Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 03:16:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Matt Sorum Interview Minneapolis Star Tribune
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matt Sorum Interview Minneapolis Star Tribune  (Read 3722 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: August 24, 2007, 06:31:30 PM »

Music: Bittersweet homecoming

By Jon Bream, Star Tribune

Last update: August 24, 2007 ? 4:17 PM

Velvet Revolver's return engagement Wednesday in St. Paul will be special for the Sorums because the drummer will honor his brother who died of brain-stem cancer in March at age 11. Some proceeds from the concert will go the Daniel J. Sorum Scholarship Fund, to be given to a student from the Community Christian School he attended in Willmar.

"I'm getting ready to go on the radio on 93X, where fans can call in and sell some tickets to the concert and whoever sells the most will come back and meet the band," said Sorum, 46, who clearly knows his way around Minnesota. "And we're going to throw an after-show banquet where people can pay a nominal fee that's going to go toward the scholarship for some kid to go to college."

The Los Angeles drummer usually makes it to Minnesota twice a year. The trip for Daniel's funeral was especially tough.

"I flew in, landed and turned around and flew into New York the next day," he said, "because I had a gig there -- at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; we inducted Van Halen."

As a kid in California, Sorum often spent his summers in Minnesota, with his grandparents in Edina and at their lake home in Spicer. Rock 'n' roll homecomings have always been special for him.

"It's been that way since I was in the Cult and came up there to play with Metallica at Met Center in 1989," he said Monday from Philadelphia. "I called my dad up in Paynesville, Minn., and said, 'I'm playing at the Met Center.' He said, 'What do you mean the Met Center? The Met Center Met Center?' And I said, 'Yeah,' and he said, 'Wow!'

"I just remember all my aunts and uncles and cousins and my great-aunt, who lived in Willmar, coming down."

The following year, Sorum replaced Steven Adler in Guns N' Roses for a wild seven-year ride at the pinnacle of decadent rock 'n' roll. In 2002, he co-founded Velvet Revolver with ex-GNR members Duff McKagan and Slash plus ex-Stone Temple Pilots vocalist Scott Weiland.

This summer, the Grammy-winning band released its second album, "Libertad." Sorum is very pleased with the results. "It's a more musical record," he said. "'Contraband' was a straightforward rock 'n' roll album, a lot more aggressive. We felt our first album had a modern sound; we didn't want to be taken as a retro act. Now we wanted to show a little more of our roots and our musicianship.

"We had a great experience working together as a band in the studio on this record. It was probably the best we've ever gotten along."

Among the songs that stand out are "Last Fight" and "For a Brother," which Weiland reportedly wrote about his brother who died of a drug overdose.

"Scott has his interpretation because he's writing the lyrics," Sorum said. "Those have different meaning for me than probably for Scott."

Gossip run wild

Quotes from Sorum in a recent Rolling Stone magazine made it sound as if the about-to-implode Velvet Revolver was ready for a VH1 "Behind the Music" episode after only two albums. The prominent article prompted a band meeting.

"A lot of that stuff I said was taken out of context," the drummer explained. "We're getting along pretty good right at this moment. We have days here and there where we have a beef just like anyone else who might be in a working relationship or like a relationship with a husband and wife. It's about 10 million times better than when it used to be when Guns N' Roses was running back in the day where everything was so dramatic all the time."

What does Sorum make of rumors, as that Rolling Stone story suggested, that GNR and STP might reunite?

"We don't know anything about it," he said. "I'm sure our managers and agents and everybody else probably have got something up their sleeves. We're so in Velvet Revolver right now; we're booked on this tour for another year. [The reunions] are not going to happen anytime soon. There's never been any mention of it between us."

Complete article: http://www.startribune.com/music/story/1379492.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 06:59:43 PM »

What exactly was taken out of context?  That you said Axl was jealous of your band or that you don't think the world is waiting for an STP reunion?  Or was it that you said you and Scott barely talk?

Ali
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 08:22:32 AM »

There is another article in the Star Trib or the Pioneer Press saying that both Alice In Chains and Velvet Revolver will be doing an after party at The Fine Line after the show at the Excel Center.   And I'll be having an after-after party at my place a few blocks from The Fine Line if anyone is looking for something else to do.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 01:40:40 AM »

New frontmen, good concert for Revolver, Alice in Chains

Alice in Chains stole thunder from the supergroup at Xcel.

By Chris Riemenschneider, Star Tribune

Last update: August 30, 2007 ? 12:02 AM

Turns out, maybe the frontman isn't the most important guy in a rock band.

That seemed to be the assertion, anyway, of Wednesday night's Xcel Energy Center concert with Velvet Revolver and Alice in Chains, two groups of '80s/'90s hard-rock vets who managed to climb out of holes left by MIA singers.

Granted, Velvet Revolver -- featuring three of Axl Rose's ex-bandmates from Guns 'N Roses -- has another name-brand singer in Scott Weiland, the former mouthpiece of Stone Temple Pilots. Weiland was front and center during most of his band's 110-minute set before a crowd of about 6,000, but he often seemed a distraction to the real star, Slash. The nest-topped guitar hero took the stage in his trademark top-hat and leather jacket and smoked the entire time (on guitar, not cigarettes).

Meanwhile, grunge-era metal band Alice in Chains pulled off the amazing feat of replacing its beloved original singer, Layne Staley, who died of an overdose in 2002. The new guy, William Duvall, was such an unabashed soundalike to Staley, he mostly blended into the background behind guitarist/songwriter Jerry Cantrell's stormy shredding.

Alice in Chain's 50-minute middle-slot performance (Chicago band Kill Hannah opened) was pretty clearly a show-stealer. Even the many non-diehards in attendance seemed impressed by the new guy.

"Them Bones" got fans on their feet near the start of Alice's set, and "Man in the Box" and "Would?" brought their fists into the air near the end. The moody finale, "Rooster," played with video-screen images of George Bush and war footage -- about as far as the band went in updating its show, and nobody complained (except maybe Bush supporters).

Velvet Revolver's set kicked off in the same mighty fashion as its new sophomore CD, "Libertad," with the dirty, grinding rockers "Let It Roll" and "She Mine." From there, though, the show lulled for a half-hour. Weiland tried his best to raise the energy level with his slithery, Jagger-esque dance moves.

The crowd got back into it, starting with STP's "Vasoline," in which Slash let second guitarist Dave Kushner take the solo (hmmm ...). That was followed by a semi-acoustic set that included "Gravedancer" and the band's new should-be hit "The Last Fight," plus a tepid version of STP's "Interstate Love Song" and the GNR requisite "Patience."

The crowd's patience paid off in the encore, which featured GNR's "Mr. Brownstone," STP's "Sex Type Thing" and -- perhaps taking a cue from another band that survived frontman issues -- an elementary but elegant version of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here."

http://www.startribune.com/457/story/1391295.html

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 03:52:36 PM »

I went to the show last night.  They should not be playing that size of venue.  I also wondered how many people where there just to see AIC.  If AIC was not the opener, I think VR would have been lucky to draw 5000.  The first time I saw VR they played at a small venue called the Quest.  The placed was packed and the vibe was rocking, not so much last night.  It was great to see Duff, and especially Slash on stage.  Its unfortunate that my disdain for Wieland made it less enjoyable. I cringe when I see him convulse and contort himself like mic jagger on meth. 

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:04:09 PM »

I agree, I was at the Xcel last night as well, plus was at their two previous Twin Cities concerts, last night was the worst of the three IMO. THe crowd was absolutely dead for VR, no one seemed to know the Libertad songs and no one seemed to care for the Contraband songs, except Slither and Fall To Pieces.  Weiland was the main negative for me last night, that damn megaphone needs to go plus he can't sing the GNR songs well at all. The rest of the band were great to see, Matt and Dave seemed to be enjoying themselves the most, Matt having tons of family there must of helped. The energy level in the crowd for AIC was alot higher, everyone was into them but the first 6-7 songs for VR I barely saw anyone move, it was strange to see no movement in the crowd for the headliner until Vaseline. 
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 04:26:05 PM »

Velvet Revolver?s ammunition

Thursday, August 30th, 2007 by Chris Riemenschneider

Here?s what the supergroup played Wednesday at Xcel Energy Center. Let us know what you thought of the show, and whether you agree that Alice in Chains was the better band of the night. Also, if you made it to the after-party/benefit at the Fine Line afterward, we especially want to hear about that (review deadlines prevented me from going).

Let It Roll  /  She Mine  /  Suckertrain  /  Do It for the Kids  /  Superhuman  /  Big Machine  /  Pills  /  Vasoline  /  Semi-acoustic set: This Fight  / Interstate Love Song  / Patience  /  Gravedancer  /  (all electric again)  Just 16  /  It?s So Easy  /  Get Out the Door  /  Fall to Pieces  /  Quick Machines  /  Set Me Free

Encore: Mr. Brownstone  /  Sex Type Thing  /  Wish You Were Here  /  Slither

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/poplife/?p=397

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:33:17 PM »

How Big Machine is still on setlist is beyond me.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 04:50:59 PM »

The first time I saw VR they played at a small venue called the Quest.? The placed was packed and the vibe was rocking...

I'm a huge advocate of the club/theatre gigs, arena rock shows/festivals are absolutely nothing I have an interest in at this point.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 11:12:19 PM »

Did they have the half-arena set up again like in 2005?  I couldn't make it last night and was sort of in a mixed feeling over it.  Judging from your guys' responses it was about what I expected would happen.....kind of bland but still probably worth it to see Slash and Duff again.  The only two songs that interest me that I haven't seen are Gravedancer and Let it Roll. 

The show at the Quest Club in 2004 is still without a doubt one of the greatest concerts I've been apart of (probably a close second behind the Hammerstein shows).  I don't really understand why they don't get back into the club scene like they did in 04, and just charge more per ticket to make up for lost ticket sales.  I'd gladly spend $140 for a club show compared to $40 for an arena ticket. 

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 12:32:12 AM »

I saw VR the other night, and I thought it was fuckin' great, as did everyone around me, as the crowd was walking out of the venue.? Maybe it's the difference between a Detroit area crowd and Minneapolis, I don't know.? It certainly wasn't "bland", and the arena was packed.     
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:34:19 AM by lynn1961 » Logged
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 12:56:12 AM »

Did they have the half-arena set up again like in 2005?  I couldn't make it last night and was sort of in a mixed feeling over it.  Judging from your guys' responses it was about what I expected would happen.....kind of bland but still probably worth it to see Slash and Duff again. 

No they didn't do the half arena set up, so the opposite end of the first level was mostly empty and the second level had no one. It was about the same amount of people as '05 but looked less full IMO. It was nice to see Slash, Duff and Matt again but really the VR part of the show was dissapointing for me, if they had played Roy Wilkins I think the vibe would have been better.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 04:59:46 PM »

I saw VR the other night, and I thought it was fuckin' great, as did everyone around me, as the crowd was walking out of the venue.  Maybe it's the difference between a Detroit area crowd and Minneapolis, I don't know.  It certainly wasn't "bland", and the arena was packed.     

Looks like it wasn't just the fans...

Velvet Revolver Are An Awesome Cover Band
Show Review by Pat O'Brien

The Xcel Center crowd was only about 6,000 strong last night--just more than half empty--and maybe that should have been a bit of a clue. Velvet Revolver, a band whose members used to be in Guns 'N' Roses (guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum) and Stone Temple Pilots (vocalist Scott Weiland) were exactly who they appeared to be: guys from other, more successful bands. There wasn't much cohesiveness onstage, with Weiland seemingly disengaged from all of the other band members and the rest of them basically phoning it in. Even so, there were a few bright spots. "Fall To Pieces" seems destined to become an anthem of sorts and the set closer "Slither" really jolted everyone to life, though it was at the end of the show and seemed out of place. Most telling, however, was the fact that the show's brightest spots were when VR were playing the hit songs from their previous bands (STP's "Interstate Love Song" and GnR's "It's So Easy" were particularly excellent, though Weiland is no Axl Rose, vocally) and the fact that those songs took up nearly one-third of the setlist indicated that they have some idea about this, too.

The ideas for a big arena-show were there (mid-show acoustic set, Pink Floyd cover during the encore, etc.) but the follow-through was anemic. They resembled an incredibly expensive cover band whose original material is hackneyed, cliched (rain and/or tears washed things away in at least three songs) and just plain bland. If they can play a ton of old material that the fans devour, write a couple of ok songs, and a lot of filler to push the record they can just treat VR like a quick-fix project to keep the money flowing in until something better comes along. The problem with all of that, of course, is if they aren't fully engaged in the band, how is the band supposed to fully engage it's audience?

http://blogs.citypages.com/ctg/2007/09/velvet_revolver.php

RTK
Headliner

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 08:30:49 PM »

This review is the same old same old, they've been pretty much the same since 04.  Of course the fans like the covers, but only because they're playing fan favourites.  Heck, if they'd play Highway to Hell, they'd get a great reaction from the fans too.
Wingman17
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 07:30:31 PM »

I know this is a little late, but did anyone go to the afterparty at the Fineline.  I couldn't make it and was wondering if it was worth the $75. Thanks.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 10:30:35 PM »

I know this is a little late, but did anyone go to the afterparty at the Fineline.  I couldn't make it and was wondering if it was worth the $75. Thanks.

Looks like they auctioned off some good stuff...

Sorum said both Velvet Revolver and openers Alice in Chains should be on hand at the Fine Line - to hang out, not perform - while the silent auction is packed with items Sorum himself solicited from pals.

"It's turning out to be a lot of killer stuff," he said. "Lars from Metallica just sent something and so did Marilyn Manson and some guys from Slayer and the Cult. There's a couple of guitars from Velvet Revolver. Slash is signing one of his top hats. Steve Jones donated some cool vintage Sex Pistols stuff. I've gotten a lot of love from my friends, and that's cool."

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: