Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 09:31:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227928 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR albums and Warrant
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR albums and Warrant  (Read 51369 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »

I'm definitely interested in new music, and what's next but I know the difference between wants and needs and will support the band regardless. I am not so clueless, deceived and naive to think they should operate on my schedule. When a new release is ready I will buy it, when new shows are announced I will go.

Yeah, we all will.  If you are still online talking about this band in 2014 (especially at this particular board) you are still all in. 

This narrative that anyone uttering a critical word about the band is doing so because their lack of productivity has ground our real lives to a stand still is preposterous.  No one is not sleeping and scrawling stuff on the walls like 'A Beautiful Mind' because Axl can't get it together.

We just talk about what goes on.  What goes on is that this band doesn't do much.  That's not whining.  Its being minimally observant.  And when circumstances change, so will the reaction.

Unless you already think everything is awesome.  Which, sorry, makes no sense.  It was cooler in 2006 when they started touring and in 2008 when the album came out than it was from 2003-2005 when we heard nothing, literally nothing about this band.  To say everything was constant during all that time is pretty silly.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:20:21 AM by D-GenerationX » Logged

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »

A few months ago I interviewed a member of Warrant. It was very enlightening. He was like, "yeah, we were big rock stars back then." But now he makes wine as his day job. On the weekends, he tours under the Warrant banner, more as a hobby that he can make a few extra bucks at than as a "I'm a famous musician!" type of thing. But Warrant isn't who he is day to day. And they put on a great little show.

Maybe that's what it is for GNR.

No.  Anything having to do with Warrant will never be "what it is for GNR."  GNR, its music, and some of its members/former members are iconic.  Icons don't have day jobs, other than collecting royalty checks due to their art being a permanent fixture in the world's consciousness.  However active or inactive the band may be in the future will never change that. 
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »

Well, maybe the whole point is that some people choose to live their likes like every year since 2008 has been like 2003 all over year after year with nothing going on.... When in reality that's not even remotely the case!

Maybe some could relate to some of the endless whining a decade ago, but it's obvious that the constant whining for the sake of whining has lost its (never present) allure to some in the previous decade....

In other words, it's fucking boring to read the same people whine year after year about how nothing happens just because they don't get what they want.

We're sorry that you can't get that much needed missing piece of the puzzle that you call your life. We all want a new album, but it seems some aren't as dependent on it as others are. They seem to manage fine without having to vent about it day after day and turn everything positive into the same fucking boring tirade about how there's still no new album.

One thing is for certain. The next GN'R album will be the best the band has ever made. It must be. No other album has been this "needed" before. It's like giving a glass of water to the person who didn't drink for weeks. Best glass of water ever!

Yeah, I'm joking. We all know the drill. We've been there already and know how it all went down last time GN'R released and album some fans "needed".....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2014, 11:40:54 AM »

2003-2005 was so damn grim.  Sure looked like it was all over.

But just because the album eventually came out in 2008 doesn't mean they "showed us" or "proved the haters wrong".  It just means it eventually came out.  2003-2005 don't retroactively become better in hindsight.

I guess that's more my point here.  After all of 2003 and 2004 went with near total radio silence from the operation, you were not somehow out of line to say in 2005 that it looks over.  That is what the facts on the ground indicated at the time. 

The fact it got back on track was great, but that doesn't mean that anyone that spent 2003-2005 assuring "the haters" everything was fine are up for sainthood.  The same applies today.  If the next album comes out in 2017, can you really say you "called it"?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2014, 12:07:31 PM »

One thing is for certain. The next GN'R album will be the best the band has ever made. It must be. No other album has been this "needed" before. It's like giving a glass of water to the person who didn't drink for weeks. Best glass of water ever!

Yeah, I'm joking. We all know the drill. We've been there already and know how it all went down last time GN'R released and album some fans "needed".....

Yeah, we all listened to it and liked it.  The people that shit on it weren't going to give it a chance regardless. 

You sure seem spent an inordinate amount of time on those last causes. 

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »

The album came out, how did that not prove everybody, who said it would never come out, wrong?

With that kind of thinking, those idiots are always winning.... Since they can never be proven wrong!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »

I'm definitely interested in new music, and what's next but I know the difference between wants and needs and will support the band regardless. I am not so clueless, deceived and naive to think they should operate on my schedule. When a new release is ready I will buy it, when new shows are announced I will go.

Yeah, we all will.  If you are still online talking about this band in 2014 (especially at this particular board) you are still all in. 

This narrative that anyone uttering a critical word about the band is doing so because their lack of productivity has ground our real lives to a stand still is preposterous.  No one is not sleeping and scrawling stuff on the walls like 'A Beautiful Mind' because Axl can't get it together.

We just talk about what goes on.  What goes on is that this band doesn't do much.  That's not whining.  Its being minimally observant.  And when circumstances change, so will the reaction.

Unless you already think everything is awesome.  Which, sorry, makes no sense.  It was cooler in 2006 when they started touring and in 2008 when the album came out than it was from 2003-2005 when we heard nothing, literally nothing about this band.  To say everything was constant during all that time is pretty silly.

Just because you don't know what is going on doesn't mean nothing is happening, so I'm not sure how you are making all these "intelligent observations" when you are not privvy to first hand information, nor should you be.

I choose to remain optimistic,  the recent interviews with everyone (except Ron) have been upbeat and mentioned new music and I'm looking forward to this when it is deemed ready to be released.

Not understanding why you seem to think "everything was cooler in 2006" . I honestly think you are pulling reasons to be overly critical and negative out of your lower colon and it is boring not to mention a downer to read your posts constantly complaining or continually and redundantly finding something negative to harp on.

You aren't the only one doing that, so don't feel like I'm singling you out.I'm addressing you because you chose to respond here peace

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2014, 03:28:56 PM »

The album came out, how did that not prove everybody, who said it would never come out, wrong?

With that kind of thinking, those idiots are always winning.... Since they can never be proven wrong!

Well, we are getting a bit into semantics here.  If those are your parameters, yes, I suppose so.

My point was more that if your faith wavered during 3 looooooooooooong years of silence, you aren't a terrible person.  And I don't see how an album that eventually came out in 2008 retroactively means that if you doubted in those 3 years, you can go fuck yourself or are some fake fan.  The doubt in 2005-05 was justified given the disastrous 2002 tour, band defections, and lack of any communication with anyone in the operation.

If you asked me in 2003-05 if the album was ever coming out, I'd say it looks like a longshot and I would really doubt it.  But that is not the same thing as saying its never, ever, ever coming out, and you can take that to the bank.

Is it?

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2014, 03:33:21 PM »

Albums are not as lucrative and profitable as they once were, so releasing a new album would have to be undertaken carefully and cautiously.

The latest data from Nielsen Soundscan, tracking album sales, singles sales, airplay, streams, and digital downloads for the six month period from 30th December, 2013 through to 29th June, 2014 shows a general trend in the American music sector that mirrors Australia?s 2013 sales year, it?s worst decline ever.

Generally, while the revenue from digital music sales and subscription based streaming platforms continues to grow, the concern is that it doesn?t seem to be happening at a pace quick enough to offset the sharp decline from physical music.

As Billboard reports, compared to last year, the first six months of 2014 saw overall album sales dropping 14.9%, from 235 million (in 2013) to 227 million. That includes digital album sales, which reached 113.2 million units in the first half of 2014, a decline of 15.9 million from the 129 million tallied in the equivalent sales period in 2013.

All the more depressing when you consider last year?s album sales hit an all-time low, dropping to the worst stretch in album sales in the 20 years since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales.

We are the only fanbase in the world that goes down this road.

Artists release albums every week of every year.  From the biggest of big time acts, right on down to indie start-ups.  Somehow, they do so, despite the downturn in album sales that only GNR fans are hip to.

People that constantly whine and complain about everything that is wrong instead of everything that is right are boring  and have tunnel vision IMO.

And you dont get to define what constitutes a fan or makes one less of a fan, some seem to feel it is their public duty to constantly complain about different issues, to voice their displeasure at every turn, and to offer unwanted amateur armchair quarterback advice about how the band should operate.

I dont consider this type of person a fan at all IMO Wink

Reconcile those two lines in bold for me.  Is this part of a bit you are doing about the chronically self unaware?  A statement on irony?  Break it down.

As for what a terrible fan I am, my sig is what I think.  If you want to live in a world where we just praise everything that happens and would rather not talk about the inconvenient things that don't, that's your prerogative.  I don't see the point.  You are not a better fan or a more loyal fan because you are a pom-pom waver.  You think it makes you top shelf.  I think it shows an appalling lack of objectivity topped only by the lack of just about all credibility.

"Everything Is Awesome" is a song from a kid's movie.  Its not a realistic credo for life.

And it does not make you a better or more credible peson to moan and groan continuously about percieved wrongs and whine about everything you envision as bad. Cheesy

"Gloom, despair,and agony on me-Deep dark depression excessive misery" was a joke song off of a stupid hillbilly comedy show called "Hee-Haw" but it could well be your theme song here.

peace

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »

Not understanding why you seem to think "everything was cooler in 2006" . I honestly think you are pulling reasons to be overly critical and negative out of your lower colon and it is boring not to mention a downer to read your posts constantly complaining or continually and redundantly finding something negative to harp on.

I think Axl was in better shape (physically and vocally) and the band at that time was a bit tighter.  Just about every bootleg / live clip backs that up when compared to the tours that came after.

I also didn't really understand 2 further years of delay as those suckers were pretty much done.  We waited 2 extra years for a few Ron riffs and Frank drum fills on what were already completed.  Don't dislike what was done, but did that take 2 years?

As to your last point, not to sound flippant, but if what I say bothers you that much, ignore me.  Its not like there is a shortage of others around here telling you everything is swell and we are the luckiest fans in the universe.  Most of those posts annoy me, to be honest.  As a result, I don't spend a lot of time on them.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »

And it does not make you a better or more credible peson to moan and groan continuously about percieved wrongs and whine about everything you envision as bad. Cheesy

You tell me in one line that I don't get to decide who the real fans are.  Then in the next freakin' line, there you are passing judgment on who is worthy and who is not.

If that was a joke, well done.  If that was serious, however...

I'm having a conversation.  Every time one of these threads gets derailed, its because you, or one of the other members of the sunshine brigade, want to stop traffic and tell us that we are out of line.  So we spend 2-3 pages debating what you feel should be talked about and how it should be done.

You send us down this road.  Not me.  Not Ginger King.  Not sofine11.  Not any of we other supposed traitors to the cause.  You.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2014, 03:46:29 PM »

I think Axl was in better shape (physically and vocally) and the band at that time was a bit tighter.  Just about every bootleg / live clip backs that up when compared to the tours that came after.

I also didn't really understand 2 further years of delay as those suckers were pretty much done.  We waited 2 extra years for a few Ron riffs and Frank drum fills on what were already completed.  Don't dislike what was done, but did that take 2 years?

As to your last point, not to sound flippant, but if what I say bothers you that much, ignore me.  Its not like there is a shortage of others around here telling you everything is swell and we are the luckiest fans in the universe.  Most of those posts annoy me, to be honest.  As a result, I don't spend a lot of time on them.

Yawn , there you go again "we waited two extra years" poor, poor you.

I read a very good quote once it went like this:

"If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen, you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does, you might get something that works for you ? in the end you could win on this either way. But if you're really into waiting, try holding your breath for Jesus 'cause I hear the payoff may be that much greater."

Nobody told you to wait, nobody promised you a rose garden and if my posts bother you ignore me  Wink

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2014, 03:53:38 PM »

You tell me in one line that I don't get to decide who the real fans are.  Then in the next freakin' line, there you are passing judgment on who is worthy and who is not.

If that was a joke, well done.  If that was serious, however...

I'm having a conversation.  Every time one of these threads gets derailed, its because you, or one of the other members of the sunshine brigade, want to stop traffic and tell us that we are out of line.  So we spend 2-3 pages debating what you feel should be talked about and how it should be done.

You send us down this road.  Not me.  Not Ginger King.  Not sofine11.  Not any of we other supposed traitors to the cause.  You.

I happen to like jokes, sarcasm and irony, I'm fluent there and  I tend to employ those when dealing with certain kinds of people  Wink

Feel free to stop responding to me and by all means don't let me lead you down any roads- you seem to be enjoying your misery far too much Wink
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:55:28 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »

Yeah, I pretty much didn't leave my house.  Just rocked back in forth in the corner, chanting "Axl is coming...Axl is coming...".

I was obviously speaking from a business perspective.  It made more sense to release an album when you are currently on tour, sounding great, and with the band that actually made the music.  Compare that to releasing it 2 years later after you spent that entire year in hiding, and would do so for the next year as well, before emerging on the far side of the world with no momentum and a different band line-up.  

Its an Option A vs. Option B thing.  Option A made more sense.  Simple as that.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2014, 03:54:44 PM »

I happen to like jokes, sarcasm and irony,I'm fluent there and  I tend to employ those when dealing with certain kinds of people  Wink

Great.  I look forward to seeing some of that.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2014, 04:00:48 PM »

Yeah, I pretty much didn't leave my house.  Just rocked back in forth in the corner, chanting "Axl is coming...Axl is coming...".

I was obviously speaking from a business perspective.  It made more sense to release an album when you are currently on tour, sounding great, and with the band that actually made the music.  Compare that to releasing it 2 years later after you spent that entire year in hiding, and would do so for the next year as well, before emerging on the far side of the world with no momentum and a different band line-up.  

So you are speaking from a business perspective? How interesting, Im sure you have years upon years of experience in the music industry so you are offering up unwanted and unsolicited expert advice and judgement on how to operate a band. How refreshing.

And for a moment I thought you were merely acting like an entitled armchair quarterback, silly me Cheesy

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2014, 04:03:25 PM »

So you are speaking from a business perspective? How interesting, Im sure you have years upon years of experience in the music industry so you are offering up unwanted and unsolicited expert advice and judgement on how to operate a band. How refreshing.

Yep.  I did my undergrad work at the School Of Hard Knocks, then got my masters at Whatsamatta U.

I do consulting work now.

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »

And for a moment I thought you were merely acting like an entitled armchair quarterback, silly me Cheesy

Yeah, it?s super hard to figure out they could?ve gone about the release process of CD a bit differently.  You totally need an advanced business degree for that one.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2014, 05:25:46 PM »

Yeah, it?s super hard to figure out they could?ve gone about the release process of CD a bit differently.  You totally need an advanced business degree for that one.

Fascinating, so how many successful CDs or albums have you released?
I know that is "totally" a "super hard" question Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:27:34 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »

Fascinating, so how many successful CDs or albums have you released?

Do you comment on politics?  Ah, you must be a President. 

How about on sports?  Then you must be an athlete.

See how silly that sounds? 

That's just a way to shut down a conversation you don't want to have because the facts aren't on your side.  You must see this. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: