Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 04:56:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Duff McKagan's mellower view of the rock life
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff McKagan's mellower view of the rock life  (Read 25239 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: August 17, 2007, 04:16:12 PM »

Duff McKagan's mellower view of the rock life

Friday, August 17, 2007

By MIKE KERWICK
STAFF WRITER

He looked down and saw his own body -- tubes running in and out, his mother sitting nearby -- and Duff McKagan tried to reconcile this out-of-body experience with reality.

"I said, 'This is [expletive] wrong,' " McKagan said during a recent phone interview. "This is not the way it's supposed to be."

Was it the drugs? The booze? Or was it something more benign -- a spirit, perhaps -- that triggered this vision? McKagan didn't know.

Here's what McKagan did know: His pancreas was on the verge of tapping out. And he wanted to die.

Then he had that vision. Life suddenly took a 180-degree swing for the Guns N' Roses bassist who grew up believing he would never get within a guitar riff of his 30th birthday.

"And I was actually resigned and cool with that," McKagan said.

How different things are now, 13 years after that near-death experience, for McKagan and a few of his former band mates. McKagan takes business classes in his spare time. Slash plays Guitar Hero. Together the two former members of Guns N' Roses -- along with Dave Kushner, former Guns drummer Matt Sorum and former Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland -- have spent four years and two albums carving a new rock identity in Velvet Revolver.

It is a far cry from his former band's identity.

"You thought you were missing something if you didn't go out one night," McKagan said. "You might miss the greatest party ever. That's just really kind of a teenage way of looking at things. I actually know people that still kind of think that way. They're in their 30s and 40s. Poor [expletive] people. My life has become a lot richer since I've been sober.

"I'm living a full life. I got an education and I read and I'm fascinated by things. I kick-box. I water-ski. I ride a motorcycle. More importantly than all that other [expletive], I have two little girls and a wife who look to me for everything."

The group's new album, "Libertad," hit stores in July. It peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard 200 chart and has since fallen out of the top 20. The band set the bar high with its first album, "Contraband" -- a disc that debuted at No. 1 and went double platinum.

"I think there's definitely some weird chemistry that Slash and I have tapped into," McKagan said. "I almost feel like some sort of weird old soul thing. We never talk about music, never have. We never talk about what we want a song to sound like. To me that would just be goofy."

McKagan may have escaped the culture of Guns N' Roses, but he can't escape the questions about his old band. Every music fan on the planet wonders whether Axl Rose and the early '90s lineup will ever patch things up and head out on another tour.

"It would have to be kind of a cool groovy situation, a feel-good situation, for us to do it," McKagan said. "You know, I think it could happen someday, somehow, because of the fact that we're all still alive. It's really not something I waste any time thinking about. As far as my music goes, I have a great band, I love what we do. I love the record we made."

And no matter how many records Velvet Revolver sells, McKagan is realistic.

"It's never gonna happen again," McKagan said. "We were at the right place at the right time for a generation that needed it. It just doesn't happen. People ask, 'Well, is Velvet Revolver going to get the success of Guns N' Roses?' Oh [expletive] no. Nobody will. Nobody ever will. Unless in 10 years there's some need for a rock band that comes along and captures their imagination."

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNjcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcxODIyNDImeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
isa
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 07:22:35 PM »

he's a great humang being! love
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 07:32:31 PM »

"It's never gonna happen again," McKagan said. "We were at the right place at the right time for a generation that needed it. It just doesn't happen. People ask, 'Well, is Velvet Revolver going to get the success of Guns N' Roses?' Oh [expletive] no. Nobody will. Nobody ever will. Unless in 10 years there's some need for a rock band that comes along and captures their imagination."

that bolded part, I read it as duff says that there will never be a new band as big as GNR again, would you say that's a correct interpretion? (is that a word?)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:17:01 PM »

^^I read it too fast the first time and took it wrong.  But yes I take this to mean that he says no new band will get the success including VR.

I am surprised that he is talking about a "reunion", I would think with a new CD out and a tour he would want the focus to be elsewhere.

Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 10:55:14 PM »

Watch this devolve into another 10 page long hate/bash fest by the end of the week.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 01:58:51 AM »

Watch this devolve into another 10 page long hate/bash fest by the end of the week.

It won't take that long, trust me..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 05:09:47 AM »

I like what Duff said about being there at the right place at the right time for a generation that needed it.

Pretty much sums it up really.? ok

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
icpillusions
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 11:45:18 PM »

I like what Duff said about being there at the right place at the right time for a generation that needed it.

This generation really, REALLY needs it.  There is practically nothing out there for the youth.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 03:10:14 AM »

I hope not.  But it might feed into comments like this....

A blast from the past

BY JEFF MIERSNews Pop Music Critic
Updated: 08/17/07 8:54 AM

Velvet Revolver was the headliner, but shouldn?t have been. The group ? Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots, grouped with Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum of Guns N? Roses ? just doesn?t seem like a cohesive outfit. It?s not that the songs on the band?s two albums are weak ? a few of the ones on the new ?Libertad? are actually great ? it?s just that they lack the cohesive energy of a group of musicians truly working together toward a common goal.

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/story/143016.html

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 12:46:49 PM »

I never really saw GNR as a "generation that needed it" type of band, more of a band that elevated
a scene then had major crossover success.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 12:48:35 PM »

Pretty much sums it up really.  ok

I never really saw GNR as a "generation that needed it" type of band, more of a band that elevated

guys, i hate to simplify this....but the reason GNR made it huge was b/c of one thing: Axl Rose. yes, Izzy and the songs were key, but without Axl, none of this happens. He is the ultimate rock star, ultimate frontman rock icon, just the ultimate everything. His presence is UMATCHED!
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 02:40:59 PM »

guys, i hate to simplify this....but the reason GNR made it huge was b/c of one thing: Axl Rose. yes, Izzy and the songs were key, but without Axl, none of this happens. He is the ultimate rock star, ultimate frontman rock icon, just the ultimate everything. His presence is UMATCHED!

Oh shut up.

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 02:44:51 PM »

? ? After reading the statements from Duff, I have to go back to previous posts where I said Duff is the link between Axl and ex-members.? He said don't believe what you read.? He played down the rift between Axl and Scott.? I'm sure that behind everything that he has a pipe line to Axl if anyone does.? He left the band because he wanted to do new things and he was replaced.? I'm sure that if he wanted to, that he could go back to GnR in the future.? He loved that band and for now he's dedicated to VR.? Who knows what'll happen after GnR's CD is released.? Axl may have just wanted do this deal alone too.? Business is Business and could be a big part of the equation here too.
? ? After all those years together having a party every day and night and just being together period is tough.? Once apart, you see that there other things and people that you want to hang out with.? It doesn't mean you hate those people and can never see or hang with them again.? (Well for some there is hate).? Time does heal wounds or at least after awhile you realize that the stuff you couldn't stand or be around were trivial.
? ? ?I personally don't speak to people or friends for sometimes years but when I do it's like we've never lost touch.? With some of my friends, our lives depended on one another with out a doubt.? Yet when you go seperate ways, time goes by real quick and you get caught up in your own thing.? I'm not big on or have the time for reunions and stuff like that.? Shit I'm this way with my own brothers.? We won't talk for months and then we do and hang out or whatever.? It's stuff like my personal life that make me think that you really can't believe what you hear or read and that behind all the legal stuff and rumor that these guys don't hate each other and that they're probably closer than most think including each other.
? ? ?

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 03:17:25 PM »

Pretty much sums it up really.  ok

Oh shut up.

I love tough guys who sit behind their screens at home....

its a message board u asshole!
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »

Oh shut up.

Either learn to post properly, or go somewhere else.  If you don't, it'll just be made so you can't come here anymore.

No need to resort to idiocy as well..
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 03:32:21 PM »

Oh shut up.

Either learn to post properly, or go somewhere else.  If you don't, it'll just be made so you can't come here anymore.

might as well just ban him now, he doesnt even like the band.
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »

Oh shut up.

Either learn to post properly, or go somewhere else.? If you don't, it'll just be made so you can't come here anymore.

It was my 666th post - the Devil made me say it.

Sorry, but why does every thread have to be hijacked with an 'Axl roolz' mentality. Christ. We go from an interview with Duff to a 'Waa GNR were only succesful because of Axl and no other reason whatsoever'. It just gets tiring hearing it all the time.

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 03:36:30 PM »

Oh shut up.

Either learn to post properly, or go somewhere else.? If you don't, it'll just be made so you can't come here anymore.

might as well just ban him now, he doesnt even like the band.

/quote]

Ha look who it is!!

Sure I love the band, I'm listening to Lies right now.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 03:45:42 PM »

but you dont like anyone who is in the band now, so you are wasting your time here.
W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 03:47:18 PM »

Oh shut up.

Sorry, but why does every thread have to be hijacked with an 'Axl roolz' mentality. Christ. We go from an interview with Duff to a 'Waa GNR were only succesful because of Axl and no other reason whatsoever'. It just gets tiring hearing it all the time.

The band wouldnt have made it if it wasnt for Axl, come on...who the hell thinks otherwise? Axl is the lightning rod...lots of people can write songs, play guitar, play drums, bass....it takes a special person to be a good front man, and it takes an Axl Rose to be legendary.  Tell u waht...match ANY singer to the original GNR band...do u think they make it as big??? NO WAYYYYYY.....Axl Rose is the reason this band became HUGE. To think otherwise is a joke. Yes, input from all the members, specifically Izzy, was important. Of course, without the cool songs, Axl would have nothing to sing over. So of course he needed the band, but no one could replace Axl....and we've already seen everyone else in the band COULD and HAVE BEEN replaced.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 03:49:23 PM by W 23 AXL II » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 04:15:36 PM »

^^

Most Ridiculous Post I've read in quite some time.

U put Axl in Britny Fox or The BulletBoys and he would be nowhere like he is today.

The band Collectively is the reason they are so huge.

U think its that easy to write some of the greatest guitar riffs and solos of all time?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 04:17:17 PM »

It also gets tiring to hear a band promoting their new album by continuously talking about a reunion with a band they were in a decade ago.

Sure seems to make a lot of sense.
W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 04:32:59 PM »

^^

Most Ridiculous Post I've read in quite some time.

U put Axl in Britny Fox or The BulletBoys and he would be nowhere like he is today.

The band Collectively is the reason they are so huge.

U think its that easy to write some of the greatest guitar riffs and solos of all time?

dude, ur way off.....Axl Rose is magic. The rest were great, but minus Axl, no one ever hears of them. That's my point, without Axl, they would never have become GNR. Put Vince Neill with them....put Bon Jovi, Brett, Bach......no one does what Axl does. It would never have happened. One of the reasons those "Riffs, solos" are sooooo famous is because of the song, and the song is popular b/c of AXL ROSE.

dont get me wrong dude, i love the whole band. new and old and everything in between. but to think Axl wasnt the main catalyst is plain moronic. There are a million great solos out there. There are a million great chord progressions. Theres only one Axl.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 04:36:10 PM »

Oh shut up.

So go back to ROV where more posters bitch about Axl constantly and discuss off the wall conspiracy theories about the old band re-uniting.  You won't be missed  peace
jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 04:37:47 PM »

It also gets tiring to hear a band promoting their new album by continuously talking about a reunion with a band they were in a decade ago.

Then maybe you should tell the interviewers to stop asking the questions!
W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 04:38:27 PM »

Then maybe you should tell the interviewers to stop asking the questions!

they very easily could say, "Guys, no GNR questions or else interview is over, ok?"
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007, 05:04:58 PM »

Didn't they used to say they were bored of talking about this stuff?

I have no basis for this but I seem to remember it.
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2007, 05:10:18 PM »

It seems I was right in my earlier post...

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 05:49:21 PM »

they very easily could say, "Guys, no GNR questions or else interview is over, ok?"

That will really work, do that a few times and you will find your media opportunities die off and create general ill will among the media. Just wait until Axl releases an album and has to do press. It will be the first, middle and last thing he is asked about every single interview. Stone walling or refusing to talk about it in favor of trying to demand soft-ball questions will leave the media moving on to something more interesting. Anyone who thinks he will somehow be exempt from the treatment Slash/Duff get in the media in terms of questions about the old band is delusional.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »

I'm pretty sure your PR guys job is to tell people what you will and won't talk about.

These people, very obviously, sell magazines and other things.

I'm pretty sure they'll say what they can and can't talk about.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2007, 06:26:04 PM »

Just wait until Axl releases an album and has to do press. It will be the first, middle and last thing he is asked about every single interview.

There's absolutely no doubt about that. ?

For me, how that is handled will be one of the most interesting aspects of the promotional process. ?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2007, 08:51:49 PM »

Just wait until Axl releases an album and has to do press. It will be the first, middle and last thing he is asked about every single interview.

There's absolutely no doubt about that. 

For me, how that is handled will be one of the most interesting aspects of the promotional process. 

If it ever happens...

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2007, 10:08:26 PM »

I'm pretty sure your PR guys job is to tell people what you will and won't talk about.

These people, very obviously, sell magazines and other things.

I'm pretty sure they'll say what they can and can't talk about.

It is a more than safe bet that if Axl's PR people were to send out documents to journalists that would bar them from asking anything old Guns related that interest in media pieces on Axl would fall significantly. He needs to make as many friends in the media as humanly possible if he wants this project to have every chance to succeed, and journalists will instead just start writing negative articles about him rather than fluff pieces dictated by Axl. I can't see how alienating the press would be a solid strategy when there is already as much skepticism as there is about the project.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2007, 10:57:04 PM »

Even if that is the case.

I doubt he'll repeatedly talk about reunions.

It's almost like these guys request it.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2007, 12:19:27 AM »

I think the old members discussing reuions is maybe crossing the line a bit, I will give u guys that one BUT, If u think Axl isn't gonna be talkin about the old members u are in for a rude awakening.

If u dont answer the questions, U will look like an asshole.

Axl will give some PC answer like "Im glad they have moved on and are doin well, I wish them the best" etc etc kinda stuff.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2007, 12:57:14 AM »

Nice interview and fuck all of you responsible for turning this into another shit fest. yes

Fuck 'Em All.
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2007, 08:18:04 AM »

Nice interview and fuck all of you responsible for turning this into another shit fest. yes
Yeah Really and keep this quote readily available because you can use it 20 times a day as of late.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2007, 06:11:18 PM »

Some photos of Duff walking his dog in Manhattan...he does look mellow. yes

http://www.contactmusic.com/photos.nsf/gallery?open&artist=duff_mckagan&page=1

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2007, 10:40:47 PM »

Some photos of Duff walking his dog in Manhattan...he does look mellow. yes

http://www.contactmusic.com/photos.nsf/gallery?open&artist=duff_mckagan&page=1

NO flip flops Duff, good Lord. Embarrassed

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2007, 10:46:39 PM »

Out of interest - anyone know how tall he is?

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2007, 02:42:00 AM »

LOL @ the poop bag.

w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2007, 05:04:55 AM »

6'3
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2007, 02:50:51 PM »

Kill Hannah with guest appearance by Duff McKagan
September 3, 2007 6:32 p.m.

Those of you that caught Chicago natives Kill Hannah today at Exhibition Hall got to see a blast from the past. Duff McKagan, bassist for Guns N' Roses, stepped in for a song at the end of Hannah's set. He gave them that wow factor that they seemed to be missing. Check out photos.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/thebigblog/archives/121120.asp

Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2007, 04:19:38 PM »

6'3

isn't slash like 5' 10 and a half, but he slouches so much he appears 5'9?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: