Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 08:02:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227862 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  OPEN LETTER TO FERNANDO
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: OPEN LETTER TO FERNANDO  (Read 41964 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2020, 12:20:16 PM »

in a way, yes, Pearl Jam did keep their fans updated, and they released an album in a very reasonable amount of time. Band members started talking about it in interviews in late 2018 and throughout 2019. They consistently said they were hoping for a late 2019 release, but would release it when it was done.

Yeah, interviews. I meant social media and so on.

Just like with GN'R, band members talk about the process of making an album in interviews.

/jarmo

The difference being (between GNR and other bands) is that all the updates and talk tend to end with, you know, an album actually being released.  With GNR that game can go on for years on end.  I hope this time is different.  They certainly have every opportunity to make it a reality this time.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2020, 02:38:05 PM »

in a way, yes, Pearl Jam did keep their fans updated, and they released an album in a very reasonable amount of time. Band members started talking about it in interviews in late 2018 and throughout 2019. They consistently said they were hoping for a late 2019 release, but would release it when it was done.

Yeah, interviews. I meant social media and so on.

Just like with GN'R, band members talk about the process of making an album in interviews.

/jarmo

The difference being (between GNR and other bands) is that all the updates and talk tend to end with, you know, an album actually being released.  With GNR that game can go on for years on end.  I hope this time is different.  They certainly have every opportunity to make it a reality this time.

The European tour has been labelled 'new chapter' but I have not seen that attached to the SA tour unless someone else has spotted it. So that implies new album stuff will be out, or at least known about, by then.

That is the way I am looking at it.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2020, 08:04:40 PM »

Even back in the UYI days, who did all the press?  Who was sent out to glad hand with the local radio DJs and whatnot?  Slash and Duff.

Only big time interview I recall Axl doing was that rambling one in 'Rolling Stone' in early 1992 where he comes off like a total loon.

I actually think one of the things that doomed CD era GNR was that Axl had no Slash or Duff.  That's to say, no one established enough in the eyes of the public to do the press for the band Axl didn't feel like doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MhLlhXyMkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXldFtsxEXM

Also, back then Axl would just rant during a show to the audience if he had something to say. In a way, that was him subverting the media and getting his message out directly to the fans, unfiltered and not taken out of context. I kind of wish he would do that more today because I wonder where his head is at.

As far as the Pearl Jam comparison, to be fair, Pearl jam were off the road for the entire year of 2019.

And AC/DC are not exactly the best comparison to make that argument, seeing as they were spotted in the studio in 2018 and have been radio silent ever since. There is actually LESS known about that album than what Guns is up to. It's nearing two years since those photos leaked and there has been not a word on it since, despite endless rumors that never pan out to anything.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2020, 06:03:27 AM »

Well to be fair, 2016 until last November GN'R were mostly in tour mode.

It also seems to be assumed by some, that if no one says anything, nothing is happening. Yet Axl recorded a song for Looney Tunes and they out it put out of the blue....

One of the reasons why we knew about possible recording taking place was an outsider posting pics of gear meant to be used for recording sessions. The band didn't say anything....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2020, 07:24:33 PM »

Even back in the UYI days, who did all the press?  Who was sent out to glad hand with the local radio DJs and whatnot?  Slash and Duff.

Only big time interview I recall Axl doing was that rambling one in 'Rolling Stone' in early 1992 where he comes off like a total loon.

I actually think one of the things that doomed CD era GNR was that Axl had no Slash or Duff.  That's to say, no one established enough in the eyes of the public to do the press for the band Axl didn't feel like doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MhLlhXyMkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXldFtsxEXM

Also, back then Axl would just rant during a show to the audience if he had something to say. In a way, that was him subverting the media and getting his message out directly to the fans, unfiltered and not taken out of context. I kind of wish he would do that more today because I wonder where his head is at.

As far as the Pearl Jam comparison, to be fair, Pearl jam were off the road for the entire year of 2019.

And AC/DC are not exactly the best comparison to make that argument, seeing as they were spotted in the studio in 2018 and have been radio silent ever since. There is actually LESS known about that album than what Guns is up to. It's nearing two years since those photos leaked and there has been not a word on it since, despite endless rumors that never pan out to anything.

Yeah, Axl subverting the media and using his shows to get his word out unfiltered and in context, directly to his fans, is pretty much what Trump does with Twitter.  New technology, same bottom line.  😉

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2020, 09:44:31 PM »

Well one show down and no new music, same old same old

Rizzo160
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2020, 11:05:37 AM »

Jarmo, if it pleases you, you can go ahead and either delete this thread outright, or move it to Dead Horse. 

Fernando obviously does not want to take an iota of responsibility for his comments, and will not be responding to this thread.  It's pretty obvious that the forthcoming tour *will not* be in support of new music.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2020, 11:12:19 AM »

Jarmo, if it pleases you, you can go ahead and either delete this thread outright, or move it to Dead Horse. 

Fernando obviously does not want to take an iota of responsibility for his comments, and will not be responding to this thread.  It's pretty obvious that the forthcoming tour *will not* be in support of new music.

How come it's obvious?

The Euro/NA tour doesn't even have any official name yet, other than "2020 tour". Personally, I think it'll get a name when a new album gets announced.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »

Fernando obviously does not want to take an iota of responsibility for his comments, and will not be responding to this thread.  It's pretty obvious that the forthcoming tour *will not* be in support of new music.

How come it's obvious?

The Euro/NA tour doesn't even have any official name yet, other than "2020 tour". Personally, I think it'll get a name when a new album gets announced.

If we're thinking with our heads, and not our hearts, we'd realize that an album announcement and/or single would have re-branded this upcoming tour properly, without using coy and misleading "The Next Chapter!" taglines, that don't mean a God damn thing.

If they're not doing this now to push THIS WEEK'S ticket sales, it's wildly naive to think they'll randomly do this in in March.....or April, or May, or June, etc. etc. etc.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2020, 11:32:30 AM »

If we're thinking with our heads, and not our hearts, we'd realize that an album announcement and/or single would have re-branded this upcoming tour properly, without using coy and misleading "The Next Chapter!" taglines, that don't mean a God damn thing.

Thing is, GN'R seem to come through when the fewest people have any faith it will happen (release of CD, reunion of Axl/Slash). Frustratingly late yes, but if history is any indication....

If they're not doing this now to push THIS WEEK'S ticket sales, it's wildly naive to think they'll randomly do this in in March.....or April, or May, or June, etc. etc. etc.

If they'll announce new music in March or April, how can one characterize that as "random"? More like "expected" in my eyes, given the plans for the summer (and given the topic at hand, Fernando confirmed that there is intention of new music).

Sweetness is a virtue
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2020, 11:58:46 AM »

Thing is, GN'R seem to come through when the fewest people have any faith it will happen (release of CD, reunion of Axl/Slash). Frustratingly late yes, but if history is any indication....

If they'll announce new music in March or April, how can one characterize that as "random"? More like "expected" in my eyes, given the plans for the summer (and given the topic at hand, Fernando confirmed that there is intention of new music).

Well, I certainly hope that this release does not echo that of Chinese, where it comes during a time of complete inactivity when GNR is not really on the collective radar with little promotion from the band itself.

Also, we've seen that Axl struggles with touring and figuring out how to release music at the same time.  We constantly hear things like "Right now the tour has been our focus. Hopefully after...yada yada yada". Once this train starts moving in March, it's going to continue AT LEAST through August/September.  With any other band, one wouldn't negate the other, but with GNR, it always does for some reason.  If history is any indicator, that will more than likely be the case in 2020.  It sucks, but that's how this ship has been allowed to sail.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2020, 12:02:10 PM »

Well, I certainly hope that this release does not echo that of Chinese, where it comes during a time of complete inactivity when GNR is not really on the collective radar with little promotion from the band itself.

Also, we've seen that Axl struggles with touring and figuring out how to release music at the same time.  We constantly hear things like "Right now the tour has been our focus. Hopefully after...yada yada yada". Once this train starts moving in March, it's going to continue AT LEAST through August/September.  With any other band, one wouldn't negate the other, but with GNR, it always does for some reason.  If history is any indicator, that will more than likely be the case in 2020.  It sucks, but that's how this ship has been allowed to sail.

The indication I've got is that the band is done recording. According to Slash, it was more a matter of how to release it.

If that's the case, I can't see any need of divided attention between the road and the studio.

Sweetness is a virtue
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2020, 12:04:25 PM »

Also, we've seen that Axl struggles with touring and figuring out how to release music at the same time.  We constantly hear things like "Right now the tour has been our focus. Hopefully after...yada yada yada". Once this train starts moving in March, it's going to continue AT LEAST through August/September.  With any other band, one wouldn't negate the other, but with GNR, it always does for some reason.  If history is any indicator, that will more than likely be the case in 2020.  It sucks, but that's how this ship has been allowed to sail.

The indication I've got is that the band is done recording. According to Slash, it was more a matter of how to release it.

If that's the case, I can't see any need of divided attention between the road and the studio.

I 100% hope you're right.  And agree, it *shouldn't* factor into whether new music gets released.  However, 1 new album in nearly 30 years doesn't exactly put the odds in our favor of Axl and Fernando getting their shit together to make both work together this year.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2020, 12:07:07 PM »

I 100% hope you're right.  And agree, it *shouldn't* factor into whether new music gets released.  However, 1 new album in nearly 30 years doesn't exactly put the odds in our favor of Axl and Fernando getting their shit together to make both work together this year.

Right back to my previous comment, GN'R historically comes through in the 11th hour.

Sweetness is a virtue
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2020, 01:59:10 PM »

How do you know? You're the one asking for reassurance two months before his so called promise has been proven wrong....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2020, 02:12:24 PM »

How do you know? You're the one asking for reassurance two months before his so called promise has been proven wrong....

/jarmo

I guess we'll find out soon enough.  Hope you're right!
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »

Someone asked Fernando on Reddit Monday if we could still expect an album this year, and he replied with a "fingers crossed" emoji.

So THAT is his response?! Man, am I glad I didn't buy tickets yesterday. Fuuuuck this.
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2020, 11:24:50 AM »

Someone asked Fernando on Reddit Monday if we could still expect an album this year, and he replied with a "fingers crossed" emoji.

So THAT is his response?! Man, am I glad I didn't buy tickets yesterday. Fuuuuck this.

I choose to see that as a glass half full situation. A way of eluding to a yes without spoiling anything.

They’re not going to drop news of a new album in a response on reddit. Marketing tie ins and stuff like that have to be sorted.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2020, 11:27:01 AM »

I choose to see that as a glass half full situation. A way of eluding to a yes without spoiling anything.

They’re not going to drop news of a new album in a response on reddit. Marketing tie ins and stuff like that have to be sorted.

I may be jaded, but a "fingers crossed" emoji might as well have been "LOL no fucking way" in GNR-speak.  Pretty damn sad, however on-brand.
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2020, 11:35:10 AM »

I may be jaded, but a "fingers crossed" emoji might as well have been "LOL no fucking way" in GNR-speak.  Pretty damn sad, however on-brand.

Sure, they could release nothing, they could never put out a new song ever again. But at least there’s a chance. I’m a huge rush fan, I’ll never get another new rush album ever again. Add Chris Cornell and Tom petty to that list.

It’s a matter of perspective. I tend to believe something will come out eventually, but I’m not going to lose sleep over it not happening either.

But I do think it’s interesting that he ballparked March last year, and there was a shamrock emoji in that deleted Instagram... that kind of lines up. They can’t just release an album, there’s going to be a huge expectation for it to be their best album yet, and they need it to perform better than CD, so marketing deals have to be figured out and made first. Best thing to do is wait until March, then on April 1st come back here and say “I told you so”.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: