Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:24:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  wot do u think of velvet revolver?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: wot do u think of velvet revolver?  (Read 17278 times)
Gilby fan
Headliner

Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« on: September 17, 2004, 03:27:28 PM »

what do u think of slash duff and matt new band? ok yes
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 06:18:49 PM »

I think the band is very good, it's a good thing the guys got back together,.. I love the first album and look forward to hearing more and seeing them, when they hit new york again.. :beer:I took contraband with me to the gym the otehr day and heard it on a killer system with ten speakers, sounded amazing.. I usually listen to all my cds on my laptop..
gnfnrs1972
Opening Act

NO CHINESE DEMOCRACY FOR YOU

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 08:45:16 PM »

I looked forward to them before they chose Scott. He basically ruined it for me because he is just one of those singers I really never liked.

WHY DO WE EVEN BOTHER LOOKING FOR NEWS
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 08:51:02 PM »

They are amazing... I can't get enough of Contraband, and I look forward to them someday visiting the Emerald Isle!

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 03:07:07 AM »

Good band, great live shows. The album is great too.

moreblack
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 11:01:09 AM »

they will only get better over the next few albums. And they are already pretty fuckin good

Scott Weiland: "Man, I won't steer clear of shit. If I won't steer clear of wearing a fucking Nazi uniform coming into Europe, you think I'm going to steer clear of 'Fall to Pieces at Ozzfest?"
Brighty
Opening Act

jobby

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 09:43:04 AM »

The live show i saw in glasgow was one of the best gigs I have ever been to and ive seen alot of good shows including  new GNR docklands london, not sure who was better but VR rocked hopefully we will see them progress as more albums come out.

CB was never going to be an appetite or even close all the band members are too old and experienced and in many ways cynical music biz wise, appetite was a young hungry group of maniac drug addicts lettin of big time steam that is once in a lifetime shit.

Long live VR heres to the next ten years beer

just because its brown doesnt mean its shite
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 11:37:31 AM »

I looked forward to them before they chose Scott. He basically ruined it for me because he is just one of those singers I really never liked.

would you have rather had some 80's poser. Ripping off the poses of david lee roth, axl and vince neil and sounding like a girl because he sure as hell wouldn't sound like Axl
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 09:07:43 PM »

would you have rather had some 80's poser. Ripping off the poses of david lee roth, axl and vince neil and sounding like a girl because he sure as hell wouldn't sound like Axl

I honestly wanted bach before I heard about scott being frontman, but it would have been like they were trying to be gnr all over again..Now I love bach, skid row was a fav of mine growing up, but he wasn't the right choice for the guys trying not to sound like a gnr cover band..

Weiland brings in a different voice, with a rock star attitude, very energetic and even better then I though.. I think he's somewhat underrated, he's a truly excellent choice.. beer
dontcry44
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 12:10:42 AM »

VR BLOWS!  Talent GONE TO WASTE!!!!      You can have a car running perfect, but when you remove the "Axl", the whole car is useless!  I'd rather see Axl with the remaining member's of STP! Its only a matter of time before Weiland fucks up again.... its inevitable... VR is the remainder of GNR's member's attempting to recapture the essence of GNR without Axl to add insult to injury but in actual fact, the only thing that add's insult to injury is Contraband and more importantly, how unoriginal it sounds and is almost to the point of offensive to true GNR fans who went out to buy the cd only to realize they couldn't return it after opening the package.  VR is an excellent business move to get people excited about a product, but funny thing is, most people judged this product by its pretty cover only to find out that the inside was nothing short of new age pop music remisent of Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback, and all those other wannabe rock groups... Weiland was actually really good with STP too, but now he's just disturbing to look at, ie. the Fall to Pieces Video where  he looks anorexic and you can't tell if the video is a reinactment, or if it really is a live shot from a typical day in Scott Weilands life....

It's hard to hold a candle.... in the cold November rain....
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2004, 12:18:16 AM »

ok

ok now go back to listening to your 5 second clips of chinese democracy, madagascar & the blues.

Axl will be back shortly with the rest of the songs. Remember SOON is the key word
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2004, 04:34:47 PM »

I think it's as close as you're ever going to get to a Gn'r reunion and perhaps the last time that any members for the old Gn'r will ever be considered as modern rock artists, unless Chinese Democracy ever comes out.  More importantly, I love Contraband, although I can see where some people are disappointed in it.  I have 5 or 6 songs that have really grown on me and I listen to just about everyday.  I think Scott Weiland is a great frontman (not as good as Axl, but who is?) and Dave is a good rhythm guy, and both make this band sound different than traditional Gn'r.  It has Gn'r and STP elements in it, but the overall sound is pure rock n' roll and that's what I love about it.
November Rain 91
Headliner

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2004, 04:39:16 PM »

I was very excited for VR too, but disappointed. like some people have already said, im not a huge fan of weiland. i like him on some songs, but not so mujch on others. guess im getting used to him more though. one thing that bothered me was i don't think contraband was particularly diverse, many of the songs sounded the same, with the exceptions of the ballads and id say slither was pretty different from rest. Contraband has been growing on me more and more lately though. i wish they had come to cleveland during tour! huge disappointment they didn't crying (i heard they canceled cleveland stop because of something involving weiland and the courts, anyone know for sure?) looking forward to next cd though and will definitely be the first one in line when best buy opens peace

Guns N' Fuckin' Roses
Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2004, 05:44:54 PM »

two words to describe them... Fucking Amazing! ok

I will not change this Sig. until Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves or any MN teams win a Championship (10/16/06)
dontcry44
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2004, 08:43:12 PM »

two words to describe them.... pop trash.  yes

It's hard to hold a candle.... in the cold November rain....
Gilby fan
Headliner

Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2004, 02:36:15 PM »

why do u think they are pop trash  rant
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 03:15:35 AM »

I love Velvet Revolver. I think it's great that in 2004 we have a band that has 3/5 of my favourite band of all time back together and rocking out again with a pretty cool new frontman and a new rhythm player. beer

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 06:01:30 AM »

what the fuck makes you think they woud have picked an 80's type singer if they didnt get Weilend dude, personally i wished they got Bach from Skid's, but they said they sounded to much like Skid Row, which annoyed the hell out of me rant.

So they pick Weilend, Weilend doesnt like some of the songs so they change there groove, WTF!!!!
Whats the difference, they kinda sound like STP anyway, i have the album n' i dig it but c'mon, it's real average man, seriously Tongue Sad

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2004, 07:30:10 AM »

STP = better than skid row ever was, ever will be

besides they don't really sound like stp or gnr. they sound like VR
moreblack
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2004, 01:51:50 PM »

kicking ass live, kicking ass on cd. They don't need to impress anybody. They just rock...

Scott Weiland: "Man, I won't steer clear of shit. If I won't steer clear of wearing a fucking Nazi uniform coming into Europe, you think I'm going to steer clear of 'Fall to Pieces at Ozzfest?"
MsDuffMckagan
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2004, 11:16:46 PM »

drool  ok  peace  love

Velvet Revolver.......yeah......they're the kings man! I LOVE THEM!
Erin
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2004, 04:38:54 AM »

How can some of you label VR as pop trash? Seriously that is sumin i really cant grasp. Its not the most original thing in the world, but it is different to other things around today because its real, its real hard rock with some of the best musicians in the world, also you cant truly appreciate the album until you've seen these guys live cos the record is definitly something that was made to be played live, every single tune was written to be playedlive, theyve sed it and when you see em live u can truly appreciate that ok
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2004, 10:50:05 AM »

I think this is a great band, and if they can top Contraband they are really going to leave a mark.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2004, 11:27:57 AM »

If they made Sebastian Bach their singer, some may say they would sound like GnR/Skid Row, and with Scott they sound like GnR/STP..  Fuck, Skid Rock rocked in the same lane as GnR, and I know that Bach has a reputation of being an asshole, but his voice is amazing.. It's in fact (from a musicians point of view) maybe better than Axl's voice. But Axl is about so much more than just a great voice..  So the best singer would have been Axl ! Second best would have been Bach.. But they removed themselves a bit from the typical 80's sound with Scott, so maybe that was a clever move?

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
moreblack
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2004, 03:03:44 PM »

plus: Bach didn't write lyrics for Skid Row.

darkdays_01
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2004, 07:44:31 PM »

In my opinion VR is one of the best rock bands to come out in the last ten years, not just because of the fact i was a big fan of Guns or STP, they are just a damn good rock & roll band, the past decade has really had no stand out rock bands, just crap like Nickleback , Creed, Puddle of Shit, bands like that , and it is nice to see a band like VR come out and do so well. They have a great record and just a killer live show, if you havent seen these guys live you are really missing out. ok
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2004, 03:10:52 PM »

I was/am dissapointed a bit.
That trademark blues rock sound that SLASH always had is not there anymore and I think he should go back to it.
It is simply the thing he was known for.
He is the best blues rock guitar player in the world and he should keep it! ok
I am missing thoose solos.
It sounds toomuch like late 90's and early 2000's rock and I can't say I like it too much.
Still,  it is the best music out there now so I am giving them 4 out of 5 stars.
(at least they don't rap and don't have electronics like shit-awful-new generation-nu-metal.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2004, 04:50:42 PM »

it'll never happen not with Scott in the band.

they had blues-based songs that they wrote with Izzy which Slash said would've made the best guns album. The problem is Scott voice does not suit those songs classic sounding songs.

I just hope those songs are released some day either on the next VR record or on Izzy's solo album.
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2004, 04:56:29 PM »

Slash's style is still there, its just the harder side of it rather than the middle to softer side  ok
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2004, 06:29:31 AM »

Slash's style is still there, its just the harder side of it rather than the middle to softer side? ok

I agree, but another thing is that they have mixed his guitar deeper down in the mix, than we are used to hear him on GnR, Snakepit, and most of the guest spots he has done before...

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2004, 04:15:24 PM »

It's been a really long time since I got a new hard rock record that I listened to more than a few times. I got Contraband right when it came out and I've been enjoying ever since. I love this band... I can't wait to see where they can take this. As much as I love Contraband, I hope they can do even better on subsequent albums.

I've seen enough.
realgunner
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2004, 09:35:29 PM »

It's very nice and a real pleasure to have back on the chart real musicians and a real Rock'n Roll Band,it's been a long and horrible time.

God Bless America. beer
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2004, 02:24:51 AM »

I think they are good but they are too comercial , i mean i love them  , but look at their videos ....Slash's Snakepit videos were better and simplier.
I'd prefer to see Velvet Revolver as an underground band like Izzy Stradlin's  is or Snakepit  was. thats the main reason Izzy aint part of this project and thats a pity.
But after that i like the music , i like Velvet Revolver hope to see a second album from them soon.  yes

If the world would end today... Wink
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2004, 03:52:49 AM »

I think they are good but they are too comercial , i mean i love them? , but look at their videos ....Slash's Snakepit videos were better and simplier.
I'd prefer to see Velvet Revolver as an underground band like Izzy Stradlin's? is or Snakepit? was. thats the main reason Izzy aint part of this project and thats a pity.
But after that i like the music , i like Velvet Revolver hope to see a second album from them soon.? yes

Can you elaborate on what makes them too "commercial," and why GNR wasnt?
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2004, 12:19:29 PM »

I think they are good but they are too comercial , i mean i love them? , but look at their videos ....Slash's Snakepit videos were better and simplier.
I'd prefer to see Velvet Revolver as an underground band like Izzy Stradlin's? is or Snakepit? was. thats the main reason Izzy aint part of this project and thats a pity.
But after that i like the music , i like Velvet Revolver hope to see a second album from them soon.? yes

Can you elaborate on what makes them too "commercial," and why GNR wasnt?

Guns N' Roses was commercial but for example Its video "Estranged" was a great video , its lyrics werent radio friendly or shit like that , but still is good, what i mean is that Velvet Revolver lyrics seems to be very poor , thats my opinion. I scott wrote great lyrics in Stone Temple Pilots, i dont know what happned here.  by the way i like Slither lyrics. ok
Velvet Revolver doesnt seem to be a "serious deep lyrics  " band .  once again I love Velvet Revolver.

Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2004, 12:39:30 PM »

guns n' roses didn't make Estranged until 4 years after their debut was released.

Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

how is that much better than the lyrics on contraband?

they are both great bands man!
squeezeboxwho
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2004, 04:59:27 PM »

I really like Velvet Revolver though not quite as good as Guns N' Roses.
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2004, 05:10:36 PM »

guns n' roses didn't make Estranged until 4 years after their debut was released.

Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

how is that much better than the lyrics on contraband?

they are both great bands man!

I know they are great bands, by the way they wrote paradise city lyrics more than 17 years ago, you cant compare the age thoses guys were. what i mean is that they are more mature, i expected more deep serious kinda lyrics. thats what i mean. every member of Vr is married or has grown up a lot since then, so thats what i looking for. not a song like Big machine  Undecided

I know they are both great bands, dont need to tell me that, cause i already knew it dude  ok

Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2004, 06:55:26 PM »

big machine is the most politically concious song on the album.
the problem is how repetive it is
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2004, 12:45:24 PM »

Yeah I really enjoy there album and I'm looking 4ward to hearing more

EEEERRRR Little boy
squeezeboxwho
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2004, 04:12:20 PM »

I really like them and their album very much.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2004, 04:38:27 PM »

Songs like slither, dirty little thing, superhuman, headspace, set me free r some killer rockers..  I still listen to contraband all the time n I love the covers, surrender n no more no more are damn good, slash sounds amazing on the two minutes in the no more no more solo...

In the past few years I haven't enjoyed a single as much as slither, good beat (matt on the drums) slash's guitar work, & scott's singing...
badapple81
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2004, 08:06:37 PM »

what do u think of slash duff and matt new band? ok yes

Some killer riffs. Overall, a little over average, that's it.
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2004, 01:16:30 PM »

When I first new about VR I was really exicited to hear what they were gonna do I fell in love with set me free waited for the album was a bit disappointed at first but I thought about what it really means and its one of my fav albums although its one of best hard rock albums this year.

EEEERRRR Little boy
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2004, 01:23:00 PM »

well i am glad VR formed cause i like how they have brought some good rock back into, at the moment, a boring time for me personnely in music. Though i would have preffered sabo bach, but scott does a good job. Anyways if they didnt have scott there style would have been different.

There is one main problem i have with scott. In live performances instead of singing he is being a ass and messing around with that damn megaphone  rant

html sucks
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2004, 06:43:48 PM »

Mrlee he has been using the megaphone since he started in stp over ten years ago,, It's who he is..  I'm not a big fan of it but it's nothing shocking to me..
cumbum
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2004, 08:57:53 PM »

I think their new band is quite awesome.
I'm not all that crazed about it.
Still cool though. ^_^
Buckle
Mr. Mayonaise (The Model)
Opening Act

The World is My Bucket

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2004, 03:51:24 PM »

They are brilliant, not as original as g'n'r, but that is a tough act to follow, there are songs which have really grown on me, such as sucker train blues, and big machine. And Scott does really well as a frontman, trys his best.

I saw them in London, and they blew me away, scott really made his point, except the megaphone pissed everyone off a bit. But really good gig otherwise.

Wink
using my illusions
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2004, 05:19:03 PM »

like i said in another post, they are good...compared to nickleback...

seriously though, all this talk about them being brilliant, lmao - pleeeeeease, don't lie to yourself.  smoking
Furious Styles
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2004, 09:02:51 PM »

As much as I tried to enjoy Contraband, I finished listening to it with a bit of an empty feeling. I'm not necassarily sure why. I think I was expecting maybe not necassarily more or better, but maybe something different. It wasn't as hard hitting as "Ain' Life Grand," in my opinion. I didn't feel like the band let loose, other than the first single Slither. The other songs, I just really couldn't connect with. Maybe I was expecting the musical brilliance of Gn'R, or the over the top aspect of Slash's Snakepit, I'm not sure. I don't know, it's not an album that I can listen to continuously.

As for Velvet Revolver itself, I'm happy all the guys are doin' well and enjoying success. I think they all deserve it after the things they had to go throw, with not only the band, but life in general.
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2004, 02:49:39 PM »

VR & Contraband= Good          Not anything special!

Scott Wieland not one of my favorites.  I would have loved to see Buckcherry's singer (Josh Todd I believe) be there singer. 

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: