Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 12:32:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227852 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why do you love Chinese Democracy?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why do you love Chinese Democracy?  (Read 15671 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2015, 09:06:38 AM »

There's plenty of people in the world who don't like the music I like. What do I care?

I don't need to invite them here to tell me day after day how they don't like the band's music, that this site is about, though.

In your world, you seem to make assumptions about me and then when reality comes knocking, you can't accept it. So yeah, you're wrong.
I'm not gonna "correct" your biased opinion. I'm just gonna point out you being wrong.

As a bonus, I'll tell you why your opinion matters less to me than somebody else's. Because I know your bias already. You can't be taken seriously.

So, looks like that's a "no" on taking me out of the equation, even just for a second.

Hey, I knew the odds.  Can't exactly credibly claim unfair surprise.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2015, 09:08:06 AM »

I know I have said this one hundred times, but how do you call it an evolution or compare records when the entire band changed? I still don't get it...never will. Axl's evolution .... yeah that took place...it was his vision.

There were already some differences between the previous albums.
Maybe the step from Illusions to Chinese would've been smaller if the old band would've stayed together, but I wouldn't have been surprised if there were some differences between the albums either way.

There's plenty of people in the world who don't like the music I like. What do I care?

I don't need to invite them here to tell me day after day how they don't like the band's music, that this site is about, though.

In your world, you seem to make assumptions about me and then when reality comes knocking, you can't accept it. So yeah, you're wrong.
I'm not gonna "correct" your biased opinion. I'm just gonna point out you being wrong.

As a bonus, I'll tell you why your opinion matters less to me than somebody else's. Because I know your bias already. You can't be taken seriously.

So, looks like that's a "no" on taking me out of the equation, even just for a second.

Hey, I knew the odds.  Can't exactly credibly claim unfair surprise.

In plain English for you, I don't care what you, your imaginary girlfriend or that guy on the street, thinks of Chinese Democracy.
Better?

So no, I don't have a problem with your opinion. It's just one among one.
I have a slight problem with your need to constantly repeat your boring opinions. But that's a different issue altogether.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:11:00 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2015, 09:08:17 AM »

It's like a chef making the same exact dish for you year after year. Yes, it's nice and you don't go away hungry, but wouldn't you rather have him/her occasionally try to put a new twist to that dish you like so much?

At what point do you become concerned that every sous chef he's ever had, and more than a few line cooks, keep leaving him because so little food actually seems to make its way out of the kitchen?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2015, 09:31:01 AM »

It's like a chef making the same exact dish for you year after year. Yes, it's nice and you don't go away hungry, but wouldn't you rather have him/her occasionally try to put a new twist to that dish you like so much?

At what point do you become concerned that every sous chef he's ever had, and more than a few line cooks, keep leaving him because so little food actually seems to make its way out of the kitchen?

At what point will you give up your decidedly negative agenda here, as well as the idea that you even remotely know what is really going on in the kitchen?

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »

At what point will you give up your decidedly negative agenda here, as well as the idea that you even remotely know what is really going on in the kitchen?

I guess when I'm disproven by actually getting a meal.

How long can you really fill up on bread?

Princess Leia
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2015, 09:34:20 AM »

Good points. I agree.

/jarmo

I know I have said this one hundred times, but how do you call it an evolution or compare records when the entire band changed? I still don't get it...never will. Axl's evolution .... yeah that took place...it was his vision.

As for the topic at hand... I love about 60 percent of Chinese. Shackler's, Rhiad and Chinese Democracy just don't do it for me at all... same with Oh My God if that had been on the record. I think that goes for all records whether it ur favorite band or not, you simply wont love every song. (AFD being an exception...it's perfect from end to end.)

I LOVE... Better, Prostitute, TWAT and Catcher. Those songs are all time greats... and if they had been recorded Slash, Duff and Izzy... they would be looked at as all time great GNR songs everywhere.

as to specifically WHY I love them... well it's Axl Fucking Rose singing those songs....

Hold it right there. So you like those songs because Axl is singing? There are song that have a value on their own despite who is singing.

If Madonna decides to cover YCBM you are gonna hate the song because someone other than Axl is singing?

You could argue you like the original because your favorite band made it. And Madonna doesn?t have a clue. But YCBM is still a great song regardless. Why? Because it has an amazing killer intro, melody and solo. Then you add the rocking lyrics and Axl?s voice.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2015, 09:37:31 AM »

Hold it right there. So you like those songs because Axl is singing? There are song that have a value on their own despite who is singing.

Personally, I find it more of a case of Axl being so overwhelming the biggest hook for any of the new material.

Swap out Axl for some other singer and put him on the CD tracks.  Are you that into them?

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »

I guess when I'm disproven by actually getting a meal.

How long can you really fill up on bread?

Being overly anxious for a meal is no reason to think you understand how the kitchen works, nor will the constant complaints hasten the meal being served.

Men can starve from a lack of self-realization as much as they can from a lack of bread.
Richard Wright

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2015, 09:47:49 AM »

Being overly anxious for a meal is no reason to think you understand how the kitchen works, nor will the constant complaints hasten the meal being served.

True.

But I'd have to be blind to see there are fewer patrons in the restaurant these days.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »

True.

But I'd have to be blind to see there are fewer patrons in the restaurant these days.

Their loss-
Guess they can get their own soup.

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2015, 10:26:56 AM »

True.

Their loss-

Hahahaha

Well played here this morning, Emily.  I much prefer us disagreeing on a whole bunch but doing so in a more light hearted manner.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2015, 10:30:18 AM »

True.

Their loss-

Hahahaha

Well played here this morning, Emily.  I much prefer us disagreeing on a whole bunch but doing so in a more light hearted manner.

I knew you would catch that  hihi

"Shut the fuck up."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »

No soup for you! Come back one year!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2015, 12:45:04 PM »

Like others I think CD is a solid album, but by no means amazing.  I absolutely loved the leak of the TWAT demo before the album came out.  It is still my favorite song off of CD, but I agree that the end product is way overproduced.  I felt the same way about the extra sound effects in songs like Garden of Eden, Perfect Crime and Coma.  I would rather hear the songs without all the extras.  I tell my wife all the time, just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do it.  That is how I feel about CD. 

The only songs that I listen to off of CD are TWAT, IRS and Madagascar.  I think Prostitute is alright, but other than that I think its a rather forgettable album.  I think Scraped is terrible and the lyrics for Sorry absolutely kill the song for me. 
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »

CD has a lot going for it. Masterful musicianship by virtuoso players, rich with meaning and well a coordinated layers; a real conscious labor and work of love created in a way that spared neither effort time or money. For me it was a dream come true. Then again, I don't have delusions of grandeur about the past, so I think that helped me enjoy it as well. Like Ax says, "forgive what you have for what you might lose."
     Thanks to my fiance for typing all this out on the phone for me. (Its a real pain for me to type on a phone.)

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2015, 01:29:19 PM »

I love the wall of guitar sound throughout most of the album.  

Axl's singing, of course.  The scream to kick off Chinese Democracy is just pure beautiful violence.

Robin's solos on TIL and SOD.  

The Better guitar riff, which is amazing the way it is so choppy but grooves at the same time.  

How emotionally intense some of the songs are, especially Prostitute.  Unlike Appetite, it's intense in a very ambivalent way, like a frustration that's never fully released because of conflicting emotions where one part of you can't win over the other.  

I think Madagascar is incredible, but I do wish he would have stayed with what I guess is the Brownstone voice that we heard in the live bootleg.  Love the guitar solo that sounds like the pit of Hell coming to a boil.  
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2015, 01:31:07 PM »

CD has a lot going for it. Masterful musicianship by virtuoso players, rich with meaning and well a coordinated layers; a real conscious labor and work of love created in a way that spared neither effort time or money. For me it was a dream come true. Then again, I don't have delusions of grandeur about the past, so I think that helped me enjoy it as well. Like Ax says, "forgive what you have for what you might lose."
     Thanks to my fiance for typing all this out on the phone for me. (Its a real pain for me to type on a phone.)

Idem, Welcome Reality GUNS N' ROSES !!!

beer

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2015, 07:41:05 AM »

I've been pretty up-front with the fact that I'm not the new band's biggest fan or supporter. I will say I loved Oh My God and I do love a few songs off of Chinese Democracy: Rhiad, Shackler's, Catcher, There Was a Time, Better

But I've never been able to love the record. I find the rest of the songs either forgettable or horribly mixed. TiL is ruined by a guitar solo; it didn't need one.

But this is a question for people who love Chinese Democracy - for the people who hold Chinese D as their favorite GN'R record -|
Why do you love it? What about the album or songs speaks to you? What are your favorite songs off the record? What puts it above the rest of GNR's output for you?

I like CD because I can listen to it from start to end. I do not find many albums these days which I can do that with.

To address your other opinions, perhaps Guns could release an alt version of CD one day with other versions of the songs.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »

Personally, I find it more of a case of Axl being so overwhelming the biggest hook for any of the new material.

Swap out Axl for some other singer and put him on the CD tracks.  Are you that into them?

D-Generation, I do like a lot of what you write, especially the thought of Axl as the master chef.   hihi  That's one restaurant guaranteed to have some very hungry and extremely pissed-off customers!   hihi

But, to try and make the case for an album's music being good by "swapping out singers" is ridiculous.
99% of folks on GNR forums are here specifically for Axl's voice.

As for why I love CD, it's a killer album, that's why.
I only have 2 songs on it that I regularly skip:  ITW and Rhiad. 
12 out of 14 is pretty damn good...in fact, it's a higher % than AFD (for me 10 out of 12).  TAY and AG off of AFD aint my cup o' tea.  ...and like % is way higher than Lies and the UYIs.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »

I've been pretty up-front with the fact that I'm not the new band's biggest fan or supporter. I will say I loved Oh My God and I do love a few songs off of Chinese Democracy: Rhiad, Shackler's, Catcher, There Was a Time, Better

But I've never been able to love the record. I find the rest of the songs either forgettable or horribly mixed. TiL is ruined by a guitar solo; it didn't need one.

But this is a question for people who love Chinese Democracy - for the people who hold Chinese D as their favorite GN'R record -|
Why do you love it? What about the album or songs speaks to you? What are your favorite songs off the record? What puts it above the rest of GNR's output for you?

I like CD because I can listen to it from start to end. I do not find many albums these days which I can do that with.

To address your other opinions, perhaps Guns could release an alt version of CD one day with other versions of the songs.

Yes, it is great start to finish! It is like a movie in that way. I think making albums this way where it all flows together allows it to tap into the whole storytelling mechanism humans have used to convey information since the caveman days.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: