Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 03:23:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Look at your game girl
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Look at your game girl  (Read 3169 times)
Shallowdeep
Opening Act

Shallowdeep rock!

« on: October 22, 2003, 01:58:58 PM »

Who wrote it? I know that it is a secret track on "the spaghetti incident?" But i can't find any information on the track any where.

"KWYJBO": A fat, dumb, balding North American ape with no chin.

"And if you fool yourself, you will think your happy"
SwedeChildO'Mine
Guy in the locker, feeling like a
Rocker

W. Axl Rose - Pure talent

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 06:40:51 PM »

Charles Manson
nevermore
Headliner

Verg I Veum / Varg I Veum

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 04:45:57 PM »

yeah well manson is an absolute idiot ( to say the least) .. it really annoys me when little kids start telling everyone they're charles manson followers when they have absolutely no idea..
 .... well i remember a quote from a slash interview.. well not actually. he said something like ,, we don't aprove in any way of what manson has done. to us he represents the essence of what is ugly in the world".. somethin' like that..
 as a songwirter manson is pretty interessting.. i heard stories of how he hanged out at brian wilson's house ( the beach boys singer).. he used to say that he could out-do the Beatles if given the shot ... he was then rejected by some record companies i think. it's said that that really sent him over the edge..
 ... i still haven't made a trough oppinion about his music...  u know he was absolutely obsessed w/ the beatles and it seems he analized every lyric in his way.. remember ,,helter skelter"
 .. the song on the si? album is.. well there's a lot of hype there.. the actual song is not to good.... it's good beacuse GNR adjuste it in there way .. apart from that the song isn't too good... it's a sort of fad that i suppose Axl waas going for..

WECOMEFROMTHELANDOFTHEICEANDSNOW/From the midnight sun,where the hot springs blow/The hammer of the gods/Will drive their ships to new lands/To fight the horde, singing and crying:/ WALHALLA IM coming
Dizzy
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 11:32:44 PM »

yeah well manson is an absolute idiot ( to say the least) .. it really annoys me when little kids start telling everyone they're charles manson followers when they have absolutely no idea..

Well, Charlie was always a con man.  He conned all his followers into committing those heinous acts in August 1969.  To this day, he still cons people.
nevermore
Headliner

Verg I Veum / Varg I Veum

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 11:59:34 PM »

yeah .... long before the Helter skelter thing he was doin this trainning with some of his followers.. meanning he would be breaking into peoples houses just for the sport of it ...
 There is also a Marlyn Manson song written by him i think... My monkey or somethin'.....

WECOMEFROMTHELANDOFTHEICEANDSNOW/From the midnight sun,where the hot springs blow/The hammer of the gods/Will drive their ships to new lands/To fight the horde, singing and crying:/ WALHALLA IM coming
groupie
Opening Act

I really need to go to therapy...

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 08:19:21 AM »

when i first heard the song i said to myself: yeah this is nice...but when i found out that charles manson wrote it i was really out of place. i mean that freak...?
the song is really nice, and axl sang it perfectly, but what doesn't hit me is that charles manson, the same guy who murdered sharon tate who was with a baby for 8 months(we all know the story)... wrote such a beautiful song...
well, some people can really suprise us.
and by the way, i also don't understand why axl had this thing with wearing manson t-shirts in 1992/1993?
does anybody know why?

Huh  Roll Eyes  Undecided

beer

"To use the words of my friend Axl, WAKE UP, IT'S TIME TO DIE!!!"
duff, tokyo 1992
Angie79
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 04:08:40 PM »

and by the way, i also don't understand why axl had this thing with wearing manson t-shirts in 1992/1993?
does anybody know why?

How anyone can like that track is beyond me.  Roll Eyes

Anyway, the only thing Axl's said about wearing the Manson shirts on tour that I know of is: "Plus, I like the black humor of the 'Charlie Don't Surf' line for the movie Apocalypse Now." It had something to do with people accusing him of doing it for shock-value only.
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 04:33:22 PM »

Apart from the whole manson thing I think it's the weakest track on TSI. Lyrically cool, but the guitars are boring and monotonous. I am also irritated by these kids who claim to be manson followers and write to him in jail. I think it's pretty pathetic. People do it because they think it makes them cool or a non-conformist but if you're becoming an admitted "follower" of someone than to call yourself a nonconformist is pretty ridiculous. Fuck charles manson!...sick fuck

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
groupie
Opening Act

I really need to go to therapy...

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 05:29:17 PM »

yeah, you've got that right. i really don't get it...a sick fuck like manson writing songs such as look at your game girl?! i'd maybe understand if he'd written a twisted disgusting sicktoyourstomack song, but this? i even felt kid of touched when i heard the song. it almost made me cry.  crying
but i don't really agree with you on what you said about the song being the weakest on the album. i know the entire album by heart, and i think that each song is fantastic.

you rock guys
see ya

smoking

"To use the words of my friend Axl, WAKE UP, IT'S TIME TO DIE!!!"
duff, tokyo 1992
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 07:23:23 PM »

Axl released this statement in 1994 about Look At Your Game Girl.  In it, he says that Brian Wilson actually wrote the song (Brian Wilson is known for being one of Manson's followers).  Charles Manson recorded it in 1963.

Statement from W. Axl Rose concerning the unlisted bonus track, Look At Your Game, Girl by Charles Manson, on Guns N' Roses' new album, The Spaghetti Incident?

It's come to my attention that some people have taken offence to a particular song, Look At Your Game, Girl, on our new album The Spaghetti Incident?.

What it all boils down to is this: The Spaghetti Incident? is 13 historical and musical gems that may have been overlooked. For instance, New Rose was one of The Damned's main songs but for whatever reason a lot of the world didn't hear it.
In Indiana, I was ridiculed and physically attacked for my musical tastes, tastes that I never made any effort to hide. I thought it would be interesting for the so called mainstream and the people who were against this material when I was a teenager to actually hear these songs. Maybe they'll hear something they like, and more importantly, maybe they'll go and find the originals better, including Look At Your Game, Girl. The reason we didn't list that song on our album is we wanted to downplay it. We don't give any credit to Charles Manson on the album; it's like a hidden bonus truck.

It's my opinion that the media are enjoying making a big deal out of Guns N' Roses covering a song that Charles Manson recorded, but if another band had recorded that song, it probably wouldn't have been of interest. The media need their "bad guys" to guarantee some ratings, so they use Manson's name coupled with mine to promo their news programs.

However, when I do something positive, like contribute to charity, it's hard to get the news to pick up on those stories. The media is an interesting beast.

Why did I choose to cover that particular song?

Oddly enough, one of the things we do up at my house is have "Name That Artist" contests where we play obscure songs and everyone tries to name the artist. My brother Stuart found Look At Your Game, Girl at a large record chain and, needless to say, he won that round. Personally, I liked the lyrics and the melody of the song. Hearing it shocked me and I thought there might be other people who would like to hear it.

I like the words because, to me, it's about a woman who has thrown things away. She thinks she's gaining love but basically she's gaining sadness. It was very fitting for a personal situation I happened to be in. The song talks about how the girl is insane and playing a mad game. I felt that it was ironic that such a song was recorded by Charles Manson, someone who should know the inner intricacies of madness.

Manson is a dark part of American culture and history. He's the subject of fear and fascination through books, movies, and the interviews he's done. Most people hadn't heard anything Charles Manson recorded.

A lot of people can say I wear the "Charlie Don't Surf" T-shirt for shock value, but I've worn that shirt for the past year on tour, all over the world. Yes, I was trying to make a statement. I wore the T-shirt because a lot of people enjoy playing me as the bad guy and the crazy. Sorry, I'm not that guy. I'm nothing like him. That's what I'm saying. There's a real difference in morals, values and ethics between Manson and myself and that is "Thou shalt not kill," which I don't. I'm by no means a Manson expert or anything, but the things he's done are something I don't believe in. He's a sick individual. Look at Manson and then look at me. We're not the same. Plus, I like the black humor of the "Charlie Don't Surf" line for the movie Apocalypse Now.

I think people think I'm crazy because I believe in telling the truth. I'll admit sometimes I don't do a perfect job of it, but my efforts are true.

It is my understanding that the song was written by Dennis Wilson. To what extent Charles Manson is involved in the publishing, I'm not aware. However, I am donating all my personal profits from having that song on our album to a charity, an environmental group to help protect wildlife and our oceans. In our video for Estranged, which will be the last video for the Use Your Illusion albums, we used dolphins, and this is my way of giving something back to the dolphin, which are endangered and threatened with extinction.

Unfortunately I Don't Surf Either.
journey
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 11:57:59 PM »

I like that song, but it makes me sad, because everytime I hear it I think of the murders he was involved in.  I can't get emotionally attached to it.

kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 02:58:19 AM »

There is also a Marlyn Manson song written by him i think... My monkey or somethin'.....

My Monkey has four lines of lyrics from Mechanical Man (original song by charlie)

You can find "Look At Your Game Girl" and "Mehcanical Man" on Charlie's album " Lie: The Love And Terror Cult "

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: