Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:23:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What is ?new philosophy for GnR?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is ?new philosophy for GnR?  (Read 12296 times)
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: April 16, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »

What is  new philosophy for GnR?

When GnR started And began getting big, part of their success was making videos and doing a lot of interviews. In doing so they became the biggest band in the world. After Axl revamped GnR he seems to have changed his philosophy in thant he no longer wants to be the biggest band in the world (at least it appears that way for me). I know Mtv is not what it used to be, but I still would have loved for Axl to have made some videos for CD. I always enjoyed viewing Axl and GnRs vision through their videos. I think with today's technology they could have made some great videos with CD catalog. I also wish the rest of the members and even Axl would do more press and interviews so they can get to know more about the guys and what is going on internally in the GnR world. Maybe do some unplugged shows that get televised or go on Saturday Night live and the late night shows to further introduce this band. The lack of promotion and press for CD was very surpising consisering all the years of hard work put into the album. Unfortunately, GnR has become somewhat like Pearl Jam (which is another favorite band of mine so it is not knock just an observation) who tries to stay below the radar by not doing videos. It's almost like they do not want to be popular or are too concerned about selling out. Which we know GnR is anything but sellouts. anyways thoughts?
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:45:24 AM »

Seems to me that both Pearl Jam and Guns have decided that shoving things in people's faces is often counter-productive to becoming popular. Once you get past a certain point, people start to get sick of you.

They instead seem to be relying on positive word of mouth from shows (especially the word of mouth of those who weren't expecting to like the shows much in Guns' case... that could make all the difference in the long run. People like us who have always loved them aren't going to be taken as seriously as the person who has misgivings and is won over at the end of a show).

I do wish they'd make some music videos, though.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »

Seems to me that both Pearl Jam and Guns have decided that shoving things in people's faces is often counter-productive to becoming popular. Once you get past a certain point, people start to get sick of you.

They instead seem to be relying on positive word of mouth from shows (especially the word of mouth of those who weren't expecting to like the shows much in Guns' case... that could make all the difference in the long run. People like us who have always loved them aren't going to be taken as seriously as the person who has misgivings and is won over at the end of a show).

Why you mention Pearl Jam again? * Rhetoric Q . Word of mouth? - Oh holy fuckin Giraffe!

Yep, definately, definately! Cause this always worked for Guns, right? Sure thing. Nuttin U can do about it, I think. Most of the media or at least those I ve heard & being reading about have a huge & direct connection with my grandpa's sewing PIPE for dimension & degree & when it comes to shoving about Axl, no? Anyone in da zungler disputes this?

Misgivings? Dont really think so. You talk about wastage & byproducts. ONLY.

WTF?  HBK 2.0?

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:49:47 PM »

Nothing has changed. It was always "we do things our way.". Still is.

Back in the day, getting a video played on MTV often meant increased record sales. Making a video people talked about was a special thing. Everybody watched the same channel, the same shows.

Today if you make a music video, people will watch it on Youtube. And probably only by those that are fans already. Unless you manage to make a video that goes viral and is spread through social media.

Some of you have forgotten how things were in the 1990s. Axl didn't grant that many interviews. He chose a few which then became legendary.

Today we got people who are famous for being famous. They're not celebrities because their music touched a whole world, or because they appear in a popular movie. They're famous because they were in sex tapes, because they were seen with somebody famous or because they were in a reality show.

The entertainment "news media" focuses on these kind of people and very little is written about the art itself. Music magazines are competing against gossip magazines.

It seems like people are more interested in what Madonna is wearing that what she is singing.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »

Why you mention Pearl Jam again? * Rhetoric Q . Word of mouth? - Oh holy fuckin Giraffe!

Yep, definately, definately! Cause this always worked for Guns, right? Sure thing. Nuttin U can do about it, I think. Most of the media or at least those I ve heard & being reading about have a huge & direct connection with my grandpa's sewing PIPE for dimension & degree & when it comes to shoving about Axl, no? Anyone in da zungler disputes this?

What do you mean by ANYTHING you say?
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »

what she said actually makes more sense to me than a lot of what was being said  in that HOF thread for the last week.. hihi

but seriously as far as philosophy goes, I would imagine it is still going to be GNR doing what GNR wants, and being unaffected by what those around them say, do or write about.  Which is just the way I want it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:58:49 PM by Bodhi » Logged
3STRANG3D
Headliner

Nothing UnReal Just human

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:16:32 PM »

what she said actually makes more sense to me than a lot of what was being said  in that HOF thread for the last week.. hihi

but seriously as far as philosophy goes,,,,

Hello Japan? OK. I have not been reading every line on every post. Did you? ok whateva. Carry on if you cant dig what I am saying... or.. I dont know.,, Dig a F- ghost.
Through that wall. & keep it on there, Forever. & dont get so much philosophical peeps, its just rnr & no, you cant stop it lol 

"There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta! no more fightin wit dad! no more restraining order! no more step-da-da! no more new brother! blow her kisses bye-bye! Say mommy you love her! " Eminem BITCH!!!
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »

It seems like people are more interested in what Madonna is wearing that what she is singing.

/jarmo
To highlight this point, her last song only reached #37 in the UK charts, whereas in the 1990's she was hitting the top 3 every time... Is her music [worse] or has the way we hear music changed.... In theory, you can play any music you want and not have a recording to your name.

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 01:24:37 PM »

Axl did very few interviews. His # of interviews all together is much less than your standard pop icon would do in 1 day.

Videos are dead. Waste of energy and money. Shame... GNR did revolutionize the music video.

Philosophy: GNR does what GNR wants. Period.

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »

/jarmo
To highlight this point, her last song only reached #37 in the UK charts, whereas in the 1990's she was hitting the top 3 every time... Is her music [worse] or has the way we hear music changed.... In theory, you can play any music you want and not have a recording to your name.

I think Madonna's latest single was just as good as her old stuff. The industry has changed big time. Also Madonna no longer lets the media and labels influence her career like in the 80s and early 90s. See a pattern here with the #37 compared to top 3?

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 01:42:48 PM »

I wouldn't say Axl did a lot of press in the 90s but he did more than now. I think the main difference was that the other guys also did press so maybe it seemed like they were getting more exposure. I believe the new members may also have restrictions in their contracts where they are probably limited as far as doing interviews and divulging band information. With regards to viedo, I know the dynamics have changed but musicians still do videos even though it does not have same impact as before. They could probably come up with something that could go viral on YouTube. Nevertheless, I always believed it was something Axl enjoyed, in putting out extravagant or elaborate videos to convey his image or vision of a song to his fans. GnR will always do things there way without apologizing, but I would have liked to see them reclaim the biggest band in the world status. I think they have the talent with current line up keep making some great music for people to enjoy.
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 01:44:01 PM »

I believe the new members may also have restrictions in their contracts where they are probably limited as far as doing interviews and divulging band information.

No. This is just a myth.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
3STRANG3D
Headliner

Nothing UnReal Just human

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 01:46:51 PM »

Nothing has changed. It was always "we do things our way." Still is.

/jarmo

Glad that someone else gets it....... ! I mean except Frank Sinatra cause he composed, he must dig something more about it - Who could ever possibly even thought of that? ...

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:17:31 PM by 3STRANG3D » Logged

"There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta! no more fightin wit dad! no more restraining order! no more step-da-da! no more new brother! blow her kisses bye-bye! Say mommy you love her! " Eminem BITCH!!!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 01:52:33 PM »

I think Madonna's latest single was just as good as her old stuff. The industry has changed big time. Also Madonna no longer lets the media and labels influence her career like in the 80s and early 90s. See a pattern here with the #37 compared to top 3?

I thought Madonna's last single was a pile of shit, I own the record and it was even worse than that.   She is trying to cater to the Deadmau5 crowd, which is 14 year old kids on ecstasy.  She is way too old to appeal to them, and nobody cared.
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 01:53:47 PM »

I believe I read posts on this forum stating that people like a Josh Freese, Dave Navarro, Moby, and other players and producers etc. who worked on CD that Axl would make them sign contracts forbidding them from speaking about what they worked on CD. I am not saying the new line is forbidden altogether from speaking to the media, but I believe they really can't do interviews without Axls approval basically.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 01:58:26 PM »

but I believe they really can't do interviews without Axls approval basically.

Are you serious?

I guess you are. And I bet i know why. You actually believe all the bullshit about how Axl needs to know every single detail and approve every single thing. That's the bullshit that's been fed to you, and you ate it all without questioning it.

So a TV crew approaches Dj on the street. Does he call Axl on the secret bat phone to get an approval? Don't be ridiculous.

I personally interviewed Tommy in 2004, and he brought up GN'R. He knew the fans wanted to know.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »

I thought Madonna's last single was a pile of shit, and she is trying to cater to the Deadmau5 crowd, which is 14 year old kids on ecstasy.  She is way too old to appeal to them, and nobody cared.

Obviously it's only my opinion but if she released her greatest song ever it would still do #37
Industry doesn't care about her anymore. If they did they would pay stations play her song 100000 times until everyone liked it.

Funny the otherday I heard that new single from $la$h's band...total shit compared to a song like "Better" for example.
WHY?HuhHuhHuh?? Because Axl don't play nice and lick their balls  Roll Eyes

So a TV crew approaches Dj on the street. Does he call Axl on the secret bat phone to get an approval? Don't be ridiculous.

/jarmo

rofl

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
wadey
Legend

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 02:30:29 PM »

I agree the music video isnt all it used to be but we still need em really. Flicking through the music channels and i mean every music channel you can watch the latest releases all with videos. Whether it be rock, dance, garage, pop or whatever. Watching one of the rock stations the other wk and they did a top 100 rock albums in the last 10yr, GN'R werent on because there was no music video to match the album. Every time guns are shown its always Axl and the ex members because its the only videos made. We all agree Guns N' Roses have moved forward but we need a video to show that Guns N' Roses have moved forward. Im not saying dont play the videos we already have because that would be stupid but all we see is the past and not the present

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »

Jarmo, I think it is safe to say Axl is the boss of GnR. It's his band and what he says goes. Obviously he can't control every aspect of their lives like if a TMZ guy show up and asks some stupid question and they respond.

What I am referring too is more along the lines of, lets say DJ is being sponsored by Gibson and Guitar World wants to do a piece on him. I would believe he would have to Run it by Axl to get his ok because he will probably be asked about GnR and what's going on with the band. I am not saying this as a shot at Axl, if anything it is smart business and it is his comany which means he runs it how he wants to. I am not suggesting these guys would start talking shit, because they have no reason to, but Axl may not want them to divulge how many songs they have in their vault or when they plan on recording new material, etc.

14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »

Its a good point Wadey.  Its difficult for most people to really understand present day GN'R when they do not do a lot of media.  And perhaps thats due to lack of record company promotion, but it also seems to be reluctance on Axl's part based of lack of trust with the media.  So what you're left with for the vast majority of people is the image of the classic lineup.  I think the fact that Guns have been touring regularly now with a consistent lineup since 2010 helps, but they do miss out on opportunities to promote themselves by shying away from traditional media outlets.  

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: