Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:51:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin's Guitar Playing
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin's Guitar Playing  (Read 28088 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: October 02, 2005, 07:50:05 AM »

Ok. Not to start another Robin vs. Slash vs. Buckethead debate, but i'd like people to listen to this clip of Robin's RIR solo and honestly tell if u think he's a good guitarist or not:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I0P4WTKR
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 09:22:37 AM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 08:01:46 AM »

Here we go boys and girls ....   Shocked

Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 08:05:36 AM »

That clip sucked overall, I'm sure he slaps himself when he hears this back..? Wink from 0:28 till the end is good. But before that is played in the wrong scale. However you should't judge him only by this clip. He sounds great on the patience solo. He has made that one his own. I haven't got a clip of that but that is really great playing (2002 tour). He has had his bad moments but so what. He IS a great guitarist BUT he is specialized in songs alike patience for instance. He makes great soulfull solo's (don't forget his Blues solo, that ones great as well.....sure he fucked it up sometimes on tour....but when he playes it right it's good.......his thing before Paradise City is GREAT... lovely.....really great.... he can do great stuff.....but he isn't suited for all the old songs..... No problem with that..... every guitarist has his specialty....besides......wait for CD. I'm sure he will have great moments on that one

« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 08:12:09 AM by Dont Try Me » Logged

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 08:11:38 AM »

That clip sucked overall, from 0:28 till the end is good. But before that is played in the wrong scale.

Right. A 'professional' guitarist performing before thousands of people plays in the wrong scale, for like 30 seconds. I can understand if he gets a note or two wrong... And this isn't any 'old' song, mind u.  smoking

Fuck 'Em All.
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 08:15:29 AM »

That clip sucked overall, from 0:28 till the end is good. But before that is played in the wrong scale.

Right. A 'professional' guitarist performing before thousands of people plays in the wrong scale, for like 30 seconds. I can understand if he gets a note or two wrong... And this isn't any 'old' song, mind u.? smoking

well, you have a point. It was some kinda jam I guess, somewhat poorly performed but yeah it was theirs. However I ain't gonna kock him down on that just yet..... The jury's still out... (for CD)

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 09:27:06 AM »

why wont people understand that this is Robin`s way to play?
Robin is an alternative guitarist who play in a different way then classic guitarists.
Why do you think Axl choose to have Robin in the band, if he couldent play? This man really can play, and as soon
GNR is back on the screens with new music, im sure Robin will get alot of attention in a positiv way! He mean alot in tomorrows guitarhistory!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 09:44:28 AM »

Most rock n roll guitarists rnt too great live anyway.

Most wear their guitars way too low to play properly. I'm sure thats the case for Robin. I bet he's just fine in the studio.

I mean Slash had some reaaaaaaaaally awful nights live too, and he's playing his own material.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 10:42:55 AM »

why wont people understand that this is Robin`s way to play?

Well, I'm sure u didn't listen to that clip, bcoz if that's the way he plays then we're in a shit load of trouble.  Tongue

Most wear their guitars way too low to play properly. I'm sure thats the case for Robin. I bet he's just fine in the studio.

We'll see...

Fuck 'Em All.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 01:59:34 PM »

Robin can play great. He just had a different style than classic guitar players.

Here is him doing sossego from RIR.
http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1EUCHWG3LZJAY3R9Y3E3D6C4UE
So how is that bad?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
conny
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 02:57:57 PM »

The last time we heard him play was three years ago...  Roll Eyes

We have no idea how good or bad he is today. I'm very curious to hear how he sounds now.

Just listen to "The Blues" from the last tour, if that's what his guitaring is about, I can't wait to hear more.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 03:25:23 PM »

Re: Robin's Guitar Playing

I LOVE Robin's performances with GN'R.  I was just listening to an mp3 collection of all the 'new GN'R' original material and foud myself being pulled into this 'Robin world' which is all his own, open to those who only need feel it.  He is unique and his sound is beautiful.  I am soooo happy he is with GN'R and my anticipation for CD is all the more whet because of him.  love
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 03:33:52 PM »

I was not going to bring slash into this but since people are questing robin being a professional.

Right. A 'professional' guitarist performing before thousands of people plays in the wrong scale, for like 30 seconds. I can understand if he gets a note or two wrong... And this isn't any 'old' song, mind u.? smoking

Oh kinda like slash and him playing his nov rain solo that he wrote?

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0EZ5O4TXSWEMZ0ILR4ISPAE8RX

That is just awful and he wrote the damn thing. Robin NEVER played the nov rain solo or any solo that badly EVER.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
ssm_slash78
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »

That clip really sucked ass although from a lot of the other stuff i've heard him play i think he is quite good...maybe not as good as slash but good none the less
Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 04:07:04 PM »

Slash must have been really drunk on that one...

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 04:11:47 PM »

Live performances are subject to a lot more things variables than that which the controlled studio environment allows.

And GN'R has always been an inconsistent band live.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 04:13:23 PM »

Why is it when slash plays it badly he was drunk? He was not drunk since he played the other songs fine that night. He just really butchered the song. So robin like slash wont always play the solos flawlessly.

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 04:15:24 PM »

hahah , good one.  rofl  (thanks fer the buckethead.tk plug in yer sig btw  ok )

Now , as of now this thread has stayed pretty civil , much more so then what I had originally thought. By now I figured this woulda been locked or dead horsed because of crazy replies , hopefully we can all keep this on topic and discuss robins guitar playing without too much comparison to former members.

Personally I'm betting that stuff he layed down in the studio will be awesome. I dont wanna brag but if axl gave me this much time to lay down solo's in a studio and fix my mistakes I think I could lay down some great shit myself.

Moreover , I urge all robin fans and haters to find the song he and buckethead did for the ghost of mars soundtrack , it's called "love seige" .. try that out and see what you think.  ok

peace gunners.  peace  behave!

A sensible discussion starts now!  Grin

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 04:29:15 PM »

That is just awful and he wrote the damn thing. Robin NEVER played the nov rain solo or any solo that badly EVER.

The Nov. solo is totally different, I agree. But atleast it's in key. The ENTIRE 40 second RIR solo Robin did is way off. If u can't tell the difference between changing a solo and it being in key, I can't help u.

Fuck 'Em All.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 04:37:26 PM »

Live performances are subject to a lot more things variables than that which the controlled studio environment allows.

Exactly. It's only live that ur real guitar skills show (modifying, improvising). It's not easy playing in front of thousands of people. Anybody can do shit in a studio. Heck, when i make mistakes in my recordings, I just keep playing till i get it right and replace my mistakes...

Fuck 'Em All.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 04:50:09 PM »

Re: Robin's Guitar Playing

To borrow a phrase from Axl, "if you don't like it you'll have plenty of time to get used to (it)"    ok

"You?ve got the haters out there but the guys in this band it just rolls off their shoulders because they take a certain pride in their work. They?re hungry and they want to do this for all the right reasons. They want to get this material out there to the people."  Amen to that Axl.   beer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: