Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 09:51:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227844 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl and The Law of Diminishing Returns
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl and The Law of Diminishing Returns  (Read 2061 times)
Cool_and_Stressing
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: April 26, 2004, 03:10:13 PM »

Wondering if The Law of Diminishing Returns can be applied to Axl and CD....

Forn the benefit of those not familiar:

An example of diminishing returns in an industrial setting might be a widget factory that features a certain number of square feet of work space and a certain number of machines inside it.

Adding extra man-hours of labor will increase the number of widgets produced, but only within limits. After a certain point, such things as worker fatigue, increasing difficulties in supervising the large work force, more frequent breakdowns by over-utilized machinery, or just plain inefficiency due to overcrowding of the work space begin to take their toll. The marginal returns to each successive increment of labor input get smaller and smaller and ultimately turn negative.

A little nerdy, but still-very applicable to the CD situation.....Axl may very well have worked so long on CD, and had so many band member changes that, basically, the album is not getting any better, and maybe getting worse.....If Axl actually has a lineup in place, would it be the end of the world to just scrap CD......The whole idea of "Chinese Democracy" might just be a giant weight dragging on Axl's shoulders........Maybe record some new material in an almost sloppy, punk work-ethic, f*ck the critics and hit the road....Then take whatever CD demos you have-Blues, Maddy, whatever-and throw them on as bonus footage......

But I think its fair to say that, bottom line, CD aint getting any better, and might be getting worse......
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 03:15:29 PM »

Wondering if The Law of Diminishing Returns can be applied to Axl and CD....

Forn the benefit of those not familiar:

An example of diminishing returns in an industrial setting might be a widget factory that features a certain number of square feet of work space and a certain number of machines inside it.

Adding extra man-hours of labor will increase the number of widgets produced, but only within limits. After a certain point, such things as worker fatigue, increasing difficulties in supervising the large work force, more frequent breakdowns by over-utilized machinery, or just plain inefficiency due to overcrowding of the work space begin to take their toll. The marginal returns to each successive increment of labor input get smaller and smaller and ultimately turn negative.

A little nerdy, but still-very applicable to the CD situation.....Axl may very well have worked so long on CD, and had so many band member changes that, basically, the album is not getting any better, and maybe getting worse.....If Axl actually has a lineup in place, would it be the end of the world to just scrap CD......The whole idea of "Chinese Democracy" might just be a giant weight dragging on Axl's shoulders........Maybe record some new material in an almost sloppy, punk work-ethic, f*ck the critics and hit the road....Then take whatever CD demos you have-Blues, Maddy, whatever-and throw them on as bonus footage......

But I think its fair to say that, bottom line, CD aint getting any better, and might be getting worse......

Very good point, he should just release CD cos too many chefs spoil the broth!

That's a hatrick for Doull
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 03:42:35 PM »

That's a BADASS post.  As something of an economics nerd, I really enjoyed that read.
As a corollary, you could also argue that Axl's incredibly secretive methods, combined with his apparent unwillingness to accept "outside" opinion, has made the process into a closed system.
And ENTROPY increases in a closed system... nervous  Grin

In reality, I think we may end up with a pretty cool meltiing pot of stuff on CD, but  it's fun to wonder about this kind of thing...
/Mike
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 03:55:00 PM by McGann » Logged

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 03:47:14 PM »

That's good, because I wasn't familar with the term...sounds like it should be the album title Grin
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 04:37:06 PM »

Congrats, you passed english 101.   rofl

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Hellraiser Fraser
Headliner

what we have here ...

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 11:49:03 PM »

Hey like the post, a bit of education and thought provoking posts is always more welcome than the insane slagging which goes on at times on here!  Yeah that would be a real unique trick to play if Axl releases some cd tracks as the bonus tracks to whatever he releases, I doubt it, but anything is possible.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: