Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 09:04:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227928 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR albums and Warrant
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR albums and Warrant  (Read 51369 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »

Or...flipside, don't freak the fuck out like a overprotective stage mother when someone is critical about a clip of a rock band on the internet.

So, you know...two schools.

Being constructively critical and only seeking to find where there's fault are two different things also even about a clip of a rock band on the internet.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2014, 03:53:58 PM »

Or...flipside, don't freak the fuck out like a overprotective stage mother when someone is critical about a clip of a rock band on the internet.

So, you know...two schools.

Being constructively critical and only seeking to find where there's fault are two different things also even about a clip of a rock band on the internet.

Really?

Well, I have to ask.  What do you consider to be constructive and valid criticism?  Because I have to tell you, I've been posting with you almost a year now, and I struggle to think of even on instance you either deemed criticism as in bounds, nor didn't try to run anyone off who ever said anything but a gushing valentine.

So, what are we talking about?  What's constructive and valid, as you see it?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »

I never claimed perfection, there are lots of fuck ups. 2014 GNR in my mind was far supperior to the 2008 GNR I saw.
As far as clips go....i've seen good, i've seen bad.  Do clips always do justice....Hell NO!

Clips give you one point of view and are limited to the technology.  Being there allows you to have multiple views and ins't constrained by the technology.

I do think some people expect perfection, which I think is a joke....it is Rock N Roll.
I've said it before....perfection is more for an opera or symphony, hard rock is more about the experience and performance energy.

I hope we get to see a 2015 residency.....actually I hope we get a New Years performance.....that would be awesome!

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2014, 04:11:54 PM »

IMO, constructive and valid is when the reasoning behind the criticism is articulated and that it also takes into consideration the entirety of the song/performance.

Example:
Invalid IMO:  Axl sounded horrible in that NR clip!!!
Valid IMO:  Axl's voice was fucked up at the end of that NR clip!!!

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »

I do think some people expect perfection, which I think is a joke....it is Rock N Roll.
I've said it before....perfection is more for an opera or symphony, hard rock is more about the experience and performance energy.

Oh, I don't think people expect perfection.  Live music is often imperfect.

I just don't see the logic of reacting to a bad performance of one song by saying how great one sounded 45 minutes earlier.  Aren't they 2 different topics?  Can't 'It's So Easy' be great AND 'Prostitute' be a little off?  And if you dare say anything bad about 'Prostitute', must you preface it by lauding 'It's So Easy' first?

Does that make sense to anybody?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #205 on: September 02, 2014, 04:16:27 PM »

IMO, constructive and valid is when the reasoning behind the criticism is articulated and that it also takes into consideration the entirety of the song/performance.

Example:
Invalid IMO:  Axl sounded horrible in that NR clip!!!
Valid IMO:  Axl's voice was fucked up at the end of that NR clip!!!

I don't see a hell of a lot of difference, frankly.

Its THAT important that you specify he only sounded off for 10 seconds?  That's your barometer?  Your first example is that much of a grave insult?

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #206 on: September 02, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »

I just don't see the logic of reacting to a bad performance of one song by saying how great one sounded 45 minutes earlier.  Aren't they 2 different topics?  Can't 'It's So Easy' be great AND 'Prostitute' be a little off?  And if you dare say anything bad about 'Prostitute', must you preface it by lauding 'It's So Easy' first?

It makes sense if you only post what was 'off' and never say anything ever about what was 'right'

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #207 on: September 02, 2014, 04:22:13 PM »

He's not watching us.  You realize this, right?  He's not coming down from above to smite me for my insolence, nor to reward you for your "loyalty".  He doesn't know we exist.

You take exception every time someone labels a critic to be a troll who is miserable with their life, yet you have no problem labeling fans who choose to stay positive and optimistic about the band as delusional fan boys/girls who hope Axl is watching and will reward them for their cheerleading.  

Can't have it both ways.  Nobody knows one another personally here, so on both sides nobody should be (mis)judging anyone on a personal level.  
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2014, 04:24:45 PM »

It makes sense if you only post what was 'off' and never say anything ever about what was 'right'

But lauding absolutely everything, and never is heard a discouraging word...that's all good in the hood.  Come on now.

No, there is room for both.  Fans don't have to take some half ass loyalty pledge if they dare choose to point something out that's inconvenient.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2014, 04:25:14 PM »

He's not watching us.  You realize this, right?  He's not coming down from above to smite me for my insolence, nor to reward you for your "loyalty".  He doesn't know we exist.

You take exception every time someone labels a critic to be a troll who is miserable with their life, yet you have no problem labeling fans who choose to stay positive and optimistic about the band as delusional fan boys/girls who hope Axl is watching and will reward them for their cheerleading.  

Can't have it both ways.  Nobody knows one another personally here, so on both sides nobody should be (mis)judging anyone on a personal level.  

Yeah, but I'm 70% kidding.

But yes, overall, I agree with you.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:30:20 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »

But lauding absolutely everything, and never is heard a discouraging word...that's all good in the hood.  Come on now.

No, there is room for both.  Fans don't have to take some half ass loyalty pledge if they dare choose to point something out that's inconvenient.

Pot/Kettle.

Just as there are some fans who laud absolutely everything, so are there some fans that criticize absolutely everything.

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »

Its THAT important that you specify he only sounded off for 10 seconds?  That's your barometer?  Your first example is that much of a grave insult?

It's only THAT important if you want people to take your critiques as fair.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »

Pot/Kettle.

Just as there are some fans who laud absolutely everything, so are there some fans that criticize absolutely everything.

I think you'd have a FAR easier time finding instances where I was positive than we could some of you really stepping up and saying the opposite.

I'd have zero problem taking that Pepsi challenge.

And this doesn't even get into percentages, which would be HEAVILY skewed in my favor.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #213 on: September 02, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »

Q :"Did you catch 'November Rain' from last night's show?  Yeah, Axl was a little dodgy."

A : "What do you mean?  Which parts?  Are you saying he was terrible from minute one straight through?  Or was he generally on form, but just a few bad moments?  How unfair are you with your generalities?  I need some clarification, preferably to the second.  And how come you can't talk about 'Mr. Brownstone', anyway?"

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #214 on: September 02, 2014, 04:57:11 PM »

I think you'd have a FAR easier time finding instances where I was positive than we could some of you really stepping up and saying the opposite.

I'd have zero problem taking that Pepsi challenge.

And this doesn't even get into percentages, which would be HEAVILY skewed in my favor.

For me personally, I only post on HTGTH because I want to focus on the positives of what my fav band is doing.  I know the people in the band/crew/etc are human like me and 'perfection' is impossible.  I see no reason to focus on what went wrong when I can enjoy all the things that went right.

That being said, when I read what is IMO unfair or uncalled for criticism, I'm more often than not going to call that out.

Q :"Did you catch 'November Rain' from last night's show?  Yeah, Axl was a little dodgy."

A : "What do you mean?  Which parts?  Are you saying he was terrible from minute one straight through?  Or was he generally on form, but just a few bad moments?  How unfair are you with your generalities?  I need some clarification, preferably to the second.  And how come you can't talk about 'Mr. Brownstone', anyway?"

Considering this IS a forum meant for that type of discussion, I find that response to be appropriate.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:58:45 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

mortismurphy
« Reply #215 on: September 02, 2014, 05:26:44 PM »

A forum which subsisted on, solely positivity, would be like Play School, Sesame Street (or CBeebies if you live in the UK): ''be happy, make threads, let's all be nice''. A bit of criticism never hurt anyone, or, as we say in England, ''piss pulling'' - ''pulling the piss''. Where is the humour and irony going to come from amidst, a tedious 'love in'?
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #216 on: September 02, 2014, 05:50:27 PM »

A bit of criticism never hurt anyone
That's true as long as the criticism is fair and open for opposing views and discussion.

Where is the humour and irony going to come from amidst, a tedious 'love in'?
Constant negativity is also tedious and nonconstructive and where 'humor and irony' tends to be more like malicious personal attacks. 

mortismurphy
« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »

You have never put mygnr on and laughed at some of the stuff on there, although, deep down, you know a lot of it is 'below the belt' and a bit tasteless?
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #218 on: September 02, 2014, 06:04:31 PM »

You have never put mygnr on and laughed at some of the stuff on there, although, deep down, you know a lot of it is 'below the belt' and a bit tasteless?

I'm not member of mygnr and I normally don't check out their forum unless someone posts a link here.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #219 on: September 02, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »

For me personally, I only post on HTGTH because I want to focus on the positives of what my fav band is doing.

No doubt.  Me too.  Gotta come here for that bit.

Do you at least see how the other lives though?  Read but not post, maybe? 

Some of it absolutely unproductive, but a lot of it is just goofy.  I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me laugh several times a day.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: