Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 04:50:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The GN'R "Greatest Hits" thread!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The GN'R "Greatest Hits" thread!  (Read 67074 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #400 on: October 13, 2005, 12:42:56 PM »

honestly the sales wont indicate what we can expect for CD.

What if the single is a dud?

CD will do well out of the boxc but it wont do as well as the GH. Not until CD proves itself with a single or 2.

That is not true since most of the people that bought the GHs were younger kids like 16-21, those who were not old enough to remember gnr or be around for them.  Most people who are 30 and over didnt get it  because they already have all the songs on the albums.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
You Gonna Eat That?
Rocker

Mada-Gaz-car

« Reply #401 on: October 15, 2005, 05:35:44 AM »

Does anyone know why Estranged wasnt on the Greatest Hits? was it never released as a single?

Dave Mustaine discusses the origins of the name of his band, Megadeath: "The band's name means the act of dying, but, like, really mega."
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #402 on: October 15, 2005, 06:00:01 AM »

Does anyone know why Estranged wasnt on the Greatest Hits? was it never released as a single?

Because the "Greatest Hits" were chosen by the company and not by the band, which means that they took only the songs that went high on the charts.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #403 on: October 15, 2005, 06:08:44 AM »

it was 10 min long !! took too much place Tongue

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
You Gonna Eat That?
Rocker

Mada-Gaz-car

« Reply #404 on: October 16, 2005, 01:50:05 AM »

Because the "Greatest Hits" were chosen by the company and not by the band, which means that they took only the songs that went high on the charts.
Now Im no expert on the subject, considering I was 2-3 years old when they were huge, but I didnt think Yesterdays was high on the charts, or Aint it Fun... were they?

Dave Mustaine discusses the origins of the name of his band, Megadeath: "The band's name means the act of dying, but, like, really mega."
RichardNixon
« Reply #405 on: October 16, 2005, 03:48:18 AM »

Surely "Estranged" and "Used to Love Her" would have been a better pick over "Ai't if fun." Wasn't "Estranged" on the radio a lot back in the day?
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #406 on: October 16, 2005, 05:48:18 AM »

"Yesterdays"
(Arkeen / James / McCloud / Rose)
Released: November 21, 1992 (UK)

UK Chart peak: 8

"Ain't It Fun"
(Cheetah Chrome/Peter Laughner)
Released: November 20, 1993 (UK)

UK Chart peak: 9

"Estranged"
(Rose)
Released: 1994

UK Chart peak: ?

You can do some research in then main site...

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #407 on: October 16, 2005, 05:50:24 AM »

Surely "Estranged" and "Used to Love Her" would have been a better pick over "Ai't if fun." Wasn't "Estranged" on the radio a lot back in the day?

A 10 minute song with lots of air-time? I don't think so... I've never even heard a radio mix of it. They did one for Sweet Child O Mine...

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #408 on: October 17, 2005, 10:12:15 AM »

A 10 minute song with lots of air-time? I don't think so... I've never even heard a radio mix of it. They did one for Sweet Child O Mine...

i think it`s positive that there was no radio mix....      the mixes of scom november rain and kohd suck. you just can`t remove a part of a gnr song.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #409 on: October 17, 2005, 10:46:08 AM »

i think it`s positive that there was no radio mix....? ? ? the mixes of scom november rain and kohd suck. you just can`t remove a part of a gnr song.

Like them or not, (UN)fortunately radio mixes give bands like GNR more playtime, cause most of their songs are more than 5 minutes (not good for radio producers)...

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #410 on: October 17, 2005, 03:09:49 PM »

Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird gets tons of radio play, and its just as long as Estranged.  Its a rarity, but it does happen.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #411 on: October 17, 2005, 03:14:22 PM »

Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird gets tons of radio play, and its just as long as Estranged.? Its a rarity, but it does happen.

Check the bold letters in your post and you'll find my answer...

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #412 on: October 17, 2005, 03:43:34 PM »

Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird gets tons of radio play, and its just as long as Estranged.? Its a rarity, but it does happen.

Free Bird gets tons of airplay where I live and its not a radio mix either. The longer GnR songs like Estranged and November Rain however aren't as heavily rotated as Christos said because of their length but they are in fact played most often on all-request shows or when the mood is perfect ok

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #413 on: October 18, 2005, 01:19:43 AM »

I've only heard Estraned on the radio a couple times, but I hear November Rain on the radio all the time.  Its one of the most played GN'R songs on the radio around here (NY/NJ area).

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #414 on: October 18, 2005, 04:35:17 AM »

I've only heard Estraned on the radio a couple times, but I hear November Rain on the radio all the time.? Its one of the most played GN'R songs on the radio around here (NY/NJ area).

November Rain is considered a classic these days, no wonder they're playing it too much. Besides, don't forget that back in the days they had a radio mix to play... which sucked big time,  but REALLY helped GNR get more radio time...

You Gonna Eat That?
Rocker

Mada-Gaz-car

« Reply #415 on: October 18, 2005, 05:53:16 AM »

I heard 'Patience' on the biggest mainstram radio station in Australia the other day... what makes it even better is that it was at school when I heard it on there. Ive heard November Rain on a rock station once and its cut short, and also the video was on a few weeks ago, cut short.  Angry

peace

WARose
Legend

« Reply #416 on: October 18, 2005, 08:44:21 AM »

i think it`s positive that there was no radio mix....? ? ? the mixes of scom november rain and kohd suck. you just can`t remove a part of a gnr song.

Like them or not, (UN)fortunately radio mixes give bands like GNR more playtime, cause most of their songs are more than 5 minutes (not good for radio producers)...

if bands like gnr want more playtime they should release 5 mins songs. otherwise they don`t seem to need more playtime.  i don`t know what you think but imo it`s better to not play estranged on the radio, than cutting 5 mins off.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #417 on: October 18, 2005, 09:14:55 AM »

if bands like gnr want more playtime they should release 5 mins songs. otherwise they don`t seem to need more playtime.? i don`t know what you think but imo it`s better to not play estranged on the radio, than cutting 5 mins off.

I don't get it... Can't you read? I said (UN)fortunately... What else do I need to say?

The sad truth is that radio stations do not work the way YOU or I want them to. I've seen dj's cut songs short just cause they're too lengthy.

I know radio stations that refuse to play long songs. This is the situation and everybody knows it. It's always been like that. It's not gonna change for any band. Yes, some might make a few exceptions, but as I said earlier thats a rarity.

wheelz1045
Opening Act

Hi There

« Reply #418 on: October 18, 2005, 11:20:15 AM »

I hate the Greatest Hit's CD. It' basically just has songs that everybody has already heard and get's radio play non-stop (not that that's a bad thing) but I made my own lil' mix of hits.
WARose
Legend

« Reply #419 on: October 18, 2005, 02:04:16 PM »

if bands like gnr want more playtime they should release 5 mins songs. otherwise they don`t seem to need more playtime.? i don`t know what you think but imo it`s better to not play estranged on the radio, than cutting 5 mins off.

I don't get it... Can't you read? I said (UN)fortunately... What else do I need to say?

The sad truth is that radio stations do not work the way YOU or I want them to. I've seen dj's cut songs short just cause they're too lengthy.

I know radio stations that refuse to play long songs. This is the situation and everybody knows it. It's always been like that. It's not gonna change for any band. Yes, some might make a few exceptions, but as I said earlier thats a rarity.

.....you can`t read unfortunately without the word fortunately ok

since i`m able to read and even to think about what i read, i conclude from your posts that you don`t like radio mixes of gnr songs (or songs in general), because they destroy the songs, BUT you think it`s a good way to help long singles to get more airplay.     

i meant that for a band that wants to have a succesful single, it`s easier to get airplay by releasing a 4 mins song, than releasing a 10 mins single that gets cut, or doesn`t even get any airplay. but this is not what you meant i guess......

in my last sentence, i referred to your "like them or not" and thought you might actually like them....but as i wasn`t quite sure i wrote "i don`t know what you think" beer

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: