Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 04:31:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227889 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Snakepit's vocalist Eric Dover
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Snakepit's vocalist Eric Dover  (Read 19721 times)
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« on: March 09, 2004, 05:33:25 PM »

rember him? from snakepit v.1? seen the new alice cooper album? well, he play GUITAR on that...  hihi

why did he really sing on the snakepit album if he is a guitarist?

oh, if mods think this is in the wrong place, just move it....

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 05:37:28 PM »

Maybe because Slash couldn't find anybody better?  Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 05:43:40 PM »

Maybe because Slash couldn't find anybody better?  Wink

/jarmo

rofl

how hard it is to find a good vocalist? or find a vocalist without him being a undercover guitarist?!? :p

anyone know if dover is on other albums too? singing, drumming or playing guitar? or maybe bass? or maybe he is shaking a tamburine for metallica?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 06:04:41 PM »

Alice Cooper  Dragontown (2001) Vocals (bckgr)  
Alice Cooper  Dragontown [Bonus Disc] (2002) Vocals (bckgr)  
Alice Cooper  Eyes of Alice Cooper (2003) Guitar, Vocals  
Alberto Fortis  Universo Fortis (2003) Musician  
Imperial Drag  Imperial Drag (1996) Guitar, Vocals  
Jellyfish  Fan Club (2002) Guitar, Vocals (bckgr)  
Khaleel  People Watching (1998) Vocals (bckgr)  
Mark Plaff  Grapes Of Pfaff  Guitar  
Umajets  Demolotion (1997) Guitar, Mandolin, Guitar (Electric)  
Various Artists  Tribute to Journey (2002) Performer  

http://www.allmusic.com

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 06:24:04 PM »

so.. he just was a vocalist on snakepit album? maybe he used slash to try out his vox skill's.. but it was too late when they reached the recording studio so he couldnt say no.... and slash felt sorry for the guy and couldnt say "your fired" too him...   hihi

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 06:52:17 PM »

Snakepit v.1 was pretty awful - no, thats not harsh enough, it was really awful

The vocals and lyrics were embarrassing, but so was the guitars, Slash and Gilby really failed to shine.

I never understood why they didn't just get Gilby to do vocals if they were so desperate they dragged a guitarist off the street.....

When ur line up is essential GNR '94 u expect much better - thankfully we got it with Ain't life Grand! Cheesy

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 08:45:44 PM »

The vocals and lyrics were embarrassing, but so was the guitars, Slash and Gilby really failed to shine.

I never understood why they didn't just get Gilby to do vocals if they were so desperate they dragged a guitarist off the street.....

When ur line up is essential GNR '94 u expect much better - thankfully we got it with Ain't life Grand! Cheesy

Any examples of poor guitar work?

The vocals were relatively weak, and some of the lyrics were embarassing, but hardly awful.  Overall, its a solid, unspectacular record.  "Beggars & Hangers-On" is a great song, and so is "I Hate Everybody (But You)".  Most of the other songs fail to reach that level of songwriting, but nearly all of them are at least good. The main weakness would be Dovers singing.

I would just like to see what makes this album awful, so please enlighten me.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 08:56:33 PM »

Gilby palyed on all of the first albums tracks?

I don't think a great vocalist would have made the record more than a solid, 'unspectacular record'. It just wasn't there.

But I don't mind it , though.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 08:57:52 PM »

Apart from thw two songs you mentioned, some of the others are quite awful. I really can't say anything good about Doin' Fine, Be The Ball, Take It Away etc....

Both Snakepit albums are uneven if you ask me. On Ain't Life Grand you have the title track that's bad in my opinion.

/jarmo

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 10:52:38 PM »

I have to disagree with you on this one.  I happen to think the first version of Snakepit was pretty damn good.  I like almost every song on there. The second incarnation IMO blew though.  

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 11:12:29 PM »

I don't think a great vocalist would have made the record more than a solid, 'unspectacular record'. It just wasn't there.

Sure he would have...

A great vocalist would have made it simply sound better and may have contributed to the songwriting.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 02:32:02 PM »

Apart from thw two songs you mentioned, some of the others are quite awful. I really can't say anything good about Doin' Fine, Be The Ball, Take It Away etc....

Both Snakepit albums are uneven if you ask me. On Ain't Life Grand you have the title track that's bad in my opinion.

/jarmo

Snakepit 1.0 was a great band that made one of the best records of the decade. Unfortunately, Eric is not a great vocalist, but wrote decent lyrics. And the guitar riffs are fantatics! Neither can I could have been a rock hymn, as well as Beggars, Monkey Chow, Back and Forth Again. Who plays guitar, like me, can tell that the guitar parts are much more difficult than the UYI works. Well, there are weaker songs (I just hate I Hate Everybody), but Doin' Fine has a very interesting gutar riff rhythm, just like some Led Zep songs, Be The Ball is good to listen (Especially for playing pinball  Wink), progressive rock gods Dream Theater members called Slash a 'guitar god' after listening Take It Away
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere deserves more  yes

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
DeadHorse
Rocker

Where's my cinder block

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 03:18:34 PM »

Eric was actually singing for a band when Slash found him. I can't remember but I thought it was JellyFish.

Slash said something about meeting him through a friend.

I liked the album, Beggars is an awsome tune as is Good to Be Alive, the outro is cool. I wouldn't say it is gut wrenching to listen to, but that's my "monkey brained opinion".

And correct me if I'm wrong but I recall reading somewhere a few years ago that Eric sang back up vocals on a, Britney Spears album.  

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, ?To Kill A Mockingbird,? and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 04:06:49 PM »

I think the album is pretty good but would have been a lot better with a better vocalist.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2004, 08:30:39 PM »

Sure thing

Embarasing lyrics sung by a very weak vocalist - the songs lacked passion, hell they all lacked anything even remotely resembling emotion

The guitars, drums, bass etc were very bland, lets face it, if Slash's name wasn't splashed over the front none of us would have bought it.

When u have a line up of that quality and they produce this, only words like awful are going to suffice.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
dragan0T3
Rocker

So Axl, when are we getting a new album- 2023?! ;)

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2004, 10:45:30 PM »

Snakepit's first album was good, not great.  Ain't Life Grand was awful.  To tell you the truth both vocalists are pretty bad, but I prefer Dover.

Dime Store, Beggars, Monkey, Jizz, Lower, Doin' Fine are quite good imo.  The 1st track on the 2nd album is OK, as is Mean Bone, Serial Killer, and Alien.  I must say Speed Parade's intro riff is one of the best riffs of all time - too bad they couldn't make a good song for it.

Metal is better than ever - try Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Dragonforce, Children of Bodom, Kamelot, Symphony X, Stratovarius, Heavenly, Dream Theater, Dimmu Borgir etc.
P.S. You Finns f'n rock! _|m|
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2004, 09:07:44 AM »

Both Dover and Jackson were referred to Slash by friends. And that is a recipe for disaster, but with that said there were some great songs in IFOS. Ain't life Grand is a great in your face rock record. It just lacks in the lyric department but Rod Jackson has a bad ass voice!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2004, 10:10:54 AM »

"The singer we have is the f---ing awesomest singer in the world," Slash declares, admitting that he's tried singing himself but knows he doesn't have the personality for the gig. "[Jackson] was under my nose without me knowing it, after two hundred singers I must have looked at. I can't verbally characterize his voice, but he's got amazing control, amazing volume...he's just f---ing awesome."

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=183

Wonder if Weiland knows about it? Wink

/jarmo

darkmonth
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2004, 02:11:55 PM »

Fuck people who say Rod is not an amazing vocalist.  If you don't like his style sure, but you have fucking cloth ears if you can't admit he has amazing talent.

People are quick to put Slash's vocalists down (and many of these people are doing it with Weiland too so I don't even take thier opinions as worthwhile anyway), just because they aren't Axl Rose.

To be honest, much of the same is aimed at Axl's new axemen, because they aren't Slash.  These people are mostly just stupid narrow minded twats.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2004, 02:59:59 PM »

Fuck people who say Rod is not an amazing vocalist.  If you don't like his style sure, but you have fucking cloth ears if you can't admit he has amazing talent.

People are quick to put Slash's vocalists down (and many of these people are doing it with Weiland too so I don't even take thier opinions as worthwhile anyway), just because they aren't Axl Rose.

Agree. Rod is an awesome singer, has a great and skilled voice. For me he's like the mixture of Robert Plant and Steven Tyler.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: