Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:42:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227904 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Use Your Illusion I & II - released 24 years ago
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Use Your Illusion I & II - released 24 years ago  (Read 12080 times)
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 02:59:39 AM »

I'm a European and did see a live gig in 1991. With all the bootlegs and something called AFD or similar I was a massive fan already.

That said I was, of course, very well aware of the Illusions coming out but I didn't buy them until summer of 1992.

I had a chance to go to the United States of America. Have you ever visited America, can you believe that? Going to America? And there they were in some record store, those yellow and blue CDs. While I only listen to these on some more advanced mediums nowadays I still have the same originals.

EDIT:

Hmm... Just having sent the message I had a flashback. I also went to London earlier during that glorious summer. The CDs are probably from there but it doesn't take away that I visited many record stores in New York and would have seen the colours this time knowing I've got these already peace
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:08:53 AM by Lord Stan » Logged
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 04:42:40 AM »

I got mine on CD on the Sunday from the local record store ran by a friend.

It was slightly annoying because I had this Sony Hi-fi with all these noise reduction options, but the stereo used to apply these options whether I wanted them or not, so the sound was not as grand as I would have liked.

We went up to Tower records in London on the Monday where I purchased them again on vinyl along with some other albums and some T shirts. I remember buying a Primal Scream T Shirt at the same time because I was due to go and see them live in Leeds or Bradford. We then went to Carnaby Street where I purchased some DM boots. We then went to Canterbury where I purchased more boots and T Shirts, then we went out for dinner and drinks at a place run by a guy who liked to dress as a pirate. At night time, we went clubbing at the local nightclub, Monday night was cheap night for drinks, and I got them to play some of the new album later on about 1-2am
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 07:07:02 AM »

I got mine on CD on the Sunday from the local record store ran by a friend.

It was slightly annoying because I had this Sony Hi-fi with all these noise reduction options, but the stereo used to apply these options whether I wanted them or not, so the sound was not as grand as I would have liked.

We went up to Tower records in London on the Monday where I purchased them again on vinyl along with some other albums and some T shirts. I remember buying a Primal Scream T Shirt at the same time because I was due to go and see them live in Leeds or Bradford. We then went to Carnaby Street where I purchased some DM boots. We then went to Canterbury where I purchased more boots and T Shirts, then we went out for dinner and drinks at a place run by a guy who liked to dress as a pirate. At night time, we went clubbing at the local nightclub, Monday night was cheap night for drinks, and I got them to play some of the new album later on about 1-2am

that sounds like an awesome time!

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 07:52:36 AM »

Thanks for sharing the stories.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2015, 03:36:48 AM »

Use Your Illusion 2 was actually the first GNR album I ever bought. I had the 45's of SCOM, WTTJ and PC but never actually bought appetite. we were poor and was easier buying the cheaper singles than buying entire albums.

Anyhow, From the first moment I heard Civil War I was blown away.... I swore for a long time that someone other than Axl had to be singing, cause I had never heard such a diverse  vocalist before or since. Everything is amazing about these CDS. Coma and Estranged have always been my 2 go to favorites.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2015, 12:13:33 PM »

WTF happened?

D is posting?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2015, 12:35:06 PM »

Did hell just freeze over?
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »

I remember going down to the mall and buying both CDs. And when you bought both you got a Guns N Roses patch.  Still have the patch to this day.  ok

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »

I got 1 on casette and then the 'blue album' on cd.

Was young back then. I thought for a long time that Slash was the one doing the dark vocals.

Everything is amazing about these CDS. Coma and Estranged have always been my 2 go to favorites.

It's amazing how gnr got associated with two distinct decades (afd and UIY) of rock. Hi, ladypigmen r us. wave

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2015, 04:09:48 AM »

Was young back then. I thought for a long time that Slash was the one doing the dark vocals.

I believed that too. Like the 'speach ' in Get in the ring,  and "Let me hear you now" in Breakdown  (actually though he said "Limon-imo-nade).  hihi

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Annie
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2015, 01:30:48 PM »

I remember purchasing both cassette tapes the day after I watched the MTV Rockumentary that made me fall in love with GNR. Played them in my car til they wore out. beer Made working night shift alot easier listening to the music going to and from work.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 12:39:52 AM »

WTF happened?

D is posting?

/jarmo

Missed you guys, what can I say?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 12:02:43 AM »

WTF happened?

D is posting?

/jarmo

And he put effort into the post

Nice to see him back

Bunch of other corner crawlers I am seeing around here though
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 11:28:50 PM »

I bought mine at IGA on cassette a few weeks after release. Later got them both on cd through Columbia house. Just purchased them again a few years ago. Still great albums front to back. Listen to them back to back at least once a year. peace
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:33:58 PM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 06:32:33 AM »

Cassettes.... Who misses them?  hihi

/jarmo

The Hinge
Headliner

Here Today...and every bloody day

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2015, 07:42:13 AM »

My first ever CD was Illusion 2. I remember being absolutely blown away by estranged.To this day no other song has drawn the emotion out of me like that hearing it for the first time

24 years ago....far out

'Most organized religions make a mockery of humanity'
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2015, 08:15:15 AM »

I remember checking *every* f@cking day for the release of the twins at the Nuggets (retail music chain like Tower etc)
because nobody knew the date and it kinda drove my friends crazy because I was complaining everytime it was not out.

and finally the right day came and I bought the two records on cassettes (I still like cassettes, there's a new hype
about them and I'm pleased to see some indie bands and now some big sellers like Metallica doing cassettes again, you
have to listen the whole thing like it was supposed to hear and that's one of the good thing about it)

so I listened to them in my Walkman (damn I feel old) and it was a long, surprising experience because there was a lot
of different material, and I thought it was a good thing, imagining the next LP like some sort of psychedelic Sgt Pepper,
but well, I had no idea at that time I would have to wait so long to listen to a new original GNR record...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2015, 08:42:09 AM »

Oh yeah, I remember our local record store had a board with upcoming releases and I kept checking it every week....

/jarmo

Ericnor
Rocker

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 09:47:34 AM »

Oh yeah, I remember our local record store had a board with upcoming releases and I kept checking it every week....

/jarmo

Ha, had actually forgotten how those things worked back in the days.
I remember that too, checking the record store for the release date. I think they had a book where they had paper sheets (or written by hand?) listings of new releases, put out every Monday? or something for the upcoming week...

Man, how things have changed.

-Eirik

rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 09:57:57 AM »

Cassettes.... Who misses them?  hihi

/jarmo

I do!

Actually i think Illusions sounds best on cassettes. Then Cd and last Vinyl.

Cassettes are fun. Easy to make mix tapes, easy to record your own stuff. ect.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »