Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 04:33:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227882 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin Finck
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Finck  (Read 64754 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2005, 10:59:18 AM »

Robin has an amazing stage presents!! And come on guys who can resist that sweet look about him! Can't wait to see him rocking with GNR soon!!!!!!!!!!
Please...Come on...Roll Eyes

What's this? You posting in a thread about Robin Finck. I'm shocked!

Maybe he's been occupying himself with birdwatching? Wink

/jarmo
http://www.robinfinck.com/birdwatch/img/img-textbook-2_2.jpg
I like his website. It's artistic.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
darkmonth
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2005, 11:09:29 AM »

The same reason Pittman's not in my avatar. He's Teddy Zig Zag 2K.

You are kidding right? Pittman does a lot more than you think. He does all the synth and effects and samples, he is going? to have a huge role when gnr play mostly new songs.

How do you know ?
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2005, 08:47:17 PM »

Robin is awesome. The dude plays with so much emotion and he just plain rocks. Hes definately the right person for gnr.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2005, 09:52:01 PM »

I think he will be better when he plays his own new GN'R material but I'll always prefer Fortus.
However, Robin seems to be a nice guy and very artistic, I like this side. He is more bluesy than I believed in fact. I especially like his little intro just before sweet child o' mine.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 09:54:29 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2005, 10:15:34 PM »

get started and whip out the robin picks, I haven't seen that many.

here's a few...

and some links for ya

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=17694.msg303787#msg303787
(finck in ciruque du soliel)
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=17662.msg303551#msg303551
(scroll down for pics of finck posted by ppbebe and scroll down some more for links to some more)

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2005, 11:45:33 AM »

I hope Robin plays the new stuff better than the old, because there were a few too many ear cringing sounds eminating from his axe on the last tour. I  have even heard unnatural pauses when he solos on the Blues. And don't get me started on that LALD solo....yikes. El stinko. 

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
usurper
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2005, 12:04:51 PM »

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2005, 12:26:42 PM »

this one is great !

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
usurper
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2005, 01:02:22 PM »

this one is great !

Why thank you.
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2005, 01:31:26 PM »

robin is cooler than slash.

Ok.   Roll Eyes

I guess this is some kind of opinion right?  Because that is just the pinnacle of lunacy, especially to state that on a GNR board.  Goddamn some of the weird things you find on a GNR forum sometimes make me want to rethink having anything to do with modern day GNR fans.  I would find a statement like that sacriliege.

On topic:  Finck is decent I guess, but he butchered the old material on tour (I was there, believe me he butchered some of it).  Maybe he will be better at playing his own material.  I too wonder why he isn't playing live anywhere.  It isn't because he is busy with GNR, that's for sure.  Maybe he is just living fat off the monthly check from GNR and figures why perform if I am living fine off this check.  Who knows.

One thing is for certain, he is no Buckethead and he is no Slash.   yes
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2005, 01:37:47 PM »

Ok.? ?Roll Eyes

I guess this is some kind of opinion right?? Because that is just the pinnacle of lunacy, especially to state that on a GNR board.? Goddamn some of the weird things you find on a GNR forum sometimes make me want to rethink having anything to do with modern day GNR fans.   I would find a statement like that sacriliege.

Slash definitely has more of an 'old school' style... in his appearance and playing.  Robin appeals to 'the modern day GN'R fans' because he displays much more of a modern day progressive style in his appearance and in his playing.  Its all a matter of taste.

Mm.  Robin.  Taste.    drool
haha!
sorry I couldn't resist adding a little more  love Robin love  love to the thread!  Wink
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2005, 01:42:47 PM »

Ok.   Roll Eyes

I guess this is some kind of opinion right?  Because that is just the pinnacle of lunacy, especially to state that on a GNR board.  Goddamn some of the weird things you find on a GNR forum sometimes make me want to rethink having anything to do with modern day GNR fans.  I would find a statement like that sacriliege.

eh fuck off.. i would find your support for $lash sacriliege considering he's suing axl and talking shit all the time.   theres nothing wrong with supporting the band that is guns n roses NOW.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2005, 01:52:33 PM »

Because that is just the pinnacle of lunacy, especially to state that on a GNR board.

Probably it's because this is not a VR board. I don't think you have anything to do with modern day GNR.

One thing is for certain, he is no Buckethead and he is no Slash.  yes

certainly he is not Buckethead or Slash. He is Robin Finck. yes
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2005, 01:57:05 PM »

Ok.? ?Roll Eyes

I guess this is some kind of opinion right?? Because that is just the pinnacle of lunacy, especially to state that on a GNR board.? Goddamn some of the weird things you find on a GNR forum sometimes make me want to rethink having anything to do with modern day GNR fans.? I would find a statement like that sacriliege.

On topic:? Finck is decent I guess, but he butchered the old material on tour (I was there, believe me he butchered some of it).? Maybe he will be better at playing his own material.? I too wonder why he isn't playing live anywhere.? It isn't because he is busy with GNR, that's for sure.? Maybe he is just living fat off the monthly check from GNR and figures why perform if I am living fine off this check.? Who knows.

One thing is for certain, he is no Buckethead and he is no Slash.? ?yes

Thank you.
I had to say something like this too.

Robin is a great guitar player. I can't even begin to figure out The Blues' solo, it's a really different style... but he was WAY too sloppy on tour. He fucked up EVERYWHERE. His solo at the end of Sweet Child O Mine at Rio was fucking excellent though.

Nine Inch Nails are one of my favorite bands. And I'm glad he doesn't use his NIN style for GNR.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2005, 01:59:47 PM »

Ok.? ?Roll Eyes

I guess this is some kind of opinion right?? Because that is just the pinnacle of lunacy, especially to state that on a GNR board.? Goddamn some of the weird things you find on a GNR forum sometimes make me want to rethink having anything to do with modern day GNR fans.? I would find a statement like that sacriliege.

eh fuck off.. i would find your support for $lash sacriliege considering he's suing axl and talking shit all the time.? ?theres nothing wrong with supporting the band that is guns n roses NOW.

exactly ?ok

I'm sure he'll play his own material just great ! He's a different kind of guitarist altogether when compared to slash, the solos he did on rock in rio 3 rock !!

I stand by what I said, in my opinion robin finck is cooler than Slash, even though slash's work on the old gnr records pretty much bury everything Robin has ever done...

Let's wait and see what he'll do on chidem.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2005, 02:30:25 PM »

Ok.   Roll Eyes

On topic:  Finck is decent I guess, but he butchered the old material on tour (I was there, believe me he butchered some of it).  Maybe he will be better at playing his own material.  I too wonder why he isn't playing live anywhere.  It isn't because he is busy with GNR, that's for sure.  Maybe he is just living fat off the monthly check from GNR and figures why perform if I am living fine off this check.  Who knows.

One thing is for certain, he is no Buckethead and he is no Slash.   yes

Thank you.
I had to say something like this too.

Robin is a great guitar player. I can't even begin to figure out The Blues' solo, it's a really different style... but he was WAY too sloppy on tour. He fucked up EVERYWHERE. His solo at the end of Sweet Child O Mine at Rio was fucking excellent though.

Nine Inch Nails are one of my favorite bands. And I'm glad he doesn't use his NIN style for GNR.

exactly what I said a few posts up. For a professional, Robin hit far too many sour notes. I can't figure out if he was just bored or he naturally is as sloppy as that, but I pray he is more efficient in the studio.  That being said, Bucket was easily the best guitarist on stage during that 2002 tour; Finck has a cool image but his solos on SCOM, NR, and LALD were suprisingly subpar.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2005, 03:57:53 PM »

Maybe Robin Finck is a cool and warm guy, but he doesn't deserve to play solo for Guns N' Roses since he can't handle the job. I could have understood Axl's choices for the new musicians, but Robin...  no He makes as much mistakes as a 12 year old kid in his first year of giutar playing. I hope he's much better in the studio (I couldn't name any track he plays on except of SCOM v2 and maybe OMG), but his parts in SCOM... I wish Axl would direct to him to a guitar teacher, there are some in Hollywood.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2005, 04:09:44 PM »

Could someone please link me to some mp3s and time locations where Robin supposedly makes all these mistakes?  I've listened to lots of bootlegs, and I've hardly heard any mistakes made by him.

Are you sure he's not just playing the solo differently that how some of you would like to hear it, and therefore you're considering it a "mistake"?

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2005, 04:47:33 PM »

Could someone please link me to some mp3s and time locations where Robin supposedly makes all these mistakes?  I've listened to lots of bootlegs, and I've hardly heard any mistakes made by him.

Are you sure he's not just playing the solo differently that how some of you would like to hear it, and therefore you're considering it a "mistake"?

he doesn't usually make mistakes.. no more then any other guitarist out there.  and yes, slash fucks up live too just as much as the next person.   most of the people dogging on robin's skillz actually are just very bitter $lash fans who have yet to get over the fact that $lash was replaced with someone just as good with a more modern and versatile style Wink
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2005, 04:48:32 PM »

If you compare any of the SBs to, say, Paris 92, you can hear a big difference between Slash and Finck.

From what I remember from the 2002 tour, Finck and Fortus shared the first two solos on NR while Bucket perfomred the outro. Not being a guitar freak myself, I can only give you my impressions of what I heard. It appears at times that Finck falls behind the melody, possibily lingering a bit too long on certain notes and even skipping portions in order to catch up. If you compare the outros, Bucket is consistently very smooth and accurate; his solos don't sound rushed or incomplete.  Finck's Blues solo varies from show to show, but I believe you can hear the choppiness of the solo on the Pittsburgh SB. It's just not smooth on the ear.

LALD was an unmitigated disaster during the Asian leg; I'm not sure if Brain was the one who screwed up or not, but Finck's solo was quite lacking. there are other examples, but those are the ones that stood out in my mind.

I appreciate Finck's NIN work very much, although I am in doubt as to how much of NIN's music he participate in writing, but I much prefer a smooth sounding guitar to the inefficient choppiness that Finck demonstrated from the shows I witnessed.

And, no, I'm not a bitter $lash fan. I loved the 2002 band very much, but I currently have doubts about what remains without the Bucket.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 04:53:22 PM by killingvector » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: