Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 09:59:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227849 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Destruction is coming - Appetite For Destruction deluxe editions out June 29th
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Destruction is coming - Appetite For Destruction deluxe editions out June 29th  (Read 141706 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #240 on: May 04, 2018, 07:13:20 AM »

GNR is my all-time favorite band.  However, I laughed at the $1,000 price tag this morning. Even $180 for songs that I have or heard previously as demos is a bit much. They seem to forget that their main fanbase is in their 30s & 40s. Right when people have families or starting families along with having a mortgage, car payments, saving for college/retirement, etc.  I'm on the fence for $180 and possibly a no. For concert tickets, it's one thing since those are expensive for other bands and music artists, unfortunately. For this, there was no need unless they had included several more discs that are concerts.

If you want the music only (all four discs), it will be available on iTunes for $30-$40 I believe.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #241 on: May 04, 2018, 07:17:06 AM »

GNR is my all-time favorite band.  However, I laughed at the $1,000 price tag this morning. Even $180 for songs that I have or heard previously as demos is a bit much. They seem to forget that their main fanbase is in their 30s & 40s. Right when people have families or starting families along with having a mortgage, car payments, saving for college/retirement, etc.  I'm on the fence for $180 and possibly a no. For concert tickets, it's one thing since those are expensive for other bands and music artists, unfortunately. For this, there was no need unless they had included several more discs that are concerts.

Amazon has the digital version of the super deluxe version (just music) for like $29.

https://www.amazon.com/Appetite-Destruction-Explicit-Super-Deluxe/dp/B07CQSXPCV/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1525430979&sr=8-16&keywords=appetite+for+destruction

The $180 version is on the high side for what you're getting, but it's not out of the realm of reason with the merch that's included (and that slip case is pretty cool).

I agree: The 1k version isn't, to me, a good value.  You take a bunch of that stuff and get the AFD5 to sign it and maybe.....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:21:07 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #242 on: May 04, 2018, 07:20:24 AM »

Amazon has the digital version of the super deluxe version (just music) for like $25.

The $180 version is on the high side for what you're getting, but it's not out of the realm of reason with the merch that's included (and that slip case is pretty cool).

I agree: The 1k version isn't, to me, a good value.  You take a bunch of that stuff and get the AFD5 to sign it and maybe.....

I might go for the $180 one. The photo book is probably a cool thing, as well as the lithos.

Sweetness is a virtue
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #243 on: May 04, 2018, 07:22:05 AM »

Amazon has the digital version of the super deluxe version (just music) for like $25.

I might go for the $180 one. The photo book is probably a cool thing, as well as the lithos.

Yeah, I'm holding on to my preorder for now.  I'll decide for sure as we get closer.

I routinely pay $150 for video game collectors editions...I don't see this as being much more expensive.

Together again,
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #244 on: May 04, 2018, 07:44:22 AM »

Amazon has the digital version of the super deluxe version (just music) for like $29.

https://www.amazon.com/Appetite-Destruction-Explicit-Super-Deluxe/dp/B07CQSXPCV/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1525430979&sr=8-16&keywords=appetite+for+destruction

Thanks Pilferk! This is more reasonable. I have a gifft card that I got from Christmas so I'll use that for the Amazon MP3. With that being said, I still think it's a bit much for the $180 and $1k options.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #245 on: May 04, 2018, 07:47:13 AM »

It's the huge price jump from the 2cd to the 4cd version that really gets to me. If that $180 box had been, say $50 or $60, then OK, and I'd have ordered it. But I just can't see why any extra two discs and a box mean it's SO much more expensive.

I'm really deflated by all this, I have to say. I feel a bit like I've been targeted as a mug by a major record label.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #246 on: May 04, 2018, 07:56:21 AM »

It's the huge price jump from the 2cd to the 4cd version that really gets to me. If that $180 box had been, say $50 or $60, then OK, and I'd have ordered it. But I just can't see why any extra two discs and a box mean it's SO much more expensive.

I'm really deflated by all this, I have to say. I feel a bit like I've been targeted as a mug by a major record label.

I agree it could have been a bit lower in price.

It's not just 2 extra discs though.

Sweetness is a virtue
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #247 on: May 04, 2018, 07:56:39 AM »

Apart from the 96 page book and a couple songs i havent heard yet like The Plague. This seems pretty meh to me.

Im not really a demo guy (allthought the Led Zeppelin reissue companion discs were nice)

Hearing Appetite and almost the whole GNR Lies album with more compression was exactly something i was hoping not to happen.

That said im maybe buying it for the book. (the 180$ version) Probably i will listen the demos through maybe once or twice, and stick to the origial AFD.

Im happy for all of you who are over the moon about this.

Call me a party pooper all you want. This is just my opinion.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #248 on: May 04, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »

I mean, it's a little bit more than the case and a couple extra cds. Wink

In perspective: I just bought the God of War Stone Mason Edition.  It came with the game (with some extra digital content), a steel book, a 13 inch x 15 inch statue (thats mega fucking cool), a cloth map, a ring, 2 inch figures, a sticker, and a keychain. It was $150.

And that's pretty close to representative of what you see in that market.  Granted, games are close to $60 which is about 4x the price of a new, single CD.

BUT, you're getting:

96-page Hardcover Book with Unreleased Photos from Axl?s Personal Archive and a Bombardment of Memorabilia

Simulated-Leather Wrapped Slipcase and Book Cover with Embossed GN?R Logos

4 CDs:
73 Total Tracks ? 49 Tracks Previously Unreleased
First Ever Album Remaster from Original Analog Tapes

12 Tracks from B-SIDES N? EPS Newly Remastered from Original Analog Tapes

25 Unreleased Recordings from 1986 SOUND CITY SESSION

2 Unreleased Recordings from Mike Clink Sessions:
?Shadow Of Your Love? ? from December 1986 Mike Clink tryout session
?Move To The City (1988 Acoustic Version)? ? from GN?R LIES sessions

1 Blu-ray Audio Disc:
New 96kHz 24-bit 5.1 Surround Sound Mixes from Original Analog Multi-tracks
Original Album Mixed by Elliot Scheiner
5 Bonus Tracks Mixed by Elliot Scheiner & Frank Filipetti
All songs feature brand new animations
4 Original Music Videos in 5.1
Unreleased 1989 ?It?s So Easy? Video in 5.1

5 Previously Unseen Band Member Lithos

?Welcome To The Jungle? Video Invite Flyer ? Originally Drawn by Slash

Robert Williams Painting Litho 12?x24?

Temporary Band Member Tattoos

3 Replica Ticket Stubs

1 Wall Poster 24?x36?

AND, though it's not in this list, the unboxing video for the Super Deluxe shows the early gig flyers, too.  So....not sure on those. Maybe.

That's a decent amount of Merch.  Now, you may or may not find value in that merch, but it's a package that's comparable to what other CEs are out on the market, and the price isn't that much higher than other media CE's.

Its steep, I get it.  $200 is nothing to sneeze at.  I'm calling this my birthday present from the wife and kids (they were thrilled when I told them this  Grin Wink  ).  But I don't think it's SO out of whack.

The 1k version...I think they're overreaching, but the proof will be in the pudding.  If they sell them all....

And if not, we'll see them slowly discounted on the store til they hit a price point that clears them out.

As an aside: The box in the 1k version is fucking stellar.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:00:31 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #249 on: May 04, 2018, 08:03:37 AM »

Hearing Appetite and almost the whole GNR Lies album with more compression was exactly something i was hoping not to happen.

I'm gonna wait to serve judgment until I actually hear the result.

We might get something punchy and dynamic.

Sweetness is a virtue
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #250 on: May 04, 2018, 08:05:57 AM »

I agree it could have been a bit lower in price.

It's not just 2 extra discs though.

True - there's some other bits. So double the cost of the 2cd (that's $40) and add, let's be generous, another $40 for the box, and posters. Still only $80.

I just think back to that Prince reissue - 3cds and a Dvd for under $25. That's a great price.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #251 on: May 04, 2018, 08:14:12 AM »

Apart from the 96 page book and a couple songs i havent heard yet like The Plague. This seems pretty meh to me.

Im not really a demo guy (allthought the Led Zeppelin reissue companion discs were nice)

That said im maybe buying it for the book. (the 180$ version) Probably i will listen the demos through maybe once or twice, and stick to the origial AFD.

You may be surprised on the compression front.

AFD's digital master was done very early in the CD age and the transition from analog to digital was not great. Most of us are not routinely listening to the vinyl, analog, master.  We're listening to the digital, CD master (which is the progenitor of all the digital tracks available).   There are lots of little artifacts and issues with that AFD master that they may clean up. The japanese remaster, for instance, I think sounds better than the original (which can be a little muddy in spots, and Duffs bass is a little thin) digital master. But it does add some harshness in the high end.  The original vinyl (which was the target format for AFD's original mastering), especially the German pressing, AFD is definitive, and we'll have to see how it compares to the vinyls in Locked and Loaded.

I'm interested to see what they've done hear.  I think Shadow sounds great, played through my home theater system, which gives me hope.  It's not perfect, but it's damn good considering what we assume the source is (30+ year old analog tapes).

Together again,
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #252 on: May 04, 2018, 08:14:35 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpVrCQv3m7c
Here we can listen to some sneak peaks.

Yes its more punchy. Overall after hearing only this little, ill say the 87 version is closer to my taste.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2018, 08:16:28 AM »

Again, I have to go back to the Japanese Remaster.

It added more detail, the bass sounded better, and it "fixed" a lot of problems with the rushed original digital mastering.  While I still have my original, original AFD vinyl, cassette, and CD...the version in my car is the Japanese Remaster (because trying to get a turntable in my car would be rough).

Together again,
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #254 on: May 04, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »

I've never really cared for the remastering of albums personally. The reason I liked an album in the first place is how it sounded, so I never see the need for any supposed 'improvement'.

I guess there are exceptions to that rule; albums that a bad job was done in the first place, but I don't think AFD is one of them.

rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #255 on: May 04, 2018, 08:18:50 AM »

You may be surprised on the compression front.

AFD's digital master was done very early in the CD age and the transition from analog to digital was not great. Most of us are not routinely listening to the vinyl, analog, master.  We're listening to the digital, CD master (which is the progenitor of all the digital tracks available).   There are lots of little artifacts and issues with that AFD master that they may clean up. The japanese remaster, for instance, I think sounds better than the original (which can be a little muddy in spots, and Duffs bass is a little thin) digital master. But it does add some harshness in the high end.  The original vinyl (which was the target format for AFD's original mastering), especially the German pressing, AFD is definitive, and we'll have to see how it compares to the vinyls in Locked and Loaded.

I'm interested to see what they've done hear.  I think Shadow sounds great, played through my home theater system, which gives me hope.  It's not perfect, but it's damn good considering what we assume the source is (30+ year old analog tapes).

Good points!

Im a bit of a loudness war phobic.
That said i always though the Illusions sounds the best on cassette  Grin (the sound is more organic, if it makes sense.)

Its been a while since ive gone through my GNR vinyls but AFD indeed sounds better than the cd.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #256 on: May 04, 2018, 08:19:32 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpVrCQv3m7c
Here we can listen to some sneak peaks.

Yes its more punchy. Overall after hearing only this little, ill say the 87 version is closer to my taste.

So, going from the official version of the Shadow single, in MP3 and comparing it to youtubes version that's up....I would say the MP3 version slays it in terms of quality.

Youtube's compression, for music, can be iffy.  The opening on shadow sounds like thinned out shit (comparably) on youtube.  The MP3 sounds a LOT better (even if it's still a little lossy). I can only imagine that it will sound even better directly off the disc.

Together again,
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #257 on: May 04, 2018, 08:20:42 AM »

Again, I have to go back to the Japanese Remaster.

It added more detail, the bass sounded better, and it "fixed" a lot of problems with the rushed original digital mastering.  While I still have my original, original AFD vinyl, cassette, and CD...the version in my car is the Japanese Remaster (because trying to get a turntable in my car would be rough).
I havent heard the Japanese remaster. Id have to check it out.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #258 on: May 04, 2018, 08:23:47 AM »

Good points!

That said i always though the Illusions sounds the best on cassette  Grin (the sound is more organic, if it makes sense.)

Its been a while since ive gone through my GNR vinyls but AFD indeed sounds better than the cd.

I'm totally on board with the loudness war thing.  But I'm a bit optimistic because CD was one of the few discs in recent memory that didn't cave to it.  AFD came out just as it was starting and it, too, bowed out of the battle.  It seems like its a conscious decision on their part (with Illusions digital mastering being the only discs putting a toe in the water, and even then.....it's track to track).  

I'm HOPING that these remasters stay out of the fray.  Shadow is a little bright, on that front, but not so much that it makes me worry.

And I agree on Illusions.  My cassettes were my "go to" til I wore them out.

Again, we'll see!

Together again,
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #259 on: May 04, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »

Good points!

I'm totally on board with the loudness war thing.  But I'm a bit optimistic because CD was one of the few discs in recent memory that didn't cave to it.  AFD came out just as it was starting and it, too, bowed out of the battle.  It seems like its a conscious decision on their part (with Illusions digital mastering being the only discs putting a toe in the water, and even then.....it's track to track).  

I'm HOPING that these remasters stay out of the fray.  Shadow is a little bright, on that front, but not so much that it makes me worry.

And I agree on Illusions.  My cassettes were my "go to" til I wore them out.

Again, we'll see!
Agreed, Illusions are still fine, Chinese is on the limit.
Spaghetti Incident and Live Era went overboard on the compression.

I just checked. My AFD vinyl with the Robert Williams artwork is a German pressing, good to know i have to goods.  Cheesy

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »