guy with a good arm who loves himself. He compares himself to John Elway. His demeanor on the field is horrible for a starting QB. He looks like Jeff George out there when anything goes wrong. Whining and crying to anyone who will listen. He put his team members under the bus when the Broncos did bad and took full credit when the Broncos did great. I think he was gone the second Shanahan and than his assistants were let go. Cutler pubicly stated getting rid of Shanahan was a bad idea. He than almost demanded they keep Shanahan's offensive assistants. And when they didnt he made it pubicly clear he wasn't happy.

I bet Josh met with Cutler. Cutler expressed wanting to do things differently than Josh wanted to, similar to what he was doing. Josh relizing this guy could be a problem attempted to get Cassell last minute. That didnt work out so he said O.K this guy will be my QB. But cutler was already pissed so he became a little bitch to get out of Denver.

Now he says, I never wanted to leave. Bull-shit. If you never wanted to leave you would have shown up to the start of off-season workouts.

In the end, once the dust settles, everyone will look back on this trade a couple years from now and call it one of the dumbest moves in franchise history. What were the Bear's thinking? Stupid move. smoking

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:54:02 PM by High_times » Logged

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2009, 04:04:18 PM »

N.Y. Giants release dumbass Burress! It's about time! Hopefully his next stop will be prison.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoXmB3DBYZPsA.KHinwt0aNDubYF?slug=ap-giants-burress&prov=ap&type=lgns

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2009, 07:52:50 PM »

High_Times, it looks like you agree with me.  I really think Orton can and will put up bigger numbers than Cutler this year.  Why should Denver go after an overpriced veteran like Garcia?  Orton's never had anybody...I mean NOBODY...to throw to in Chicago.  Fucking Devin Hester is an amazing kick and punt returner.  He catches those well...passes? Not so good.  no 
Now Orton's got Brandon Marshall, one of the best young receivers in the NFL, along with Eddie Royal, an up-and-comer.  Throw in Scheffler at tight end, and that unit is fucking good!  Denver has a history of plugging anybody in at running back and getting success.  Even that white dude last year was running for td's and 100 yard games.  hihi

Denver needs to address their shitty defense.  B. Dawk, I still think he's too old and Denver fucked up grabbing him.  It reminded me of their grabbing John Lynch too many years after his prime. 

What's the future of Chicago now?  Who sees Cutler throwing 25 td's next year?  Okay, if you do, now rattle off the td catches the receivers will have.  I don't see it.

I am sooo glad the Bears just fucked themselves for years to come...Viking Domination in the NFC North for years to come!!!   beer

P.S.  yes Drew, it's nice to see Plaxico's lazy dumb ass possibly heading to jail.  I was wondering what took NY so long to drop him.  I was kinda thinking NY's owner knew some people in the judicial system and I was going to be pissed if he got a slap on the wrist.  Eli is going to suck tremendous dick this season.  NY will have to win some very low-scoring games, or have their run game completely dominate the opposition...which begs the uestion, can Brandon Jacobs stay healthy for an entire season running as hard as he runs?  I think not.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:55:39 PM by Axl4Prez2004 » Logged

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2009, 09:10:26 PM »

I think u guys are crazy with all due respect.

Jay Cutler is a great QB and leader. Saying Kyle Orton is better than Cutler? Are u crazy?

The Bears have one of the greatest D's in the league, a great O Line and a great Running back. U throw in Cutler in there and Chicago are Superbowl contenders.

Minnesota have NO QB and NO WR's and have done absolutely nothing to upgrade that.

Chicago gave up essentially ONE first round pick, cause it is just like they got Jay Cutler with the 18th pick which would be a STEAL!  Losing Orton doesn't matter cause he would've been a backup anyway. there are plenty of draft picks left to find skilled position guys.

People are putting so much shit on Cutler and it isn't fair. He won 8 games last year with NO running game and no defense whatsoever.

he made a star out of an unknown rookie named Eddie Royal

U guys just wait till the season starts. I am going to save this thread and bring it back up at the end of the NFL Season.

Bears will go at least 10-6 this season and make the playoffs. That is the D Guarantee

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2009, 09:19:35 PM »

N.Y. Giants release dumbass Burress! It's about time! Hopefully his next stop will be prison.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoXmB3DBYZPsA.KHinwt0aNDubYF?slug=ap-giants-burress&prov=ap&type=lgns

I'm sure it will happen, but I don't see how he avoids jail time.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2009, 10:05:44 PM »

I am also going to disagree with u guys calling Burress a dumb ass.

In this day of age of Sean Taylor and even the Houston Rockets Carl Landry, Athletes are in high profile dangerous  positions. Look at the Denver CB Darrent Williams that got murdered or Taylor.  it was stupid shooting himself, but i'd be cautious as an athlete.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2009, 10:37:19 PM »

I think u guys are crazy with all due respect.

Jay Cutler is a great QB and leader. Saying Kyle Orton is better than Cutler? Are u crazy?

The Bears have one of the greatest D's in the league, a great O Line and a great Running back. U throw in Cutler in there and Chicago are Superbowl contenders.

Minnesota have NO QB and NO WR's and have done absolutely nothing to upgrade that.

Chicago gave up essentially ONE first round pick, cause it is just like they got Jay Cutler with the 18th pick which would be a STEAL!  Losing Orton doesn't matter cause he would've been a backup anyway. there are plenty of draft picks left to find skilled position guys.

People are putting so much shit on Cutler and it isn't fair. He won 8 games last year with NO running game and no defense whatsoever.

he made a star out of an unknown rookie named Eddie Royal

U guys just wait till the season starts. I am going to save this thread and bring it back up at the end of the NFL Season.

Bears will go at least 10-6 this season and make the playoffs. That is the D Guarantee
I don't think Orton is better than Cutler but I do think Cutler is vastly overrated.  Saying he won Denver 8 games by himself is just crazy.  They collapsed down the stretch thanks to a large dropoff in Cutler's play, so if you're gonna give him credit for all those wins you have to be fair and place a lot of blame on him for completely blowing the division.

And as for Denver having absolutely no running game last year.  They averaged 4.8 YPC, tied for 2nd in the NFL.  They rushed for 1,862 yards, 12th in the NFL.  Not exactly signs of no running game.  Granted it wasn't as good as it has been in the past, but they were in the upper half of the league, FAR better than Chicago's running game by the way.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2009, 10:50:38 PM »

I am also going to disagree with u guys calling Burress a dumb ass.

In this day of age of Sean Taylor and even the Houston Rockets Carl Landry, Athletes are in high profile dangerous  positions. Look at the Denver CB Darrent Williams that got murdered or Taylor.  it was stupid shooting himself, but i'd be cautious as an athlete.
1st... the hand gun wasn't registered (illegal)
2nd... he brought a handgun into senario where he would be drinking (in violation of his license to carry)
3rd... he was carrying the weapon improperly (safety off and in his waist band like a background character in Boyz in the hood)

All point to him being a dumb ass.
if you are that concerned about your safety in public, hire a LEGIT security detail (not 4 thugs that you went to highschool with... or the assholes Pacman used)

Also, maybe if they didn't go into a club with a 20 man deep entourage, wearing tens of thousands of dollars in jewelery, carrying thousands of dollars in cash they wouldn't attract this kind of trouble. When was the last time you heard about an issue in public with a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Tony Romo, etc...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:55:40 PM by C0ma » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2009, 11:01:18 PM »

Ok, So maybe he is a dumbass

Back to Cutler

also people are viewing this too much for next year. This is a career move. Sure the Bears don't have the best WR's right now but that doesn't mean they can't sign or draft some.

they still essentially got Cutler for the 18th pick in the draft and then a number 1 in 2010. that isn't that bad of a deal. Cutler is also still young and growing. I think he is a very good QB and he competed with Vandy in the SEC against the best.

One player never wins or loses but Cutler is a damn good QB.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2009, 11:05:28 PM »

Ok, So maybe he is a dumbass

If it quacks like a duck...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2009, 11:09:17 PM »

they still essentially got Cutler for the 18th pick in the draft and then a number 1 in 2010. that isn't that bad of a deal. Cutler is also still young and growing. I think he is a very good QB and he competed with Vandy in the SEC against the best.

it's actually a 1st and 3rd in '09 and 1st in '10 and a very servicable backup quarterback

That is a step below the Ricky Williams and Herschel Walker Trades... Washington blew their draft pics in the Ricky Williams senario, and Dallas built the Aikman, Irvin, Smith Dynasty with the Walker Trade. These picks will make or break the careers of Denvers new young front office.
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2009, 11:14:45 PM »

Both sides in the Cutler sage were wrong, as the "Player" admitted today in interviews. But IMO is that Cutler was more wrong-if every player who was talked about as trade material got pissed off and demanded a trade, well, it would be an entirely league. His skin is too thin and someone is lying. I tend to believe management over an agent and the player, because the management has more at stake and a monetary investment.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2009, 11:48:57 PM »

That was actually New Orleans and not Washington on the Ricky Williams deal

Still though ,when u haven't had a QB in 20 years, Getting Cutler is huge regardless of the price.

This is nowhere near the Hershel or Ricky thing though

one: those guys are RB's and not QB's

QB's are way more valuable than RB's

Chicago gave up 3 picks and they got a 5 from Denver back, so they really aren't losing but 1 draft pick cause like I said, wouldn't u draft Jay Cutler 18th?

Cutler is still very young and is growing. Who knows how great he will be in the years to come.

Had Minnesota made the same deal, they'd be Super bowl bound next season Had they gave up a 1 and a 3 for Cutler, Minnesota fans would be going crazy.  Enjoy sage Rosenfels

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: