Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 04:15:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227851 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Installing New Bridge Pickup... HELP
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Installing New Bridge Pickup... HELP  (Read 2062 times)
WanaBGunner
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: December 11, 2004, 03:16:31 PM »

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and plan on sticking Seymour Duncan Alnico pros in her. Will it be easy for me to take out the old one and slap this new one in? Will I need to do any mods to make em fit? And what other problems could I run into by doing this?

Help!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 07:54:54 AM »

Dude i was wondering the same thing... Can't help u though Huh

Fuck 'Em All.
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 05:54:00 PM »

It's easy. Just unsolder the original pickups and take them out. Follow the wiring directions that come with the pickups. Stock Alnico II Pros are slightly tricky because they have 4 conductor wires instead of the usual 1 that most humbuckers have... but the directions are pretty clear.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 08:31:13 AM »

It's easy. Just unsolder the original pickups and take them out. Follow the wiring directions that come with the pickups. Stock Alnico II Pros are slightly tricky because they have 4 conductor wires instead of the usual 1 that most humbuckers have... but the directions are pretty clear.
Is there any site that explains the process? I'm sure it may be simple for you, but i don't want to fuck up my guitar...

Fuck 'Em All.
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 10:10:38 AM »

Trust me it's not hard for anyone who hasn't been dropped on their head a lot an an infant. drool I couldn't find anything step-by-step on the web. If you want something detailed you may have to buy a book like "The Guitar Players Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine. Here's some stuff I found at the Seymour Duncan site:

Is it hard to install a pickup?
As a rule pickup installation is fairly simple but some guitars and switching layouts are more difficult than others. If you have basic soldering skills, a little mechanical aptitude and the ability to follow very simple color-coded diagrams you should find installing new pickups fairly easy and a lot of fun. Semi-hollow bodies, such as a Gibson 335 are more challenging and require a few special tricks to complete the job effectively. If you are inexperienced at installations, this type of guitar may be best left to a qualified, experienced repairperson.

What do I need to install a pickup?
A basic 30 watt or 40 watt soldering kit usually contains all the tools needed to install a pickup, including the iron and solder, a small standard and Phillips (crosshead) screw driver, and a small pair or wire snips. A set of wire strippers or a single-sided razor blade is also helpful for stripping the insulation from the pickup leads. Also, some fine sandpaper to scuff the backs of the volume and tone potentiometers and some soldering flux to distribute the heat evenly on the potentiometer casings can also be very helpful. Soldering kits can be found at most electronics parts retailers.

More info here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/faqdescr.shtml#installtools
WanaBGunner
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 01:10:30 PM »

Alright I think i'm set! Thanks for all the help, u guys are great!!  beer

Cant wait to get this sucker in, im ordering it monday! I'll let u guys know how it sounds, i'll try to get a sound clip up.

That is all...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: