Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:19:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Worst Albums of 2004
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Albums of 2004  (Read 18639 times)
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2005, 09:14:53 PM »

I somewhat agree.? For me Contraband was a real let-down.? A barely average rock album from an all-star line-up.? I wouldn't call it one of the worst albums of the year by any means but was definitely expecting a much better musical effort especially considering all the hype that followed 'the project' for over a year.? The album doesn't even come close to 2004's "The System Has Failed" by Megadeth which is basically Dave Mustaine's solo project with the Deth name.? VR sold alot of records but as far as the quality of the music they need Axl alot more than they think.

It's funny how you hear Matt Sorum and Slash bash the ballads Axl wrote and the artistic direction he wanted to take the band before realizing that GN'R's most memorable and still talked about songs are the ballads (with the exception of WTTJ).? I highly doubt anyone (other than the die-hards) will still be discussing "Slither" & "Fall To Pieces" in 5 to 10 years.

Hey man!! Rock the fuck on!! Megadeth's "The System Has Failed" kicks ass!!! It is my second favorite album of the last year behind "Contraband".  I wish more people listened to the last Megadeth album. Kick The Chair, Blackmail The Universe, The Scorpion, Truth Be Told all great... I still like Contraband better though, for awhile they were flipping back and forth but Contraband came out like 4 months before and I still listen to it more. The are both in my disc changer though....

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2005, 12:57:47 AM »

i havent posted yet cause its entirely bullshit

contraband is a? great album

i think scott pissed off some critics and they are paying VR back for it
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 12:59:39 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2005, 02:55:55 AM »

I cannot think of a major rock release this year that's been better than VR (not counting Greatest Hits albums by old bands such as Gn'R, I mean new music).

Silvertide: Show and Tell. Roll Eyes Some of you guys seriously need to look a little harder. Just because something hasnt reached number 1 doesnt mean its not good.
SADIS
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2005, 04:47:28 AM »

I cannot think of a major rock release this year that's been better than VR (not counting Greatest Hits albums by old bands such as Gn'R, I mean new music).

Silvertide: Show and Tell. Roll Eyes Some of you guys seriously need to look a little harder. Just because something hasnt reached number 1 doesnt mean its not good.

It's a great album but not as good as CB. The songs blur too much in the same sound/melody and the ballads are simply of Nickelback standard. They cannot touch LTA, FTP and YGNR.
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2005, 12:09:32 PM »

This is not about having an opinion, this is about some of you just can't take the fact that some publications do bash Contraband.
No, as has been said before, its 'Corny 80s hair metal trying to be punk' that everyone's got a problem with. I mean, how the hell is Dave Kushner hair metal? rofl

Or Scott, or Matt... both of them have short hair, so that makes every musician, with short, bald or long hair "hair metal" then...  hihi

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
otgm
Opening Act

Personal text

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2005, 03:48:59 PM »

The album doesn't even come close to 2004's "The System Has Failed" by Megadeth which is basically Dave Mustaine's solo project with the Deth name.?

I like Megadeth but I really thought that "The System Has Failed" is weak! Damn boring with no catches whatsoever. Thanks but no thanks, Dave; I'll stick to my Rust In Piece and Countdown To Extinction.

Contraband rocks imo. It's not a classic but a very strong rock album indeed.

Been hidin' out and layin' low
It's nuthin' new ta me
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2005, 07:03:52 PM »

Yeah, CB is fine, it doesn't belong on a best or worst list.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2005, 10:52:59 PM »

The album doesn't even come close to 2004's "The System Has Failed" by Megadeth which is basically Dave Mustaine's solo project with the Deth name.?

I like Megadeth but I really thought that "The System Has Failed" is weak! Damn boring with no catches whatsoever. Thanks but no thanks, Dave; I'll stick to my Rust In Piece and Countdown To Extinction.

Wow, you need to give it another listen man. You are the ONLY Megadeth fan that I have heard this from. This album is liek the follow up to Rust In Peace...To each is own I guess, but I would give it another listen or 2...Oh my broken heart....

otgm
Opening Act

Personal text

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2005, 02:24:23 AM »

Wow, you need to give it another listen man. You are the ONLY Megadeth fan that I have heard this from. This album is liek the follow up to Rust In Peace...To each is own I guess, but I would give it another listen or 2...Oh my broken heart....

I actually have listened to it a couple of times... The only good songs are Die Dead Enough, Back In The Day and Something That I'm Not.

Been hidin' out and layin' low
It's nuthin' new ta me
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2005, 09:49:38 AM »

I don't expect everyone to like it. If people remember Gn'R would get voted for worst and best band in readers polls back in the day. What can ya do?Huh It just doesn't make sense to me that an album that is 1.5 times platinum, still selling 50,000 a week 6 months after it' srelease, and two very succesful singles still getting mad airplay is one of the worst? Roll Eyes .? If the album sucked, it would have sold the initial 250,000 copies and copies would have fell of tehg face of the earth...

I am still loving it....

Britney Spears albums triple what VR sold does that mean he albums are the best of the year? Album sales dont = how good an album is.  If Contrband was the same album without the slash and duff in it, you guys would not be saying its great, i bet noone of you would have gotten it. 

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2005, 01:43:57 PM »

I don't expect everyone to like it. If people remember Gn'R would get voted for worst and best band in readers polls back in the day. What can ya do?Huh It just doesn't make sense to me that an album that is 1.5 times platinum, still selling 50,000 a week 6 months after it' srelease, and two very succesful singles still getting mad airplay is one of the worst? Roll Eyes .? If the album sucked, it would have sold the initial 250,000 copies and copies would have fell of tehg face of the earth...

I am still loving it....

Britney Spears albums triple what VR sold does that mean he albums are the best of the year? Album sales dont = how good an album is.? If Contrband was the same album without the slash and duff in it, you guys would not be saying its great, i bet noone of you would have gotten it.?

Contraband couldn't be the same album without Duff and Slash. oops, you still haven't realized that they are irreplacable.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2005, 02:18:29 PM »

The Slither guitar solo is the best I have heard in YEARS.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2005, 04:16:20 PM »

I really wish critics would listen to music instead of just stereotyping and chastising it straight from the get-go.

I mean, Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi is hair metal extreme... Contraband sounds nothing at all like that, nothing GNR ever released was ever like that, and STP certainly were never like that. It's such a fucking stupid comparison, I can't believe the miseducation and swill that passes for music journalism. These amateurs disgust me.

i don't mind reading negative reviews about VR when the author backs up his opinion by quoting specific parts, what songs they don't like, why they don't like them, what's wrong with those lyrics and that guitar riff etc.

They just see "featuring blah blah ex-GNR blah" on the album cover and somehow come to the conclusion of hair metal... daft is what it is  Roll Eyes

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2005, 03:55:52 AM »

Dave considering Velvet Revolver was founded by Duff and Slash its safe to say that without them on the cd there wouldnt be a Velvet Revolver at all.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2005, 09:10:50 AM »

2. Green Day, "American Idiot." The first punk-rock opera, with a daring, political theme and enough inspiring riffs to make this the "Quadrophenia" of its generation.
Thanks for posting the list Pandora ok Anyone who compares Green Day to The Who should have something terribly awful done to them rant. Quadrophenia is an amazing album, American Idiot sounds exactly the same as every single other Green Day song I've ever heard. These guys obviously wouldn't know great rock 'n' roll music if it stomped all over their faces shouting "Hey! I'm great rock 'n' roll music! Listen, see!"

Got to agree you can't compare Green Day to WHO. Afteral in interviews GD was talking about messing around with different kiddie toys to make their album. Pete Townsend is a genuis and doesnt waste time dicking around but rather writes good songs and good stories. Quadrophenia is compareable at best the the Who's TOMMY. Now is they are hinting at American Idiot being anywhere near Tommy, Daltry needs to swing his mike and slap them straight.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2005, 04:18:46 PM »

I am still loving it....

Britney Spears albums triple what VR sold does that mean he albums are the best of the year? Album sales dont = how good an album is.? If Contrband was the same album without the slash and duff in it, you guys would not be saying its great, i bet noone of you would have gotten it.?

I wouldn't have gotten it the day it came out.  I usually won't buy an album from any band that I do not know unless I hear 3 songs that I like first. I would have never heard Set me Free, but I would have atleast heard "SLither", "FTP" and "Dirty Little Thing". Those songs would have gotten me to buy the album....And it if sucked I wouldn't still be listening to it. I heard Duff's loaded album and decided not to get it. The last Snakepit album came out and I really tried to like it but didn't.  Aerosmith is my favorite band and I buy their new shit but if it sucks like "Just Push Play" I don't listen to it.  There is no Agenda here...  The only thing I can think of is that you must sit there and  force yourself to try and like songs such as "Silkworms" and "Rhyad" or whatever it is called.  You can go ahead with your pathetic little ways and twist and turn it as much as you want. But reguardless of how bad it eats you up, "Contraband" is a great , succesful rock album... It gets better with every listen as a matter of fact...

Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2005, 09:59:11 AM »

It just doesn't make sense to me that an album that is 1.5 times platinum, still selling 50,000 a week 6 months after it' srelease, and two very succesful singles still getting mad airplay is one of the worst? Roll Eyes .? If the album sucked, it would have sold the initial 250,000 copies and copies would have fell of tehg face of the earth...

I am still loving it....

How does an album go 1.5 times platinum?  I know it has sold almost 1,500,000 million copies but you don't need to say 1.5 times platinum trying to talk the album up to be larger then it is. That is how you can tell someone is a hardcore VR fan calling it 1.5 times platinum. Its an album by a supergroup that hit 1x platinum, I like Scott, Slash, and VR but to be honest I was a little disappointed.  I enjoy CB and think it is a great cd but I would say it lived up to about 80% of the hype I had for it.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2005, 10:18:49 AM »

How does an album go 1.5 times platinum?? I know it has sold almost 1,500,000 million copies but you don't need to say 1.5 times platinum trying to talk the album up to be larger then it is. That is how you can tell someone is a hardcore VR fan calling it 1.5 times platinum. Its an album by a supergroup that hit 1x platinum, I like Scott, Slash, and VR but to be honest I was a little disappointed.? I enjoy CB and think it is a great cd but I would say it lived up to about 80% of the hype I had for it.

Because the context in which he used that figure was intended to show how many records theyve sold, and 1.5 million is quite different than 1 million.  Saying "1.5 times platinum" is poor wording, but the figure is accurate, therefore hes not talking it up larger than it is - thats what it is.  Its closer to 2X platinum than 1X, which is the point he was making.
groupie
Opening Act

I really need to go to therapy...

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2005, 12:05:49 PM »

i couldn't stop laughing for a couple of  inutes when i read the hair-metal thing. i mean what idiot/s wrote that?
they obviously don't know shit about hair metal and look at dave, matt and scott. especially dave (can you see
his hair??!!) and all the rap albums on the top 1o best also pissed me off. like we haven't had enough of that.

CB was disappointing, at least to me, but they had no reason to put it even close to the top 5 worst albums.
some songs really kick ass!!

YOU KNOW WHAT??!! FUCK NEW YORK POST 'CAUSE TEY DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT REAL MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"To use the words of my friend Axl, WAKE UP, IT'S TIME TO DIE!!!"
duff, tokyo 1992
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2005, 02:19:26 PM »

The album doesn't even come close to 2004's "The System Has Failed" by Megadeth which is basically Dave Mustaine's solo project with the Deth name. 

The System has Failed was a very impressive album.  I didn't think it was knock me over good at first, but after a couple listens I like almost every track.  I thought Contraband was a bit better, but I still thought The System has Failed was the 2nd best album of 2004.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 02:22:08 PM by echrisl » Logged

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: