Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 04:54:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  VR article in norwegian newspaper VG
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VR article in norwegian newspaper VG  (Read 2404 times)
Surge
« on: April 20, 2004, 06:56:19 AM »

Brief translation of this, didn't see it anywhere else so thought I could do it. Kinda tricky translating from norwegian to english, I realised. Didn't do that for a long time. Some stuff here I simply just did not understand what they ment, but tried doing it the best I could.

-Never more Guns N? Roses

LOS ANGELES (VG) Almost 10 years has passed since the classic line-up of the band went into the history books. But norwegians still can't get enough of Guns N' Roses.

By: SINDRE KARTVEDT

For the fourth time in five weeks GnR are topping the norwegian best selling list with their hit-collection.

But the fans can't hope for a reunion with Slash, Axl & co.

Now it's about the superproject VR for 3/4 of the band (comment: hey, Izzy was there and wrote 30+% of the music/lyrics)

- The only thing that matters to me is that it goes to my heart, says GnR guitarist Slash as an explanation of how he and the rest of the new supergroup VR is playing rock'n'roll again. GnR was the last classic rock'n'roll-band, a legendary self-destructive four-member band that partly put the band for its feet - and in ruins.

The split

10 years ago it ended when Slash and the rest of the band gave up having anything to with the singer Axl Rose.

- He wanted to make a techno album, says Duff McKagan, who now is reunited with drummer guitarist from his hard days. (comment: then why the fuck did you stay there doing that till 97???)

- It would've been smarter if he did a solo-album instead. But we were done anyway. When the last tour was over, they could've driven us right to the garbage heap. We were five streetkids who refused to compromise, and we became the words biggest rock'n'roll band. People were talking about us ending from day one, Slash laughts behind his sunglasses.

Drugs

- It's really incredible that we lasted as long as we did. Axl was almost collappsing from day one - and he was the only who wasn't drinking and using dope! The only reason it went so well, was that I and the others just refused to give up. (comment: And what about when touring with Stones in 89 when Axl quit and refused to give up? I want objectivity, there's no such thing as good guys vs the bad guy in this. It's stupid that the press write about it and it's even mroe stupid that they start to believe in it too)

And if VR has anything in common with Guns, then it's the firmness. The three main members of VR are the 3 members from GnR, who possibly would be the only band in the world who see it as a relief to work with ex-Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland. Weiland has had a serious of velpublished drug-problems over the last year, which does not worry Slash.

- The whole band is trying to better after all the harm we've done to ourself, he says, and tells that when Rolling Stones invited him to see their first show on their tour in 1989, he was so high that he fell asleep at the hotelroom and missed the whole thing.

- We've been through many thing. And the only thing that counts is that it has soul, that the magic is there. The three GnR-veterans use words as magic and electric when describing the start of VR - a charity concert at a club in L.A. last year, where the three members stood on the same stage for the first time in 10 years.

- The room just exploded, Matt laughts. - Duff called me the next day, and not long after we were back rehearsing. - I had actually forgotten how it was to play with these guys, says McKagan. - The chemistry is incredible. It's like being hit by the lightening. To find the 2nd guitarist went fine, but the front person was harder.

- The last thing we wanted was a new Axl, all three says.

- At the same time, it had to be someone who were not afraid to stand at a stage with us. We were looking for the right guy for a long time, until Scott suddenly came up.

Dangerous and explosive

VR went in studio in october and are ready later this year to release their debut "Contraband".

- It's gonna be the way it's gonna be, says Sorum.

- Guns sold 20 millions of each record, that doesn't happen anymore. All we really care about is playing live and being a dangerous and explosive rockband. It's only us and Queens of the stone age left now, he says. (comment: No, Turbonegro kick you both until proven different)

- What we've been through, is things you cant share with many others, Duff says.

- The others are the only ones who were there, and know what we went through. We don't have to explain anything for each other. It was no destiny involved in VR, Slash says.

- For me it was never any turning back - at least not when Scott came in, Slash says.

- Then we had something I havn't been close to since Guns. When you get that kinda energy it's just to keep it going. I mean, I am quiet and friendly, I've never gone for trouble, even though it may sound strange. But when I'm playing and it sounds like this, then nothing can stop me. Not this time.
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 08:00:19 AM »

Kool article

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 12:43:55 PM »

cool...

eventhough they say they havent played toghter for 10years? they played live with Neurotic Outsiders in 96?  and what about the sundance festival? didnt they play togheter there?

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: