Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 03:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227839 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 138008 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #280 on: July 13, 2014, 12:18:04 AM »

Well fuck...

Yadi out 8-12 weeks with torn ligament in his right thumb.

Pilf and Tim can't be doing well with the Tanaka news tonight so I'll cordially invite you 2 to my pity party.

Bring some booze to said party fellas, we're gonna need it.
to
Yeah the news isn't good but its not terrible. There's hope he can rehab since its a very small tear. Dr Andrews was one of the doctors that examined him and even he said no to surgery now and he's the expert. So that gives me hope he can rehab it and continue to pitch. I know there have been some pitchers who have been able to rehab a small tear. So we'll see, even if he does end up needing surgery the bright side is he's only 25. He can still have a long successful career after.

I admire the guy for giving rehab a shot but the odds aren't in his favor unfortunately.

Pitchers are ticking time bombs, they all break at some point.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #281 on: July 13, 2014, 07:47:19 PM »

Well fuck...

Pilf and Tim can't be doing well with the Tanaka news tonight so I'll cordially invite you 2 to my pity party.

to
Yeah the news isn't good but its not terrible. There's hope he can rehab since its a very small tear. Dr Andrews was one of the doctors that examined him and even he said no to surgery now and he's the expert. So that gives me hope he can rehab it and continue to pitch. I know there have been some pitchers who have been able to rehab a small tear. So we'll see, even if he does end up needing surgery the bright side is he's only 25. He can still have a long successful career after.

I admire the guy for giving rehab a shot but the odds aren't in his favor unfortunately.

Pitchers are ticking time bombs, they all break at some point.
If it weren't for James Andrews saying rehab could work too then i'd be more concerned that surgery is needed right now, but we all know this guy is the guy when it comes to this. So if he says he doesn't need surgery i believe him.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #282 on: July 15, 2014, 11:35:54 PM »

The idiot award goes to Adam Wainwright for saying he grooved pitches to Jeter then trying to recant it. Just admit you got beat and move on. What about the next two guys who drilled the ball. You just had a shitty inning plain and simple. Also, no mention of Tony Gwynn? Pathetic!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:40:14 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #283 on: July 16, 2014, 12:57:52 AM »

The idiot award goes to Adam Wainwright for saying he grooved pitches to Jeter then trying to recant it. Just admit you got beat and move on. What about the next two guys who drilled the ball. You just had a shitty inning plain and simple. Also, no mention of Tony Gwynn? Pathetic!

He wasn't recanting to cover his ass on getting beat, he was clarifying to diffuse the idea he grooved a couple to Jeter in a game that decides home field.

And not having an on air tribute to Gwynn was just nuts, bad move on MLB's part.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #284 on: July 16, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »

Well fuck...

Been that kinda season for Yanks pitching.

But, what really gets me, is that even with all the injuries, their pitching isn't the worst part.  The worst part is they can't score runs to save their lives.  Other than maybe Ellsbury, the lineup just can't produce. 

Their cobbled together rotation hasn't been that bad, with some bright spots in the youngsters.....they've kept them in a LOT of games.  But..when you're losing 3-2 and 3-0 and and 2-1 (in extra innings, no less)....it's not the pitching that's at fault

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #285 on: July 16, 2014, 11:36:03 AM »

He wasn't recanting to cover his ass on getting beat, he was clarifying to diffuse the idea he grooved a couple to Jeter in a game that decides home field.

And not having an on air tribute to Gwynn was just nuts, bad move on MLB's part.

I've got no problem with him grooving the pitch, but being "honest" about it comes off as self-serving and pisses on Jeter's double, albeit unintentionally on Wainwright's part.  I think he realized that after the fact, so he recanted (also for the reason about how the All-Star Game 'counts').  Anyway, best thing was Jeter's response:  "If he grooved it, thanks." 

Agree with you guys on Gwynn.  Disgraceful not to have any tribute; criminal to not mention him even once. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:37:54 AM by GeorgeSteele » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #286 on: July 16, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »

But, what really gets me, is that even with all the injuries, their pitching isn't the worst part.  The worst part is they can't score runs to save their lives.  Other than maybe Ellsbury, the lineup just can't produce. 

I really thought they'd be fine offensively, would've bet money McCann would've hit 30 bombs and driven in a hundred.  Similar expectations with Beltran as well but both have been total busts.

The Tanaka thing is really unfortunate for them, I suspect they won't see him again until the 2016 season and he won't be back to full strength til '17.

Ironically, I had all 3 on my fantasy teams outta the gate...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #287 on: July 16, 2014, 07:31:33 PM »

Agreed that was wrong on so many level. Not even a mention of his name. Disgraceful.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #288 on: July 16, 2014, 07:36:54 PM »

I really thought they'd be fine offensively, would've bet money McCann would've hit 30 bombs and driven in a hundred.  Similar expectations with Beltran as well but both have been total busts.

The Tanaka thing is really unfortunate for them, I suspect they won't see him again until the 2016 season and he won't be back to full strength til '17.

Ironically, I had all 3 on my fantasy teams outta the gate...

I'm hoping it's just its taking time to adjust to a whole new league and he'll figure it out before the end of the season or for next year. If not he will be a total bust. With Beltran the injury is clearly affecting his swing. He was starting to get hot when he went down with the bone spur. Hopefully he'll be completely healthy next year. Tanaka's injury is such a shame. He was on his way to having one of the best rookie seasons ever. Possibly ROY and Cy Young award. I'm hoping he can rehab and get back but obviously the chances aren't in his favor. The plus side is his age 25. So if he does need TJ surgery he will be back by the time he's 27. He could still have a damn good career.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #289 on: July 16, 2014, 07:37:54 PM »

Still should've just kept his trap shut imo.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #290 on: July 16, 2014, 08:25:27 PM »

Agreed, although the (initial) massive over reaction via social media was absolutely comical.

Hopefully something good will come from this and MLB will recognize having an exhibition game "that counts" maybe the dumbest thing in sports.

Selig overreacted to the tie in 2003 and created a farce.

Hell, I didn't even turn it on until I saw twitter explode. 

I used to look forward to it every year and now I have little interest in it.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #291 on: July 16, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »

Yep, i mean if he really did what he said then clearly something isn't right with making the game count. That tells me the players aren't trying their best to win the game and if they aren't going to stop making it determine home field in the WS. Obviously having that game in 03 end in a tie was embarrassing but there has to be a better solution like expanding the rosters to 40 maybe to allow ample pitching. That's the biggest issue. The position guys can play for awhile but you gotta be careful with the pitchers for obvious reasons.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #292 on: July 16, 2014, 10:09:22 PM »

Agreed, although the (initial) massive over reaction via social media was absolutely comical.

Hopefully something good will come from this and MLB will recognize having an exhibition game "that counts" maybe the dumbest thing in sports.

Selig overreacted to the tie in 2003 and created a farce.

Hell, I didn't even turn it on until I saw twitter explode. 

I used to look forward to it every year and now I have little interest in it.

I mostly watched it this year for Jeter obviously. I wanted to see how he'd do and how they'd handle taking him out of the game. Which i thought they handled quite well both before his first at bat and when he was removed.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #293 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32:55 PM »

Yep, i mean if he really did what he said then clearly something isn't right with making the game count. That tells me the players aren't trying their best to win the game and if they aren't going to stop making it determine home field in the WS. Obviously having that game in 03 end in a tie was embarrassing but there has to be a better solution like expanding the rosters to 40 maybe to allow ample pitching. That's the biggest issue. The position guys can play for awhile but you gotta be careful with the pitchers for obvious reasons.

The game itself is such a contradiction.

If it's gonna count, play it straight.

Best 25 guys in each league, no fan voting, no 3 hour commercials for outgoing icons.

But seriously, who the hell wants that?

If that was the case, Jeter wouldn't have even been on the team and an opportunity to honor a sure fire first ballot HOF'er would have been missed.

It's an exhibition for cryin' out loud, a game to celebrate today's stars and honor greats on their way out.

Playing the ASG for bragging rights alone went away interleague play, the lines that were drawn in the sand forever blurred by novelty games and staged "rivalries".

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #294 on: July 16, 2014, 10:49:30 PM »

Best 25 guys in each league, no fan voting, no 3 hour commercials for outgoing icons.

If that was the case, Jeter wouldn't have even been on the team and an opportunity to honor a sure fire first ballot HOF'er would have been missed.

It's an exhibition for cryin' out loud, a game to celebrate today's stars and honor greats on their way out.

Playing the ASG for bragging rights alone went away interleague play, the lines that were drawn in the sand forever blurred by novelty games and staged "rivalries".

Exactly because then you'll have even more endless bitching about why didn't this guy or that guy make it. It was definitely more fun when it was just an exhibition. Everyone got to play and we get the moments like Jeter and Rivera that the fans want to see. You're right in your scenario Jeter wouldn't have been there starting. I mean he's having a respectable year for a 40 year old but i don't think anyone is kidding themselves thinking he's the best ss in the AL. He did however make a fantastic play on a grounder by McCutchen who just beat it out by inches.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:52:18 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #295 on: July 16, 2014, 10:57:39 PM »

On a bit of a interesting fact from last night's ASG though, Jeter became the oldest player to get two hits in ASG history. A record previously held by Carl Yastrzemski. Who Jeter should pass on the all time hit list sometime over the next week.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #296 on: July 16, 2014, 11:17:22 PM »

Exactly because then you'll have even more endless bitching about why didn't this guy or that guy make it. It was definitely more fun when it was just an exhibition. Everyone got to play and we get the moments like Jeter and Rivera that the fans want to see. You're right in your scenario Jeter wouldn't have been there starting. I mean he's having a respectable year for a 40 year old but i don't think anyone is kidding themselves thinking he's the best ss in the AL. He did however make a fantastic play on a grounder by McCutchen who just beat it out by inches.

Jeter wouldn't have eve been on the squad, let alone starting.

And what a travesty that would've been.

As for the McCutchen play, MLB (well, Ferrell) missed a chance to showcase their goofy challenge replay rule - he sure looked out to me.

This is even more galling..

Per Ken Rosenthal's twitter MLB/Fox just released the following on the Gwynn fiasco:

"Fox and Major League Baseball have issued a joint statement on why the loss of Tony Gwynn was not mentioned during the All-Star Game broadcast last night.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, an extraordinary individual whose memory we have honored in numerous ways in recent weeks. The Baseball family has sadly lost a number of people this year - including Hall of Famer Ralph Kiner, Frank Cashen, and former All-Stars Jerry Coleman, Jim Fregosi and Don Zimmer - and did not want to slight anyone by singling out one individual."

They couldn't have taken a few moments out of the Jeter infomercial to pay respect not only Gwynn but the others mentioned above who passed?

Coleman was not only a fine player, he was an HOF announcer and decorated war hero - unreal.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #297 on: July 17, 2014, 01:58:14 AM »

Jeter wouldn't have eve been on the squad, let alone starting.

And what a travesty that would've been.

As for the McCutchen play, MLB (well, Ferrell) missed a chance to showcase their goofy challenge replay rule - he sure looked out to me.

This is even more galling..

Per Ken Rosenthal's twitter MLB/Fox just released the following on the Gwynn fiasco:

"Fox and Major League Baseball have issued a joint statement on why the loss of Tony Gwynn was not mentioned during the All-Star Game broadcast last night.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, an extraordinary individual whose memory we have honored in numerous ways in recent weeks. The Baseball family has sadly lost a number of people this year - including Hall of Famer Ralph Kiner, Frank Cashen, and former All-Stars Jerry Coleman, Jim Fregosi and Don Zimmer - and did not want to slight anyone by singling out one individual."

They couldn't have taken a few moments out of the Jeter infomercial to pay respect not only Gwynn but the others mentioned above who passed?

Coleman was not only a fine player, he was an HOF announcer and decorated war hero - unreal.

Was he? I didn't get a good look at the replay.

I agree, they could've found time to mention those we lost this year.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #298 on: July 17, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »

[

It was bang bang but he sure looked that way to me.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #299 on: July 17, 2014, 05:34:59 PM »

[

It was bang bang but he sure looked that way to me.

I'm surprised he didn't challenge then considering this was deciding home field in the WS.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: