Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 12:31:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227838 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GUNS N' ROSES who invented the unplugged trend within the music industry
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GUNS N' ROSES who invented the unplugged trend within the music industry  (Read 5318 times)
snakepiter
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: March 20, 2005, 10:22:20 PM »

Was GUNS N' ROSES who invented the unplugged trend within the music industry???

Today I was driving my pick up truck from work.....(by the way...Shure microphones headquarters are right in front of the shell gas station where I work,remember the add W.Axl Rose did for Shure back in the 90's where there's his picture singing or screaming and his picture looks like a broken mirror and its autographed??) so I was listening to the album Five Man Acoustical Jam by Tesla which came out in 1990.

This is what the Tesla camp are saying "The 1990 release of 'Five Man Acoustical Jam' was directly responsible for launching that decade's "unplugged" craze. "

Me??? I think that yeah, but......There is a but, dou you remember the 1988 release GN'R LIES where for a first time I hear a electric song in a acoustical version YOU 'RE CRAZY....Now you got it, from my point of view this is where they got the idea from.

I am pretty sure other artists did acoustic stuff in concert but not as a official release.

That's what I think.....I don't know about you.

pro old gnr
pro new gnr
pro vr
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 11:10:13 PM »

Tesla's CD was sort of a benchmark for the increased popularity of the unplugged craze, but that was also the CD
that really launched Tesla, even though their first two CDs did well. The 5 man CD really made them a household name.
As far as GnR, they of course did the acoustic thing well before it's popularity.
They played songs like One in a Million, Patience, November Rain, Move to the City, etc in acoustic shows
before Appetite was even released.
And Bon Jovi were probably given more credit too, as their acoustic version of "Wanted Dead of Alive" on the 1987 VMAs got a ton of attention as well.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 11:16:48 PM »

And Bon Jovi were probably given more credit too, as their acoustic version of "Wanted Dead of Alive" on the 1987 VMAs got a ton of attention as well.

Yep, BJ are widely credited with starting the "Unplugged" thing, at least the MTV Unplugged craze..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 01:40:19 AM »

Oh man, someone mentioned BJ...

get ready! here it comes!
Grass
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 03:51:27 AM »

There is a but, dou you remember the 1988 release GN'R LIES where for a first time I hear a electric song in a acoustical version YOU 'RE CRAZY....Now you got it, from my point of view this is where they got the idea from.

The Lies version of You're Crazy was still electric though.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »

Tesla's CD was sort of a benchmark for the increased popularity of the unplugged craze, but that was also the CD
that really launched Tesla, even though their first two CDs did well. The 5 man CD really made them a household name.
As far as GnR, they of course did the acoustic thing well before it's popularity.
They played songs like One in a Million, Patience, November Rain, Move to the City, etc in acoustic shows
before Appetite was even released.

I thought patience was written to calm the crowd down after 2 people were killed by the whole crowd pushing towards the stage. And I thought this occured during the tour for Appetite. correct me if I'm wrong.

Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 10:44:42 AM »

I thought patience was written to calm the crowd down after 2 people were killed by the whole crowd pushing towards the stage. And I thought this occured during the tour for Appetite. correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I have a bootleg somewhere from (I assumed from 1986 or earliy 1987) where they debuted Patience and Axl is singing the lyrics from a piece of paper. I could have this confused, with a different old acoustic performance. Of course, the did originally demo November Rain acoustically (and the other version with a piano).
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 06:22:46 PM »

You are right about Patience - that was at CBGB's - he had to read the words and the whole gig was aucoustic that night. - i think it was 88? could be wrong on the year, but I'm right about the gig. "Somone gimme a smoke you selfish bastards!!!" lol

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 01:44:12 AM »

The CBGB's show was October 87.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 04:53:20 AM »

I bough the unpluigged gnr boot when it came out.. I was checking it the other day and the sleeve itself says gnr was responsible for the unplugged craze or at least they were doing it first before it became the "thing" to do.. Bon Jovi's dead or alive was defiently the one performance I remember in the mainstream as a kid.. Gnr was the first unplggued album I bought though..

AIC was one of my favorite unplugged shows.. smoking
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: