Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 01:20:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227881 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The GN'R "Greatest Hits" thread!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The GN'R "Greatest Hits" thread!  (Read 67077 times)
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2004, 02:12:11 PM »

Everything Aerosmith DOES comes with a shiny new Greatest Hits CD.

Aerosmith celebrates Steven Tyler tying his shoes this morning by giving the fans another Hits package!!  Roll Eyes

Greatest Hits ruin everything.
Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2004, 02:20:29 PM »

Aerosmith has like 10 Greatest hits now

I will not change this Sig. until Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves or any MN teams win a Championship (10/16/06)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2004, 02:49:54 PM »

everyone is looking at this all wrong, the greatest hits is an excellent idea

everyone on this board makes one enormous mistake, we all think cause our lives revolve around gnr that they are still this enormous entity which in fact they arent

greatest hits doesnt mean we arent getting c.d. in my opinion it means we are getting it

casual fans who have forgot the band need something to refresh their memory

how bout a greatest hits cd with the versions played by the new band, that would be awesome! and it would show that the new band can play the fuck out of the new songs etc and introduce people to the new band and leave them wanting more

also maybe it will light a fire under axl's ass to get shit finished

and the greatest hits isnt gonna make such an impact it will tarnish chinese democracy, its not likepeople are gonna get the greatest hits and then not buy c.d.
most people wont even give a shit about gnr

main point and ill shut up

if gnr have a greatest hits clause in their contract, its best to get it out of the way now before the new band starts making its mark, get the old band out of the way once and for all

it would suck to release a couple new cds and the new band get popular and then have to release a greatest hits and have to rehash the old band, that would tarnish the new band

since the new band hasnt done shit yet, this doesnt hurt them at all

great time great way to reintroduce the band, i think they shouldve released it sooner but oh well

so everyone cheer up its ok, its not the end! it may actually be the beginning!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Funeral
Rocker

Welcome to the neighborhood

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2004, 02:53:09 PM »

if gnr have a greatest hits clause in their contract, its best to get it out of the way now before the new band starts making its mark, get the old band out of the way once and for all

Why wait until now?  Why not get it out of the way years ago.?

-F
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2004, 02:57:12 PM »

The only problem I currently have w/ GH is that it is supposedly being done against Axl/The Band's wishes. I don't like that.

Tom Morello had the best idea ever: unionizing musicians. It could be possible that if that had been done 10 years ago, CD would have been seen earlier.

Then again, it (more than likley)may not have anything to do with that type of issue at all.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 02:58:01 PM by PeterCoffin » Logged

Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2004, 02:57:15 PM »

At first I thought this thread had to do with Aerosmith re-recording their Nine Lives album. Joey Kramer couldn't record due to some personal problems, the death of his father I believe was one of them, so they recorded the album with a different guy (wish I could remember his name). After hearing the final mix, they decided it didn't sound very good without Kramer and waited until he could be there to record his parts, then he released the album. I thought you were getting at the old members coming back to GNR because the new material didn't sound like GNR............

anyway, but the Greatest Hits stuff with Aerosmith. Columbia released an album called Classics Live! On Aerosmith. Aerosmith had zero input on this album and many of the tracks had parts redone by Rick Dufay (I think, it was him, may have been Jimmy Crespo). This pissed Aerosmith off to no end. Just before the release of Permanent Vacation, Aerosmith released Classics Live 2!. It featured different songs than, Live!, but Aerosmith had control over this release. It was planned to be released before PV and Permanent Vacation was supposed to just blow the Live! 2 release out of the water, which it did.

Aerosmith's Gems album, which came out after the release of PV isn't a Greatest Hits album, rather, a "Songs Aerosmith Considers Great Hits album".

Part of the reason Aerosmith has so many greatest hits out is because since 1994 the band gained control of their master tapes. They became the first band ever to get their masters back after a certain period of time. In 1974, they got a raise in their royalities and their manager said to the record company, "Listen, how about after 20 years you give us the masters? It will be 1994, Aerosmith won't exist anymore, it's not gonna matter." Columbia said, "Yeah, you're right!! And signed the deal"

So, um, that's whats up with Aerosmith and Greatest Hits...

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2004, 02:59:07 PM »

I thought of the possibility that is was being released to stir interest in CD but now I think it's unlikely because it doesn't seem like a lot of effort is going into this GH. It would make sense if they released a new song or even a re-make of an old one, but these are just the same  songs we hear on the radio on an average day. If these songs haven't gotten the average joe into the band before, what is going to make them get into the band now? What is going to make them take interest in a completely new band? I also don't think Axl would  be so against if it was to help out CD. I guess we will just have to wait and see how the promotion is handled.

Although I agree, it's not as bad of an idea as most people think, but I think at this point everyone feels if they are gonna release anything it better be CD.
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2004, 03:11:16 PM »

Great idea,lookind at Greatest hits in a pozitive way. And you may be right.  GH will make people remember there's a little band out there named Guns N' Roses

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2004, 03:14:12 PM »

No, a Greatest Hits is a slap in the face to all the fans who've waited years and years for a release of Chinese Democracy.  We haven't been waiting around for a fucking Greatest Hits disc, and we don't want one.

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2004, 03:23:57 PM »

No, it is a STUPID idea.  Whether this is Guns N' Roses or not, Greatest Hits are just a money-grubbing scheme by record companies.  It's my personal opinon that a "Best of" CD should only come around when a band has thrown in the towel.

Why not wait until GN'R releases a bunch of new music and then put out a Greatest Hits when they actually HAVE enough hits to not include 5 cover songs (Honestly, the average joe doesn't even know that GN'R covered Sympathy For The Devil).  Guns N' Roses doesn't have enough material to have a GH.

Fuck, you can go buy AFD, and the Illusions for like 25 bucks!
BigCombo
Rocker

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2004, 03:43:44 PM »

If the record company was smart, they would've released that the GH CD after the VMAs.  That way, atleast the tour would've supported a product.
Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2004, 04:20:44 PM »

I think it's a horrible idea.  If they theory of "remembering a band named Guns N' Roses" it's remembering Axl, Duff, Slash, Izzy/Gilby, Matt/Steven and not the new band Dizzy not Axl, Tommy, Bucket, Robin, Fortus, Brain, Dizzy and Pittman.

I will not change this Sig. until Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves or any MN teams win a Championship (10/16/06)
Gunner101
Opening Act

gnrevolution.com

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2004, 04:21:46 PM »

You people act like the GH CD will end the world. You all seem to ignore an important point that was made...

The GH album will get the casual Gunners who arent up to date on the new band and crap and the GH will get the name back into the public view.. Then CD gets released and the sales for that do better and crap..

I think its the perfect time cause I am thinking that this is a sign that CD might be hitting stores in the next months or so and if not I can wait and live my life with no problems.

gnrevolution.com
Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2004, 04:23:45 PM »

If the record company was smart, they would've released that the GH CD after the VMAs.  That way, atleast the tour would've supported a product.

I agree, since they pretty much played the "Hits" in the Chinese Democracy Tour 2002.

PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2004, 04:34:18 PM »

Whether it's a good idea or a bad idea may not
 really matter. It's a "featured release" on CDUniverse's Geffen page:

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?style=music&cart=176855634&HT_SEARCH=XLABEL&HT_SEARCH_INFO=Geffen+Records

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2004, 05:25:23 PM »

Stop trying to put a positive spin on this gh release. Although its not the end of the world, its not a positive for this band.

I see it liek this:
 if the company is doing this for promotional reasons for cd, then its the dumbest thing ive ever seen. This gh cd has nothing to do with the new lineup. Lets say the gh doesnt sell jack shit{wich it wont,hopefully}, then the company could go to gnr and say, see you know what people dont care about gnr that much anymore we arent gonna give u a full blown promotional puch for cd. Then what? more fukin delays because gnr would get pissed and try to go somewhere else.

The negativity will continue from the public with this release. They will say where the fuck is that annoying chinese democracy. Instead gnr releases old material what a joke etc. The new band cant win. case closed.

the only way they win is if they get on the same page with the company and go ahead with cd and a full blown promotion push for cd. other than that its just getting worse.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2004, 05:40:01 PM »

Aerosmith has like 10 Greatest hits now

If u think thats bad check Alice Coopers discography, atleast 5 greatest hits have been released in the last 10 years.....

At the moment i am not for or against a greatest hits - it could be a money making scam, but it could also be CD promotion....

In 6 months maybe we will have an answer.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2004, 05:50:17 PM »

(Honestly, the average joe doesn't even know that GN'R covered Sympathy For The Devil).  Guns N' Roses doesn't have enough material to have a GH.

Yeah, it strikes me odd that theyve decided to include possibly the most obscure officially released GNR song this side of "Oh My God".

In fact, much of that tracklisting is  Huh  Two songs from The Spaghetti Incident??  On a greatest hits?  No "Estranged"?  

Im sure if they would just put out the new album, there wouldnt be a Greatest Hits.  I cant say I blame the record company...13 years since an original release and theyre still waiting for the follow-up?  I dont blame them at all.
Sephiroth Yuppie
Headliner

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2004, 07:33:54 PM »

At first I thought this thread had to do with Aerosmith re-recording their Nine Lives album. Joey Kramer couldn't record due to some personal problems, the death of his father I believe was one of them, so they recorded the album with a different guy (wish I could remember his name). After hearing the final mix, they decided it didn't sound very good without Kramer and waited until he could be there to record his parts, then he released the album. I thought you were getting at the old members coming back to GNR because the new material didn't sound like GNR............

anyway, but the Greatest Hits stuff with Aerosmith. Columbia released an album called Classics Live! On Aerosmith. Aerosmith had zero input on this album and many of the tracks had parts redone by Rick Dufay (I think, it was him, may have been Jimmy Crespo). This pissed Aerosmith off to no end. Just before the release of Permanent Vacation, Aerosmith released Classics Live 2!. It featured different songs than, Live!, but Aerosmith had control over this release. It was planned to be released before PV and Permanent Vacation was supposed to just blow the Live! 2 release out of the water, which it did.

Aerosmith's Gems album, which came out after the release of PV isn't a Greatest Hits album, rather, a "Songs Aerosmith Considers Great Hits album".

Part of the reason Aerosmith has so many greatest hits out is because since 1994 the band gained control of their master tapes. They became the first band ever to get their masters back after a certain period of time. In 1974, they got a raise in their royalities and their manager said to the record company, "Listen, how about after 20 years you give us the masters? It will be 1994, Aerosmith won't exist anymore, it's not gonna matter." Columbia said, "Yeah, you're right!! And signed the deal"

So, um, that's whats up with Aerosmith and Greatest Hits...
Thats what I mean Classics Live,sorry it was my first Aerosmith album and I almost always refeer to it as GH.
Sorry if I caused any confusion peace
ktucker450
Rocker

Don't follow my footsteps, i walk into poles

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2004, 01:02:04 AM »

Something being released with the Guns N' Roses name on it? Shocked  wholy shit lol.  I CAN'T FUCKIN WAIT, i don't know about you, but i will buy this thing first fucking day its out.  this is sweet.  I think it's a good idea too, like others have said it could be like a new chapter, leaving the bad chapter behind that had a cancelled fucking tour.  Hope it is the start of something new with this fucking band.   Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: