Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 11:47:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227844 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What impact will the gh sales have on various matters?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What impact will the gh sales have on various matters?  (Read 4668 times)
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« on: April 23, 2004, 12:26:33 AM »

I'm kinda curious as to what everybody thinks a good selling greatest hits will do for guns n' roses? Make the record company push axl even harder? axl gains more confidence knowing there is still a large fan base? axl things it's great that even though he is opposed to the release, he's still getting a little extra cash. Also where do you think the sales will end up say for the end of the year u.s and worldwide? It is very close to gold in the u.s already, so i'm thinking it just may reach platinum status which would be very cool, don't know if anyone has counted, but it may already have sold a million worldwide.

What Goes around comes around!
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 12:34:05 AM »

I don't think it will do much to make AXL himself release the album, but i think the record company will want a finish product by years end to maybe get CD and the GH in the top 20 albums

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
badapple81
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 02:26:00 AM »

Well the GH has been enormous, much more than expected.

But it's a blown and wasted chance.

The enormous success and chart promotion set it all up for Axl to release Chinese Democracy around RIR4, following on from the GH popularity. It was just perfect and just the right time.

Will it will spur Axl on? Maybe even the opposite - maybe he'll go even slower and take his time even more so - just to defy the record company and their pushing - and show them that it's done on his terms, not theirs  Huh
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 04:06:25 AM »

The funny thing is Axl keeps getting perfect opportunities to release the album, and each time we say he's blown it another chance appears

1999 - Live era and Oh My God
2001-2003 - VMA and tour got GNR alot of press attention
2004 - GH

He really needs to release it now....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 04:13:30 AM »

Well obviously the Greatest Hits, not to mention the hype surrounding Velvet Revolver, has created momentum for the Guns N' Roses name.  

However, common sense should tell you that Greatest Hits success comes entirely from the fact that it has all of GNRs time-tested classic hits on one low-priced disc.  People bought it because they love the old songs...thats all there is to it.  Theres plenty of casual fans who love "November Rain" or "Paradise City" but never bothered to buy the original albums (especially younger fans who might be familiar with the songs but missed the GNR phenomenon).  Greatest Hits success doesnt mean anything when it comes to new material.  The new album wont have 12 classic smash hits that everybody knows and loves - itll have to thrive on its own.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 04:16:00 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 07:28:09 AM »

Well obviously the Greatest Hits, not to mention the hype surrounding Velvet Revolver, has created momentum for the Guns N' Roses name.  

However, common sense should tell you that Greatest Hits success comes entirely from the fact that it has all of GNRs time-tested classic hits on one low-priced disc.  People bought it because they love the old songs...thats all there is to it.  Theres plenty of casual fans who love "November Rain" or "Paradise City" but never bothered to buy the original albums (especially younger fans who might be familiar with the songs but missed the GNR phenomenon).  Greatest Hits success doesnt mean anything when it comes to new material.  The new album wont have 12 classic smash hits that everybody knows and loves - itll have to thrive on its own.
for me that's wrong,because if you like one or two songs,or 12 clasics song,you can get it everywhere on the net.
for me the truth is people love goodrock music,and people need newgnr album
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 09:37:04 AM »

for me that's wrong,because if you like one or two songs,or 12 clasics song,you can get it everywhere on the net.

Correct me if Im wrong, but if that logic held true, nothing would be sold since you can get everything on the net... confused

You obviously want this to mean people "need newgnr album," so I guess youre just going to overlook common sense.  Assuming that people bought a "Greatest Hits" album containing songs no less than a decade old because they want new material...well, thats downright stupidity.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 10:37:40 AM »

Correct me if Im wrong, but if that logic held true, nothing would be sold since you can get everything on the net... confused

You obviously want this to mean people "need newgnr album," so I guess youre just going to overlook common sense.  Assuming that people bought a "Greatest Hits" album containing songs no less than a decade old because they want new material...well, thats downright stupidity.
ok,i understand your point,but.
i don't know how old are you,but you should to know that guns n' roses isn't one album band,gnr is something much much bigger.
my point is that gnr had milions fans in 1987-1993,and many of them was still gnr fans,some of them was quiet gnr fans(as i,i didn't heard anything about gnr since 1995,but when i watched gnr 2001 on mtv,i came back intersest for gnr.i bought live era 2001).And these guys(old gnr fans) buy GH,and his interest for gnr realiving...
i'm sory my english is bad,but i hope you understand me
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 10:59:57 AM »

I'm sure the success of GH has raised the eyebrows of many industry bean counters. When they look at the Billboard charts and see the name Guns N' Roses right under Usher, whose brand new album is supposedly saving the music business, and they realize that GNR merely has a tossed off compilation, and even this is after a decade of no new material and with little promotion (not to mention, following an embarrassing off-period for the new band), it must occur to these guys there is something different about a "rock band" and Guns N' Roses. I almost wonder if this little power play by the label didn't switch around and give Axl some new leverage.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 11:47:34 AM by Johnnyblood » Logged

I've seen enough.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »

I will tell you something: If "Chinese Democracy" is released "soon", I mean THIS year, somewhere in 2004, It WILL be a Number 1 album in lots of countries in the world for sure. It could really be a huge success. 10/15 million copies worldwide, even more, would be possible. LOOK AT THE GREATEST HITS, 1 month after its released date, it has already sold nearly 2 million copies worldwide, for just 4 or 5 weeks!! and this is not new material. The Promo for Chinese Democracy will be MUCH bigger and it will be new material so...
Guns n' Roses haven't done anything in 2004 and they are the number 1 Rock selling band in the world as we speak now. without doing anything. So Chinese Democracy is likely to be enormous. believe me, sales figures are going to blow away everybody on this message board.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 01:12:15 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 01:18:58 PM »

I will tell you something: If "Chinese Democracy" is released "soon", I mean THIS year, somewhere in 2004, It WILL be a Number 1 album in lots of countries in the world for sure. It could really be a huge success. 10/15 million copies worldwide, even more, would be possible. LOOK AT THE GREATEST HITS, 1 month after its released date, it has already sold nearly 2 million copies worldwide, for just 4 or 5 weeks!! and this is not new material. The Promo for Chinese Democracy will be MUCH bigger and it will be new material so...
Guns n' Roses haven't done anything in 2004 and they are the number 1 Rock selling band in the world as we speak now. without doing anything. So Chinese Democracy is likely to be enormous. believe me, sales figures are going to blow away everybody on this message board.
i agree with you man.
Guns n roses are much bigger than every new rnr from90 or 2000.
and with good first single,and i'm sure gnr have it(i think the blues and madagascar are amazing songs) ,and newgnr album will be album of the year
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 01:29:25 PM »

Greatest Hits success doesnt mean anything when it comes to new material.  The new album wont have 12 classic smash hits that everybody knows and loves - itll have to thrive on its own.
For the most part i agree. BUt what the GH album sales mean that the same people who bought the gh album will be buying cd.

I look at it liek this:
1)The hardcore GNR fan-{People who have roamed the message boards, and have followed the soap opera on a regular basis for a few years now}- I would say about 99% of these people are going to buy CD. Only a few peopel who detest Axl and this new band so much will not buy it. But even the "hater"or skeptics" will buy it.

2)The casual GNr fan- This person has stopped following gnr right around 95. MOst people in this group are aware of the new lineup but have not been exposed to the "delays", false starts, rumors etc on a daily basis. These people will buy the album if the new material is good.

3)The casual rock/music fan- Poeple who are not wrapped up in the old vs new situation. They just want good music. SO if the new band delivers good/great new music, they will buy CD.

My point in mentioning these groups is because of this
I will tell you something: If "Chinese Democracy" is released "soon", I mean THIS year,
That imo, is false. CD will do very well in intial album sales. Whetehr it stays at a high level is totally on the material.
Cd is a highly anticipated album. ALthough some people mock the years it has taken to be released, people will buy it. Simply if anything out of curiosity. That alone will drive up the album sales.
Everyone keeps saying "oh axl has to release cd now because its the perfect time" although some times might seem perfect, in essecnce it really doesnt matter. GNr can release the album whenever they want. HYpe, promotion, the first single and video, curisoy will carry the album the first few months. Th ematerial will determine whether its a classic album or just an average album

worldwide sales will be even greater than us sales. People in europe,sa etc love gnr. and are extrmely loyal.

trust me the album sales will not be a problem for this album. Its the content that will be the judge of its greatness or lack there of. Gnr and the company will definatley get thier investments back. The material will determine the important things.....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 02:07:52 PM »

By listenning to the 3 studio cuts on Boston Promo, we could be only very optimistic about the quality of the album "Chinese Democracy". It seriously kicks ass...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 07:16:30 AM by nesquick » Logged

MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 04:45:19 PM »

By listenning to the 3 studio cuts on Boston Promo, we could be only very optimistic about the quality. It seriously kicks ass...

Hell yeah!!!!! I've listened to that millions of times

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2004, 05:21:58 PM »

Thats a lot. But seriously, I think this is probably a lot like what the Star Wars DVDs will be representing.They will help fill in the gap, and push some heavy promotion when the time comes that the new  one (ep. 3) will be released.

I just hope CD comes way way fuckin earlier than May 2005 like SW.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 05:30:51 PM »

Hell yeah!!!!! I've listened to that millions of times

me too. 3 studio cuts, 3 potencial Hits for me. The sound, the whole production sounds enormous. It is very short, 15 seconds no more, but it is enought for me to see there is a lot of potencial. I repeat it, the whole production sounds KILLER.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 05:32:51 PM by nesquick » Logged

ccorn69
VIP

Dreaming and waiting

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 05:56:44 PM »

I want Chinese Democracy, i want it now crying

peace  peace

Thats not Stardust on my feet...
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2004, 09:31:38 PM »

The question is really whether or not NAME POWER will carry CD. I doubt the success of GH will affect Axl one way or the other...he didnt want it out, he goes at his own (bizzare, fucked up) pace....I think VR would spur Axl on more than GH.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: