Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:51:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Recognizing GN'R Music
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recognizing GN'R Music  (Read 5444 times)
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« on: September 15, 2006, 07:23:22 AM »

Hi!

during lunch break at the office, we have some music in the restaurant in the background, however this music is very silent...I could swear I recognized Guns...as I asked the collegues to be silent for a moment...yep! I was right...it was KOHD which was played. Awesome!!!!? drool? drool

What I mean is...I recognized immediately the "GN'R sound" (whatever that is - I think it was slash's part which I recognized ) and I wonder if we would also have this with the "new sound" of the band at this moment. Will the new sound also be 'typical GN'R' ??

I hope this isn't a "dead horse" thread...? Huh

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 08:37:02 AM »

as far as musically goes i dont think it will, they have 3 guitars that drown out and recognisable sound that any of the players might have, except maybe a solo or stuff, but vocally axl will always be recognisable

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 08:40:10 AM »

SLASH guitar tone + AXL unique voice made GN'R recognizing in a second. Slash is a huge huge loss in the GN'R sound. No one can touch his phenomenal Gibson bluesy hard Rock guitar playing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 08:42:22 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 08:43:06 AM »

SLASH guitar tone + AXL unique voice made GN'R recognizing in a second. Slash is a huge huge loss in the GN'R sound. No one ca, touch his phenomenal Gibson bluesy hard Rock guitar playing.

personally ill agree with you, but i think some disagreements will be thrown at ya lol.i think also this will be locked as it will turn into a slash vs finck thread or something. ok

madagas
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:45:06 AM »

NESSHIT, you mean the sound Slash stole from Jimmy Page and Joe Perry and Dickey Betts/Duane Allman...that sound? Shocked
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 08:47:22 AM »

Slash is a huge huge loss in the GN'R sound. No one can touch his phenomenal Gibson bluesy hard Rock guitar playing.

Say what? This must be the first time you posted this... ?rofl

Personally I often recognise songs and it doesn't have to be because they have a sound. It's because I've listened to the song thousands of times. So sometimes all you need to hear is the bass line to know it's Aphex Twin or Queens Of The Stone Age.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 08:59:47 AM »

Slash has a very distinctive sound, so yeah you can pick him out instantly...at least i can ok

madagas
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 09:05:40 AM »

He plays the same guitars that the players I mentioned above use. Listen to Blue Sky by the Allman Brothers-recorded in 1971. Same tone as SCOM. Slash is distinctive but it is not original by any means.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 09:07:31 AM »

He plays the same guitars that the players I mentioned above use. Listen to Blue Sky by the Allman Brothers-recorded in 1971. Same tone as SCOM. Slash is distinctive but it is not original by any means.

never said it was but couple the sound with his playing...i don't think i ever mistake anybody else's  playing for slash's, even when it's new stuff, i'm like, "Is that Slash??!! YES!!" ok

anythinggoes
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 09:09:35 AM »

where i work we have radios playin some at different volumes sometimes you go past a really quiet one but maybe catch a tune without realising start humming or signing to yourself walk to anther part f the building ant the radios a bit louder and theres the song playin used to freak me out

As for Gnr i have a good ear for hearing any of there songs playing plus ive played some new ones at work on itunes and non fans have heard them and can identify them as GNR
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 09:53:37 AM »

Having nothing to do with who wrote what or anything like that here's a fact:

GNRs music is most recongnizable by Axls voice. If you think otherwise, as posted above, you're kidding yourself.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 10:01:09 AM »

I think we'll get the same feeling with the knew songs once their out, but as jarmo stated it's mainly a matter of recognizing something you heard a million times.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 10:08:27 AM »

GNRs music is most recongnizable by Axls voice. If you think otherwise, as posted above, you're kidding yourself.

maybe to a non-musician, but i recognized slash in other tunes as well, elan, MJ, gilby, snakepit when it first came out....he's got a very distintive sound/style, wylde, dimebag, mustaine, hammett, keenan are the same, i can pick them out from a mile away hihi

Origen
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 10:36:03 AM »

I hate when people think they are right and if you don't agree you are wrong simply based on their opinion  Roll Eyes

I reconize GnRs music by Slash's playing above anythink. It might not be unique but it is distintive.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 10:44:53 AM »

I hate when people think they are right and if you don't agree you are wrong simply based on their opinion? Roll Eyes

I reconize GnRs music by Slash's playing above anythink. It might not be unique but it is distintive.

well no doubt that Axl is very recognizeable but slash is just as in my eyes....or ears...whatever hihi

slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »

me and my mate are the same, we heard black or white for the first time and said to our selves "is that slash playing??, its cant' be" but it was

he has that ability to make the guitar sing in a unique way.

anythinggoes
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 11:48:31 AM »

not to piss on your bonfire but it was actually TWAT instrumental in one case that someone said is that Guns n Roses  Tongue ok the fact they knew im a fan may of influenced them but axl was not singing
King Sand
Patron Saint of Dust N' Bones
Rocker

... And there was nothing left but a grain of Sand

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 02:00:48 PM »

I think, for the most part, GNR will still have a distinct sound.  For instance, "The Blues" has a very GNR "sound" to it... TWAT too...  Some songs probably won't, but I think we'll still get that overall GNR feel to the album...

"Strange travel plans are dancing lessons from God." - Kurt Vonnegut
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 02:59:31 PM »

I htink we've all just listened to Gn"R so much, its just intilled in our brains. Theres been many times where there has been a radio on, and I could not hear it at all, but if it's a Gn'R song i know it immediatly

Axl is God.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 03:56:34 PM »

maybe to a non-musician, but i recognized slash in other tunes as well, elan, MJ, gilby, snakepit when it first came out....he's got a very distintive sound/style, wylde, dimebag, mustaine, hammett, keenan are the same, i can pick them out from a mile away hihi

Being a musician has nothing whatsoever to do with it. I'm a musician myself and I know alot about guitar tones. You can love Slash all you want, but in the end there's no way you guys can tell me that the average joe music way would hear a Slash solo and instantly say "THATS SLASH" whereas just about any music fan could hear Axl sing and say "YEP, that's Axl Rose"

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: