Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:29:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What is ?new philosophy for GnR?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is ?new philosophy for GnR?  (Read 12296 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 02:43:15 PM »

What I am referring too is more along the lines of, lets say DJ is being sponsored by Gibson and Guitar World wants to do a piece on him. I would believe he would have to Run it by Axl to get his ok because he will probably be asked about GnR and what's going on with the band. I am not saying this as a shot at Axl, if anything it is smart business and it is his comany which means he runs it how he wants to. I am not suggesting these guys would start talking shit, because they have no reason to, but Axl may not want them to divulge how many songs they have in their vault or when they plan on recording new material, etc.

Have you ever read or watched any GN'R interviews?

Unbelievable.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
MNGS717
Rocker

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 02:50:27 PM »

As far as "music videos" go maybe there are already some out there to enjoy, just not in the old MTV tradition? 

"Street Of Dreams" especially stands out to me.  In the pro video that plays live there is a woman and she is wandering around on the "Street Of Dreams".  If I remember, you can see a sign for Santa Monica at one point.  As far as the lyrics go I can't be sure if Axl is singing both "to her" and "as her" character during any parts of the song(i.e. "Rocket Queen"). 

"So now I wander through my days
Trying to find my ways.." 

Anyway that is another thread.

12/6/02 Philly
11/20/11 Wilkes-Barre,PA
2/23/12 Silver Spring, MD
5/13/14 Bethlehem,PA
6/26/16 Landover,Md
7/14/16 Philly
8/13/17 Hershey
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 02:54:44 PM »

Jarmo, I think it is safe to say Axl is the boss of GnR. It's his band and what he says goes. Obviously he can't control every aspect of their lives like if a TMZ guy show up and asks some stupid question and they respond.

What I am referring too is more along the lines of, lets say DJ is being sponsored by Gibson and Guitar World wants to do a piece on him. I would believe he would have to Run it by Axl to get his ok because he will probably be asked about GnR and what's going on with the band. I am not saying this as a shot at Axl, if anything it is smart business and it is his comany which means he runs it how he wants to. I am not suggesting these guys would start talking shit, because they have no reason to, but Axl may not want them to divulge how many songs they have in their vault or when they plan on recording new material, etc.

I actually get the impression they don't talk about a lot of things because they don't actually know what the hell is going on. I don't think there is a gag order. Tommy and DJ especially seem to do a lot of interviews.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »

Obviously I have seen and read a shit load of GnR interviews, which go to my original point about the philosophy of the band. In the past former members and Axl did numerous interviews on MTV, kurt loader, headbangers ball, performed on late night tv, did rolling stone interviews, and all the other rock magazines. Axl spoke to Kurt Loader after they performed at the MTV music awards and said something about how do u recreate something that was so big, I think u promote the shit out of it. In a way Axl is doing this by touring the world like crazy. Again, doing what they want on their terms ( which is fine). However, I think he does want to make stamp with this line up but for whatever reason does not do the traditional promoting he did in the past and that other bands do probably because he does not want to get the million reunion questions and/ or deal with the media misconstruing his statements. Don't get me wrong it's not like I'm saying I want them to perform on the today show and do a million stupid interviews. But I think that by getting out there they can clear up a lot of the bullshit that drives him crazy to this day and introduce the casual fans who still think slash is in the band to the new members.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 03:07:11 PM »

What is  new philosophy for GnR?

When GnR started And began getting big, part of their success was making videos and doing a lot of interviews. In doing so they became the biggest band in the world. After Axl revamped GnR he seems to have changed his philosophy in thant he no longer wants to be the biggest band in the world (at least it appears that way for me). I know Mtv is not what it used to be, but I still would have loved for Axl to have made some videos for CD. I always enjoyed viewing Axl and GnRs vision through their videos. I think with today's technology they could have made some great videos with CD catalog. I also wish the rest of the members and even Axl would do more press and interviews so they can get to know more about the guys and what is going on internally in the GnR world. Maybe do some unplugged shows that get televised or go on Saturday Night live and the late night shows to further introduce this band. The lack of promotion and press for CD was very surpising consisering all the years of hard work put into the album. Unfortunately, GnR has become somewhat like Pearl Jam (which is another favorite band of mine so it is not knock just an observation) who tries to stay below the radar by not doing videos. It's almost like they do not want to be popular or are too concerned about selling out. Which we know GnR is anything but sellouts. anyways thoughts?
welč euro tour will be sellout with 90% shows...you're wrong
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 03:25:30 PM »

There is no doubt in my mind that GnR will have a succesful worldwide tour. When did I say they would not be succesful? I just posed a question on people's thoughts on a GnR s philosophy. I think we can agree their approach is a little different from when they toured the UYI albums. I am not saying this to draw any comparisons to the old band. Please do not turn into that. It's about Axl and the current line up and if he still wants to be the biggest band in the world. I am not even sure he wanted to be that in the past, but GnR was. GnR is still popular and gaining momentum by the day, but they are not lets say where U2 is today. Personally i would love to see them reclaim that title but maybe Axl could care less. I am just a fan and spectator with am opinion enjoying the ride.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »

Where did you explain your ridiculous "they need Axl's permission" theory?

So you read and saw multiple GN'R interviews? Which one specifically gave that impression?

Because I've seen a bunch of interviews about GN'R with Dj, Bumblefoot, Tommy, Dizzy and so on.

Did you interview any of them and they told you they're not allowed to talk about GN'R?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 03:52:39 PM »

Why you mention Pearl Jam again?

Original poster gave Pearl Jam as an example of another band who does things differently to the norm. I was staying on that theme.
3STRANG3D
Headliner

Nothing UnReal Just human

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »

Its difficult for most people to really understand present day GN'R when they do not do a lot of media. And perhaps thats due to lack of record company promotion, but it also seems to be reluctance on Axl's part based of lack of trust with the media.  So what you're left with for the vast majority of people is the image of the classic lineup.  I think the fact that Guns have been touring regularly now with a consistent lineup since 2010 helps, but they do miss out on opportunities to promote themselves by shying away from traditional media outlets. 

(and then when someone said that he was going to wreck my car, I just didnt do what to do! Keep beating the dead horse but got a new one, you know? Philos was not a friend of Sophia. Be careful with those riddles & philosophy)   

U know the reason why Axl is 'reluctant' with the media? How do you know that he is 'shying away' from  'traditional media outlets' ? Why you assume he is 'shying away'? & you also measured the degree by which he is doing his job basically & also that the record company does not back them up & something something etc etc

Ok, sorry to spil da beans on anyone's  rug, but no one can be aware of what exactly has happened except the people involved. My name is not Aristotelis btw, pls dont get that twisted, sister. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:15:23 PM by 3STRANG3D » Logged

"There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta! no more fightin wit dad! no more restraining order! no more step-da-da! no more new brother! blow her kisses bye-bye! Say mommy you love her! " Eminem BITCH!!!
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »

I don't think Guns N' Roses ever had a "philosophy". It's always been a very "do as I see fit" type of band. You can hear on their records, there is no set ground rules for anything, it's just good music for the sake of creating good music. I think this extends to everything in the GN'R world. If it seems "right" they'll do it, and if not they don't. It's not some secret formula. All the members of GN'R tweet about GN'R and each have strong personalities, if you think Axl recruited them to do as he wishes you're insane.

I don't think the band ever wanted to be the type of band where they're on every channel, every magazine, every radio show ever. It's always seemed they wanted to create good music, and deliver it to as many folks that can enjoy it.

As for the other subject being thrown out here. Do I think Axl is a driving force in the way Guns N' Roses sounds? Of course. Do I think he has a strong sense of what the band should sound like? Of Course. Do I think he has some quasi-Nazi Hitler control over what the members do and say, and somehow belittles their contribution to the band?....really what do you think? One answer is logical, the other is just stupid.  ok
3STRANG3D
Headliner

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »

ay yo puke, watch your fuckin mouth. 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:14:07 PM by 3STRANG3D » Logged

"There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta! no more fightin wit dad! no more restraining order! no more step-da-da! no more new brother! blow her kisses bye-bye! Say mommy you love her! " Eminem BITCH!!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »

What's your problem?

Nobody seems to understand your posts and now you object to somebody pointing out the absurdity of the misconception that Axl has to approve what the band members say in interviews?

/jarmo

3STRANG3D
Headliner

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 05:20:32 PM »

"........ of the misconception that Axl has to approve what the band members say in interviews? "

This Q is not a misconception, neither seems absurd to me, its like a movie I have watched many times before.

With the 'not in this lifetime' PUNCH LINE hopefully everyone will snap back to reality & gravity will just do the work.

I dont settle the measures here Jarmo, you do & I wasnt aware of your approach and still aint sure, so I might read more than post for a while 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:30:04 PM by 3STRANG3D » Logged

Regibold
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »

I'm gonna throw this out there since I haven't seen anything discussed about it. What about the possibility of GNR releasing a 7" inch single of not per say something NEW...but 2 live tracks from their tour? Record store Day is coming up, it's usually in April...all kinds of band release special limited edition items.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »

I'm gonna throw this out there since I haven't seen anything discussed about it. What about the possibility of GNR releasing a 7" inch single of not per say something NEW...but 2 live tracks from their tour? Record store Day is coming up, it's usually in April...all kinds of band release special limited edition items.

Hey man, great thought, but I have seen the list of artists releasing music for Record Store Day and GNR are not on it.  Considering its this Saturday April 21, I am not sure if its even possible to throw together anything in that amount of time. 
Regibold
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 06:23:04 PM »

Maybe next year possibly....another idea besides the web streams of their concerts that they've had recently made available to all of us.....how about making available flash drives of the audio and/or video available to the public via their website of their shows (doesn't have to be every one they do). This way when the allocated time runs out to buy the stream to watch the show, people still have a chance to get it. 
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 09:09:41 PM »

What's your problem?

Nobody seems to understand your posts and now you object to somebody pointing out the absurdity of the misconception that Axl has to approve what the band members say in interviews?

/jarmo

Why you no rike my post?

Honestly though I feel the "new philosophy for GNR" is to keep touring, dominate around the world, play sold out 3 hour a night shows, and eventually get around to a new CD. I mean with all the stuff DJ has said in interviews (though they are commonly misconstrued) and what Tommy and other members have said - I feel that 2012 is going to be a great year just like 2011 was!

ok
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »

As far as interviews goes, Duff and Slash were the ones doing most of the talking, at least in the Illusion era. Now, it seems like there isn't anyone left to do the talking. Axl hardly does any interviews and even though Bumblefoot, Tommy & DJ seems to be willing to talk, there doesn't seem to be a lot they can say or even know.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:48:27 AM by Chuzeville » Logged
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »

Why would they need a new philosophy, there's nothing wrong with the old one?

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 12:57:55 PM »

Anyone think GN'R are actually recording music for a new album now? I know they have a bunch of shows coming up but, you think they are actually making an effort to "put the pen to the paper" and actually making something special in the studio currently. Jarmo?

I would love to at least know that this is something Axl is actively trying to put together and is passionate about it. What... are we coming on 5 years since Chinese Democracy? These wild 3 hour shows are great but you know...

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: