Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:17:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Something I think Axl should consider...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Something I think Axl should consider...  (Read 2850 times)
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« on: May 12, 2004, 09:03:07 PM »

...Other than releasing his damn album.

Your life need a tune-up?
Phil Towle is the stars' personal enhancement coach. Get ready for your fabulous career to be dissected.

By Gina Piccalo, Times Staff Writer

SAN ANSELMO, Calif. ? Phil Towle wants to know you. And not that remote, cordial version of yourself that you usually offer up to strangers. He wants the whole you, control issues and all. Intimacy is like oxygen to him. That's why he's on call 24/7, ready for your cataclysmic meltdown, your gut-wrenching sobs, your 3 a.m. epiphanies.

When you're at your worst, Towle's at his best. He's your spiritual paramedic, your exorcist, the sensitive dad you never had. There are no timed sessions, no emotional boundaries. He's inside your head and inside your life. He dissects your motivations and analyzes your ambivalence, your self-sabotaging language, your buried vulnerability, the reasons you resent him, until you shift uncomfortably on the plush leather couch in his living room and wonder how you lost the reins of this conversation.

"Suppose there's a fear of making mistakes," he says, his loafers propped up on a heavy coffee table, a postcard view of verdant hills over his shoulder. "Suppose, when you write, you live with a chronic unresolved issue about not wanting to make a mistake. So you might bring a tape recorder. You might back it up with writing everything down. You might follow through with what the editor wants you to do. You might be real careful that you don't do something wrong that would expose you to making a mistake."

And just like that, your black felt-tip pen, Gregg-ruled steno pad and tiny Radio Shack tape recorder are the insidious tools of your undoing.

Phil Towle is a psychotherapist turned performance enhancement coach who is paid handsomely to reinvigorate the high-stakes careers of rock stars, professional athletes and CEOs. Since 1997, his clients have included Audioslave guitarist Tom Morello, Tennessee Titans defensive lineman Kevin Carter, legendary NFL coach Dick Vermeil and other luminaries too emotionally fragile to name here. But it was Metallica that cemented Towle's second career when it hired him in January 2001 as the band was falling apart. Longtime bassist Jason Newsted had just quit, threatening to end the band's 20-year run.

Filmmakers Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky, best known for their critically lauded 1996 film "Brother's Keeper," documented much of the 2 1/2years the band spent with Towle, resulting in "Metallica: Some Kind of Monster," which premieres in July. In the film, Towle cracks open the metal band to reveal the sticky goo inside ? hidden resentments, unresolved grief, power struggles and, yes, love and commitment.

It was costly work ? Towle's fee was a whopping $40,000 a month ? but it got results. "St. Anger," Metallica's first album in five years, went platinum and earned a Grammy, and the band received MTV's highest honor, the Icon Award. In the film, Towle weeps as the band discusses the end of their project. But in reality, that didn't mark the end of the relationship.

"He became a part of the family," says drummer Lars Ulrich. "It can be kind of awkward to end. In some sense it hasn't ended. And in another sense it will never end."

Morello credits Towle with making him the happiest he's ever been as a musician. "It's basically a lot of listening," says the guitarist, who hired Towle as his band Rage Against the Machine was breaking up. "It's such a foreign concept to rock 'n' rollers?. He was able to see through the defenses people had built up and the ongoing circular things that were making everybody unhappy, that were keeping everybody from success."

Evolution
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 10:16:44 PM »

axl probably would'nt turn up to the sessions......
SOH
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 10:55:12 PM »

Yeah, and Hetfield did an interview talking about how Towle drove him nuts, and at one point thought he was in the band. Axl already has psychologists.
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 02:47:50 AM »

Yeah and hetfields a wanker. Axl probably has the best in the business, and the last thing we need is another psycologist telling axl shit that would delay the album even more Roll Eyes

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
kockstar99
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 03:08:21 AM »

he needs to hire a new guitar player not a new psycologist....
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 08:58:31 AM »

LOL--Good Point!  beer
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 09:10:34 AM »

he needs to hire a new guitar player not a new psycologist....

I wonder if he's talked with Izzy...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 09:11:12 AM by Chinasky » Logged
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 06:46:21 PM »

I wonder if he's talked with Izzy...

I don?t think Izzy wants to talk to Axl at all.
Not even if iZZY had 3 dosis of cocaine, heroin, marihuana and had drank 3 or 10 bottles of vodka all at the same time, he wouldnt accept to work or even talk to Axl

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
grabaraxl
Rocker

stick to your guns

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 07:52:13 PM »

i miss the days when metallica were a metal band, not a gay band.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 11:24:57 AM »

How is Metallica a "gay" band?  Is it because they fulfull their tour obligations, release albums, or is it because they treat their fans right?  Just because you're mad about the current problems facing your favorite "band" doesn't mean that all else sucks.  St Anger rocks and Metallica still plays the shit out of their old stuff live.  What has your precious Axl done lately?Huh  
estranged.1098
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2004, 01:56:03 PM »

How is Metallica a "gay" band?  Is it because they fulfull their tour obligations, release albums, or is it because they treat their fans right?  Just because you're mad about the current problems facing your favorite "band" doesn't mean that all else sucks.  St Anger rocks and Metallica still plays the shit out of their old stuff live.  What has your precious Axl done lately?Huh  

They didn't fulfill their obligations when they cancelled their South American tour. The reason was that they were too tired, but of course they weren't tired to play a tour in Japan about one week later...

So yes, maybe in GN'R's forums every other band is perfect but that's not the reality.
tanya
Opening Act

I'm a goddess

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 11:18:41 PM »

axl probably would'nt turn up to the sessions......

I agree or if he did turn up he'd probably be drunk or high. Anyone see that picture of him sitting at what I think is a keyboard and in the picture next to him is a really big hunk of weed. Cute wonder how long it took him to smoke that

IM an earth goddess
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: