Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:43:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses:The most popular band in the world in 2004
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses:The most popular band in the world in 2004  (Read 6583 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« on: April 24, 2004, 11:59:07 AM »

hey guys, do you realise that fact? yes, Guns n' Roses have been the most popular and the biggest Rock selling band in the world since the begining of the year 2004. Both "greatest Hits" and Tokyo DVD's are selling very well. Number 1 in lots of countries and a top 5 in almost every countries in the world. What is really amazing is that this band is not in activity right now. IN fact...it's just about the past! with a 10/15 years old material, Guns n' Roses is kicking every other Rock band ass right now.
IT IS TIME to release "Chinese Democracy". It is time to make a huge wave for Guns n' Roses "new generation". Sales figures will follow without any doubt. People are asking Guns n' Roses. They want Guns n' Roses.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 12:03:10 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 12:02:41 PM »

I think what you meant to say was people are asking for the REAL Guns N' Roses.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 12:05:05 PM »

I don't think so. I think people are much open-minded than we think. I think they will buy "chinese democracy" even if it is not with the original band. They will be curious...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 12:06:23 PM by nesquick » Logged

Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 02:11:42 PM »

Its time to release Chinese Democracy MOTHER FUCKER! beer

EEEERRRR Little boy
ccorn69
VIP

Dreaming and waiting

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 02:49:18 PM »

its been time for a while buddy,

peace peace

Thats not Stardust on my feet...
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 05:39:22 PM »

hey guys, do you realise that fact? yes, Guns n' Roses have been the most popular and the biggest Rock selling band in the world since the begining of the year 2004. Both "greatest Hits" and Tokyo DVD's are selling very well. Number 1 in lots of countries and a top 5 in almost every countries in the world. What is really amazing is that this band is not in activity right now. IN fact...it's just about the past! with a 10/15 years old material, Guns n' Roses is kicking every other Rock band ass right now.
IT IS TIME to release "Chinese Democracy". It is time to make a huge wave for Guns n' Roses "new generation". Sales figures will follow without any doubt. People are asking Guns n' Roses. They want Guns n' Roses.

I suppose your right - GNR are still huge (god only knows how big they were in their prime - i was far to young to remember)

If Axl ever realeases a new album they will be huge again

Quick! To the bandwagon!
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 05:52:51 PM »

I do believe you have a good point at that the timing was right until fuckhead left
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 05:56:15 PM »

i was far too young to remember

I remember. they were 10 times bigger than today. do you see Eminem? ok, twice bigger and that gives you Guns n' Roses back in the days. I was very young but I remember. They were everywhere, especially in 1992, it was the top of their career, You can't imagine how popular they were. It was really impressive. In Paris (because I live in Paris), I remember that every single day I saw Guns n' Roses tee-shirts in the streets, at school, EVERYWHERE. I told you, twice bigger than Eminem in rap music, even more. It was great but it was so big that it nearly destroyed them. They sold-out stadiums all over the world at every concert back in the days. just look at the estranged video and you'll see it by yourself. The record sales speak for themself: 80 million albums sold in a so short period of time is unbelieavable. Remember that Guns n' Roses only stayed 5/6 years together in fact, 1987-1993, no more, and 90% of their record sales were done during this period... So yeah, it was massively impressive.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 06:09:38 PM by nesquick » Logged

Rachel
Opening Act

I LOVE AXL

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 06:58:10 AM »

Most of those songs have used the original line up which shows that ppl want the original guns becasue they were the ones thhat ruled!

Rachel
Evil Ash
Dude, they peed on your fucking rug
VIP

GnR is unstoppable, but delay-able ;)

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 07:03:25 AM »

I don't really care if the are popular or not, if chinese democracy is released and I like it, then I don't give a fuck how much it sells! Sure, it's nice to have a nr 1 album, but that doesn't matter to me...

I'd rather see GnR in a club then in an arena cuz that way it's much more interactive, and maybe Axl won't be the big egohead he was before and he'll get his feet back on the ground!

If I think about it, i do care! I don't want them to be as popular as back in the old days  peace

Like peeing clouds!
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 08:48:36 AM »

A couple quick things here:

1.  I still maintain that the vast majority of people don't know the lineup has changed.  That's beginning to change with the TV ads for Velvet Revolver, but most people I know, including the ones who work at the radio stations I do, haven't heard of VR yet.  As far as the general public knows, Gn'R has just been absent from the scene.  The GH has sold well because people are hungry for good rock songs, and many still associate the Gn'R name with that.

2.  Izzy...to show how big the band was, I remember the 1991 year-end review issue of Rolling Stone.  Not only were the UYI twins named Record of the Year (in the article, it said that the albums would've taken that title even if they'd never been released), but Gn'R had its own segment in the issue.  The way the magazine was set up, there was a  month-by-month breakdown of the year, with major happenings discussed, and a few other "chapters", such as "Videos", "Tours", and....."Guns n' Roses".  It talked about their incredible popularity, amazing artistic growth and musicianship, and credited them with the resurrection of rock n' roll.  I was nineteen at the time...the band pretty much ruled the world.  Old ladies were humming "Don't Cry" in the supermarket.  Quite a time.

I think they can do it again, btw.
/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 09:30:37 AM »

Back in 1992 I was 13 years old and like I said before, besides my grandma, EVERYONE own the Use Your Illusion albums. Wait a tick.......... She did have 'em!!!!!! beer

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 10:02:20 AM »

I remember. they were 10 times bigger than today. do you see Eminem? ok, twice bigger and that gives you Guns n' Roses back in the days. I was very young but I remember. They were everywhere, especially in 1992,

I remember too, I was fifteen when Appetite came out.  And it ruled the world, it transcended boundaries.  It didn't matter what kind of kid you were, jock, or as we used to say preppie or headbanger, you liked GnR.  1988-1990 were filled with every aspect of the band being discussed, they were followed, the new album was speculated on, I always knew each month that I would find a magazine with a story on them.  

1991-1993 were also huge, but kind of different, the tour made headlines everywhere of course.  I think the peak was after the St. Louis riot, because that made national news.  Like Dan Rather was discussing Axl Rose.  And even magazines that hated Axl, like Spin of course, featured him in at least a little blurb every month.  
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 01:28:12 PM »

Erm, no, like I keep saying, people want what GN'R were, not what they are.

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
MrBen
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 02:04:45 PM »

Erm, no, like I keep saying, people want what GN'R were, not what they are.

The only way you are gonner get that is,

1) strip them of all their money

2) chuck um back together in the 'hell house'

3) erase the last 13 years out of their brains

and cross your fingers..........

Its not going to work!

NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004, 02:54:16 PM »

WTF does it say about rock's current state when a band that has no new material (except for an obscure single in 97) is the hottest topic in hard rock/metal circles right now??

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2004, 03:45:31 PM »

WTF does it say about rock's current state when a band that has no new material (except for an obscure single in 97) is the hottest topic in hard rock/metal circles right now??

Good point!!! 99% of the new bands are untalented wimps that make a lot of noise and say nothing

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
kujo722
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2004, 06:11:12 PM »

Which single are you referencing? Oh My God was in 99 and Sympathy.... was in 94 or 95.

I was stationed in Dhaharan, Saudi Arabia when UYI's came out. Some of us die hards had friends or family members send us copies through the mail, which could take 2 weeks to 2 months. Those of us that got them were very popular. The day that our BX finally received them people were lined up out the door. I should add that the BX was in Khobar Towers (The sight of the bombing in 95 or 96) and there were Americans, Brits, French, and German troops stationed there. All nationalities were represented on line that day.
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2004, 09:38:26 PM »

Which single are you referencing? Oh My God was in 99 and Sympathy.... was in 94 or 95.

Sorry, I was reffering to OMG, and had the date wrong yes

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
noizzynofuture
Rocker

Spread the Virus

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2004, 01:36:03 AM »

Quoting the Donna's (girl group)

"If GNR reunited they'd rule the world "

Probably true but we'll probably never know
SLCPUNK
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2004, 01:38:57 AM »

Quoting the Donna's (girl group)

"If GNR reunited they'd rule the world "

Probably true but we'll probably never know

Agreed.
Death Cube K
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2004, 03:21:13 AM »

Imagine this:

People hear Axl's voice on a brand new song on radio. The song rocks like hell.

The average Joe will go "now that's Guns N Roses, oh my god!"

The average Joe will then hear Velvet Revolver and say "Is Stone Temple Pilots back?"

Now that's as shallow as most people are....hardcore fans doesnt save a band buying their albums...the average moron in the street does and as long as he/she hears Axl Rose it's GNR.

Capiche?

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2004, 03:51:29 AM »

That is pretty true.  It has been so damn long that as long as the song rocks, the average rock fan really won't care if Slash is in the band.  

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: